Rosin Press: Information Thread

Okay, I wasn't even aware of rosin a couple of months ago. Read a few things, grew interested, tried the hair-straightener thing and was definitely interested. Stared at the prebuilt presses (and their prices) with dismay, sighed, planned out a few DIY builds, etc etc, and then suddenly managed to snag this for $158 on eBay:

press_front.jpg

press_back.jpg

It's a ColorKing CK120 Rosin Press. Got damaged in the cargo container coming from overseas, so was on a no-reserve 1-day auction. I got it for $158+50 shipping, which is insane! The exact same model lists for $600+ in all the other listings. Oh, and the damage? "Distressed packaging." Gee, I really hope the packaging is okay.

Anyway, I'll review it once it gets here - but for now, I'm super-excited to have found a semi-pro solution for a couple hundred bucks!

I am yet to make a press or buy one, but plan to in the near future. I was wondering though if anyone has experience pressing untrimmed nugs. I just want to know if 1)it works well 2)if I can expect to get similar yields as trimmed nugs 3)if the terps will be the same as trimmed product. I ask cuz I do not want to take the time to trim stuff that is destined to be pressed if I do not need to. If it is necessary I will but would rather not :laughtwo: Thanks for any input.

SD is a phenomenal strain.. THAT being said... I'll never run it again OUTSIDE. IT WILL stink up your entire neighborhood(same with Triple X, LIKE a dead skunk in your yard)... WITHOUT a doubt! Is it worth it... YUP.... full melt strain(OH the good ol' Bubble days) and TASTY on the palate.

I also just started my first run with a 20 ton press works awesome! $179 harbor freight can't beat it!

I machined a 7'' diameter Aluminum top and bottom plates 1.5'' thick and I am now experimenting with a prepress molds. I was thinking of machining a 6 or 6.5'' prepress mold and make 1/4'' to 3/8'' thick chips with all my trim and attempt to squish it without a mesh net and just let it flow out onto the parchment paper. Anyone ever press without a net? is it possible?

Thx,
Zag

I just built a prototype with a 12 ton bottle jack.
It works but my 30w Heating elements are way too slow for the 5"x5"X3/4" aluminum plates. So i ordered 250w heaters :cool:
What kind of parchment paper was I supppsed to get? Tested it with parchment paper from the bakery section of grocery store and it worked but not great.

Thanks for all the good info. I will post pics of mine when the new cartridge heaters arrive from Amazon.

I just built a prototype with a 12 ton bottle jack.
It works but my 30w Heating elements are way too slow for the 5"x5"X3/4" aluminum plates. So i ordered 250w heaters :cool:
What kind of parchment paper was I supppsed to get? Tested it with parchment paper from the bakery section of grocery store and it worked but not great.

Thanks for all the good info. I will post pics of mine when the new cartridge heaters arrive from Amazon.

I have had good luck with Raw Parchment Papers.

Hey guys what's up kinda late to this party but I've been experimenting with making rosin for around 6 months and just wanted to share what I had learned, looks like you guys already know alot!

Genetics....... Do we even have to say anything about this anymore? Just don't judge a book by ita cover, I've had some great results from flowers I had to give a second thought to about pressing.

Humidity:
Make sure buds are around 55-65% percent, the boveda packs are brill for this, store and forget.
Especially when pre pressing if your material is to wet, when you apply heat and pressure it tends to just want to squish the whole puck and contaminate your oil.
To dry and it will seriously affect yields.

Prepressing:
Saves tons of time and will reduce time to press aswell.
This is my homemade prepress
420-magazine-mobile903083260.jpg

And this is what 8.5g squished to 7ton looks like after
420-magazine-mobile583377008.jpg

420-magazine-mobile900557571.jpg

Prepressing helps with yields as it helps to fully expel all oil trapped in material, also reduces contamination.
Further on this point in terms of filtration, if doing a big run I will press all pucks without a filter, then filter press all collected rosin through 25 micron nylon at 150F. Saves lots of resources on filter equipment.

Temps and pressures are something that need to be investigated yourself really as it will depend on your set up I have found, I usually press at around 200F, 6 ton for around 2 mins. But ultimately depends on material and what I want out at the end.

If pressing your own flowers do this as soon after drying as possible, alot of people say to wait for the cure aswell but by pressing early, similar to live resin I have seen high levels of thca, this is a guess just from the more crystalline structure of the finished product, looked straight like the thca pics you see swimming in sauce.

420-magazine-mobile954974633.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2044014038.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1019805988.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1100662068.jpg
420-magazine-mobile727139940.jpg

Few pics of past rosin
First pic is some. Critical jack herer auto, only 10% yield but I wasn't expectimg great things but the flavour is unreal.
The rest are old runs, can't remember the strains but photo flowers range from 15-23% in my personal experience.

420-magazine-mobile251779615.jpg

And my press, it runs to 10t but I never exceed 7, always made my rosin super sappy which I'm not a fan off. Read something about how higher pressures can expel more lipids into the rosin affecting taste and consistency, will try and dig this article out.
The plates where bought as a kit with PID controller, no issues with them.
The tape on the plate is for double checking temp with an ir heat gun, the tape helps to give an accurate reading.

I hope someone here can learn something from what I have written. Alot of the info has been previously covered this was just an easy way for me to get what's in my mind out.

But if anyone has any tips do sure shoot em this way!
Happy pressing folks :)

Has anyone bought a press on eBay or Amazon? I seen a few that look decent but I'd be lying if I said I even know what I'm looking for specs wise. All I know is I wanna buy one instead of build. And id prefer if it wasn't hand pump lol. Lots are from China on those sites aswell. I filter my searches to bypass that region. For slower shipping purposes. Thanks in advance if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom