GLR vs 16/8-18/6 Light Schedule!

thanks for the suggestion as to what to do with these useless expanded clay pellets. mixed into the soil, they create a mess. on top, they couldn't hurt.

I used a bunch on ornamentals out front to keep the passers by from using those containers for garbage cans.

today I found a YouTube video from an organic farmer in N Calif who advocates using worm casings to ward them off. I've already done that, but it violates the maxim of denying the plants nitrogen during flowering.

Hey Wizhigh!! First off I want to compliment you on the thread and the comparison's with the Gas Lamp routine. I have been using the Gas Lamp Routine now for the 3 veg cycles and will definitely continue to use it on future grows, it just makes sense saving money, equal growth, and it seemed to me like healthier happier plants overall :) I'm curios now that you are flowering the 2....have you noticed any differences between the 18/6 plant and the GLR plant when you flipped them to flowering. Did one flower faster? or is one outperforming bud development than the other? I definitely can see the differences in the secondary branching in the GLR vs the 18/6, very very interesting indeed :) I would love to see comparisons throughout your flower to see if it makes any differences in the final results as well. Cheers and reps to your thread!!!

Here's my current veg tent with GLR
DSC058323.JPG

Hey Icemud. I really appreciate the words. It means alot coming from you since im the one who learned from growers like your self. Makes me really happy inside and lets me know im doing right. Great veg plants by the way reps!:)

I will do periodic updates threw flowering on this thread and others can also share there GLR/18/6-16/8 experiences also. I really cant compare the 2 on which flowered faster etc. firstly because the light schedule is on 10/14. Not sure if that light schedule is responsible for the quick flowering/bud production? Also because one is in a DWC bubble bucket. And hydro has the upper hand as we all know. But I can tell you this, with in the first week they both had nice size flowers on them. Also soon after I made this thread I stripped the lower branches off the DWC plants. Which is another test im running to see which will produce more between more or less branches? This thread was mainly done for veg differences/purposes. So I guess I can do a test for flowering 12/1-10/14 vs 18/6-12/12. What you think? That way it will be a more accurate answer for you!

The ones in DWC are growing in a SOG manner and there in week 2 of flower but look like there in week 4. Im very happy with the results im seeing with the DWC plants.

The plant thats in a 5 gallon bucket with 100% coco is really keeping up with hydro. The main cola looks to be right behind the DWC plants. All branches have nice size bud growth also. What I can tell you is that there both performing very well. As for the light schedule I definitely prefer 10/14 over 12/12.

OFF TOPIC:
Im doing a number of test at once with this current grow. One of which is this new found info I been reading up on with CS (Colloidal Silver). Pure silver ions can keep away pest, algae and dead matter in the res & coco/soil. Plus its claimed to stabilize the plants growth. So far its been working out well in hydro. I will be using it on one of my plants in coco this week. SNS has a CS product called Colloidal Shield at 20 PPM which his pure silver. Im pretty sure its the same as CS that you can buy else were.

I disagree that glr produce's better plants. infact it can cause hermies. Ive ran a small grow on glr since january and ive had plants hermie and there is no difference in how quick my plants show flower on flip. My plants with glr are stretchier also. i just say what i experience. It doesnt save u money if u are lighting up 1000w ballasts twice per day, it costs roughly the same. maybe very slightly cheaper but not much at all with the equipment im using. I am finishing my last glr grow around december 10th and i wont go back to it.

If it works for u great, i wont argue that but for me 18/6 works every single time and i never have hermies or funny growing plants using that method so i'll stick with that. i have lots of experience growing so i compare glr with thousands and thousands of hours grow time under regular 18/6.

To any new grower i recommend u learn the basic proven ways to grow as simple as possible and as u progress maybe try this technique along with other techniques. But have something to compare it to like for like first.

That's really thrown me now... Thanks cult for adding ur own findings.
I do have exp to compare with...... But I'm a one plant man now and now I'm thinking twice about GLR
I was not planning on GLR to be a money saver more that I'd read a plant basically vegges better on GLR
Il be having an 8 week veg time. That's a lot of training and effort to do to end up with a bad hermi after flip
GLR or 18/6....... Now I'm really stumped

im sure there are alot of people who will tell u different. im sure most (with absolute respect when i say this) havent grown any where the number of plants i am growing this round never mind what ive grown in the last 11 years. I have 14 plants under glr now and ive had 1 smooth grow using that light cycle (thats 1 space of 11, 8 of the spaces have 40-200plants - average around 90). i have used the same clones from the same mother and this is the 4th grow. Ive had my first hermies in about 6 years using this technique. I am an open minded grower and i like to try new things away from my main grows and for me this will not be a technique i implement. i dont see any fantastic plants from it from most growers, ive seen a few but the plants i have grown and seen dont convince me.

everyone has there own preferences im just stating mine. find a wispy or bad plant in my gallery, thats not me being egotistical, its me saying 18-6 works. In flower the glr is the same as 18/6 if they dont hermie! U should be seeing signs of flower 5-14 days on flip regardless. 8 week veg in a large pot well trained will give u any result ur environment will allow the max for.

