First grow - not sure whats wrong with leaves/plant!?

voodoopoerk

What Strain is it?
AMS, got as a clone from a friend, not sure other than its anti-mold

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
See 1

How Many Plants?

Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
Its in veg, showing preflowers.

If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
Not sure how many weeks it is, Ive only had it for the past 3 weeks..so at least 3 weeks XD

Indoor or Outdoor?
Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Soil

If Soil... What is in your Mix?
Pot was given with a mix in it that I'm not positive on, but due to gnats, I've been removing the top few inches of soil and replacing with my own mix which is: Miracle Grow organic Potting soil, vermiculite, kelp meal, worm castings and Jobes tomato and veg organic dry fert. I keep the fert low in the soil to avoid nute burn, though that may still be the problem?

If Soil... What Size Pot?
It looks to be a 2-3 gallon pot, again, it was the one given with the plant. I have bigger pots I'll transplant into later, just want the issues to be straightened out to avoid any unnecessary stress.

Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
I'm using 5 100 watt CFL's, 3 blue spec and 2 red.

Is it Air Cooled?
Got a double CPU fan exhaust.

Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
The temperature the first few weeks were around 73-79, now they're ranging from 63 @ lights off and 74 at lights on.

RH of Room/Cabinet?
I think the RH is 24.9? Used a calculator online and not sure if I did it right. I have a humidity reader in the cabinet and the humidity ranges from 45 at lights on to 70 at lights off. Wide range, i'll get a dehumidifier for flowering.

PH of Medium or Reservoir?
I just got a new digital ph reader and if it's working (it reads 7 when its not in anything, then when i put it in my soil it looks like it resets and reads but goes to 7) it's 7, but for some reason i'm doubtful. I've gotten readings from 6.7-7.0.

Any Pests?
I have gnats :(. at least i'm pretty sure they're gnats. little tiny black flying things, crawling around in soil. very low numbers. i've been disturbing and replacing the top layer of soil every day, put down potato slices and pulled out a few days later. Got some pesticide with concentrated neem oil and pyrethins which after use will cut down on numbers SEVERELY, but there will always be like 1 or 2 i can spot the next day. Fuckin survivors. I got some new ingredients and made a new soil mix (the one i listed in the soil mix Q) and when I put that on top I haven't seen a gnat (yesterday) but I'm not optimistic they're gone.

How Often are you Watering?
I let the soil nearly completely dry out last week to help with gnats, normally though I'll water about every 2-3 days or when the soil is dry.

Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Using Jobes tomato and vegetable dry fertilizer mixed in with my soil mix.
Shop Jobe's 6 lbs Organic Vegetable Food Granules (2-5-3) at Lowes.com

Size or Square Footage of Room?
The cabinet is small stealth grow, its about 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep and 3 feet tall.

IMG_63093.jpg

Here you can see the purple stems and the woody type main stem. I can't seem to find any solid information about purple stems, some people say its because the plant is sucking up nutes, others say its cold, others say it's deficiencys. Haallpppp

IMG_78431.jpg

The yellow lower leaves are what worries me, the guy who gave me her says it's due to stress from the transferring of locations, but it's been 3 weeks and I feel like it's not longer shock but something else.

IMG_70323.jpg
IMG_23332.jpg

More yellow leaves and purple stems.

Please help, I really have no distinct idea what is going on or how to fix it. It's my first grow and i'm wary of the fact i don't know much, so I try not to over water or over do anything, but I don't want to do anything i'm no 100% on either! Thanks guys!:thanks:

Re: First grow not sure whats wrong with leaves / plant!!?!

i would say u have a serious nitrogen deficency, not sure steams seen more and more pics with purple steams.

Yep your fertilizer is too low in N for veg stage- since its the kind you worked into the soil you may need to change the soil or maybe flush the heck out of her- hopefully someone with more experience will chime in with what will work best. I'd stay away from the Miracle Grow if possible cause that seems to cause a lot of trouble too. Then get a veg stage fertilizer that has a much higher N in it. I use a 12-6-6 and it works well.
Oh and welcome to :420: theres a lot of experienced growers here who can help you. :Namaste:

it could very well be the gnats causing the problem. the larvae feed on the roots and cause alot of damage which makes it diffcult for the plant to uptake nutrients. u need to fix this issue before u flower or it will be damaging to buds too. If ur pesticide doesnt work, fill a large watering can with water and add 17.5 H2o2(peroxide) @1ml/litre. flush through the soil. leave a couple days then put weak feed through. After 7 days put 17.5% H2O2 @0.5ml/litre through. then after couple days flush with weak feed. u will have to reintroduce some beneficial microbes to the soil as u will sterilise the soil but kill and eggs and larvae.

I've been thinking the gnat problem might be causing the nute deficiency but I wasn't sure. I just started researching MG potting soil today ( a little late I know) and found out that those fuckers at Monsanto admitted to having a gnat infestation in their potting soil! dafuq man. I'm going out and buying some fox farm, oceans forest or happy frog later and gonna transplant the plant into a bigger pot consisting of new soil (thats hopefully not infested with those damned gnats) with my current mix. I think that my mix should supply enough nitrogen, with worm castings and kelp meal and my fert I'd imagine it would suffice for nitrogen, or at the very least not show such drastic signs. What you guys think???

