Germination woes! Please help!

Rickstertp

I am on my third grow and have germinated 6 previous plants with 100% success in germination. This grow I have one plant growing and ten dead (expensive) seeds that have all failed at some point in the germination. I really need some help here. In the past, my technique was to put the seeds in distilled or spring water overnight and then into rapid rooters in a germination tray with heat mat underneath. Usually I have a seedling popping up within a couple of days.

This time only one of the three I started popped up and that plant is happily growing in my tent. I have two other strains I want to grow, but keep killing the seeds (Fastbuds CBD 20:2 and original OG Kush).

After trying the rapid rooters, I tried to use peat pellets. I soak them to expand them and then use a pencil to poke a hole about a half inch or so deep and lightly cover the seed with some of the moist peat and put it in a small dome in a closet that stays between 75 and 80F. Five seeds of the two strains died in those.

Lastly, I put the two strains in moist paper towels until a tap root shows about a quarter inch or so. Then I planted directly in my final 5 gallon pot with soil. I planted them pretty shallow after I had soaked about a pint of RO water into the center of the soil. Then I placed a tupperware bowl over the top to create a humidity dome.

I'm guessing my problem is moisture levels either get too dry or two wet at some point and the seed dies. This is getting frustrating and expensive. I've never had an issue at this part of the grow, so I'm stumped.

Do rapid rooters go bad? (they're about 9 months old and have been kept in my closet with controlled temps)

If using peat pellets, do you need to squeeze the water out after they expand? Do they need to be moistened after the seed goes in?

If germing in paper towels and then going right to soil, what are the tips to keep the process moving forward?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

hey @Rickstertp that sucks that the germenation is going wrong for you.
I only perform the paper towel method. Can't really say much about your other methods as i've never tried it.

try it this way. Drop whatever seed you want in to a half cup of water. distield or tap water
make sure the water is room temp and once you drop the seeds in the water give it stir with your fingure and put it in a dark place for two/three days. Essentially you want the seed to pup open.
Once the seed is slightly open then i put it between a moist paper towel and wrap the paper towel twice and put it in a sandawich plastic bags. Then i put that bag between a towel and i put it in a dark place. Since you have that matt heater put it on top of that.

In few days there should be a root. Once you see root then i stick it in to potting soil. make sure the tap root is facing down. Make sure the container that has soil is not all the way full. Have half of the container filled with soil. Once the plant starts growing and streching you will add more soil to the container.

make sure temps are around 80f with 70% humidity.

I've germenated all my seeds like this and never had an issue.

hey @Rickstertp that sucks that the germenation is going wrong for you.
I only perform the paper towel method. Can't really say much about your other methods as i've never tried it.

try it this way. Drop whatever seed you want in to a half cup of water. distield or tap water
make sure the water is room temp and once you drop the seeds in the water give it stir with your fingure and put it in a dark place for two/three days. Essentially you want the seed to pup open.
Once the seed is slightly open then i put it between a moist paper towel and wrap the paper towel twice and put it in a sandawich plastic bags. Then i put that bag between a towel and i put it in a dark place. Since you have that matt heater put it on top of that.

In few days there should be a root. Once you see root then i stick it in to potting soil. make sure the tap root is facing down. Make sure the container that has soil is not all the way full. Have half of the container filled with soil. Once the plant starts growing and streching you will add more soil to the container.

make sure temps are around 80f with 70% humidity.

I've germenated all my seeds like this and never had an issue.

Your technique is pretty much the one I used on this last attempt but after putting the seeds with taproot into soil, they haven't emerged from the soil. I'll give it a few more days, but my experience in the past is that they would pop up withing a couple of days of getting put into the soil.

How moist do you make your potting soil before or when you plant the seed? My soil was bone dry and I wet the center of it with water and then planted the seed with taproot. Do you add water after you have planted the seed?

Thanks

Yo, I did this a while ago and it turned out I was actually over wetting the towel/ starter medium ( damping down my seeds, even though to me it was not that wet compared to other times etc) I just make sure that I ph the distilled water to 5.8 ph and use that for the paper towel but only keep it moist.. not dripping wet. I then sprayed it moist when needed in between 2 plates. Then when the tap root is around 2-3 mm i planted into rapid rooters that were soaked in the Phed water then squeezed dry nearly and the seeds in question all popped.. well the 2nd lot i bought :cough:. Now I try and never make anything too wet or dry so that the new roots want to go and look for water.
Some seeds seem to be very finicky with how wet or dry they get during the vital tap root stage

Has there been any drastic change in your seed purchase?
Have you recently tried to germ new seeds / new seed bank or was this some out of the fridge?

Has there been any drastic change in your seed purchase?
Have you recently tried to germ new seeds / new seed bank or was this some out of the fridge?

This was a new batch I ordered from Seedsman and they are sending me some of their line as replacements. The order took 5 weeks to get to me, so I wondered if they were in hot conditions too much, but I also tried one of my seeds that was from a previous order from a local bank. Those seeds had already grown into plants successfully and they've been stored in cool, dark and dry conditions. That being the case, I have to admit it is something I'm doing. I think I have probably been too liberal with the water. I'm good about not overwatering my plants, but at this stage I am a bit lost.

I am on my third grow and have germinated 6 previous plants with 100% success in germination. This grow I have one plant growing and ten dead (expensive) seeds that have all failed at some point in the germination. I really need some help here. In the past, my technique was to put the seeds in distilled or spring water overnight and then into rapid rooters in a germination tray with heat mat underneath. Usually I have a seedling popping up within a couple of days.

This time only one of the three I started popped up and that plant is happily growing in my tent. I have two other strains I want to grow, but keep killing the seeds (Fastbuds CBD 20:2 and original OG Kush).

After trying the rapid rooters, I tried to use peat pellets. I soak them to expand them and then use a pencil to poke a hole about a half inch or so deep and lightly cover the seed with some of the moist peat and put it in a small dome in a closet that stays between 75 and 80F. Five seeds of the two strains died in those.

Lastly, I put the two strains in moist paper towels until a tap root shows about a quarter inch or so. Then I planted directly in my final 5 gallon pot with soil. I planted them pretty shallow after I had soaked about a pint of RO water into the center of the soil. Then I placed a tupperware bowl over the top to create a humidity dome.

I'm guessing my problem is moisture levels either get too dry or two wet at some point and the seed dies. This is getting frustrating and expensive. I've never had an issue at this part of the grow, so I'm stumped.

Do rapid rooters go bad? (they're about 9 months old and have been kept in my closet with controlled temps)

If using peat pellets, do you need to squeeze the water out after they expand? Do they need to be moistened after the seed goes in?

If germing in paper towels and then going right to soil, what are the tips to keep the process moving forward?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
My advice when growing expensive seeds is to only germinate one seed then clone so you do not waist all the money screwing up ten seeds at once.

Go directly into a rapid rooter, use your dome and heat tray.

Dip the rooter in water and squeeze, then squeeze half the water out.

Seed directly into the rooter, no paper towel, no float in water. To many steps leads to mistakes.

Use a spray bottle if the top of the rooter looks dry but don't drown it.

Lost one seed doing that total. My Rooters are vaccume sealed about 9 months old. The one seed I lost was a freebie and those are generally older seed.

Go directly into a rapid rooter, use your dome and heat tray.

Dip the rooter in water and squeeze, then squeeze half the water out.

Seed directly into the rooter, no paper towel, no float in water. To many steps leads to mistakes.

Use a spray bottle if the top of the rooter looks dry but don't drown it.

Lost one seed doing that total. My Rooters are vaccume sealed about 9 months old. The one seed I lost was a freebie and those are generally older seed.

Didn't read your post fully. Mine aren't vacuum sealed, but they have been in the ziploc bag they came in and they smell and feel and look ok.

It sounds like your soil is too wet. That kills a seedling easily.
When putting the seed with a tap root in the soil, don't put it any deeper than 5 mm. Measure the length of the seed with tap root and add 5 mm. Grab a chop stick between forefinger and thumb at that exact length and poke the hole in the soil to your fingers. Put the seed in carefully not to damage the tap root. Use your fingers and put a little bit of pressure on the soil around the seed to make sure the root has good contact with the soil.
Good luck!

Yes Rapid Rooters are fine as long as they don't mold. When you get them stick a baggie or glove on your hand and split them up in quart baggies then burp the air out the bag.

If you use the water method check after 12 and 24 hours but don't let them go past 24 hours. Old seed I soak for 12 then drop in a rooter.

You can put an ounce of water in the bottom of the tray to make the seeds reach for water.

As soon as you see the tap root sticking out transplant to whatever dirt/media you use.

When transplanted just give them like 6 ounces of water in the morning and check before bed to see it they need a small drink. (For tents anyway) increase water slowly at about 2 weeks be thinking a quart a day. Shoot it by eye from there.

How moist do you make your potting soil before or when you plant the seed? My soil was bone dry and I wet the center of it with water and then planted the seed with taproot. Do you add water after you have planted the seed?

Thanks

my paper tower is moist but no water will be dripping. i leave the sandwich bag open and put it between a towel into the tent. I don't make my soil wet prior to transplanting. if your soil is to dry then i would get a ready few days prior to transplanting. Soil should be somewhat moist but not wet.

I transplant and then i water it with its mc mixture.

Back
Top Bottom