First Time Grower

Hello SweetSue and Dennise, good morning and nice to meet you! Yes this is so exciting. I found myself just starring at her yesterday, though the window lol. I brought her in this morning, got up at 6 to beat my neighbors who like to sit on their porch. I brought her inside and WHOA she has grown! I almost hit her on the ceiling fan, but luckily my hubby caught me in time!
I am excited to have people excited with me, my husband is excited but he helps his friend trim all the time so this is nothing new to him. This is a whole new world for me though! I have a couple "Blueberry" seeds I got in my bag from Noble Farms, and once I am done with this girl I am going to plant them. So fun! I can't wait to buy a house and make my own little grow room, that will be fun! I wish some of you lived by me to enjoy the flowers once their ready to smoke :) :) :) <3

I love the exuberance steff. :laughtwo: One of the best things about this site is being able to find people as excited as you are about your plant. You're good with the camera. We like that. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I warn you steff, my journals are long and dense. :laughtwo: There's a gold mine in each one though because so many talented people frequent. Pace yourself. :laughtwo:

I'm still trying to figure out what's in them. LOL!!!

On the molasses. Yes it's OK. I said it before. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I was just curious. I think one of the biggest things to keep in mind as a grower is that 'doing it right' or something being 'ok' is very subjective (within reasonable parameters). The only 'right' formula is ultimately what gets you acceptable results. I know it's hard to know how to get there on your first grow, and it is equally hard for others to accurately guide you. All we can do is give you verbal directions while you walk blindly through a dark maze hoping to stumble in the right direction and end up at a pot of gold.

Anywho...molasses.

Many are of the mindset that molasses should be used sparingly. I've read as little as a tsp per gallon once a month to as much as 2 tbsp or more per gallon every week. The reasoning behind it comes down to microbiology. You are feeding the soil, not the plant. When you supply a steady diet of the sugar complexes in molasses, they (soil bacteria and fungi) *might* become lazy about using other sources of food. I say *might* because I haven't read a study on it and don't yet have an electron microscope to see whats happening, lol.

Second, molasses also contains sulfur and potassium. You could load up on either one potentially causing a 'lock out' situation of other elements. For instance, excess potassium can upset the availability or uptake of zinc, iron, magnesium and manganese, and can effect the availability of calcium.

I'm not suggesting you cut back. It's very hard to sit in front of a screen and give someone advice on something like that. There are too many variables that are unique to your grow....location, water, genetics, soil health, nutrient sources etc. Oh, and it ain't broke, lol.

It's part of the learning process for you. You have to learn how to get in tune with your plants and soil. You're doing great, she's telling you everyday.

On a side note I just scored 50 gallons of molasses for free from a neighbor. :woohoo:

Oh, and truth be told I smacked a fully flowered plant with a running ceiling fan...very recently. Thankfully it was coming in to get chopped, lol.

:peace:

like all good nutes, use molasses sparingly for best results. I like how it reacts with great white. heirloom is spot on, your treating the soil or medium of your choice. I use a tsp per gallon, once a week with great white mycorrhizae. during flush I will also feed a small amount of molasses.

I feed my tomatoes my run off nutes. it causes them to burst from growth. sweetest tomatoes I ever tasted though.

Molasses is good for the body. I try to remember to take 1-2 TBS a day. Really I only get a tablespoon every time I think of it, which is every time I neutralize my water, so yeah, I guess every day. :laughtwo: I'm testing out the theory that a the regular consumption of molasses will turn gray hair back to your natural color. It seems to be working.

And it's delicious. :cheesygrinsmiley:

my mom made the best ginger snap cookies you ever tasted.

Sixty-one years old and a big fan of molasses, so it's really hard to believe I've never baked ginger snaps. One of my favorite cookies too. I should do them with canna butter when I get enough harvest to make some. Thanks for the inspiration mussh. :love:

I should do them with canna butter when I get enough harvest to make some. Thanks for the inspiration mussh. :love:

I have some canna butter. I was going to make peanut butter cookies. instead I will call my mom and get that ginger snap recipe.

thanks for reminding me that molasses is delicious, sweetsue! I will get you her recipe, if you want.

I have some canna butter. I was going to make peanut butter cookies. instead I will call my mom and get that ginger snap recipe.

thanks for reminding me that molasses is delicious, sweetsue! I will get you her recipe, if you want.

I would be honored to try your mother's recipe. :love:

When you bake those canna ginger snaps be sure to drop a picture and review on Cannafan's edibles thread.

When you bake those canna ginger snaps be sure to drop a picture and review on Cannafan's edibles thread.

just got off the phone with my mom. she will be emailing me that recipe.

didn't mean to hi-jack your thread steff!

:Namaste:

im on the cusp of starting my 1st indoor grow. ive done alotta reading here about the cfls over the past few months, and finally became a member here at 420 mag today. Ive seen some great grows done by cfls on here. i built a pretty cool closet/ tent style light box incorporating 12 cfls ranging from 6500k to 2700k. built it complete in 2 hours too! DUAL spectrum, daylight, warm and cool spectrums. All lights are aesily accessible and can be raised, lowered or moved back or forward without un plugging.. lol stoned engineering! lol. im hoping i can do somewhere close to as the beauty u have sprouted on the balcony. well done. she looks superb!

I can't wait to create an actual grow "room." There are a lot of fires here in Washington and Oregon right now so the air is really hazy and I don't want that crap on my poor girl! Icky! I have thought about converting a closet in my hall, but I have been procrastinating because so far I have been left alone about my little garden lol :)

I had great success with that tiny closet. In the end I worked those CFLs so well and my soil was so strong that I pulled 4.5 oz. off those two autos. They were sweet. :laughtwo: As you can tell, I'm partial to closet grows. My tent was a gift. The light, the filtration system and many of the seeds were gifts as well. I'm a very blessed woman who missed that closet. It's good to be growing in it again. :cheesygrinsmiley:

im on the cusp of starting my 1st indoor grow. ive done alotta reading here about the cfls over the past few months, and finally became a member here at 420 mag today. Ive seen some great grows done by cfls on here. i built a pretty cool closet/ tent style light box incorporating 12 cfls ranging from 6500k to 2700k. built it complete in 2 hours too! DUAL spectrum, daylight, warm and cool spectrums. All lights are aesily accessible and can be raised, lowered or moved back or forward without un plugging.. lol stoned engineering! lol. im hoping i can do somewhere close to as the beauty u have sprouted on the balcony. well done. she looks superb!

Welcome to the :420: community STIHL LOGGER. Are you considering running a small journal of your grow showing off this cool closet? We love that kind of thing here and I, for one, would like to see what you did with the CFLs. :battingeyelashes:

Yeah i hear those fires are terrible. good to see the tomatilla is still doin good! lol. it might like the co2 comin outta the air.. havin a closet set up would be kick ass. ill have to upload some pics of the set up i built. all set up it weighs less than 20 lbs. im really thinkin about marketing these damn things! lol. super simple. super light. every sq inch is covered in 1/4 inch mylar faced foam board. more lights can be added easily. i have the lights mounted in power strips that are mounted on sliding bars. im all set up to grow.. just waitin on a plant to pop outta its little shell. all in all it cost around a hundred to set up.. turn key ready to do its job. :)

Back
Top Bottom