Freezing Cannabis Flower For Long Term Storage

NewToTHC

All:

Having been reading online about freezing cannabis flower to extend it's lifespan and quality. I have access to a vacuum sealer so thought about using that. As well my freezer tends to have a ridiculous defrost cycle and tends to soften frozen items before it refreezes so thought about putting the vacuum sealed bags in containers of water and freeze in a solid block. Thaw the whole thing out when needed. This I think should avoid any potential ice crystals forming on the buds. The vacuum sealer should avoid this, but thought it would be extra protection. Curious if anyone has tried this. If works would certainly help in keeping flower around all year.

a decent vacuum seal on it's own would be enough, so long as you stored it properly with no light exposure.

I have 2 yr old pot in vacuum bags and stored in a dark climate controlled closet. The taste and performance is as good today as it was 2 yrs ago. My 2 cents worth.

Interesting, so you are not freezing, but just keeping in a cool temperature stable area?. Wonder if vacuum sealed and stored in a dark plastic bag in a fridge vs freezing.

Having been reading online about freezing cannabis flower to extend it's lifespan and quality. I have access to a vacuum sealer so thought about using that.
I have read many times about people storing their cured weed (or seeds for future grows) in the freezer. It sounds like something that should work.

As well my freezer tends to have a ridiculous defrost cycle and tends to soften frozen items before it refreezes ...
The cause of 'freezer burn' is that small amount of thawing of the surface of foods, either meat, fish, or vegetable. It looses a bit of moisture and then the foods refreeze but the frost is stuck to the wrapper or bag. It does not go back in.

If you have eliminated a worn out door gasket and eliminated the chance that others in the house are opening the door to often and/or keeping it open for to long then there is the chance that one of the circuits controlling the de-frost cycle needs to be replaced.

Interesting, so you are not freezing, but just keeping in a cool temperature stable area?. Wonder if vacuum sealed and stored in a dark plastic bag in a fridge vs freezing.
I get the feeling that most of us are doing just that; storing the buds in an air-tight container, usually a glass jar or a food storage bag and keeping it in a dark and cool area. Keeping the bag in a fridge versus a freezer makes sense but a dark closet or in a dresser drawer would also work.

Personally this sounds like the worst idea I could think of.
You stop all curing when you freeze it.

I have a couple ounces right now that are at 2 1/2 years cured and both are very nice.
I am fairly certain they could go another year.
Just store in quart size mason jars sealed tight with a 62% boveda pack in it and place in a dark area that stays a constant temperature thats below 70⁰.

You could also make hash or oil out of it and store those in the refrigerator.
20211116_133009.jpg

We received our stovetop pressure cooker a week ago. There was a time there when we wondered if we would find one. I researched putting buds in a vacuum sealed bag. Then I read that the plastic bag could transfer a bad taste to the buds. Thought of vacu sealing jars with the buds in the jars. Keep the plastic film off the buds. Now we won’t have to worry bout going down that street. Just have to read and learn about using this pressure cooker. I’m a newbie again.

I have used vacuum sealers to store weed, and it works quite well, I've had it be just fine after almost 2 years. By the time you seal them, the curing process should be done. If you leave too much moisture (over 55-60%) you can get mold inside the packages. The biggest three factors in degradation of THC are light, heat, and to a lesser extent, O2. So if you keep your weed sealed in a cool, dark place you should be fine. Freezing works too, but it can contribute to crushed/crumbly buds, as they break real easy, especially when handled while frozen (or if you throw a package of porks chops on them!). If you have enough freezer space to put the sealed packs in water and freeze them, I see no issues, other than it takes up a lot of space and then you have to wait for the defrost!

Paid $135 for this aluminum pressure cooker. Wife had one years ago. What does a vacuum sealer cost? I have one closet in basement to store the mason jars in. We hardly ever open it. Upstairs off the apt there is a lot of dark space, like my brain lately. I have to remember to label the jars. Haven’t done it with canna butter in freezer. Then it’s a guessing game, which and when. And it’s getting larger and worse, that gray matter turning black....

Back
Top Bottom