Thanks cultivator. Iv taken ur advice in. And I may now go with the regular 18/6 how I usually would.
With u a hermie in a small set isn't a big thing as uv got so much going on.... For me it could be disastrous. Obviously it can happen to any plant but I don't wana encourage it.

Interesting, I had hermie issues with my first grow but I also had significant heat/humidity issues which I hope will be solved with my new evaporative cool mist humidifier. I still plan to use GLR on my next grow, since it is a significant energy saver over 18/6, but I will be on the lookout for hermies. BTW, some growers that use HID and GLR use a single CFL for the one hour of light between 5.5 hours of darkness to avoid that very issue with the HID ballasts. Not a lot of light is needed to interrupt the dark cycle.

This technique is very interesting and it sound very promising and it all makes a lot of sense.
I'm sold on it, so I'll start implementing tonight.
Given that it's almost summer here, temps are getting really high and I need to run some cooling system, saving on lightning (thus putting out less heat) will allow me to run a cooling system for air and water, which is very good.
I won't be able to compare as I don't have enough space to run a side by side and things always change from one cycle to the next, but I'm confident that yield and quality will improve.
I'm doing a journal so any improvements will be posted there.

Interesting, I had hermie issues with my first grow but I also had significant heat/humidity issues which I hope will be solved with my new evaporative cool mist humidifier. I still plan to use GLR on my next grow, since it is a significant energy saver over 18/6, but I will be on the lookout for hermies. BTW, some growers that use HID and GLR use a single CFL for the one hour of light between 5.5 hours of darkness to avoid that very issue with the HID ballasts. Not a lot of light is needed to interrupt the dark cycle.
Hey ColoradoHigh, I use Glr in veg and have a 4 foot long 4 bulb T5 for light, the room is a little larger in width and barely long enough for fixture. Ive noticed on a Berry Bomb seed plant I vegged like 2 months GLR and finally stuck in flower to sex since it didnt show in veg and in 5 days I saw a pistil.I put her back in glr veg. The older branch tips not directly under light didnt seem to totally revert back as much as new growth getting good light.Its not like buds growing but more heavy preflowered. Its just a thought to say maybe one cfl bulb breaking the light cycle for a HID veg grow might not provide enough "light coverage" and in a bigger spot could very well cause herms more like light leaks can. I think cfl will be better on bulb and ballast but I would try and run enough of them during that hour to get good enough light coverage to keep flowering hormones in check equal all over.Ive started seeds and rooted clones under it and attempted moms which I stopped because the schedule does keep them on edge and when not taken care of good,like my moms were, had them stressed to start trying to flower too much. Now I clone from plants at flip just as I pull some and that helps keep my plant numbers at the limit better.
I am just saying for me in my little perpetual grow GLR works

That's a good point to know closetorganic regarding CFL use with GLR and HID lighting. When I was using GLR, since I used CFLs exclusively for the entire grow, all 400+ watts/25,000+ lumens came on during the one hour light cycle. I'm still not sure if GLR was the cause of half of my ladies starting to hermie, all I know is once I reduced the light/heat levels they stopped producing stamens and are now happy well-adjusted ladies nearing harvest.

so i have my plants on 12/12 right now would it be ok to go to 10/14 then?
I'd do it a bit more gradually, how long have you been in flower?
try going 11/13 for a week, then 10.5/13.5 for another week, and then go down to 10/14. If you're close to finish there might be no point in diminishing the light exposure.

PS. GLR wouldnt be great for sativa dominate plants. Since they grow thin and tall[/QUOTE]

You know, I hadn't thought about this, currently I'm growing Aurora Indica and AK-48, a hybrid yet sativa dominant. I switched to GLR a few weeks ago while the plants were still small. The Aurora grew beautiful, very bushy, even on all sides, great color, just great. The AK-48, however, are both growing thin and tall and I couldn't explain it. The only reasonable explanation I had was that because the Aurora was always taller (it just germinated first and it grew faster under 18/6 than the others) then the lights were always too far so they stretched too fast, they look really scrawny and pathetic, to be honest.

I was looking forward to save the electricity but thank Jebus it's only like $6 a month I was saving, so fuck it. I'm going back to normal 18/6.

Your post has been enlightening, sir. My hat is off to you.

Very interesting information. If it indeed works, a big pro is the heat issue reduction and the introduction of an unusual electricity usage pattern for purposes of stealth growing.

Back
Top Bottom