First Grow - CropKing Seeds Early Miss Auto & Crown Royale

gearthbeta

Hi folks, I'm pretty new here but have been looking at many grow journals and they look like fun so I thought I'd share my first grow for your fun and amusement! lol

The main reason that I decided to try a grow was mainly to help supply my mom with some medicine. She's got shingles and fibromyalgia so is in alot of pain and pharmaceuticals don't do anything except make her sick so we tried her on some RSO and she was almost instantly pain free. Being on a pension, the cost of this was more than she could afford so.... here is all begins and, it's been alot of fun so far!

I chose Crown Royale Fem because of the CBD and THC and also got Early Miss Auto Fem for the same reason but the Auto Fem is a security blanket, in case I eff up the Crown Royale.

My setup is a home made cabinet with 30"x30"x60" made from 2"x2" for the frame and 1/4" plywood. The interior is triple coated with flat white latex primer for light reflection. I'm using a 300W Apollo Hortoculture LED and have a 4" carbon filter as well as a 9" fan for air circulation. Plants are growing in 3 gallon Smart Pots and I'm using General Hydro's Flora series 3 part for nutes as well as BioBizz Grow for molasses and carbs, I've also got Cal-Mag and Liquid Koolbloom ready for when the time comes.

This journal isn't "from the start" since I only just registered here recently. The Crown Royale is 29 days along and the Early Miss is 23 days along.

20150929_163246.jpg

This is the Crown Royale. I've already done some LST and topped her once. It's a compact and very bushy plant and as you can probably see, she's recovering from a small dose of nute burn. This is a fussy plant and has only been happy with a mix of about 50-60% of the nute chart pH'd to 6.0-6.1. Two days ago I went up to 75% of the chart on the bottles and she got burned so I flushed with plain pH'd water yesterday. This is a very smelly plant since about the start of week 3.

20150929_163241.jpg

This is the Early Miss and she's been great. Germinated according to Cropking's guide and then put her straight into the 3 gallon smart pot. I've been feeding her exactly the same as the Crown Royale and she's thrived (including the same mix that burned the CR).

I guess it's pretty hard to tell too much from the pics under the LED, I'll try to get some under a more natural light.

Anyhow, I'll be updating fairly frequently and look forward to any comments and suggestions. I've done tons of reading online and watched tons of youtube vids but nothing beats real people with real experience. Thanks for checking out my journal.

re: First Grow - CropKing Seeds Early Miss Auto & Crown Royale

Hi, gearthbeta -- great start to your journal! I'm growing the Early Miss, too and have found her supremely easy to grow.

What medium are you growing in?

Hi Glimmer, thanks for the welcome!

For my first grow I chose soil. It's just Promix from a #4 bale. I have coco ready for the next round but I've also been thinking about trying out a DWC setup but I think that 60 inches of cabinet height is not enough for that.

woo hoo, im in. going to try crowne royale after xmas sometime. that should be long enough time to horde some autos before the 3-4 month wait.

and also, good on ya for looking after Mom.
my Mother has fibromyalgia also......but she wont even listen to me when I bring up smoking....even on her bad days

Thanks for the replies everyone! This has been fun and it's nice to read through some of your journals so I can see that I'm not totally crazy about things that I've read elsewhere and, if I am crazy, at least I have company lol.

I've been having a bit of trouble with humidity lately and part of it is just one of those things that makes you want to slap yourself on the forehead. My first mistake is silly, the exhaust from my cabinet just blows out into the room so of course the cabinet is going to pull in humid air... smh lol. The other mistake I've made is the exhaust fan is just too under powered, it's just a 90CFM booster fan, one of those ones that's just a small fan inside a short piece of ducting. I thought that it'd be ok because the cabinet is just under 32 cubic feet but the charcoal filter must add just too much resistance.

To remedy this I just ordered a proper inline fan and a variable speed controller for it, I also ordered a small dehumidifier just in case. When the fan arrives I'll change it to exhaust outdoors.

I switched off the LED and hand held my little seedling T5 light for the pics which was actually a treat since when I came out of the room I wasn't seeing everything as a green-yellow color from being under the LED.

20150930_1606131.jpg

Today I did some mild defoliation on the Crown Royale and updated her LST. The pic is about 5 minutes after I finished so she looks kinda like she had a hard night but should pop back up pretty soon.

