First Ever Grow Journal

We are now on day 7 My ladys are looking a little small from where I thought they’d be but they are still looking healthy and are definitely growing

Attachments

• 5735183F-CA49-4753-9478-ACFC6114D471.jpeg
    5735183F-CA49-4753-9478-ACFC6114D471.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 48
  • D57E5C09-0EAE-4B4B-9384-BB3646933EF8.jpeg
    D57E5C09-0EAE-4B4B-9384-BB3646933EF8.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 53
  • CEF714FE-4BDC-4060-A1F3-3D67687B85CD.jpeg
    CEF714FE-4BDC-4060-A1F3-3D67687B85CD.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 45
I'll sit in on this grow if ya don't mind. I like watching grows from the beginning rather than catching up. Looks like you got things under control so far. 1 suggestion I have for the lights is to bring them down as close to the plants as possible. With cfl bulbs you can get them pretty close without harming your plants, try keeping them within 6-8" from the tops. Once they get a few weeks old you can throw more bulbs into that panel as well since you bought splitters.

Some other info I didn't notice that would be a help for us others is what medium you are growing in and what nutrients you plan to use.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

I'll sit in on this grow if ya don't mind. I like watching grows from the beginning rather than catching up. Looks like you got things under control so far. 1 suggestion I have for the lights is to bring them down as close to the plants as possible. With cfl bulbs you can get them pretty close without harming your plants, try keeping them within 6-8" from the tops. Once they get a few weeks old you can throw more bulbs into that panel as well since you bought splitters.

Some other info I didn't notice that would be a help for us others is what medium you are growing in and what nutrients you plan to use.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the input. I did lower the lights I’m now siting about 5” from the tallest plant. The bulbs are not getting very hot and I have not noticed any burns in my little lady’s

I’m using soil as a grow medium. And will be using general hydroponics flora series
For nutrients along with some cal-mag if needed my water has a fair but of calcium in it already. But we will have to see how it go’s.

For my first grow I want to try and use just the basics this way if there is an issue it will be easier to figure out what’s happening

You are more then welcome to follow along and please share your input advise or constructive criticism

That's good that you got them nice and close now, shouldn't have any issues. If you see the leaves start to curl up or taco then you know they are getting too much heat. A good test is using the back of your hand, hold it at the top of your plants and if the heat from the bulbs irritates the skin or burns then you're too close.

What type of soil are you using though? Is it an amended soil or is it a peat based medium like promix?

This Flora series trio is a great place to start! I still use it along with most of the additives. Very simple to use, not too strong. Sticking to about 1/2-3/4 strength of the recommended doses seems to do great for me. Where you're only using the trio you will likely be able to get to full strength but just work your way up slowly, starting once the girls are a couple weeks old, start out at 1/4 strength.

Using the basics at first is a good idea, you will learn lots very quickly in the first couple of grows. Some people around here call it the KISS method - keep it stupid simple LOL. I will be around to help where I can, I'm no expert but have come a long way because of the friendly people here at 420 Mag

That's good that you got them nice and close now, shouldn't have any issues. If you see the leaves start to curl up or taco then you know they are getting too much heat. A good test is using the back of your hand, hold it at the top of your plants and if the heat from the bulbs irritates the skin or burns then you're too close.

What type of soil are you using though? Is it an amended soil or is it a peat based medium like promix?

This Flora series trio is a great place to start! I still use it along with most of the additives. Very simple to use, not too strong. Sticking to about 1/2-3/4 strength of the recommended doses seems to do great for me. Where you're only using the trio you will likely be able to get to full strength but just work your way up slowly, starting once the girls are a couple weeks old, start out at 1/4 strength.

Using the basics at first is a good idea, you will learn lots very quickly in the first couple of grows. Some people around here call it the KISS method - keep it stupid simple LOL. I will be around to help where I can, I'm no expert but have come a long way because of the friendly people here at 420 Mag

Here is the soil I’m using

I never noticed but it has 0 information about what’s in it lol. But the second pic is why I bought it.

Attachments

• 644BEAC1-7361-4F9F-B913-0C77208AC90A.jpeg
    644BEAC1-7361-4F9F-B913-0C77208AC90A.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 368FAEA5-E4EC-40C6-862B-DEA099C63A81.jpeg
    368FAEA5-E4EC-40C6-862B-DEA099C63A81.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 42
Strange. The bag says to read the label before use, but I can't find anything online about it either. But where it has actual soil in it I would think there would still be trace amounts of nutrients in it that would be good for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

When you go to transplant, I would suggest using something without soil in it since you are going to use a soil less/hydro type of nutrients. Soil based mediums I believe would work better with organic nutrients. Try finding a peat based medium such as pro mix hp or bx, there are lots of others as well.

Strange. The bag says to read the label before use, but I can't find anything online about it either. But where it has actual soil in it I would think there would still be trace amounts of nutrients in it that would be good for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

When you go to transplant, I would suggest using something without soil in it since you are going to use a soil less/hydro type of nutrients. Soil based mediums I believe would work better with organic nutrients. Try finding a peat based medium such as pro mix hp or bx, there are lots of others as well.

