First Journal - Super Silver Haze - Coco - Top Drip DTW - 600 Watt MH/HPS

cstump420

Hello everyone here goes my first journal.
Strain- Super Silver Haze femenized from seed, got them from 420, great service from them by the way.
Medium/pot size- This time i used the big Sun leaves coco coir block mixed with about 20% perlite. currently have them in 5 liter pots, i have heard that small pots are better for coco and multiple feedings a day. so may only go up to a 8 or MAYBE 10 liter you guys tell me what you think.
Light- T8 bulbs for seedlings, 600watt dimmable MH for veg, 600 watt HPS for flower Plus mars hydro 120x5 led panel.
Temp/humidity- veg side stays around 80 when lights on with 55-65% humidity, temps sometimes drop to 65 when lights are off, Flower side temp stays at 76 lights on with 35% humidity when lights off temp can go down to 65 with 50% humidity.
Nutrients- CNS17 Grow, Bloom, Ripe, my hydro store didnt carry the coco specific cns17, so i have the ones for all mediums, also calmag, silica blast, and superthrive.
Veg time- just started with this coco but i plan on doing two month veg from seed cause that will keep my prepetual harvest easier to manage if flowering time is roughly two months as well.
Pest- months ago i encountered white flys, i took action and havent had any of those around to my knolegde, every now and then i see a fungus knat, but that was with my soil, ive heard coco is suppose to be better about pest.

Well to start off my Super Silver Haze (SSH) is now about a month old from the day i put the seed into the rapid rooter plug. took about 3 days for 5 out of 6 to come up. after a couple roots were showing i put them in ffof soil in 18ounce solo cups. this was before i planned on running coco coir.

IMG_20160103_160845_554.jpg

about 2 weeks later i gentally worked the soil out of the roots and transplanted into 5 liter pots of coco coir. also the heat mat is there for when i have my dome in there for seedlings, the monster can cap is there to prop dome off the mat a lil, lol i need to clean it up a bit i know!

IMG_20160115_151142_436.jpg

Now ten days later they have recovered nicely IMO. i also have now been feeding with 12ml of grow, 5ml of calmag, just now started using silica blast at 1ml a gallon, and also a slight bit of super thrive. two of the plants have shown a slight deficiency and they all look kinda light, thats why i have been giving 5ml of calmag and was feeding with 10ml of grow, but changed it to 12ml two days ago. mabe i need to go full strength at 18ml a gallon now? heres some pics

IMG_20160124_215547_198.jpg

IMG_20160124_215258_060.jpg

IMG_20160124_215304_176.jpg

IMG_20160124_220006_913.jpg

i know its just the first set of leaves but its moving up to the next sets tips. pH has been AT 5.8 and once at 6 just to switch it up a lil to see if that was the problem. my drip system is also not running yet as i still need my waste res. i have been hand watering once a day. will have the drip system going soon. and a question about run off with coco, i know everyone says 15/20% run off every watering but would it be possible to tune down the run off a bit to maybe 5% every watering with the pump running for one minute, then once a week or every few days have my timer make the pump kick on for 3 minutes maybe to flush them out a bit? my goal is to make waste as low as possible also to make my res last at least 4 or 5 days for vacationing, if this would be to big a deal i could just up my res size. but the savings on less water would be nice, but not if it will hurt my plants. ive also heard wonderful things about House Of Garden Drip Clean, so i picked up a liter of that to use. thanks to all and i am very happy to be sharing my first coco grow with you all, also happy to have everyones support. im gunna throw some pics of my recent plants and current plants in soil just so you all can see some of my previous work.
IMG_20151221_235858_937.jpg

IMG_20151221_235455_492.jpg

IMG_20160117_081113_809.jpg

IMG_20160119_160942_940.jpg

IMG_20160123_053736_609.jpg

Top of the morning to ya Cstump, said I would stop on by and here I am. Looks like you got a great set up going!! And your babies look great! So the nutes your talking about is that just a one container deal, no mixing other stuff? That sounds nice and simple, curious to see how well it works for you. Anyway champ looks like your on your way to a sweet grow good luck and I'll be watching.