I hope you have not transplanted yet!!!! I would really try and sterilize the roots or you are just going to bring the little buggers with you into the new soil!! I would do the peroxide flush first before transplanting. with fox farm soils you REALLY DO NOT want to be putting H2O2 into it. its way to good of soil to sterilize!! hope this helps !!

Keep it green!!!

ofcourse u want to sterilise it! thats how u kill the pests and save the plant. good soil or not its useless if his roots are chewed to pieces! Good bacteria and fungus can be reintroduced after the sterilisation very easily and the nutrient content wont be affected.

after thought.... i see what u are saying, hes not in that soil yet.

yea only if he has not transplanted. you definitely are right though he needs to kill them buggers fast!!!!!!

This is the same plant from a different post, It is a Magnesium deficiency, tsp per gallon of water during normal watering, Epson Salts is great for this and its the cheapest nutrient you can buy.

Update: Got some h202 3% solution, diluted into water 1 part h202:4 parts water. Flushed decently, after lights came back on no pests were found at all! Got some fox farm oceans forest soil, mixed some (very small amount) happy frog tomato & veg in with the soil and misted the top layer of soil with water. Plant is looking a little worse, more yellow dieing leaves, I think the flush might of burned it a litttle. I'll upload pics in a min. Please help, I feel like I'm kind of on the cusp of saving her or losin her. Some titanic shit.

Your doing okay man. Keep your chin up. She has gone through a lot of stress in the past week or so. She may get worse before she gets better. But don't give up. These are really hardy plants and can come back from near death. Just be gentle with her, maybe read her a story to brighten her mood ;) , and after you transplant her to her new home water lightly.

Good luck man. I will be sending some good vibes her way!!!

Just saw that I must have torn one of the smaller branches that was LST'd down, didn't see the tie and must have ripped it a good amount. I propped it up against the cut, will see if it rejuvenates, if not I'll cut it off and probably clone it.

Here are the updated pictures:
IMG_9099.jpg
IMG_75143.jpg
IMG_68831.jpg
IMG_65331.jpg

After the transplant she's already looking 10 times better! Really must have been a combination of some funk ass soil and those damn gnats. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. Now I'm worried about flowering cuz i've been holding off on throwing it in flower due to all the issues, think she's near ready or should i wait more to avoid stress / just needs more time?

gnats are caused by over watering. They dont go very deep so they dont do much damage to healthy plants they are more harmful to cloned plants roots than seed plants tap roots. If you use peroxide once in your organic soil you might as well just use it the rest of the grow (Oxygenated grows are good to no root rot and no bugs)and go synthetic because with no microbe life in the soil the plants going to suffer and you might be disappointed.

Good to see you have her problem figured out.
I would give her a few days to recover b-4 starting to flower- the energy needs during flower will stress her out even more so it would be best if she started out well fed and rested. The FFOF has enough nutes for her for now, but I would get some liquid flower nutes to feed her rather than the dry stuff you were mixing in. The liquid nutes that you feed weekly or so allow you some control in case of over or under feeding.
Happy Growing!:goodjob:

so i transplanted into ffof soil with a tiny bit of happy frog tomato and veg fertilizer. My leaves are starting to turn yellow with browning spots. Can't decide if this is my magnesium deficiency getting severely bad, or if i'm nute burning them. what do you guys think and should i flush / dry out the soil a bit?

IMG_7446.jpg
IMG_64255.jpg
IMG_50552.jpg
IMG_36975.jpg

well, the thing is. I wouldn't call it figuring the problem out. When I transplanted I moved it into a pot with like 99% FFOF soil and maybe like 1-3% happy frog tomato and veg dry fertilizer (which I've read was meant to work with the FFOF soil). My plants are now showing signs of either a hyper-extreme magnesium deficiency (which people where suggesting before the gnat problem, so I think it could just be the magnesium deficiency becoming worse), or a nutrient burn. Since the h202 flush, i've only moved it into a steady FFOF soil and a little bit of worm castings and Happy Frog tomato and veg dry fert. I don't really understand how this could nute burn it so I haven't really been watering it, she's a little dried out. My moisture reader says its like 25% moist, I'm not sure if I'm overwatering and causing nute burn cuz of overwatering or too many nutes in the soil mix. Should I dry the soil out and see how the plant reacts, or just go straight to flush?

IMG_7446.jpg
IMG_64255.jpg
IMG_50552.jpg
IMG_36975.jpg
IMG_159010.jpg

- theres a paradigm right now focused on the individual. Wealth equates to happiness; the way you accumulate wealth is through the distinction of your superiority over another. Why do you deserve to be paid more than someone else? You have to be better than the opposition. What if our society wasn't meant to be competing against each other, but working to compliment each other??