20150930_1606081.jpg

The Early Miss looks like she got a small dose of pH fluctuation from when I flushed them the other day so I checked my pH meter and sure enough it needed calibration as it was reading 0.5 high so I ended up flushing her with 5.6 instead of 6.1 :(

I checked out GlimmerGrass's grow journal since he's also growing early miss that are only about a week older than mine and decided to try to LST on mine as well. I'll wait until she straightens back up and then maybe do some leaf tucking if she needs it.

woo hoo, im in. going to try crowne royale after xmas sometime. that should be long enough time to horde some autos before the 3-4 month wait.

and also, good on ya for looking after Mom.
my Mother has fibromyalgia also......but she wont even listen to me when I bring up smoking....even on her bad days

Thanks!

I'm enjoying growing the Crown Royale, such a nice deep green and just has that look about her where you don't want to make her mad because you don't want your friends to find out that you got beat up by a girl lol.

My mom won't smoke no matter how many times I try, she makes butter but with coconut oil and sometimes we make some RSO. RSO making days are only on my days off though, get kinda lazy after sampling it.:cheesygrinsmiley:

I am going to enjoy watching your grow with envious eyes, as my signature says the only thing i can do with dirt is get dirty. I am running an ebb and grow. They are fairly pricey to buy from a store but you can do your own 6 or 12 bucket for under 200.
Edit
Subbed this

Hi G00ch thanks for stopping by. I checked out your journal and that's a nice setup. I kinda wished I had went for a tent instead of making a cabinet but maybe I know what to get myself for xmas, I'll just have to remember to act surprised.

Do you find that you need the entire 7' of the tent to accommodate light spacing and bucket height when the ladies finish stretching up?

Just went in to say good morning to the ladies and saw that they have both responded very well to the LST. Today is feeding day so I'll have to mix them up something special when I get home from work. Pics coming a bit later, I should at least buy them dinner first.

Yay for LSTing autos! Charybdis (the plant I've LSTed) has gone nuts for it -- so many tops appearing, it's amazing. Scylla (the one I topped and the LSTed) is also doing well, but I'm not sure how much better the topping will be for the colas that are building.

And I really love photographing them right after LST and then again the next day -- they are strong, determined plants :) I find it all fascinating!

Good morning Glimmer. It was your journal that made me shake off my doubts about LSTing the auto and seeing your picture of the result made one of my eyes pop out lol. Took me a few minutes to find my fold back clips (sooo nice for lsting in fabric pots), and then over she went. I think that maybe later today it should be situated and will then train some more of the straglers.

I find photos an awesome tool and take at least 1 of each plant a day, it's so handy to be able to "see" the before and after from anything (training/feeding/etc) and then determine if you're a good parent or not. :morenutes:

I'm Lsting my autos really lightly. I waited until day 23, put a strap around the base of the stem and then pulled her over to just past 45°.

This has allowed better development of the lower sites without overly stressing the plant. One thing we want to avoid with autos, is stress. It can stop veg and induce premature flowering. This is all, naturally, strain and phenotype dependent.

:thumb:

Well this is my first grow so im not sure I hope to keep them in grow till about 2-2.5 ft that would make them flower to 5-7 ft tall , I have 2 tents one is for grow, one is for bloom the bloom one is bigger, taller and wider, I am setting up another set of 6 buckets for the bloom room, I am going to buy another controller and build the second fill bucket, then i can have a grow and a bloom going together and get a good cycle going. I want to flip them end of october, I hope to have clones started ready to grow, or i can buy some.

I think one of the problems i have with dirt is that it has built in nutrients because its organic, it also breaks down over time, then you have to figure out what it needs, the GH and other chemical ferts can be used for dirt but are made for inert media, and i know that the ph when using dirt is much higher then with hydro i think dirt was 6-5-7.5 dont quote me on that one, but make sure you monitor the ph level to whatever is ideal will allow the plant to uptake as much nutrients as it can

I'm Lsting my autos really lightly. I waited until day 23, put a strap around the base of the stem and then pulled her over to just past 45°.

This has allowed better development of the lower sites without overly stressing the plant. One thing we want to avoid with autos, is stress. It can stop veg and induce premature flowering. This is all, naturally, strain and phenotype dependent.

:thumb:

Hey thanks a bunch for that, I wasn't aware that too much stress can induce flowering and that's a great thing to be aware of! :thanks:

It's not so easy to see in the last pics but for the main stem I used heavier but soft cordage to tie back the stem just above the dirt and the same kind of cord at the top so that the pressure from LST was spread out. The smaller branches I used some butcher twine and I don't imagine that it's too thin that it'll ever dig in or hurt.

I'll take some more detailed pics pretty soon today and post them, any critique is more than welcome!

Back
Top Bottom