Fox Farms Soil: Ocean Forest or Happy Frog

Yes you will need the nutes their are different stages you will use from seedling to veg and into bloom. Im a newbie @ this but currently are using the go-box from General Organics with great results though the one thing it is missing is the sugar that you will use as you'r budding hope this helps. the newbie ob.

I used Fox Farms Ocean Forest mix with Light Warrior also made by Fox Farms.....2 to 1 ratio...2 bags of Ocean crest n 1 bag of Light Warrior mix....it makes a good base soil......Ocean Forest alone are known to burn plants.....it works great for me..

I seem to get a nitrogen deficiency pretty quickly with FF soil. Moving forward i will definitely be adding 1tbsp. per gallon of blood meal to Ocean Forest or Happy Frog.

FF Happy Frog is a land soil with all the good land stuff like microbes and fungi. FF Ocean Forrest contains similar stuff as Happy Frog but also contains sea fish and crab meal in it minus the beneficials HF claims. Many claim to mix a bag of OF and HF together to get the best of both.

I have been using Happy Frog and Ocean Forest in a 50/50 blend with great results (400W Mh veg-400W HPS flower). I have not had to add extra nutes during veg and only added bloom 2 times in late flower per package instructions. I did however find that Ocean Garden used alone will burn your seedlings to a crisp due to high N

Just mixed HF & OF. HF clumps more in the bag.
Although it could be the HF came from lower on the pallet!!?

Use TGA Base soil and TGA Super soil, Awesome organic soil.
20131022_175342.jpg

tgasuper.jpg

PP,
I could be wrong but look at the bag size between Ocean & Frog. I think the Frog is a smaller bag size.

Ocean has plenty of nutes to cover seedlings for the first 2-3 weeks. After that and possibly a little sooner nutes are needed. I used Fox Farm Grow Big for veg and for flower I use Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha-Ching. Also added molasses and General Hydro Flora-Nectar.

When using the nutrients of for veg & flower how many ml of ea did you add to a gallon.

Ocean forest is a lighter mix, dries out faster.
Happy Frog is heavier and you can go an extra day without watering.

DN

I uses ff happy frog my last grow. It was aslo the first. I grew from seed to harvest with happy fr. I really did not have to fertilize or feed as much as i was told to. The plants kept getting yellow tips when I fed bloom food. I would water only for a few days and the leaves got better. I also used molasses during flowering till 2 weeks before harvest. I love happy frog and my plants do to.

I have ocean Forrest running in my flowering plants now can me a lil on the strong side for babies clones/seedlings but I just got two bags of happy frog for my newbies and no burn and its more soft airy I prefer HF its also the bigger bag too 2cf and ocean Forrest is 1.5 cf

roots organics original soil....this stuff embarrassed fox farms happy frog

I've grown in soil forever and I can tell you that there is no magic soil mix that would embarrass products like Fox Farm soils. In my last few grows I used Ocean Forest and all I can say is any plant loves this stuff. It's definitely got a shot or two of [N]itrogen in there because everything I've grown in it turns to the deepest, dark green and excellent growth. I've found that Ocean Forest will get a plant from seedling all the way to when you begin flowering, and even then I go sparingly on the nutes.

This morning I'm taking care of a single plant that I'm trying out in Happy Frog. After 28 days with just light watering I can definitely see that Happy Frog does not have the added [N]itrogen that Ocean Forest has. A few leaves are showing the distress signs of nitrogen deficiency and a few of the stems have the red streaks which in my thinking is a Mag deficiency. Realizing that "deficiency" is an ambiguous term because having done nothing with the nutes until day 28, I don't think that's a deficiency as much as the plant feeding and water running off with the available nutes. I think it's safe to say that Happy Frog is not such a hot soil as Ocean Forest.

I'm going to transplant this one today and since I have a big bag of each, I think I'll make a 50/50 mix of each and see what results I get.

It's now 1 hour later and I pulled the plant and it's root ball out of the styrofoam cup it's been growing in. The root growth was amazing, even for 28 days. So Happy Frog does have something the plant liked as far as root growth. The plant now has it's permanent home and I think it's going thrive in this mix. No nutes just yet, only fresh oxygenated water and it will stay that way until I go 12/12.

I have used both with perhaps a lil better yields from the happy frog. For smaller plants (less than 4z) I would use either in a mesh bottom pot and usually not need to feed for the 3-4 weeks I veg. I would like to state that I have gotten up to 10z in a mesh bottom 12inch using happy frog but that was vegged for almost 7 weeks.

Fox Farm is used by many soil growers on this site. If I was using soil, I would use the Ocean Forest mixed with 25 percent perliite. :peace:

I also use Fox Farms ocean blend. I was amazed. I didn't know I should cut it with more perlite. That's good to know. Everything went great, except for the fungus gnats that hatched before I had the clone for a week(grown by someone else), which means the clones came with them. I diagnosed the white spots as spider mites and saw them under the leaves on my Maui/bubble/gift. I read every blog and used tobacco, soap, vodka,canola oil and baking soda with a pinch of borax. I added milk to the water. I used hydrogen peroxide for the gnats, along with yellow sticky cards. My spray killed the mites and no more gnats. I used a large amount of diatomaceous earth around everything, and on soil. I adjusted the ph with a couple teaspoons of white vinegar per 2 gallons od water, since the earth is a ph of 8. Everything was working great. Healthy green leaves. I was told that after a month I needed to add big bloom. I also read about kangaroot and thought it would help replace what the hydrogen peroxide killed . I added 1 tablespoon and one teaspoon in 2 gallons of water. The next day many leaves turned brown on the tips and curled. Flushed next day with straight water. Next watering I added kangaroot, as directed on the bottle. Very small amount. Next day have many fan leaves with black edges and circles on the bottom. Flushed again with straight water. Started cutting time back and put in the 2700K bulbs in my 8 bulb 24" T-5 fixture and 2 extra CFL 150 watt bulbs lower. I am scared to use FF Big Bloom. They don't say in the directions, how much each plat should get after you mix 2 teaspoons per gallon. If you put too much volume of the water it burns. If I use 3 gallon pots to grow, how many gallons or quarts should each plant get.? I water until the top is flooded and it runs out the bottom. Is a half gallon per plant too much? My Obama looks bad, although the new growth is perfect and the buds are starting to form. Train wreck is doing better. Help....anyone

Hi stonekeeper7.

Our setups are pretty different, but I water 3 gal pots about 1L per pot/day in veg and about 2L/day when they're at full bloom while mixing a 1/4 to 1/2 strength nut solution. I also was using the full GH nute line of salts and a 50/50 mix H.F. and O.F. My last crop of sour D yielded 24 oz from 4 plants under 2 - 600 watt HID lights. I believe the yield was 1/3 more than the one before due to my using a Blue Lab multi tester and adjusting the PH to 6.0 - 6.5 after mixing the nuts each watering.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ps. I keep the PPM in the 500 to 800 range.

GH tells you how much drain through you should shoot for (I think about 20%).

I had the same result, straight happy frog. first grow with happy frog everything was good in veg but when I went to 12 12 room all the big fan leaves went spotty and brown and dried crispy dead. Small buds still matured somewhat.
Next time I put 1 very healthy veg plant in 12 12 room and after 2 weeks leaves are starting to do the same thing (spotty/brown/dying, can anybody help? thanks

I just started using Happy Frog. My first plant loved it.

I always start my seeds with inert soil. I really live Fertilome. There are no outside nutes.

After my babies are about two weeks old, I plan on transferring them into a Happy Frog medium.

FFOF is working great for my girls. In fact u use the trio plus salt trio. Watch ur PH and it will do great.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Sorry, I use those 6 FF products. But my tap water has PH of 7.8 so FF it is.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Back
Top Bottom