The pots should be 3 gallon pots bare minimum. I experience the same issues with many other plants including tomatoes, and it is usually when the roots have reached a maximum size for their environment. Purple leaves mean phosphorus deficiency, but the purple stalks indicate it is a strain of indica, especially if the leaves are big fat leaves and not long slender. The slender are sativa. Anyway, Indica is normally starts off as small pods of buds in a line, especially at the colas, and they stay small , stocky and have woody stems, sometimes purplish stalks where they branches lie lower. They are very woody at the main stalk's trunk, and remain green at the top, with large white hairs to start the flowering,, (tricombs) then, they become very skunky and stinky, have a relatively candy like sweetness, and are extremely relaxing and pain releiving during it's buzz.

The main thing I did was grow them with light fluffy 2/3 pete moss, and home depot's Vigoro soil which was all organic. It has a lot of sand in it to keep the soil from binding, but, I automatically use a 5 gallon or larger container. I like 10 gallon flower buckets with water drains. I fill 1/4 of the way with crushed stone, then, the rest of the way with the mix. I use hairy vetch manure and at least 1 large shovel full during the mixing of soil.

I cage them and leave them outdoors with a soaker hose and a garden timer to water them 12 times a day for 2 minutes each time. I mix fertilizer in the watering tank, miracle gro and a put a loose granular all natural fertilizer in the mix, "Garden Tone", once every 2.5 - 3 weeks.

The plants yielded 800-900 grams on average. I am not even exaggerating, they may even have had a bit more, but, before I used a dehydrator to dry the bud, I had a mold issue. I started using a Ronco cool air dehydrator but was nearly caught from the aroma from my grow spot. I finally stopped once I had enough of it gone then stopped growing all together, but, I figured I'd pass my success story around to others wishing to grow. The best strains i grew were c. afghani indica , white widow and norther lights. All of the variations that did best were #1 skunk strains, however, the tastiest of the bunch were the indicas and they had the nicest most relaxing buzz.

Good Luck, I know this is an older post, but, it's all good! Get baked and stay baked!

What Strain is it?
AMS, got as a clone from a friend, not sure other than its anti-mold

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
See 1

How Many Plants?

Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
Its in veg, showing preflowers.

If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
Not sure how many weeks it is, Ive only had it for the past 3 weeks..so at least 3 weeks XD

Indoor or Outdoor?
Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Soil

If Soil... What is in your Mix?
Pot was given with a mix in it that I'm not positive on, but due to gnats, I've been removing the top few inches of soil and replacing with my own mix which is: Miracle Grow organic Potting soil, vermiculite, kelp meal, worm castings and Jobes tomato and veg organic dry fert. I keep the fert low in the soil to avoid nute burn, though that may still be the problem?

If Soil... What Size Pot?
It looks to be a 2-3 gallon pot, again, it was the one given with the plant. I have bigger pots I'll transplant into later, just want the issues to be straightened out to avoid any unnecessary stress.

Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
I'm using 5 100 watt CFL's, 3 blue spec and 2 red.

Is it Air Cooled?
Got a double CPU fan exhaust.

Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
The temperature the first few weeks were around 73-79, now they're ranging from 63 @ lights off and 74 at lights on.

RH of Room/Cabinet?
I think the RH is 24.9? Used a calculator online and not sure if I did it right. I have a humidity reader in the cabinet and the humidity ranges from 45 at lights on to 70 at lights off. Wide range, i'll get a dehumidifier for flowering.

PH of Medium or Reservoir?
I just got a new digital ph reader and if it's working (it reads 7 when its not in anything, then when i put it in my soil it looks like it resets and reads but goes to 7) it's 7, but for some reason i'm doubtful. I've gotten readings from 6.7-7.0.

Any Pests?
I have gnats :(. at least i'm pretty sure they're gnats. little tiny black flying things, crawling around in soil. very low numbers. i've been disturbing and replacing the top layer of soil every day, put down potato slices and pulled out a few days later. Got some pesticide with concentrated neem oil and pyrethins which after use will cut down on numbers SEVERELY, but there will always be like 1 or 2 i can spot the next day. Fuckin survivors. I got some new ingredients and made a new soil mix (the one i listed in the soil mix Q) and when I put that on top I haven't seen a gnat (yesterday) but I'm not optimistic they're gone.

How Often are you Watering?
I let the soil nearly completely dry out last week to help with gnats, normally though I'll water about every 2-3 days or when the soil is dry.

Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Using Jobes tomato and vegetable dry fertilizer mixed in with my soil mix.
Shop Jobe's 6 lbs Organic Vegetable Food Granules (2-5-3) at Lowes.com

Size or Square Footage of Room?
The cabinet is small stealth grow, its about 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep and 3 feet tall.

IMG_63093.jpg

Here you can see the purple stems and the woody type main stem. I can't seem to find any solid information about purple stems, some people say its because the plant is sucking up nutes, others say its cold, others say it's deficiencys. Haallpppp

IMG_78431.jpg

The yellow lower leaves are what worries me, the guy who gave me her says it's due to stress from the transferring of locations, but it's been 3 weeks and I feel like it's not longer shock but something else.

IMG_70323.jpg
IMG_23332.jpg

More yellow leaves and purple stems.

Please help, I really have no distinct idea what is going on or how to fix it. It's my first grow and i'm wary of the fact i don't know much, so I try not to over water or over do anything, but I don't want to do anything i'm no 100% on either! Thanks guys!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom