First Grow - CropKing Seeds Early Miss Auto & Crown Royale

Not related to my current grow....

*Just* ordered 10 White Widow Fem seeds from Crop King for my next grow, yes this whole thing about growing meds for mom and myself excites me ... who doesn't love taking care of their mom (and get high themselves!). Plus, if she's happy then maybe I can borrow her Magical Butter 2 machine!!! :volcano-smiley:

So, next grow is White Widow, unless Crop King gets to the point of selling their two new THC/CBN focused strains before it's time, and if they interest me enough lol.

Auto's have kind of captured me in an odd sort of way.. I love how the Early Miss has, more or less, taken care of herself as long and I do the basics but, I kinda prefer the photo idealism, mostly freedom of time to correct my oopsies lol. Auto's are awesome and I love my EM but I think that after this grow, I'm going to leave auto's for next spring and do an outdoor grow. As for inside and, inside a cabinet/tent, I, personally, want to stick with photo's. This all may be a skewed opinion based on my current photo plant... the Crown Royale, and it also being my first grow.

Don't get me wrong, the CR is a nice pheno, so far as I can see. With only being at the brink of transition from veg to flower but in all fairness, it is listed as a "moderate" grow experience strain but, the EM was too.

Today I named my Crown Royale "Paris Hilton" because she loves having her picture taken at any state of sobriety but is fussy and stubborn, doesn't like too much, or too little, light, doesn't like too much, or too little food and doesn't like too much, or too little pH. My experience with this plant has actually reminded me constantly of a Southpark episode with Paris Hilton and Slave (but this also isn't pineapple express lol). Google "southpark paris hilton" if you're brave and/or curious enough... the youtube clips speak volumes.

Something that maybe some of you could chime in on to quell my, apparent confusion, is THC. I know what THC is but where I get confused is that in strains with lower THC (say 15%).. there are testimonials from veteran smokers that say that it has a severe effect on them eventhough they are accustomed to smoking 25%+ herb. I know that sativa=head/creative and indica=body/relaxing but, my real question is... how does a lower thc% strain/pheno make a better, more powerful, high? I always thought that, the higher the thc%=a better/more powerful high but, maybe, I'm confusing that all with plain-out potency.

Thanks for reading my rambling!

Something that maybe some of you could chime in on to quell my, apparent confusion, is THC. I know what THC is but where I get confused is that in strains with lower THC (say 15%).. there are testimonials from veteran smokers that say that it has a severe effect on them eventhough they are accustomed to smoking 25%+ herb. I know that sativa=head/creative and indica=body/relaxing but, my real question is... how does a lower thc% strain/pheno make a better, more powerful, high? I always thought that, the higher the thc%=a better/more powerful high but, maybe, I'm confusing that all with plain-out potency.

Well from my understanding and trust me it is limited and I am always high. But there are a couple factors I am aware of that have repercussion to potency Strain regardless. First is the most obvious being trich color the more amber you let it go the more intense the high. Second thing is the amount of cbd to thc. cbd is actually a natural anti-psychotic to thc so if you have a 25% strain that has say 5% cbd you may get a better psychoactive from a 15% with .5 cbd

Edit!!!- The reason someone would want a high cbd to thc ratio is to heal without the "high".

I was just also reading this thread entry about thc. Graytail's 3rd: 4x4, HiBrix, Latest LED Tech, Lots Of Light!

I don't plan on having any of my grows tested.

on an added note. Studies now show that sativa and indica do not necessarily produce separate types of highs as has been the consensus thus far. according to studies the determining factor on potency is how ripe the trichs are if they are cloudy and its an indica it will be an up or heady high its its all amber and its a sativa its going to couch lock you. The studies show that the big differences in sativa and india is in structure of the plant, long and branchy and short and bushy with individual leaf structures.

The Early Miss continues to stretch and grow her flowers, in the last week she's gained almost 8 inches in height and about 4 inches around but this may be just the effect of how I LST'd her. Either way, I'm quite happy and see a change every day. Fed her today a transition mix of nutes, in 2.5 liters of water, 2ml each of Micro, Grow and Bloom as well as 1.5ml of CalMag and pH'd it down to 6.4. Today is week 5 since her seed cracked.

