Rosin Press: Information Thread

I don't mind post away! The CarbonX purchase page is hidden and if the link does not work go to ExtraktLab.com go to the store page, then in the top right corner "Enter with Password" the password is lab . click on CarbonX a couple of times to get to the order page. They are really into the big extraction houses and I don't think they really want to sell to us DIY guys. They raised the price recently also!

Thank you for the password, seems like a good product.

THE METHOD:

This is started with the ingredients at room temperature.

1. Break up the buds into small pieces by hand (do not grind or chop) and put in a mason jar. Trim goes into the jar whole.

2. Pour over the room temperature ethanol enough to cover the buds/trim seal and shake every minute for 5 minutes.

3. Strain through a fine screen into another Mason jar and place in the freezer overnight to winterize it.

4. Next, filter through the Buchner filter with a #1 paper; put back in the Mason jar add 10 g. of CarbonX. Swirl this around occasionally all day.

5. The next day filter out the CarbonX using the Buchner filter with #2 filter papers. I need to run this 3 or 4 times to get all of the CarbonX back. I put the filter papers with CarbonX cake in a bowl and place them outside to dry. We can regenerate the CarbonX later.

6. Put the QWET in the Pyrex pan and evaporate outdoors. When the ethanol and water (water turns white) have evaporated out almost completely scrape out the concentrate and put in the silicone container. Place the container in the freezer for a while. This makes it easier to handle.

7. After frozen just bend the silicone container to break the concentrate into pieces that are easier to weigh out. Measure out into the beaker the amount you want to dilute for the cartridges up to 5 g. max in the 50 ml beaker (this will foam up a lot while decarbing keep your eye on it to prevent overflow).

8. Decarboxylate the concentrate on the hot plate @ 252°F for 27 minutes. Remove the beaker and while still hot add .2g (+or-) of Viscosity per gram of concentrate.

9. Next add .1g to .2g per gram of original weight (or more to your taste) of strain specific terpenes. I use the syringe with the blunt needle to stir with. You want the final consistency to be like cold maple syrup when at room temperature.

10. Have a coffee cup of boiling hot water handy to keep the extract thin while working with it. Just hold the beaker bottom in the hot water and stir. Fill your cartridges and enjoy. Flavored terpenes disperse in better while sitting overnight in the cartridges.

It is important to note that regular activated carbon should not be used for two reasons: 1. Heavy metals will be leached out of the activated carbon into the QWET. These metals are toxic and cumulative making your meds poison. 2. THC, CBD and other active components of the QWET are absorbed into the activated carbon diluting the medicine we are trying to purify. CarbonX is engineered to prevent this from happening while still pulling chlorophyll and other impurities out of the QWET.

Yes I have and it does not work for shit! I have tried all kinds of thinners with rosin and none of them are satisfactory. There is just to much wax in rosin. I have moved to a QWET process for making vape juice. I don't like the idea of any solvent but ethanol would be the best of them as far as toxicity is concerned.

Here is that process from beginning to end:

QWET to VAPE - No PG, VG, or MCT.

Warning: 200 proof Ethanol is highly flammable and it burns with a colorless flame. It can be on fire and you will not know it. Vapors are heavier than air and can pool in an enclosed space and become explosive. Handle in a well ventilated area with no open flames or sources for ignition. The evaporation phase would be the most dangerous.

Inputs:

1L - 200 Proof Ethanol (at least 151 proof).

1 oz. or more good bud or trim.

10 g. CarbonX.

.2 g. Viscosity Terpene Thinner per gram of concentrate.

.1g. to .2 g. of strain specific flavor terpenes per gram of concentrate.

Tools:

Optional distiller (Green Machine Clone) this will pay for itself in 5 runs. Ethanol is about $50 per liter delivered here. $18 worth of cheap vodka 40% (3.5 L) distilled will yield ~1.5 liters of 185 Proof ethanol. A savings of $57 dollars per cycle. Run the vodka through the distiller twice. The first time fill the 1.75 L vodka bottle with distillate. Dump the water in the distiller refill from the first run and run again. The second time fill the 1.75L bottle with distillate to just above the top label ~1.5L.

A Buchner Filter system and #1, and #2 filter papers. I got a disposable one cheap that I was able to modify with sand paper to be an excellent reusable system – cheap.

A vacuum pump. I just use a hand pump for brake lines I already had. An electric one is not expensive.

Small 50 ML borosilicate beaker.

Precision controlled hot plate – no open flames! I use the bottom plate of my rosin press.

A Pyrex pie pan or similar.

A drying box. Just a fan running over your pan covered with panty hose (keeps dust out) will work. DO THIS OUTDOORS!

Scraper (razor blade), Silicone container.

Syringes and 14ga. Dispensing needles.

1ml droppers.

1ml and .5ml Disposable Cartridges. (I like these but I am always trying new ones).

Misc. Strainers, containers etc.

THE METHOD:

This is started with the ingredients at room temperature. Break up the buds into small pieces by hand (do not grind or chop) and put in a mason jar. Trim goes into the jar whole. Pour over the room temperature ethanol enough to cover the buds/trim seal and shake every minute for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine screen into another Mason jar and place in the freezer overnight to winterize it. Next, filter through the Buchner filter with a #1 paper; put back in the Mason jar add 10 g. of CarbonX. Swirl this around occasionally all day. The next day filter out the CarbonX using the Buchner filter with #2 filter papers. I need to run this 3 or 4 times to get all of the CarbonX back. I put the filter papers with CarbonX cake in a bowl and place them outside to dry. We can regenerate the CarbonX later. Put the QWET in the Pyrex pan and evaporate outdoors. When the ethanol and water (water turns white) have evaporated out almost completely scrape out the concentrate and put in the silicone container. Place the container in the freezer for a while. This makes it easier to handle. After frozen just bend the silicone container to break the concentrate into pieces that are easier to weigh out. Measure out into the beaker the amount you want to dilute for the cartridges up to 5 g. max in the 50 ml beaker (this will foam up a lot while decarbing keep your eye on it to prevent overflow). Decarboxylate the concentrate on the hot plate @ 252°F for 27 minutes. Remove the beaker and while still hot add .2g (+or-) of Viscosity per gram of concentrate. Next add .1g to .2g per gram of original weight (or more to your taste) of strain specific terpenes. I use the syringe with the blunt needle to stir with. You want the final consistency to be like cold maple syrup when at room temperature. Have a coffee cup of boiling hot water handy to keep the extract thin while working with it. Just hold the beaker bottom in the hot water and stir. Fill your cartridges and enjoy. Flavored terpenes disperse in better while sitting overnight in the cartridges.

Reclaim your CarbonX: Do this when you are distilling off the vodka for process ethanol. Set up your Buchner filter with a #2 filter. As soon as your vodka finishes the second pass in the distiller and is hot and ~185 proof fill the top of the Buchner filter with hot ethanol start the vacuum and pour in the dirty CarbonX stir well as it filters maybe pour over some more hot ethanol but leave ½ of the bottom container for the water wash. Have some distilled water boiling hot to pour over the CarbonX for a final rinse. Adding this to the top of the Buchner before all of the ethanol drains out keeps the vacuum seal going and the CarbonX will not bypass the filter edges. Wash with the hot water. Filter all of the CarbonX out. It may take several passes depending on how good you are at keeping the filter edges sealed during the process. Put the filter papers in a bowl to dry. The CarbonX is ready to use again. I lose about 1g of CarbonX in this overall process per jar of QWET. Re-distill the ethanol out of the wash and discard the remaining water.

I built a drying box with a cardboard letter storage box. I cut the lid and glued an AC filter to it. Then I put a cardboard flat on top to keep direct sunlight out with holes cut in the side to let air out. Then I attached a fan connected to a filter can I was not using to blow clean air past the QWET in the Pyrex dish. Be sure to blow air in – Do not suck air out. It could explode!

If you do not have a precision hot plate you can decarb in a hot oil bath. Put your extract in a small mason jar and immerse it an inch or so in hot oil @252°F for 27 minutes.

The disposable Buchner filter is supposed to be a use once throw away device. By carefully removing the original filter material after it wore out (3 uses) and sanding a ½” smooth filter seat around the inside bottom edge; I am able to use 90mm round filter papers in it. This makes it reusable and excellent for my purpose. Really CHEAP!

Dark honey red brown is the lightest color I achieved with older cured buds. I got a really light golden extract with fresh frozen LARF but this is just not available all of the time when needed.
This is where I get lost I have zero lab experience, is this the type of Buchner Filter system you are talking about?
full

And the 50 ML borosilicate beaker something like
full

Wow I just went back and looked all of the original links are gone? Is 420mag deleting them? To make the funnel reusable after the first use carefully remove the filter membrane and sand a smooth seal surface around the inside edge about 1/2 inch wide with 600 grit. I used 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper to finish it. Then you need to get 90mm lab filter paper in two grades #1 and #2.
b2.jpg
b3.jpg

Wow I just went back and looked all of the original links are gone? Is 420mag deleting them? To make the funnel reusable after the first use carefully remove the filter membrane and sand a smooth seal surface around the inside edge about 1/2 inch wide with 600 grit. I used 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper to finish it. Then you need to get 90mm lab filter paper in two grades #1 and #2.
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
Do you have a Viscosity Terpene Thinner that you like?
I was ordering and in the method step 7 you said to use a 50ml beaker but the beakers you show for the link has a 5,10, and 25ml, was 50ml suppose to be 5?

Do you have a Viscosity Terpene Thinner that you like?
I was ordering and in the method step 7 you said to use a 50ml beaker but the beakers you show for the link has a 5,10, and 25ml, was 50ml suppose to be 5?
I wish I would have never ask the beaker question now that I converted 5ml to .17oz.
I did try and order True Trepenes Viscosity Extract Liquifier, and my bank flaged my card because it was in Mexico. I have to revisit that.

Yes, I use the True Terpenes Viscosity. I bought it off their website not sure but I thought they were in CO?
I believe I have every thing except the True Terpenes Viscosity, I am hoping to put that off for a couple weeks while I recoup a little $. I have some wax liquidizer, I take it you like to stay away from the PG stuff, but I thought I could get rid of some while I make a couple practice runs of the qwet. From what I read I should be able to mix the Delta9 Durban Poison with wax liquidizer original which has no flavor, do you have any recommendations for that? As far as adding .1g of the terpenes are you weighing a dropper loading it and weighing out .1g to get that small of an amount? I had to get the Whatman filters grade 1 they were out of the Supertek 1 but had the 2. Dang the Whatmans were more then twice the price. Thanks for your patience and advice you may have.

I believe I have every thing except the True Terpenes Viscosity, I am hoping to put that off for a couple weeks while I recoup a little $. I have some wax liquidizer, I take it you like to stay away from the PG stuff, but I thought I could get rid of some while I make a couple practice runs of the qwet. From what I read I should be able to mix the Delta9 Durban Poison with wax liquidizer original which has no flavor, do you have any recommendations for that? As far as adding .1g of the terpenes are you weighing a dropper loading it and weighing out .1g to get that small of an amount? I had to get the Whatman filters grade 1 they were out of the Supertek 1 but had the 2. Dang the Whatmans were more then twice the price. Thanks for your patience and advice you may have.
I just did a run of fresh frozen LARFY BUDS from a harvest of Zambeza Blueberry and World of Seeds Wild Thailand. I had 8 Qt. jars loosely packed and the Yield was 15g. I am making a video so I used the CarbonX but it did not need it. Cured Bud and Rosin Pucks need it.

My scale works down to hundreds of a gram. I usually only mix a gram at a time. I put the gram of concentrate in the beaker, zero out the scale drop in 0.2 g of strain terpenes and 0.2 g Viscosity. Heat in hot water, blend and put in the cart. You need to play around with the terpenes and thinner.

PS Have fun and be safe.

I just did a run of fresh frozen LARFY BUDS from a harvest of Zambeza Blueberry and World of Seeds Wild Thailand. I had 8 Qt. jars loosely packed and the Yield was 15g. I am making a video so I used the CarbonX but it did not need it. Cured Bud and Rosin Pucks need it.

My scale works down to hundreds of a gram. I usually only mix a gram at a time. I put the gram of concentrate in the beaker, zero out the scale drop in 0.2 g of strain terpenes and 0.2 g Viscosity. Heat in hot water, blend and put in the cart. You need to play around with the terpenes and thinner.
Wonder what it is about the larf, do you feel its still got the potency? My harvest is early in its cure at about 70% RH so I picked through it and pulled out 7g of larf and did about a 5 min wash, when I was jarring it I was seeing a lot of trichomes still on the plant so I did another separate 5 min. Does the first pic look proper for a 5 min wash, and do you think I got to many undesirables in the 2nd pic/wash?

To me LARF is any wispy bud that when dried will not be visually appealing. I used to make it into butter. It is still very potent when concentrated in the QWET process.

The first looks pretty clean the second has picked up some chlorophyll. CarbonX the second one the first will be ok as is.

To me LARF is any wispy bud that when dried will not be visually appealing. I used to make it into butter. It is still very potent when concentrated in the QWET process.

The first looks pretty clean the second has picked up some chlorophyll. CarbonX the second one the first will be ok as is.
I forgot to mention your video, if its any thing like your chocolate video it should be good.
The filter process went well, the CarbonX completely removed all the bright green color from that second run, unbelievable, It has only a faint hint of caramel color to it. It is evaporating out side, covered with panty hose, should not have to worry about bugs anyway frost warnings tonight.
About how many grams of produce does it take to get a gram of return, on average?

I forgot to mention your video, if its any thing like your chocolate video it should be good.
The filter process went well, the CarbonX completely removed all the bright green color from that second run, unbelievable, It has only a faint hint of caramel color to it. It is evaporating out side, covered with panty hose, should not have to worry about bugs anyway frost warnings tonight.
About how many grams of produce does it take to get a gram of return, on average?
If you have a seed warming mat put it under the QWET. It would not take much heat to make the ethanol evaporate out on a cold night.

If you have a seed warming mat put it under the QWET. It would not take much heat to make the ethanol evaporate out on a cold night.
I seen that window of evaporate till almost dry this morning but I had to wait till this afternoon and it had dried up, what a mess but I added a little everclear and manage to get it into silicon as it was evaporating. That 2nd run had next to nothing, over all I got .83g . Tomorrow into the carts.

I seen that window of evaporate till almost dry this morning but I had to wait till this afternoon and it had dried up, what a mess but I added a little everclear and manage to get it into silicon as it was evaporating. That 2nd run had next to nothing, over all I got .83g . Tomorrow into the carts.
How much and what type of material did you run? I have had variable results from different strains. It takes more bud than you think. I had 8 QT jars full of high quality LARF to get 15g. of extract.

How much and what type of material did you run? I have had variable results from different strains. It takes more bud than you think. I had 8 QT jars full of high quality LARF to get 15g. of extract.
Its good to be back I have been away for a week now. I used 7g of larfy Orient Express, it was drying and was at about 70% when I did this, and I got .83g. I hang out with the good folks @Doc Bud: High Brix Q&A With Pictures. I was doing the low and slow drying method. The OE is more a social buzz pulse I am cutting it with liquidizer so its not real potent, but the vape pen came in real handy all week.

I used a flavored wax liquidizer at a 1:1 , they recommend 2:1 (liquidizer / extract) it vaped well but I ended up having to use my variable voltage batt starting today in order to get a decent hit. I believe it was better vaping then pressed rosin. Next time I am using the Durbin Poison terps, that flavored shit sucks. The extract was a challenge handling, it can get messy quick, I lost a lot just handling it. I need to get better so that I can have more accurate readings. I also need to get Viscosity.

Its good to be back I have been away for a week now. I used 7g of larfy Orient Express, it was drying and was at about 70% when I did this, and I got .83g. I hang out with the good folks @Doc Bud: High Brix Q&A With Pictures. I was doing the low and slow drying method. The OE is more a social buzz pulse I am cutting it with liquidizer so its not real potent, but the vape pen came in real handy all week.

I used a flavored wax liquidizer at a 1:1 , they recommend 2:1 (liquidizer / extract) it vaped well but I ended up having to use my variable voltage batt starting today in order to get a decent hit. I believe it was better vaping then pressed rosin. Next time I am using the Durbin Poison terps, that flavored shit sucks. The extract was a challenge handling, it can get messy quick, I lost a lot just handling it. I need to get better so that I can have more accurate readings. I also need to get Viscosity.
When I first started handling it I lost as much as I got:eek:. It is a skill. I use terpenes exclusively to thin. here is the ratio that works best for me 1g QWET .2g strain specific terpenes, .2g Viscosity. Sometimes I need to make the cartridge water tight with a single layer of plastic wrap and dip the cartridge in hot water. It makes the liquid thinner and opens the passage ways for a much better hit. I only need two small hits to get baked.

When I first started handling it I lost as much as I got:eek:. It is a skill. I use terpenes exclusively to thin. here is the ratio that works best for me 1g QWET .2g strain specific terpenes, .2g Viscosity. Sometimes I need to make the cartridge water tight with a single layer of plastic wrap and dip the cartridge in hot water. It makes the liquid thinner and opens the passage ways for a much better hit. I only need two small hits to get baked.
I think I paid $4.50 ea. for them Amigo Liberty V9 cartridge on ebay, seems to do the job but I haven't found a perfect one yet. Thanks for sharing the ratio.

Back
Top Bottom