Rosin Press: Information Thread

Excellent thread!

Thanks for the video Man’O’Green. I just bought a 12 ton press and plates from rosinpressplates.com. I had quite a bit of trouble picking up the rosin off the parchment paper on my first presses - it just smeared and wouldn’t pick up nicely. I’m gonna try again today with some of the tips I’ve learned here.

GT - the pre-cut RAW parchment squares look nice (but expensive). Can they be used more than once?

Excellent thread!

Thanks for the video Man’O’Green. I just bought a 12 ton press and plates from rosinpressplates.com. I had quite a bit of trouble picking up the rosin off the parchment paper on my first presses - it just smeared and wouldn’t pick up nicely. I’m gonna try again today with some of the tips I’ve learned here.

GT - the pre-cut RAW parchment squares look nice (but expensive). Can they be used more than once?

I don’t reuse my parchment. I’m still using bags to squeeze, but I like the way @Man'O'Green just prepresses the bud. I may be doing an unnecessary step here. With unnecessary expense of the bags too. I need to build a press like that too.

Learning how to work with this gooey stuff has a steep curve. I am sure in the beginning I lost as much as I consumed. Silicone containers and spatulas are your friends along with frozen pans metal tools and a butane lighter. I heat the metal tool to work rosin around in the silicone containers. Then I freeze it and break it by flexing the container. The frozen pieces are easier to pick up and weigh in a small borosilicate beaker to make into meds.

Thanks for the tips, Man'O'Green. All great suggestions!

Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who had trouble collecting the rosin after pressing. Geez, I was so frustrated (and disappointed) after my first try. The second round went better, but the buds I'm working with aren't producing much - I think because they are kind of larfy.

Hey all. I'm going back to start reading from the beginning, but wanted to drop this first.

I've decided to get a rosin press (finally convinced the wife it was worth it...w00t!), and wanted to ask this community for advice. I've been looking at caged plates from dabpress and pairing that with an H-frame PRESS. Beyond that, I really don't know where to turn to gather data, hear opinions or get suggestions.

If this isn't the spot...I'll keep looking.

Thanks gang

Hey all. I'm going back to start reading from the beginning, but wanted to drop this first.

I've decided to get a rosin press (finally convinced the wife it was worth it...w00t!), and wanted to ask this community for advice. I've been looking at caged plates from dabpress and pairing that with an H-frame PRESS. Beyond that, I really don't know where to turn to gather data, hear opinions or get suggestions.

If this isn't the spot...I'll keep looking.

Thanks gang
There is lots of info throughout this thread. I have a strongway 10 ton press and plates I got off the zon. They work fairly well but I do not get the yield some of the others do. i would have liked to have been able to get the plates Shiggs has but they guy that was making them stopped before I got into building my set up.

Yep, I've done quite a bit of reading and at least some basic research on both complete press systems, modular components, and press kits from various mfgs. I think at this point I'm going to get the caged plates from dabpress and the strongway 10 ton bench press:

31N0100B0KL._AC_.jpg

Strongway Benchtop 10-Ton Hydraulic Shop Press with Gauge

I like this and at that price point, I'm getting a pressure gauge, larger plates and dual readouts.

Is there a must have reason for a bench top compared to a floor press? If your in the states you can get a 12 or even 20 ton from harbor freight for less$. I'm currently in the process of accumulating funds for my setup which will be a caged set from dabpress paired with my 20 ton HF press. Swapped over to an air/hydraulic jack with gauge.

It's not a must have reason, but I wanted to be able to put it on the kitchen table to work. Just me and the bride so discretion is relative. I also wanted it to be more portable and take up less room than a full stand. I'm sure the convenience of finding a potentially perfect item for my desired setup would come with a premium.

For those reasons right there I wish the electric ones were cheaper. But the reduced capacity and price tag makes it seem not worth it. I considered building a bench top press to use for it but decided the extra oopmh from my big press was worth having to deal with working in the garage. I know @Rich Farmer just built a table top setup and was happy with it.

I was going to get a 12 ton harbor freight press but Shiggs ended up ditching his for the 10 ton strong way. He said that his 12 ton started twisting and was not liking the strain from pressing so much. He said that the strong way was a much higher quality press. I also like the fact it has a gauge, it is very helpful making things more consistent.