Paris Hilton (the Crown Royale), is still moving along albeit slowly but in fairness, she's not quite done drying out from the flush a couple days ago but should be ready for a transition feeding by tomorrow. As soon as I notice that the EM has finished stretching I'm going to flip lights to 12/12 so Paris starts flowering and I can hopefully harvest them within a couple of weeks from each other. Tomorrow will be week 6 since her seed cracked.

20151012_170738.jpg

Group shot. Early Miss on the left, Paris Hilton on the right.

20151012_170750.jpg

Closeup of the EM's main top.

20151012_170759.jpg

Another shot of the EM.

Thanks for stopping by!

I will most certainly do so. I've been reading my Grow Bible & I just may do the 24/0 light cycle & will Be happy to share when up & Running eh. I must admit this forum is really great & Kudo's to 420

Hi Folks!

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week and I've been working 14+ hrs a day so not much time for grow journal love.

I did receive my Mars 96x5 Reflector yesterday and quickly rushed home to get it plugged in and replace the 100x3 Apolo. Instantly I saw the difference in light penetration and quality of light. When I got home about 9 hours later, I noticed that the Early Miss was in love with the light, Paris Hilton didn't really seem to take notice, she just seems to be plugging along so, that's good. I also noticed that the Early Miss began to show signs of Calcium deficiency but, since I had just watered her with plain water pH'd to 6.5 (lats 2 waterings were transition to bloom mix and I wanted to do 2 fert mix then 1 water), I just mixed up a batch of Cal-Mag water pH'd to 6.5 and foliar fed her. Still waiting a bit to see how the foliar feeding effects her.

Aside from the deficiency, the nearly immediate positive result of the new LED, I decided to order another 96x5. I also ordered a 4x4 tent. When I ordered my first 96x5 LED, Sarah wasn't available so I was put in contact with Ruby and she has been super awesome.

Sorry I don't have any pics tonight but I can say that the EM has loved this new light enough that flowers along the main stem are already stacking up and she's only about 10 days since the first sign of flower. I can't wait to see how she comes along and, even more so when the other 480w of led love arrives!

So now I'm in the position to do a veg tent as well as a flower tent. I think that I can link the two together for ventilation by simply using ducting between the two (to join them for ventilation). Does this sound reasonable?

Anyhow, thanks to all that have stopped by here, tomorrow if Friday and, hopefully, a shorter day. I'll try my best to get some pics taken and posted!

I am in my first grow ever as well. DWC ------------; chose early miss as my first seeds. I've messed up along the way. I am running under a 400W HID 20/4 right now. I plan to switch over to the HPS during flowering. I apologize if I am imposing; but I have a few questions.

MY plants are a lot further behind; stunted comes to mind. I believe I am having a huge issue with the high humidity living in the deep south. Do you all have any recommendations to a true noob? TY

Hi folks!

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week to say the least.
I don't have any pics right at this moment but I'll get a couple a bit later on today.

Yesterday I gave Paris Hilton a haircut (defoiled the Crown Royale) and flipped lights to 12/12. Today I need to find something to put her on to get her closer to the light. She's not quite as tall as I wanted her to be at this stage but she's pretty healthy and I'll be happy to have her dealt with and move along to some White Widows for my next grow.

I really messed up with the Early Miss a few days ago (maybe a week ago?). What happened is she was starting to show signs of calcium defiency but wasn't ready for a watering to add Cal-Mag to so, like a moron, I made a light mixture of Cal-Mag in water pH'd to 6.5 and foliar fed it to her and also added Cal-Mag to her next regular feeding. Doing this rushed the suplement into her and created a bugger of a Potassium (K) deficiency so, I just now did a 5 gallon flush of water pH'd to 6.5 with 1ml Grow, 2ml Micro, 3ml Bloom and 5ml liquid Koolbloom.. no Cal-Mag! lol At the end, the run off was coming out flickering between 6.5-6.6. I really hope that this is recoverable especially since the poor girl is just starting week 3 of flower.

Back later with some pics, thanks for stopping by!

So four hours later and am seeing results of the flush on the Early Miss and from raising up Paris Hilton.

I flushed in the bath tub and then let her sit there for about an hour so that any run off left would go down the drain instead of the drip pan. When I went in to get her I noticed dew drops all over her, in fact it looked like there was one dew drop at each serated point on each leaf, almost like she's sweating out the bad (at least I hope that's the case but a couple of days will tell). I placed her back into the cabinet.

Paris was placed on a 4 liter ice cream pail (about 8 inches high).

The EM was put back, and Paris raised, at about 12:30pm so I guess it was 3 hours when I checked back in on them, not 4 hours....

The Early Miss was then showing some lighter colored top leaves and Paris' top leaves were starting to canoe a bit.... they were both too close to the light and I really don't have much room to raise it any higher. The only thing that I could see to do right away was to find a new way to attach the light to the ratchet hangers, instead of using the small wire "rope" that comes with the LED. So, here's what I came up with:
20151019_155214.jpg

It's just a couple pieces of 14 gauge wire (from a 14/2 group), same stuff that's used inside your walls for light switches and to provide power to 110 volt outlets. This gained almost 6 inches of height. Hopefully that's enough to finish out the grow. If I need more room then the only thing left to cull would be the ratchet hangers themselves which would give about 3 inches more. I know that it's hard to tell but, I put rounded kinks in that wire at the center so that the light stays put.

Aside from the light issue, the Early Miss seems happier... it's tough to explain or provide some sort of evidence but I just look at her and I can just tell. Here's a couple shots of her:
20151019_155227.jpg

Her main stem was tied back a while back but it just wants to be at the top and, now that she's into flower, I'm really not crazy about tying it back more, especially with all she went through today.

20151019_155239.jpg

Closeup of the main cola.

20151019_155232.jpg

Above, on the right side, is Paris. It's getting tougher to get a "good" picture of her since the EM wants all the glory but you can see that she's only about 12-13 inches tall but she's really come around and doing better since her haircut yesterday. I think that getting more air from less leaves has helped a bunch.

Thanks for stopping by, there's sure to be more shenanigins for the flower period!

Shenanigin spoiler alert: I do still have another Mars 96x5 Reflector coming and have the cabinet prepped to pop it in. I'm in high hopes that it'll turn out to be a good thing but.... let's find out! Supposed to be here on Thursday but Friday seems more realistic.

I am in my first grow ever as well. DWC ------------; chose early miss as my first seeds. I've messed up along the way. I am running under a 400W HID 20/4 right now. I plan to switch over to the HPS during flowering. I apologize if I am imposing; but I have a few questions.

MY plants are a lot further behind; stunted comes to mind. I believe I am having a huge issue with the high humidity living in the deep south. Do you all have any recommendations to a true noob? TY

Hi OBrad,
Thanks for stopping by, always nice to have some more company here!

Congrats on your first grow and, if it's anything like mine, you're going to mess up a bunch... it's just a part of learning but the trick is to not get discouraged and just keep plugging along while learning from your mistakes. All of us did several face plants while learning to walk and this is not so different in principal, just less bloody noses and a tad bit less crying lol.

The community here is great so I honestly suggest that you start a journal and put it in your signature, that way others can see what's going on in your grow and can toss in their knowledge. I'm more than happy to toss in my opinion too but, like you, I'm still learning and DWC is something that I'm much interested in but have zero experience with.

The only things that I can say are:
Humidity: In veg stage, up to 80% humidity is ok and actually plants thrive from the higher RH% but you'll want to get that in check for flowering, somewhere around 50-60% RH and even lower if possible (lower will help to thwart nasty things like mold and make the drying/curing process easier). A good inline fan with high CFM will help wonders with this, just make sure to vent it outside and get the variable speed controller!

Stunted growth:
This is usually a lack of something but without some pics or journal to look at, it's too difficult to give any sort of suggestion. If you're using HID then make sure that you're somewhere between 20-30 inches from the tallest point of the plant(s). Best to start at the high end of that and slowly move it down an inch or two a day so that you can see the results and find the "sweet spot". Aside from that.... it could be so many other things.

Aside from that, I wish you the very best of luck on your grow and, please do start a journal! :welcome:

I went ahead and brought the grow indoors. The humidity would not get under control.

I encountered Fusarium Wilt and had to remove more than 50% of the plant. I believe my two biggest issues are the humidity and entirely too many nutrients to feed. I did not do as much research on that as I am now.

I have one plant (four banger bubble boy) that appears to have really brown curling roots. The other one has white roots but also has curled roots. When I germ my seeds and put in quick start cube, does this get removed before putting in the net pot? Curious because my stem, at one point, was very weak and wasn't sure if I could remove or if it is safe to keep.

Thank you for the post. I tried to upload pictures but kept loading to different thread or forum for feed back.

Hello again folks,

All has been progressing fairly well, I did receive my new Mars 96x5 Reflector and 4x4x6.5 tent this past Thursday and hung up the light right away. Unfortunately with the carbon filter where it's at and the height that the LED's need to be at, the LED's were making contact at the long sides so heat displacement and air flow from them was disturbed and it actually created much more heat in the cabinet than I expected. With both going, with both the Grow and Bloom switches on, I rapidly went from 65F to 85F and it was still climbing. Setting the speed control for the inline fan to full was effective but it was just too loud for now.

Something that I noticed and also read about online about these LED's is that the fans are only active when the Grow switch is turned on and not when only the Bloom switch is on. I contacted Ruby at Mars-Hydro to ask about this and was told that since the red led's are spaced as they are, the heat sinks themselves provide ample heat displacement so, the fans aren't necessary for that case. So now I have one of the Reflectors running with both the Grow and Bloom switches on and the other with only the Bloom switch on and everything is happy. Temp and humidity maxes out at 72F/37%RH while the lights are on and drops to 65F/43%RH while the lights are off.

I'd love to move to the tent right away but it's going to be an event since space is a bit confined and it'll take a bit of planning and a solid day so I hope to get this done next weekend. But, the ladies are super happy right now so I'm not is as big of a rush as I previously was.

Today I gave both a feeding and made sure to go quite light on the GH Micro and Grow (1 gallon mix = 1ml Micro, .5ml Grow, 2ml Bloom and 4ml Liquid Koolbloom), pH'd it to 6.1 to stay just outside of calcium uptake. I'm hoping that this mix at that pH level will help the Early Miss just a bit more to recover from the calcium toxicity that she was experiencing.

Tomorrow is a week since flipping the lights to 12/12 to induce Paris Hilton and today she's showing good signs of pre-flowers and the EM is stacking buds all over the place at week 3. I'll get some pics pretty soon and post them.

All in all, I'm quite happy to report that things seem to be doing well so I'm tickled, especially since it was looking dire a week ago.

Thanks for stopping in! :thanks:

I went ahead and brought the grow indoors. The humidity would not get under control.

I encountered Fusarium Wilt and had to remove more than 50% of the plant. I believe my two biggest issues are the humidity and entirely too many nutrients to feed. I did not do as much research on that as I am now.

I have one plant (four banger bubble boy) that appears to have really brown curling roots. The other one has white roots but also has curled roots. When I germ my seeds and put in quick start cube, does this get removed before putting in the net pot? Curious because my stem, at one point, was very weak and wasn't sure if I could remove or if it is safe to keep.

Thank you for the post. I tried to upload pictures but kept loading to different thread or forum for feed back.

Hi OBrad,
Sorry to hear about those plants, amputation always sucks and brown roots aren't what you ever want to see.

Really hope that you're able to overcome your issues, perhaps someone with some DWC experience can chime in.

I'm rooting for you (get it? it's punny!)

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom