Flushing?

Santurro99

first timer and my babies are starting to get yellow tips on some of the older leaves and one plants leaves are curling down a lot. After doing some research i think i am either watering too much or nute lock out. Plants are 5 weeks old. Using foxfarm soil and fox farm nutes. Plants are in 2 gallon pots. I have been using nutes with every watering, starting a 1/4 strength and slowly moving to full strength. I was watering every other day as the pots seem to dry out quickly but have since started watering every 2-3 days.

My question is if I do a flush should i use regular tap water or distilled water? And should I feed with a weak nute solution right after?

You should be adding nutes every other watering. Over watering is the worst thing you can do because your plants cant breath and they drown, which results in death. Post some pics. Good luck !!

I never suggest tap water to be used unless you are using nutes specifically made for tap water. Letting tap water sit out will allow for the chlorine to evaporate; however, there are still other deposits that do not evaporate. These deposits can also build up in the soil throwing your ph off and causing nute lockout. Use distilled water or R/O water to flush in addition to use with your nutes.

When you are flushing mid-cycle like this, you want to use RO water with a wetting and chelated flushing product. The basic reasoning for doing this is that by using a wetting agent you will evenly flush the medium/roots. And the 'flushing' product has chelators that will bind up nutrients instead of leaving them there and only washing away medium and micro-organisms. Otherwise, flushing can actually concentrate built-up nutrients and cause further problems.

I hope Andy dosen't mind that I quoted him from a previous thread we were on. Andy taught me alot about flushing......:grinjoint:

The only thing I will add here is that after you flush, even wait half a day after and then feed with a light nutrient solution and then Observe.

If you are using RO water, remember that it has been filtered of everything including essential minerals. So you need to add these back after flushing.

Thanks Andy :smokin:

Thanks a bunch! Not to sound like a complete idiot but what is ro water and where can i get it? I have been using distilled water up to this point and have only considered using tap water that has been sitting out for flushing purposes only but I may reconsider.

Thanks a bunch! Not to sound like a complete idiot but what is ro water and where can i get it? I have been using distilled water up to this point and have only considered using tap water that has been sitting out for flushing purposes only but I may reconsider.

Reverse osmosis. I do not own an ro system, but plan to shortly. ;)

As a rule of thumb, most people are deciding not to use tap water. Because, in addition to chlorine, other, more reactive sanitizers are being used, such as choloramines. There's detailed threads in the forums about this. But, in a nutshell, something like a chloramine cannot be bubbled or even expect to be evaporated out of tap water.

This is akin to using something like ozone or peroxide in your water. Although not all sanitizers are oxidizers, they are all highly reactive - it's why they are effective and used in our water supply. However, they can not discriminate between microbes and kill both beneficial and harmful microorganisms.

In the name of safety, using water that has been processed through a Reverse Osmosis membrane will ensure you start with pure water without contaminants. However, I say this again - it has been stripped of EVERYTHING. It's like a clean slate, ready to be painted with bene-micros and minerals. So with soil, think dolomite, rock phosphate, epsom salts and azomite. In hydro, a reputable 2 or 3 part organic nutrient product will do the trick.

Brother Botwin comes through again!!! :cheer:

Sorry, but I still don't understand what RO water is and where do you get it?
I am having trouble with this one.I have searched all over 420 and each answer tells me to use RO water. What hell is it?
I must be stupid or its just going through my brain without stopping.:smokin:

i'm new to this stuff. Can someone explain how to flush a single plant. It's at 53 days right now and I just stopped giving it the nute solution.

Sorry, but I still don't understand what RO water is and where do you get it?
I am having trouble with this one.I have searched all over 420 and each answer tells me to use RO water. What hell is it?
I must be stupid or its just going through my brain without stopping.:smokin:

you can get it at almost any grocery store or wal-mart. just go to the bottled water section and u can get it in one gal. jugs or more larger sizes. just look on the label of the jugs and it will tell you the proses the water was purified by. at my local wal-mart it is about $0.75 for one gal. jugs. also u can buy water cooler jugs and fill them up at most grocery stores. if u have a small garden and don't need a lot. if it is a large setup u might want to look into getting a RO purifier.

i'm new to this stuff. Can someone explain how to flush a single plant. It's at 53 days right now and I just stopped giving it the nute solution.

it's in miracle grow soil, in a 5 gallon bucket. Indoor grow under CFLs. I started it from a seed in early may. It's 60" tall and very bushy. I started the budding cycle 54 days ago. I have been giving it a nutrient solution "IONIC bloom for soil/coco. I'm pretty sure I should harvest soon.
I really don't know what to do next -any educated advice would be apreciated

So if you were to flush a plant pre-harvest, you'd be pouring in 10 gallons of water to the top of the plant and let it run out of the bottom of the bucket through the dirt. Just pour in 10 gallons as fast as you can without overflowing the pot?

Or is it put in a gallon now, wait a few minutes, another gallon, etc., until 10 gallons go through it?

I have a planned growing area in my apartment, I'd definitely have to move the plants into the bathtub for that flushing operation!

So if you were to flush a plant pre-harvest, you'd be pouring in 10 gallons of water to the top of the plant and let it run out of the bottom of the bucket through the dirt. Just pour in 10 gallons as fast as you can without overflowing the pot?

Or is it put in a gallon now, wait a few minutes, another gallon, etc., until 10 gallons go through it?

I have a planned growing area in my apartment, I'd definitely have to move the plants into the bathtub for that flushing operation!

Im wondering the same thing?? I wish there were a "flushing for dummies" guide or something... or Some detailed explanation.. im confused lol...

Back
Top Bottom