First week of flower little to no stretch?

toddtony

I’m on my second grow and I’m using bag seeds my plants are in pots filled with sungro black gold organic potting soil.in a 2X4 I’ve been sparsely using fox farm liquid trio fertilizers no bloom fertilizer yet..I believe all 4 plants are indica dominant but no specific strain info. I flipped the lights from 18/6 to 12/12 about 6 days ago an only one of the plants seems to be stretching slowly with around 4inches of growth at its highest points while the other. 3 don’t seem to be doing much there is a a slight possibility light was leaking in as it’s not lights on until 10:30am however I’ve tapped and covered the windows 4 days in do I just need to wait until week2? Or is there something going on?​

I’m on my second grow and I’m using bag seeds my plants are in pots filled with sungro black gold organic potting soil.in a 2X4 I’ve been sparsely using fox farm liquid trio fertilizers no bloom fertilizer yet..I believe all 4 plants are indica dominant but no specific strain info. I flipped the lights from 18/6 to 12/12 about 6 days ago an only one of the plants seems to be stretching slowly with around 4inches of growth at its highest points while the other. 3 don’t seem to be doing much there is a a slight possibility light was leaking in as it’s not lights on until 10:30am however I’ve tapped and covered the windows 4 days in do I just need to wait until week2? Or is there something going on?​
My plants don't really do anything the first 2 weeks then they take off

The first week after the light change is sloowww. I figure most plants will be showing stigma/pistils in 5 to 7 days but have seen some take as long as 10 to 14--mostly the more sativa dominant strains.

Most of the time the second week is when there are enough stigma/pistils starting to show that the early shape of the buds becomes visible especially at the tops of the main growing stems.

The third week it is off to the races as some might want to say. The growing tips start to stretch like crazy. The number of these tips helps to figure out just how fast, and how much stretch there will be. The fewer of these main tips the more they will stretch since all the hormones, sucrose and plant energy is being directed there. If there are a lot of growing tips then it all has to be shared so less stretch shows.

I looked at some records from when I measured the height of one of the dominant tips on the day of or day after the light change. Then I would measure the height of the same tip at 5 to 7 days and then what ever schedule caught my attention. Looking back the first week would be very little stretch but weeks 3 thru 5 was where the most stretch was taking place. Then it slowed down and I noticed that after about 30-35 days (4 to 5 weeks) after the change it had slowed down that there was not much to notice even after measuring.

When I did follow through to the end of an 8 to 11 week flowering stage I would feel that there is still a very slow lengthening of the main tips if the increase in swelling of the buds would be counted as stretch.

Well we are on day 14 of flower and I feel like all 4 plants have done what stretching they we’re going to do. 3 plants were around 12inches in height before the flip of the 3 one seems like it’s done at 19.5 inches while the other two simply didn’t stretch sitting around 15inches idk why. under watering? Lack of nutrients? Only two things I can think of with the research I’ve done that or genetics. The 4th one was only 4inches out the soil and is now 7 so it did well. Wondering if the lack of stretch in the two that didn’t really stretch will drastically affect yields?

I’ll update this one more time in about 17 days after chop and dry with the dry weight however 2 of the plants had a true stretch one slightly more than doubling in size and the other almost doubling however the other 2 only added 25-33 percent of their original height on so a few inches however the 2 that didn’t stretch have very dense buds so think the yields be fine​

The yeilds were indeed pretty bad from 4 plants I got around 2.5oz that is equal to what o got from 2 bag seed sativa plants from my first grow not the most happy with this grow and don’t completely understand what happened some of the buds look nice though​

The biggest environmental factor in yield is photons per square foot. The other environmental factors have to be pretty far out of range to have any major effect. Sativa has a higher volume of less dense bud than Indica but they both have roughly the same weight/ square foot.

Quick math check; 12/12 started feb 6th. It takes 7 to 14 days of 12/12 for flowering to start. First hair is only maturity and the second hair right next to it is flower day 1. So feb17th? That was 8 weeks ago today. Subtracting the drying time you were at maybe 7 weeks of flower? The last 2 weeks is when the buds put on weight. With unknown genetics this could be an 8 week flowering plant or even a 12 week flowering plant. I have a couple strains that shift pistols and pop up a few ambers at week 5 of 9.

The yeilds were indeed pretty bad from 4 plants I got around 2.5oz that is equal to what o got from 2 bag seed sativa plants from my first grow not the most happy with this grow and don’t completely understand what happened some of the buds look nice though​

What size containers were your plants in and how long did you veg them for?

Back
Top Bottom