Fan controllers and variacs

I put the silencer right on the end of my vent setup and it dont do much.... have I set it up wrong???

Should it be straight after the fan inside the tent... should there be long distances of ducting between it all....
I just dont know

A little advice would be a god send to me right now lol
What silencer do you have? :volcano-smiley:

I put the silencer right on the end of my vent setup and it dont do much.... have I set it up wrong???

Should it be straight after the fan inside the tent... should there be long distances of ducting between it all....
I just dont know

A little advice would be a god send to me right now lol
My exhaust is located on ceiling of my grow shed, Carbon filter, exhaust fan, silencer then a 90 degree turn up and through the roof. Pic of silencer that I have below

acisilencer.jpg

It's a RVK fan and I've got it wired in to a Fantronix variac controller. Theres no hum with that setup, but the air flow is far too noisy for this particular scenario. So now I've got the whole lot plugged back in to the smart controller again and turned right down, so, the hum is back but overall it's a lot quieter

hum from fan or controller ? controller good. fan bad. - sort of. never fan under any circumstance.

dunno what you mean by noisy airflow. only thing that can cause that is real shitty exhaust vent tubing with a lot of obstruction. that is what air flow noise is, other than the equipment. if so, clean up your venting.

edit: i also hard mount my fans but isolate them. hard mounting usually translates in to more vibration being broadcast, which generally leads to a noisier situation. i hard mount and still have no real issues.

shop for a decent matched fan with controller. stick with a good brand name. something strikes me as off. not sure i trust your seller.

hum from fan or controller ? controller good. fan bad. - sort of. never fan under any circumstance.

dunno what you mean by noisy airflow. only thing that can cause that is real shitty exhaust vent tubing with a lot of obstruction. that is what air flow noise is, other than the equipment. if so, clean up your venting.

edit: i also hard mount my fans but isolate them. hard mounting usually translates in to more vibration being broadcast, which generally leads to a noisier situation. i hard mount and still have no real issues.

shop for a decent matched fan with controller. stick with a good brand name. something strikes me as off. not sure i trust your seller.
Yes it's the fan that's sort of buzzing or vibrating like u say, I have hung it with the adjustable carabena cord (not sure of the true name).

I have read with these SMS smart controllers u do get a sort of hum. I thought this was normal with these. I hope this isn't dangerous?!

Next time I will surely go for higher quality but I'm stuck with this for the time being

well it's not great. i can't judge if it is correct for your fan type and controller or not. as a rule if it's loud enough that it concerns you, then look for another solution. buzzing is usually a sound produced by resistance. resistance creates heat.

ideally you want a controller that ultimately changes the pitch of sound the fan makes, not adds a new one.

well it's not great. i can't judge if it is correct for your fan type and controller or not. as a rule if it's loud enough that it concerns you, then look for another solution. buzzing is usually a sound produced by resistance. resistance creates heat.

ideally you want a controller that ultimately changes the pitch of sound the fan makes, not adds a new one.
Yes I would of thought that too. The buzzing doesnt sound like it's doing the fan any good. This is what I was hoping the variac would do. With that there is no hum, but no variation in fan speed either

It's an RVK fan with SMS controller on but I've hard wired the fan through the variac. I had to cut the plug off of the kettle lead to wire into it. It's the fantronix 1.5 amp variac

lol. i meant type of motor and fan design. squirrel, impeller, rotator etc.. there are numerous fan types. it also helps to know if the fan motor runs needle or roller bearings, or is a brushless etc.. i'm not familiar with the brand.

to short it out you want an impeller design running rollers. they lend themselves to a control the best. i run both types.

this fan is in my veg space

full

impeller design, roller bearing, has a great fan control - quiet even under control.

this one is mounted in my flower space

full

much bigger. will move more air, cage design, needle bearing. we run this one full out and don't bother with a controller. i could do it, but the fan design is not the best for it.

lol. i meant type of motor and fan design. squirrel, impeller, rotator etc.. there are numerous fan types. it also helps to know if the fan motor runs needle or roller bearings, or is a brushless etc.. i'm not familiar with the brand.

to short it out you want an impeller design running rollers. they lend themselves to a control the best. i run both types.

this fan is in my veg space

full

impeller design, roller bearing, has a great fan control - quiet even under control.

this one is mounted in my flower space

full

much bigger. will move more air, cage design, needle bearing. we run this one full out and don't bother with a controller. i could do it, but the fan design is not the best for it.
Oh ok lol

I will have to get back to u on that one Haha

Your setup looks great.

I dream of the day I can dedicate separate rooms to mother, veg and flower....

It's on the cards for me I'm sure but for now my little tent will have to do lol

But I will look into the details of what I have as I am very new to all this

I really appreciate the help aswell it's awesome!!
I've defo come to the right place

I dream of the day I can dedicate separate rooms to mother, veg and flower....

i dream of the day i can do it under one address .. :p

i have very interesting motoring experiences at some time during my grows .... :cheesygrinsmiley:

both of those fans were online purchases. stick with a decent brand name that comes with a controller, and you'll be fine. for this app you want good gear.

with some research, knowledge, and experience, you could diy a perfectly acceptable solution. with a guess, some wire cutters, and the hydro dude's advice, you could burn the block and be looking at 15 in the klink.

also there are two general types of control for a fan. do not mix. they run on different principles, and have to be matched to the type of fan motor.

i dream of the day i can do it under one address .. :p

i have very interesting motoring experiences at some time during my grows .... :cheesygrinsmiley:

both of those fans were online purchases. stick with a decent brand name that comes with a controller, and you'll be fine. for this app you want good gear.

with some research, knowledge, and experience, you could diy a perfectly acceptable solution. with a guess, some wire cutters, and the hydro dude's advice, you could burn the block and be looking at 15 in the klink.
I checked the fan and it isn't hot at all to the touch

Would it be hot to the touch if it was a danger do u think??

it's partly a function of time.

keep an eye on it. what you've done is add a voltage transformer to a piece of equipment that did not come equipped with it. so the fan is asking for A and you are delivering B

most controllers are a potentiometer transformer, with a linear potentiometer, which control a specific type of motor, be it fan or otherwise.

bottom line - the more noise, the more you take your chances.

edit: if you like safe - buy a fan that comes matched with a controller. otherwise run the fan full out.

Back
Top Bottom