I was planing on growing 100% in coco coir I could not find it locally so I ordered it online some how it’s gotten lost during shipping so hopefully it comes in before I need to tranceplant.

Yep Coco is another great choice, add a little bit of perlite to it as well if you can, maybe 15-20%. The extra drainage and aeration will help. Hopefully it comes sooner than later. You will want to transplant by the time the leaves reach the edges of your cups.

Yep Coco is another great choice, add a little bit of perlite to it as well if you can, maybe 15-20%. The extra drainage and aeration will help. Hopefully it comes sooner than later. You will want to transplant by the time the leaves reach the edges of your cups.

I hope it does come soon lol. With the coco I ordered a ph pen and tds pen I also ordered a plugin that will turn my heater and exhaust on when the temps get to high or low I don’t run the exhaust all the time right now because I have not needed to I keep the door open a bit the the grow area and have a fan drawing in the fresh air

My grow area is a room within a room so I leave the door cracked just enough that the heat does not drop to much when the lights are out but still getting fresh air

as the plants get bigger I know I’ll have to run the exhaust fan but for now there getting fresh air

the temp is a very consistent 25 celsius
77 fahrenheit. And humidity is hovering around 55% ( this I’m haveing a little issue with ) but I’m getting a bigger humidifier in the next few days.

I still find it hard to trust pH pens myself lol so much maintenance and calibrating. I can understand if someone is doing dwc or flood tables to use pens over the color drops, but the I've gotten pretty trusty with the drops lol.

A temperature and humidity regulator is a good tool to have, I still don't have one lol

Yes, cracking the door and blowing sir thru the tent should be enough for now. You have no idea how long I did that in my homemade 4x4 a while back, check my finished cks journal in my sig below. Once they get bigger you could always set your exhaust to come on every half hour as well so you don't have to run it all the time.

Temps and humidity seem good for you, try hanging a wet bath towel in there, bet it will help some since your space is smaller. I have a humidifier good for 1000sq/ft and it does nothing in my 10'x12' room even when the exhaust is off. My humidity is like 20% in my basement right now due to the furnace, it sucks!

I still find it hard to trust pH pens myself lol so much maintenance and calibrating. I can understand if someone is doing dwc or flood tables to use pens over the color drops, but the I've gotten pretty trusty with the drops lol.

A temperature and humidity regulator is a good tool to have, I still don't have one lol

Yes, cracking the door and blowing sir thru the tent should be enough for now. You have no idea how long I did that in my homemade 4x4 a while back, check my finished cks journal in my sig below. Once they get bigger you could always set your exhaust to come on every half hour as well so you don't have to run it all the time.

Temps and humidity seem good for you, try hanging a wet bath towel in there, bet it will help some since your space is smaller. I have a humidifier good for 1000sq/ft and it does nothing in my 10'x12' room even when the exhaust is off. My humidity is like 20% in my basement right now due to the furnace, it sucks!

Yes it is a bit of a pain For my first if humidity is all I have to fight with I’d say I’m doing well lol

I'm sure there will be some other issues you will deal with but it's normally nothing major. With your first couple grows you will learn about deficiencies and how to read your plants. They will communicate with you through posture and colors.

Day 8 as you can see my ladys are starting to get there second set of leaves.

There coming along nicely.

So I most likely am not going to post anything for a few days now as right now there’s no real growth happing and it’s all about maintaining the levels of heat and humidity

Attachments

• 2DE18E99-3034-4247-B4D4-44A8908D2D60.jpeg
    2DE18E99-3034-4247-B4D4-44A8908D2D60.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 29
  • EBCE413D-8644-41E0-9901-098304B94FD7.jpeg
    EBCE413D-8644-41E0-9901-098304B94FD7.jpeg
    780.8 KB · Views: 43
  • FFEF7159-2A27-4B46-8448-B1D8A797C5BA.jpeg
    FFEF7159-2A27-4B46-8448-B1D8A797C5BA.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 35
Looking good my friend. This is always an exciting time though, in a few days, those roots will have covered enough ground there should be lots of growth noticed. I even see a difference from yesterday.

We don't see a lot of difference in our own gardens I find because we are in there so often most days lol but to look at someone else's garden, it's easier to see differences lol

I'm going to be posting some more pics on my journal once flower room lights are on if you want to pop over. You will notice the difference from yesterday I bet

Looking good my friend. This is always an exciting time though, in a few days, those roots will have covered enough ground there should be lots of growth noticed. I even see a difference from yesterday.

We don't see a lot of difference in our own gardens I find because we are in there so often most days lol but to look at someone else's garden, it's easier to see differences lol

I'm going to be posting some more pics on my journal once flower room lights are on if you want to pop over. You will notice the difference from yesterday I bet

I’ve been checking in with you journal I like the way you’ve layed every thing out in your first post. ( that’s what I should have done ) next time I guess lol

No worries, you did fine. I've done this a few times now and have a bit of an ocd problem some days haha ok most days. The little things come with time as they say.

Back
Top Bottom