First grow

BRIGSTAR

420 Member
Hi there,one week into first grow,not a gardener so all new.Of six seeds five have germinated at different times.I started them in jiffy seed starter domeswith peat pellets,then 2 into fiber pots and 2 into a foil tray embedding the peat pellets in Pro mix seed starting mix with "mycoactive".I have ordered Coco but wont be here for another four weeks(i'm in Ontario Canada,ordered it from Walmart,it's coming from Texas?) have a 4x4 room with Vipar spectra R900 405Watts draw.Running lights veg only for 14Hrs on 10 off not sure if that is correct but that is in the light instructions.I amstruggling to keep humidity higher than 30% is that ok when I can nolonger keep them under plastic?
Wondering if rain water collected fom a gazebo would be ok(rather than of a shingled roof) or would tap water be safer as no contamination?
How lond can they stay in the seed starting mix?
Also I am starting other plants,Petunias etc,can this be a problem?TIA

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    560.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 57
Welcome Brightstar, good start.
I use rain water all the time. There's no minerals in it so problems will arise over time if you don't amend it with some calmag.
I keep seedlings in those trays until the leaves get bigger than the diameter of the pot, or until they need water every day.
I don't think other plants will be a problem. Have fun and good luck.

You need 18/6 light on the plants. I think that is where I screw up mine busting out . I went 18 /6 and two days sprouted some leaves .
Low humidity is why the leaves are drooping!

Welcome Brightstar, good start.
I use rain water all the time. There's no minerals in it so problems will arise over time if you don't amend it with some calmag.
I keep seedlings in those trays until the leaves get bigger than the diameter of the pot, or until they need water every day.
I don't think other plants will be a problem. Have fun and good luck.
Ok thanks,I'll check what calmag is.

Welcome @BRIGSTAR what are your temps like in your room? I had a heater in my room just like yours, I took it out on the suggestion of one of the big brains around here. Saves me energy andI think helped me bring up the humdify in my pot condo.

I was worried about my plants getting to mid to low 60's at night and was informed that I don't have to worry and can save myself some energy, mid to low 60's is what it gets at night when plants grow outside all the time you silly git (I'm paraphrasing, the big brain was much too polite to say it in such a fashion).

Of course if you are getting too much colder than that, you probably ought to have a heater in there.

Anyway, have fun, we all look forward to watching your progress! CHeers, luck to your grow! :yahoo:

Welcome @BRIGSTAR what are your temps like in your room? I had a heater in my room just like yours, I took it out on the suggestion of one of the big brains around here. Saves me energy andI think helped me bring up the humdify in my pot condo.

I was worried about my plants getting to mid to low 60's at night and was informed that I don't have to worry and can save myself some energy, mid to low 60's is what it gets at night when plants grow outside all the time you silly git (I'm paraphrasing, the big brain was much too polite to say it in such a fashion).

Of course if you are getting too much colder than that, you probably ought to have a heater in there.

Anyway, have fun, we all look forward to watching your progress! CHeers, luck to your grow! :yahoo:

Hi,thanksfor the input,I'm at 27c/80F with lights on and 20c/68F lights out this temp maintained by the heater.The fan stabalized the temps,they were all over the place without it.

So at week 14 and I think that I should be repotting soon.They are in Promix seed starting mix,I would like to stay with Promix,their Organic veg and herb has been recommended on this site,would I put them in that next.Also will i have to add nutrients?
00000570.JPG

Take a gander at the underside and see if you have roots poking out the drain holes. I like to give the sides a squeeze, turn them over a bit and plop them out of their pots even and look that way too, they pop right back in easily. Very cool to see the root structure!

Oops yes days not weeks.Watering every one or two days,the room is pretty dry 30%-50%Rh.I have a small fan on a timer it runs on averge 12 Hrs per day,this probably dries them out a bit?

Back
Top Bottom