I was going to get a 12 ton harbor freight press but Shiggs ended up ditching his for the 10 ton strong way. He said that his 12 ton started twisting and was not liking the strain from pressing so much. He said that the strong way was a much higher quality press. I also like the fact it has a gauge, it is very helpful making things more consistent.

A gauge is one of the things I wish I had. My PID shows temps pretty well, but I’m guessing when it comes to pressure. I manage to get by, but it’s been trial and error. Now, it’s like second nature though. I press about 8-10 grams in two separate bags and get enough to last me a good 5-7 days depending on the normal variables...like how much crap I gotta do! If I hit it too much I wake up wondering what happened, and how I got there... :slide:

A gauge is one of the things I wish I had. My PID shows temps pretty well, but I’m guessing when it comes to pressure. I manage to get by, but it’s been trial and error. Now, it’s like second nature though. I press about 8-10 grams in two separate bags and get enough to last me a good 5-7 days depending on the normal variables...like how much crap I gotta do! If I hit it too much I wake up wondering what happened, and how I got there... :slide:
Nice that is great you have gotten a solid routine going. I need to work on getting my yields up. They have been pitiful. I need to figure out a way to see if they temps I set my PID to are what I am actually getting.

Nice that is great you have gotten a solid routine going. I need to work on getting my yields up. They have been pitiful. I need to figure out a way to see if they temps I set my PID to are what I am actually getting.

I use a laser temp gun. I’ve found that each strain (that I’ve grown) has its own squishing temp. I’m lucky to have an abundance to play with.

I use a laser temp gun. I’ve found that each strain (that I’ve grown) has its own squishing temp. I’m lucky to have an abundance to play with.
I have a laser temp gun but it reads really low when I try to use it on the plates. I was talking to Buck and he suggested it is because the plates are shiney and it reflects off of them. I will have to try them again and see what it reads because I forget what it was. Due to not liking that read out I tried a meat thermometer lightly pressed between the plates (barely snugged enough to hold it in place, no pressure read out) and it maxed it out. Even still I am getting awful yields even pressing for 2 minutes at 222 degrees with 10 tons of pressure.

Yep, I've done quite a bit of reading and at least some basic research on both complete press systems, modular components, and press kits from various mfgs. I think at this point I'm going to get the caged plates from dabpress and the strongway 10 ton bench press:

31N0100B0KL._AC_.jpg

Strongway Benchtop 10-Ton Hydraulic Shop Press with Gauge

I like this and at that price point, I'm getting a pressure gauge, larger plates and dual readouts.

You'll be happy with that setup. I def suggest a better quality press like the one you have there. Here is my review for dabpress. 420 Product Review: DabPress RP35 3x5 Anodized Rosin Plate Kit | 420 MAGAZINE ®

For those reasons right there I wish the electric ones were cheaper. But the reduced capacity and price tag makes it seem not worth it. I considered building a bench top press to use for it but decided the extra oopmh from my big press was worth having to deal with working in the garage. I know @Rich Farmer just built a table top setup and was happy with it.

The big press will be better and give you more working room in between your plates. I'm using the HF A frame press and it limits how much i can squish. Dont have space for anything bigger though and works well for my needs. You'll be happy using a bigger press though.

I'm currently using an A fram 6 ton hf press. If you go with HF definitely get the warranty. With the heat and pressure it weakens the thin metal post

I should have taken a pic but On my last squish i put a little more pressure and the post gave. Made almost into an S. Luckily HF replaced it no questions asked as it was still in the 30 day warranty. They gave me a new one that still needs to be built.

I have a laser temp gun but it reads really low when I try to use it on the plates. I was talking to Buck and he suggested it is because the plates are shiney and it reflects off of them. I will have to try them again and see what it reads because I forget what it was. Due to not liking that read out I tried a meat thermometer lightly pressed between the plates (barely snugged enough to hold it in place, no pressure read out) and it maxed it out. Even still I am getting awful yields even pressing for 2 minutes at 222 degrees with 10 tons of pressure.

Put a piece of masking tape on the side of your plates and aim the temp gun at that

Back
Top Bottom