Thanks budbadger! And yes the cns17 by bonticare is a one part formula that comes in grow, transition/bloom, and ripen. One for each stage of the plant. It is suppose to be everything you need according to hydro shops and they're website. But we all know our herb will be more picky than that so I also have some silica blast an calmag. Gunna keep it simple as possible an want to make it threw this grow without feeling like a mad scientist every time I'm mixing nutes. Plus once I have all 4 drip systems operation for all 4 ages of my plants if it works I think it will be a big plus. Less time mixing Nutes and more time tending them and living my life.

Well the next two days I should be pretty busy. I plan to get my drip system complete and running, I have 5 small white widow plants I need to harvest, have to flush 4 of my soil SSH haze out and move to flowering side, plus get my coco babies under the MH lamp and start 5 more seeds. I'm either debating on trying to do clones off my soil SSH or go ahead and go with my new super skunk fem seeds. I will be sure to take plenty of pics along the way and keep y'all posted on the garden. Any suggestions for either clones or seeds? My last clones failed and idk why. I did everything I thought was right. I'd like to get it down to save money on seeds.

Got home from work was gone for 13 hours and the babies have grown atleast an inch while i was gone.
IMG_20160126_172443_136.jpg

IMG_20160126_172420_659.jpg

Only one plant is showing slight deficiency on lowest leaves. now feeding at 14ml grow, 5ml calmag, 1ml silica blast, and couple drops of superthrive. also going to be cutting down some white widow plants either today or tomorrow. they have a few amber trichs now. heres some pics
IMG_20160126_075030_672.jpg

IMG_20160126_074812_163.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-26-07-55-24.png

i can see where they got the name white widow from.

hey so thpught id have a look.

Drippers are ok but im not a fan of them in coco. especially on smaller grows as its easy to hand water. The drip clean will def help keep lines clean. One thing i notice is you are going off the bottle for feed measurements, never a good idea. you need to do feeds by ec strength or ppm. i use ec. plants that size shouldny be fed more than ec 1.2. ph between 5.5 and 6.2 is fine for coco.

I never water to run off. its not necessary unles you are really heavy on feeding. i just flush at 10 - 12 days before harvest with lots of run off then and then only plain water till i harvest.

when using a 1 part nute id just have my ec meter in res and add feed til its at required strength. way more acurate and no more measuring feed.

if i were you id move to much larger pots. 5 litre are tiny, for beat results in a small space i suggest 12litre or 16. they will still get root bound and reward you with more bud.

I have a small coco grow running now, smallest grow ive done in a couple years at least and they are in 12 litre pots. and started in small pots till well rooted.

Thanks for coming by my journal I was starting to feel bad on budbadgers! Lol but I will say I am very experimental with how I been growing, first plants I LST, topped, and lolly popped. Second plants I lst and that was it. Third plants I did nothing. 4th plants I LST and lolly popped. These plants I'm mind set to stay on the smaller side of pots and try to water often. Next plants in a couple weeks i may go to bigger pots with less feedings if im still not 100% satisfied with my work. And as for ec meter that is my next investment. And the drippers you see are not restrictive at all they just flow out very easily. If they get clogged what so ever I'll just take them out. The orbit 8 flow thing is were I will adjust the flow rate for each plant.

trouble with drippers are tbey tend to over feed especially if you arent tbere to check.

you have to learn your own way. But trust me when i say i can save you hassle and skip the experimental part. The end game is to get as much bud with as high quality as you can. have a little browse through some of my journals . i only show small to medium sized grows here but you will see some of what i do.

traininh plants is important to get the best from them. alot of the debates i have with peoplw on here regard training. but when i ask what they have grown..... id avoid topping but bend alot for best results.

good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice. Idk why u are stuck on drippers and they tend to over feed when I'm not even using drippers. Lol they are nothing more then a open end. I control the flow from my orbit adjustable 8 flow. And the pump would kick on for how ever long with my timer. I ran a test on 5 sites with my small 97gph pump for 1 minute and each put out 1, 16oz solo cup of water. I believe I shouldn't have a over feeding problem if I properly set my timer and let my plants develope enough to handle multi feedings a day. I seen a different thread a guy who is feeding 3 times a day by week 2 and has unbelievable roots at week 4. He also claimed 9.25 oz plants in 6.5 liter pots. And by his pictures I believe it. And FYI the reason I'm setting up an automated watering system is because it will fit my life style much better to be able to leave for a few days if needed and only have to refill the total 4 res about once 5-7 days. I have been hand watering my plants all every day to every other day after 12 hour night shifts at the steel factory. Again different grow styles fit different people. I guess you will see how it works for me in the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom