GreeenFingers - Mr Nice - NL5 x Afghan - DWC - SCROG

UPDATE:

DAY 14

Both girls had their reservoirs changed today for the start of week 3 :)

Nirvana was added to the nutrient solution today, this product is a blend of, Humic and Fulvic Acids, Earthworm castings, seaweed extract (Laminaria saccharina), along with the ingredient that isn't often mentioned, Triacontanol, which is an extract taken from alfalfa meal and beeswax which enhances photosynthesis and plant metabolism.
Its N-P-K ratio is 0-0-1

The total combination of nutrients now are;

Connoisseur A + B
Cal / Mag
Big Bud
Bud Candy
Nirvana

PH has been reset to 5.7 after climbing to 6.1

EC has been reset to 2.0 after dropping to 1.6

For all you TDS users thats, 1000 ppm on the .5 scale and 1400ppm on the .7 scale

Day temperature: 27 C ( 80.6 f )
Night Temperature: 16 C ( 60.8 f )

Day RH: 40%
Night RH: 60%

Bud sites are appearing everywhere :) I had to remove a few more branches and leaves as the space is being filled in very rapidly I need to allow room for air circulation.

Considering this strain is such a high % Indica there will be a propensity for mould, this makes the need for adequate air movement and extraction essential.

I am also considering getting a heater and thermostat for night time to raise the temperature to 20 C ( 68 f ) from 16 C ( 60.8 f ) as this should also reduce the risk of mould by lowering the chance of condensation after lights out :)

Both girls have stretched about 30cm ( 12 in ) through the SCROG since the flip. The plants have now doubled in height and slowing, I would now consider the stretch almost finished aside from height gained from cola development.

I think that's enough of me babbling on ha ha time for some pictures :)

Today's selection of Nutrients

f156.JPG

The root system is really starting to fill the bucket, with really vigorous thick and fine haired roots, the brown roots at the base of the net pot are purely caused by nutrients staining as that part dries out.

f233.JPG

Some glamour shots of the newly forming colas :)

f423.JPG

f520.JPG

f325.JPG

Hope you all enjoyed this update :thumb:

GreenFingers

Wow GreenFingers what a professionally run set up and beautiful healthy plants

I've read through your entire journal and have learned so much here that I haven't read anywhere else.

Keep up the informative posts

I'll be pulling up a seat

:bravo:

Looking great mate!:yummy:

A lil' late to the party...butt...I'm in...WoW!...GF, Yer' setup is impressing the hell out of this Ole' hillbilly...I'm here till the fat lady sings...Cheerz...h00k...oh...btw did one strawberry blue last year...very nice strain and a distinctive strawberry aroma after curing

Seeing that gandalfs beard of roots makes me miss something specific about how I grew in hydro. The roots would end up pearly white because of my layered filtering pots. After harvest I would harvest the roots soak them in water for 24 hours in the fridge then dry them out completely. I would then fry them and season them with a mild cajun spice mix and during footy games they would last a whole 5 minutes. None of my mates can figure out what it is. They though they were potatoe shoe string fries for the longest time until one caught on. Thanks for taking me back and maybe even igniting a want and need for that tasty treat. Shit I might just run one bucket for shits and giggle. I have about 50 air stones, 5 big pumps, and more 5 gallon buckets that I could poke a stick at... hmmmmmmm:hmmmm:

Thanks for the complements jayne c , Cola Monster , BennyHill and premedgrow the girls are flattered and I am too :thanks:

A lil' late to the party...butt...I'm in...WoW!...GF, Yer' setup is impressing the hell out of this Ole' hillbilly...I'm here till the fat lady sings...Cheerz...h00k...oh...btw did one strawberry blue last year...very nice strain and a distinctive strawberry aroma after curing

Hey dr.h00k better late than never ha ha there's lots more action and adventure yet to happen :)

Great to have you joining in for the ride, I'm sure we can squeeze you in somewhere :)

That's great news about the Strawberry Blue, I'm really looking forward to growing her out, she is showing very favourable characteristics. I'm hoping for great things even though she was a freebie from a few years ago ha ha

Seeing that gandalfs beard of roots makes me miss something specific about how I grew in hydro. The roots would end up pearly white because of my layered filtering pots. After harvest I would harvest the roots soak them in water for 24 hours in the fridge then dry them out completely. I would then fry them and season them with a mild cajun spice mix and during footy games they would last a whole 5 minutes. None of my mates can figure out what it is. They though they were potatoe shoe string fries for the longest time until one caught on. Thanks for taking me back and maybe even igniting a want and need for that tasty treat. Shit I might just run one bucket for shits and giggle. I have about 50 air stones, 5 big pumps, and more 5 gallon buckets that I could poke a stick at... hmmmmmmm:hmmmm:

Hey Growlow

That actually sounds really interesting, I've never heard of anybody eating the roots before ha ha I've always just thrown mine out not even considering a use for them. I do like the idea of utilising as much of the plants as possible.

Is there actually any flavour to them at all without the seasoning? I wonder what the nutritional value of the roots would be? Knowing cannabis, its probably great for you ha ha people also find great benefit to a range of medical conditions by simply juicing cannabis leaves.

You should definitely give it a shot again if you have the space to spare, You have inspired my to try frying a few cleaned roots at the end of this harvest. I'll be sure to let you know what I think :)

GreenFingers

UPDATE:

DAY 20

Hey everybody :)

I do apologise for the lack of recent updates, I have been extremely busy this past week and just haven't been able to find the time to update.

Being so busy, I was also not able to spend as much time with the plants as I would have liked, the water level ended up getting dangerously low one of the days with some wild PH and EC swings which I will list below.

The PH swung extremely high one day, locking out Potassium ( K ) this caused leaf edges to begin curling inwards.

The PH swung extremely low another day, locking out calcium, this caused a subtle spotting on some of the leaves.

At the beginning of the week the girls were set to;

EC 2.0
PH 5.7

The water level dropped dramatically by the middle of the week ( leaf edges begin curling ) resulting in;

EC 2.0
PH 7.2

Water levels were raised and topped back up with nutrients to;

EC 2.0
PH 5.7

More days passed by without being able to monitor the girls ( Early signs of calcium deficiency showing ) stats were checked again showing;

EC 1.7
PH 5.1

I knew the girls needed a reservoir change with all this unusual behaviour but the time to do so was not available so I once again tried to fix it, this time I think I got it right :)

Nirvana was cut from the Mix considering that was the newest thing to be added and extra CalMag was added in its place.

Since doing this the plants have uncurled their leaves and more lushness has returned to the foliage. The colas have also gotten visibly fatter in the space of 1 day after correction.

Here is what I think might have happened;

Either these plants are just serious calcium hogs and needed their ratio of CalMag raised

/or/

The Nirvana increases photosynthesis, meaning that the plants actually required more nutrients than they were being given.

Either way, the EC is now 2.1 without the Nirvana and they seem to be loving it :) I will trial a re-introduction of Nirvana soon when I am more available to regularly monitor the system :)

Anyway I've been rambling on for ages so its picture time ha ha

These pictures are from day 20, before the EC and PH were fixed. It is now day 22 and the plants look an awful lot better so stay tuned to see the improvements :)

DSC_060917.JPG

DSC_060520.JPG

Hope you all enjoyed this one :thumb:

GreenFingers

Thanks for the complements jayne c , Cola Monster , BennyHill and premedgrow the girls are flattered and I am too :thanks:

Hey dr.h00k better late than never ha ha there's lots more action and adventure yet to happen :)

Great to have you joining in for the ride, I'm sure we can squeeze you in somewhere :)

That's great news about the Strawberry Blue, I'm really looking forward to growing her out, she is showing very favourable characteristics. I'm hoping for great things even though she was a freebie from a few years ago ha ha

Hey Growlow

That actually sounds really interesting, I've never heard of anybody eating the roots before ha ha I've always just thrown mine out not even considering a use for them. I do like the idea of utilising as much of the plants as possible.

Is there actually any flavour to them at all without the seasoning? I wonder what the nutritional value of the roots would be? Knowing cannabis, its probably great for you ha ha people also find great benefit to a range of medical conditions by simply juicing cannabis leaves.

You should definitely give it a shot again if you have the space to spare, You have inspired my to try frying a few cleaned roots at the end of this harvest. I'll be sure to let you know what I think :)

GreenFingers

I'd also be interested to know more about nutritional value of the roots. I'm growing in soil so wouldn't be doing myself but just interested.

Looking good GF!

Hey LEDBud

That's exactly what I've been doing ha ha good guess :)

Its all done now, I spent over 4 hours with the girls trimming shaping and weaving, keep an eye out for the update coming soon.

GreenFingers

Just read up to date and burnt my dinner! :rofl:

Fantastic canopy! Really top drawer!:thumb:

When you refer to 'weaving', do you actually mean weaving in and out of the screen?

Always loved your grows and they just keep setting the standard higher :adore:

:passitleft: :high-five:

Just read up to date and burnt my dinner! :rofl:

Fantastic canopy! Really top drawer!:thumb:

When you refer to 'weaving', do you actually mean weaving in and out of the screen?

Always loved your grows and they just keep setting the standard higher :adore:
:passitleft: :high-five:

Hey ajagunle

Great to have you joining in :)

Wow you actually read the entire thing, I really appreciate it, that's quite a bit of writing to get through ha ha I do have some lengthy updates, I hope you enjoyed it :) sorry about your dinner though

When I said it then I actually did not mean it literally. With these girls I knew they they were heavy Indica leaning and not going to stretch that much, they little over doubled their height, what I actually did was allow the tops to grow through the squares and then from the underside I would pull it back down through the screen and move it to a square that is further away, this way I was able to keep an even canopy. I hope that makes sense ha ha

If I was growing a heavy leaning Sativa I would most certainly actually weave the plant through the SCROG, when fully woven I would flip to 12/12 and all the little side shoots will become the tops and they won't stretch near as much compared to a top growing directly through the screen.

I hope this answered your question

I am humbled by your appreciation, Just trying to learn and improve, building from the mistakes of every grow, it gets a little bit better each time round :)

GreenFingers

UPDATE:

DAY 23

Just a quick picture update showing the girls after bouncing back, growth in the past few days has been crazy, I had to remove 2 more tops to allow more breathing room along with having to remove another few handfulls of leaves. The plants just keep filling back up the space every few days.

The slightly droopy leaves in the pictures is because of the removal of so many leaves it messes with the osmosis of the plant until the wounds have sealed back over, they will be bright and perky by morning time :)

Well its six in the morning where I am so its time for bed ha ha

Enjoy some lights out pictures from today :)

DSC_065213.JPG

DSC_06597.JPG

DSC_066015.JPG

DSC_06619.JPG

Hope you all enjoyed this one :thumb:

GreenFingers

UPDATE:

DAY 25

Hey everybody :byebye:

Everything is still going well, the girls finally got a much needed reservoir change today, the roots are growing insanely big, there is barely enough room in the buckets to fit the PH and EC meter in to take measurements.

Nutrients added today were;

Connoisseur A + B
Big Bud
CalMag
Bud Candy
Voodoo Juice
SensiZym

EC has been set to 2.2

For all you TDS users that's 1100 ppm on the .5 scale and 1540 ppm on the .7 scale :)

Enjoy some pictures from the garden today :)

DSC_066811.JPG

DSC_066910.JPG

GreenFingers

Back
Top Bottom