Fire Safety: How do you prevent a disaster?

My new 400-watt LED panel only has a 5' electrical cord. I was NOT happy about that. I was hoping for a 10' one, and worried that it might "only" be a 2 m (6' 6.74"). So I'm going to have to use some kind of extension cord. I realize that load is minimal, but...

Probably not nearly the potential worry that the temporary 3-prong to 2-prong adaptor it'll get plugged into is.
Good morning @TorturedSoul nice to have you drop by and chat.
How is your weekend going?
I might have a solution for your light that's safer for you.
First does the manufacturer of your light make a longer cord you can order?
Otherwise there are solutions that are safe, but not quick though.
If you cut the male end off the light cord you can hard wire it.
I would get # 12 BX that's in a metal jacket, or use a #12 wire in liquid tight, not as fire proof.
Run the light cord into a junction box connect it to the #12 wire.
Then run that to the panel and connect it to a 15 Amp breaker.
Or connect it to a junction box that's accessible.
In that junction box connect it to an existing wire running to the panel.
Worst case scenario put a real 3 prong contractors type plug on the other end of the #12 and plug that into a 120 v wall outlet dedicated to that light.
Let me know what I forgot to mention. :rofl:
Have a great Sunday. :ciao:

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Nope. They do not even sell a longer cable for power supply to LED board; if the user wishes to move that source of heat out of the garden space, user is on his/her own.

I would be more likely to replace the cord with a longer one than to cut the existing one...

I would get # 12 BX that's in a metal jacket, or use a #12 wire in liquid tight, not as fire proof.

Er... I have some 2 wire with ground 12 gauge electrical wire, solid (not stranded), yellow sheath. Somewhere.

15 Amp breaker.

Breaker, LMAO? My house was wired approximately 100 years ago; it's knob & tube wiring, and it has a fuse box. That fuse box is much newer, though - it was manufactured in the 1930s :rolleyes: .

I think there's ONE junction box in the entire house.

The panel fuse box, having only four circuits, is full. They are, at least, 15-amp circuits. Or... have 15-amp fuses, anyway. Unfortunately, they total twice the total electrical capacity of my house, so...

Worst case scenario put a real 3 prong contractors type plug on the other end of the #12 and plug that into a 120 v wall outlet dedicated to that light.

Heh. Ungrounded outlets; it would probably pointless.

There was a guy in the area who still knew how to work with K&T wiring (even had a solder pot), but he was in his 80s ~20 years ago, and died before he got around to me. Then I got poor, and was more worried about how I was going to pay the electric bill each month than where I'd come up with the money to pay someone to do any upgrades. At this point in time, everything from the entry cable to the most distant outlet needs to be repaired, upgraded, or both. I... try to hope, really hard - and sleep near a window, with my boots within arm's reach. . . .

Nope. They do not even sell a longer cable for power supply to LED board; if the user wishes to move that source of heat out of the garden space, user is on his/her own.

I would be more likely to replace the cord with a longer one than to cut the existing one...

Er... I have some 2 wire with ground 12 gauge electrical wire, solid (not stranded), yellow sheath. Somewhere.

Breaker, LMAO? My house was wired approximately 100 years ago; it's knob & tube wiring, and it has a fuse box. That fuse box is much newer, though - it was manufactured in the 1930s :rolleyes: .

I think there's ONE junction box in the entire house.

The panel fuse box, having only four circuits, is full. They are, at least, 15-amp circuits. Or... have 15-amp fuses, anyway. Unfortunately, they total twice the total electrical capacity of my house, so...

Heh. Ungrounded outlets; it would probably pointless.

There was a guy in the area who still knew how to work with K&T wiring (even had a solder pot), but he was in his 80s ~20 years ago, and died before he got around to me. Then I got poor, and was more worried about how I was going to pay the electric bill each month than where I'd come up with the money to pay someone to do any upgrades. At this point in time, everything from the entry cable to the most distant outlet needs to be repaired, upgraded, or both. I... try to hope, really hard - and sleep near a window, with my boots within arm's reach. . . .
That's a scary situation my friend.
I'd upgrade that before I even plugged in a phone charger, sorry. :eek:
I don't know what to say.
I'm worried for you.

Stay safe :oops:
Bill

AC 30mA trip switches (GFI) work on balance. what goes out,must come back on simple terms or it trips.

With all new lights and equipment very likely have electronic components with DC electricity, which the standard AC 30mA trips cannot pick up all the time, is why I recommend looking at affd's for your setups as these manage these new faults (single and double arc faults) with electronics.

Think safe stay safe... fires are horrible and I've seen a few.

Did you work out the source of your fire bill?

AC 30mA trip switches (GFI) work on balance. what goes out,must come back on simple terms or it trips.

With all new lights and equipment very likely have electronic components with DC electricity, which the standard AC 30mA trips cannot pick up all the time, is why I recommend looking at affd's for your setups as these manage these new faults (single and double arc faults) with electronics.

Think safe stay safe... fires are horrible and I've seen a few.

Did you work out the source of your fire bill?
Yes I did I'm going to tell you the source but I know I'll catch heck for it but here goes.
Light blew the fek up off-icial -:wee-grow÷
Boom set panda film and wood ceiling on fire.
Smoke was thick in seconds.

Thanks for your tip my friend.
I appreciate it.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Was it a popular brand, or one of those craptastic Jeff Bezos ones?

Was it a popular brand, or one of those craptastic Jeff Bezos ones?
Offic.ial weeg.row. Now just weeg.row. Hi Teddy.:ciao:
It was a sponsored light at the time.
They disappeared after it happened.
Changed their name and now have a pic of my grow room on their site.:eek:
That's pretty low.

Hope you have a great weekend TS. ;)

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Good morning @TorturedSoul nice to have you drop by and chat.
How is your weekend going?
I might have a solution for your light that's safer for you.
Otherwise there are solutions that are safe, but not quick though.
Run the light cord into a junction box connect it to the #12 wire.
Then run that to the panel and connect it to a 15 Amp breaker.
Let me know what I forgot to mention. :rofl:
Have a great Sunday. :ciao:

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill
What about one of those strips with a circuit breaker button.

I suggest you use steel office cabinets for grow chambers as I do.
Plus, concrete walls (3), ceiling, and floor also fireproof. The fourth
wall is sealed with concrete board, also fireproof. This is in a basement,
always cozy until July thru September when it is 'Too damn hot'. At
least I can now grow outdoors in the summertime - legal.

Marxman

I suggest you use steel office cabinets for grow chambers as I do.
Plus, concrete walls (3), ceiling, and floor also fireproof. The fourth
wall is sealed with concrete board, also fireproof. This is in a basement,
always cozy until July thru September when it is 'Too damn hot'. At
least I can now grow outdoors in the summertime - legal.

Marxman
Hey @Marxman :ciao: hope you are well my friend.
Thanks for the suggestions. :thumb:
How is your garden doing this summer?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I avoid using new LED brands that don't have a proven track record. This shouldn't have happened. We shouldn't have to worry about LEDs catching fire when everything is fine with the electrical system of the grow room.

So this thread got me a little paranoid, despite having lights that are UL approved and have been running fine. I'm putting a fireproof blanket over the top of the tent and one of those exploding balls inside the tent.

I could install a DIY automatic water sprinkler system for less than $100. Might do that.

81VhMpQPvuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or I could continue to roll the dice...

Thanks for this Bill! I’m so glad you’re ok.
Hey GG woohooo. :woohoo: so happy to see you again my Friend.
I'll catch up with you soon.
Been a little less than my self since Saturday.
Have some catching up to do.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I avoid using new LED brands that don't have a proven track record. This shouldn't have happened. We shouldn't have to worry about LEDs catching fire when everything is fine with the electrical system of the grow room.

So this thread got me a little paranoid, despite having lights that are UL approved and have been running fine. I'm putting a fireproof blanket over the top of the tent and one of those exploding balls inside the tent.

I could install a DIY automatic water sprinkler system for less than $100. Might do that.

81VhMpQPvuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or I could continue to roll the dice...
Hey Peat :ciao:
Glad you read the thread.
What ever you can do to help.
Just watch the blanket doesn't cause extra heat.
Take care my friend.

Stay safe

Yeah, water is contraindicated for electrical fires. When a fire suppression device / extinguisher is rated ABC... the C means it's rated for an electrical fire.

Water can put out some other material that an electrical fire has ignited - but it won't affect the source of ignition (and water is electrically conductive, unless it is absolutely pure... which it won't be, in the real world, after it has been sprayed all over the place).

Yeah. I was high while brainstorming for fire safety gear. I'm not installing sprinklers. :bongrip:

But I will install an AFCI breaker for both tents. Only $40 each and looks to be the best way to prevent an electrical fire from a malfunctioning light source or other device. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Might still put a fire extinguisher ball in each tent just to be extra safe!

Hey Peat :ciao:
Glad you read the thread.
What ever you can do to help.
Just watch the blanket doesn't cause extra heat.
Take care my friend.

Stay safe

It gave me a healthy dose of paranoia. A fire is unlikely with my gear and electrical setup, but I'm still going to make some improvements.

A neighbor's house with all its content went up in flames a couple days ago. Suspected grow room ignition, and now family has lost everything except each other. They were not home. 3 kids without a change of clothing. Horrible.

Thanks @Bill284 for this thread.

Yeah. I was high while brainstorming for fire safety gear. I'm not installing sprinklers. :bongrip:

But I will install an AFCI breaker for both tents. Only $40 each and looks to be the best way to prevent an electrical fire from a malfunctioning light source or other device. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Might still put a fire extinguisher ball in each tent just to be extra safe!
Don't put them in the tent. You won't be able to get them in case of fire.

A neighbor's house with all its content went up in flames a couple days ago. Suspected grow room ignition, and now family has lost everything except each other. They were not home. 3 kids without a change of clothing. Horrible.

Thanks @Bill284 for this thread.
I was on the street with my dog and 2 cats and not a dime.
Everything was smoke or water damaged.
It was a bad situation but we were lucky.
Could have happened while I was sleeping. :rolleyes:
It's not to be taken lightly.
Take it seriously.
Be safe.

#Vivosun #LoveWhatYouGrow
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom