Equanimity's First Grow - Lemon Kush - Canna Coco - CFL

oh, apparently they don't like rock music, it makes them die. some mad chick did a test in the 70s and she had three chambers with plants in them, piped in classical to one, rock music in another and no music in the third. apparently the plants in the rock chamber died but the ones in the classical chamber did better than the ones in the silent chamber. Of course it's all anecdotal and could be total ballsack but we might aswell give it a bash. can't hurt... unless i play a bit of Cradle of Filth in there, which might be akin to floracide lol

i love cradle. cradle are cool. i consume a lot of rock and metal but i don't think I'll give it to my plants; just the same as all my children seem to like is chart music (which damages my soul) lol

Hey, everything looks pretty well. Im gonna keep tabs on this. I have a journal going now too (couple weeks in) but i built something very similar to your grill cages. I used chicken wire but it works well for letting the water run out easily.

I do think however you should move your lights closer. You should get them to a distance where you can hold your hand right over your plants without feeling discomfort from your lights. Also if you havn't allready, get a fan in there to blow some air around. It will strengthen your stems and keep the room a little cooler while exchanging the air for your little babies. And dont worry too much how a sprout looks. The grow im doing now had a few in the beginning that were completely mutated but turned out ok. When you start seeing their "true leaves" you will have a better idea how its gonna turn out. But even if you were to get a crazy one, let it grow! It could be the best one.

i have a fan in the right hand corner oscillating gently, it can't be seen though cos there's a bit of wall in the way, it's not far from a cat litter tray with hard disks in it (for the TV); the "dry area" as I'm calling it.

im going to lower the lights a tad when they come back on (2 hours, 20 minutes from now) i was just worried about burning my plants since it's two 300w cfls, but I'll use the hot hand method.

gonna check in on your grow now.

I was hoping to wait until i had all sprouts but I'll go with the two for now:

Plant #: 1
Name: Aeryn Sun
Strain: Lemon Kush
Date Germinated: 30/04/14 (4 days in pot)
Method of Germination: Dry; straight to pot.
Group: Main Group.
2014-05-04_07_18_46.jpg

Plant #: 2
Name: Christine Kochanski
2014-05-04_07_19_04.jpg

Kaylee Frye & Caprica Six have yet to sprout but both appear to be growing their taproots (I've been scraping back the soil with a teaspoon to check), the final plant which is in it's own group (and grow area) is Cameron's Britain; it has yet to sprout but is taprooting.

Christine still has half her seed shell on and I read some guy earlier try to pull it off and it cost him the plant so i'll leave it to fall off au naturelle.

Thanks for looking :)

Looks good. I sometimes wish that i had started mine in a larger container to prevent the need to transplant while they are so young. Im not positive but i think i read that they will grow better without the domes. I believe the domes are beneficial when you are starting clones. Check into that quickly because it would suck to you a method that will do harm. I will read into as well to double check.

I've actually removed the domes, did that about an hour ago, i only had them on there to hold in some humidity while they were still seeds and then they popped about 20 minutes to midnight so i left them on to keep them cosy overnight.

just did the teaspoon test on Cameron's Britain (it's an Auto Speed Bud see i just planted for the sake of it) and it looks like it's ready to meet daylight in the next few hours, just wish i could say the same for the other two.

there's a lot to be said for not planting seeds upside down, I'll definitely be attentive to that next time lol

of course, the last things i tried to grow was a "grow your own beanstalks" kit with the kids; butterbeans, broadbeans and a third bean who's name eludes me. They all died :(

So my half inch seedlings here are so far the best grows I've ever done ever lol

I've actually removed the domes, did that about an hour ago, i only had them on there to hold in some humidity while they were still seeds and then they popped about 20 minutes to midnight so i left them on to keep them cosy overnight.

just did the teaspoon test on Cameron's Britain (it's an Auto Speed Bud see i just planted for the sake of it) and it looks like it's ready to meet daylight in the next few hours, just wish i could say the same for the other two.

there's a lot to be said for not planting seeds upside down, I'll definitely be attentive to that next time lol

Well from what i understand, its best to plant with the taproot down. They will grow anyway you plant it though, they use gravity to determine their orientation. Your others will still pop up just give them a little time. Honestly when i plant mine i just drop them in. It can be quite difficult trying to make sure its in the correct way.

i didn't germ first, i just threw the dry seeds in and hoped for the best. i just noticed that when i scraped back the soil, the tap roots were coming out of the top of the seed (though they did curl around the seed and head down as gravity demanded), so i wasn't sure if the round end or the pointy end of the seed was down.

one question though:

I've considered releasing a couple of large black house spiders into the grow room in the hopes that they'll web up and go towards dealing with any flying insects that might infiltrate.

good idea? bad idea? will they go rogue and eat everything?

just a thought.

one question though:

I've considered releasing a couple of large black house spiders into the grow room in the hopes that they'll web up and go towards dealing with any flying insects that might infiltrate.

good idea? bad idea? will they go rogue and eat everything?

just a thought.

Well spiders are carnivors so they shouldnt mess with the plants but you may want to consider the "web" part of it. What if they built webs up in your lights, fans and ect. I dont think webs are flammable but i wouldnt want spiders in my home anyways. Ive heard of ladybugs though

yeah i was thinking about that so i had thought to put them in tupperware boxes and then wedge those into the corners to encourage them to build their webs somewhere conducive to the whole setup. i get a fair few spiders in my house and i leave them be because i have no other insects; no flies, damp beetles, woodlice, silverfish or moths, nothing at all. so either none of those creatures come near my house or the spiders are keeping the peace.

as for ladybugs (or ladybirds as we call them), in 1993 we had this wave of the bastards during the summer, there were literally millions everywhere blowing in the wind and everything, and they bit. wasn't a hard bite but it did sting a little. I'm not having those duplicitous swine crawling about in my home lol

imho i would just stick to growing the plants and provide an environment that is as sterile as possible. adding different sort of spiders in it might make juggling this environment abit trickier than usual. but worth a try and report back your findings. good luck mate.

2 More Sprouts

Plant #: 3
Name: Kaylee Frye
2014-05-04_18_06_12.jpg

Plant #: 4
Name: Caprica Six
2014-05-04_18_07_03.jpg

Yeah these sprouts are so small i had to encircle them lol

They appeared while i was out between 12pm and 5pm, now i'm off out until after 4pm tomorrow; i hope they're ok overnight all on their own :)

Hopefully when i return i'll be posting the fifth & final sprout.

thanks for looking :)

Final Sprout!

Plant #: 5
Name: Cameron's Britain
Strain: Auto Speed Bud
Date Germinated: 1/05/14 (4 days in pot)
Group: Secondary Group.
2014-05-05_16_39_22.jpg

I'm feeling very lucky to have five sprouts from five seeds on my first go with no weird germination tactics or odd oils in my soils.

happy days xD

Back
Top Bottom