Rosin Press: Information Thread

Try keeping the gun at a 90°angle to the surface so the beam can bounce straight back. The nicer guns allow you to adjust for the emissivity of your test surface as well. This could potentially skew your results. I leave mine on wood for the most part as I'm checking leaf surface temp most commonly.

Masking tape will work. That’s what I used. Now I just go by my PID temp since I know they’re close. I haven’t calibrated in awhile though. I’m pretty happy with my returns on this beast. I think the 20 tons of squishing compensates for my lack of knowledge. :passitleft:

Hey all! I bit the bullet and purchased a rosin kit. They are 5x5 in size (so I can press more at once). 380 shipped to me with controller and all. Bolted it up to a 12 ton H frame. Love it so far. Should be pressing close to a LB over the next week.

b56704301528d459e1287d53925fddf9.jpg

ff4cf89c968a6ba7d3be1f9eb6280a68.jpg
77880d07c19d8244b2daffa4aa452a78.jpg
How are you getting such a high yield. I have a 20 ton setup set at 315 degree Fahrenheit. And push down on the bottle jack until i cant press any more for about 3 or 4 minutes. I dont get huge runs down the parchment paper. Sometimes only getting 13 to 15 percent yield.

Attachments

• 20180804_173736.jpg
    20180804_173736.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 20180804_171836.jpg
    20180804_171836.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 251
How are you getting such a high yield. I have a 20 ton setup set at 315 degree Fahrenheit. And push down on the bottle jack until i cant press any more for about 3 or 4 minutes. I dont get huge runs down the parchment paper. Sometimes only getting 13 to 15 percent yield.

Looks pretty yummy to me! Just sayin.

I don’t go that high with my temps. I’m around 225F. I’m averaging 20% with this GG.

anyone heard of or trying a Slug.33?

You can press a gram at a time with this one.
I tried it with SweetSue and got decent results, so I bought one and got poor results and went through 5 grams so far and only got one positive result of oil. The others were just weed that squished out the side.

My plates were actually at 200 surface temp with the controllers that high. So there is temperature loss. Have you checked your suface temp?

I have, but it was quite some time ago. I’m getting really good results so I don’t want to jinx it... :smokin:

I tried it with SweetSue and got decent results, so I bought one and got poor results and went through 5 grams so far and only got one positive result of oil. The others were just weed that squished out the side.

Oh good...just take my money. :ganjamon: Want.

Im looking for quantity. Would actually like to get bigger plates. Im only pressing 8gs at a time.

I had a little better results today with the Slug33
I picked a bud of Panama last week that looked like just the start of some budrot.
It was dry today and I thought I'd give the Slug another shot.
The bud was 1.8g so each press got .9g
Not much resin, but very clean looking.
Good buzz, but I consumed the one on the right already.

I had a little better results with the Slug33 today.
I pressed some of my recent Panama1, I dried some buds that had been near the bud rot. not to waste them.

this one was the best press, the other two were about half of this

this is all 3 presses combined

Just going to plop this right here...Cheers! :bong:

Started with 8 grams of small popcorn buds of GG4—harvested ~2 months ago. Squished out 1.76 grams of goo. That’s a 22% smash. I’m okay with that. It’s some good stuff and I hit it daily...usually several times per day. Enjoy! (There’s more pictures in my Rosin thread if you’re interested.)

Just going to plop this right here...Cheers! :bong:

Started with 8 grams of small popcorn buds of GG4—harvested ~2 months ago. Squished out 1.76 grams of goo. That’s a 22% smash. I’m okay with that. It’s some good stuff and I hit it daily...usually several times per day. Enjoy! (There’s more pictures in my Rosin thread if you’re interested.)

Holy crap Tokin, I squished nearly a oz to get that much goo. Have you tried other strains. I'm using a 12 ton press with 3 x 5 plates and my temps were at 200f and 220f. I did a pre press 2" x 4" and also a 2" puck, the puck seemed to do better possibly because it was taller giving the rosin space to ooze out from. If it is strain specific I am going to have to get me some GG4 seeds.

Holy crap Tokin, I squished nearly a oz to get that much goo. Have you tried other strains. I'm using a 12 ton press with 3 x 5 plates and my temps were at 200f and 220f. I did a pre press 2" x 4" and also a 2" puck, the puck seemed to do better possibly because it was taller giving the rosin space to ooze out from. If it is strain specific I am going to have to get me some GG4 seeds.

Thanks! I’ve pressed different strains for sure, but I’ve never received such good results with any other bud. This stuff is gooey and I love it. I got real lucky and was gifted a clone of the original plant. I’ve managed to keep her going for over 3 years now. It’s by far my favorite. I have a 20 ton press with 5x5 plates. I set my PID to 225F. I haven’t calibrated lately to see if that temp is accurate, but I’m getting great results so I really don’t worry about it. I’m also using 90 micron bags that I fill to approximately 4-5 grams per smash. It makes me smile every time! :bong:

*Edit: I also did the bottle tech on this one too. I do a pre-press also using a 6 ton press.

I find that volume is heavily dependant on strain. I get ~4.5g from the Blue Brilliant and Green Crack and <3g from the Girl Scout Cookies per oz. I generally press @ 210°F for 2 minutes on the first press and 3 minutes on the second. I quit using bags a long time ago because I would lose to much stuck to the bag. I only use rosin to make chocolate bars so a tiny bit of plant matter is inconsequential. I prepress 3g pucks for my 3x4 plates.

Them are pretty good numbers Man, I hope its just my strain, I will know in about 30 days. Yesterday I pressed a 2 inch 7g puck for 2 min @ 225f and got .47g. The strain is Erd Purt, some free seeds form Ace, cured in jars with the 62% Boveda packs. The buds are super dense and tight, some frost but not over the top. If I did my math right I only got 6%, my next strain is Orient Express if I can even double that I would be happy. I have never pressed a 2nd time, do you get much from that 2nd press?

Try backing off to 5g. Yes, the second press is about 30% of the overall yield. I take 3 chips from the first press break them in half and stack them to do a second press for 3 minutes - 1 minute longer than the first press. Then I long soak all of my left over chips in 185 proof Ethanol, winterize it at least overnight. Filter it through a buchner #1 filter. Treat it for 2 days with CarbonX. Filter it through a buchner #2 filter and dry it off into oil. Then I thin it with flavored terpenes and vape it. So no waste.

Try backing off to 5g. Yes, the second press is about 30% of the overall yield. I take 3 chips from the first press break them in half and stack them to do a second press for 3 minutes - 1 minute longer than the first press. Then I long soak all of my left over chips in 185 proof Ethanol, winterize it at least overnight. Filter it through a buchner #1 filter. Treat it for 2 days with CarbonX. Filter it through a buchner #2 filter and dry it off into oil. Then I thin it with flavored terpenes and vape it. So no waste.
I do save my chips so I will definitely be repressing, thanks for the info. When you mentioned your chocolate bars it sounded familiar so I went back and found your video. Well done and they look delicious, I will attempt them in the near future, thanks for that also.
I got to say you really got my attention with your vape juice method, the reason I got my press was for making my own vape juice with a liquidizer. Have you ever thinned your rosin with the flavored terpenes?

Back
Top Bottom