Greetings From Newfoundland!

Fogoguy

I just stumbled upon this awesome forum. My wife and I are Canadian, and once recreational pot became legal in our country on Oct 17th we decided to hop on the bandwagon! I have never partaken before, but the Missus is an old pro from way back when. (35 years ago...so yeah, actually we're both newbies!) We placed a few orders from the Gov't of Newfoundland's online store on the day it became legal, and are still awaiting shipment; should be here tomorrow. We ended up buying a few different strains, (20% THC indica and sativa) and a variety of oils too.

We decided that we would probably be better off vaping than smoking, so after a ton of online research we decided on a brand of vaporizer that is very popular here in Canada, the Utillian 420. It too should be arriving in thist week's mail. Also on the way to our mailbox is a nice little grinder, and a fancy "Zeus Armor" case to store all of our stuff in.

As the years creep up on us, we are having some health issues, and seemingly too many aches and pains to count, so we're also interested in experimenting with the supposed powers of CBD. I have suffered for years from a serious work-related spinal injury which has me bedridden much of the time. I also suffer from the pain of PMR, (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) and severe RLS. (restless legs syndrome) So if there is a chance that I can get some amount of relief with CBD, I just may be able to reduce my daily doses of some of my nasty prescriptions. (stuff like oxycodone, codeine, prednisone, etc.) And the other reason I have decided to try using cannabis is for my insomnia that I have experienced almost nightly ever since my spinal injury 14 years ago.

So, as this is all so new for us, we will happily accept any/all offers of support/advice and guidance, as we really have no clue what we are doing yet! I am sure that we will have a ton of questions about vaping, and other things, in the coming days, so hopefully we won't drive all of you crazy!

Thanks,
Glen

Welcome to the 420 Magazine Forum! Pretty great place to find almost anything cannabis. I am a fellow Canuck from BC. Lots of us kicking around.

I would follow a few grow journals, particularly ones that are similar to what you plan on doing, and start your own grow journal for us to follow along.

There are also a ton of threads on all subjects so be sure to browse the forum.

cheers friend,,

heya from the other side,, the dark side,, ha

sounds like we have some similar issues,, aches and pains,,

research,, read, ask q's,, dunna be shy

but the leg work is yours,,

so much to learn

Hi and eh.... Welcome to 420 Magazine
You have a few canucks hanging out already.
Join the fun.
You'll see a link in my signature "links for new members" lots of good how-to 's

Hmmm, we're STILL awaiting shipment of various oils, dried flower and the vaporizer, however one shipment of dried has arrived. (it looks/smells awesome, but haven't smoked any yet) I hate waiting for stuff to arrive by Canada Post. It's especially frustrating when you live in the middle of nowhere, in our case a very remote island situated a one-hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland.

It seems that our Utillian 420 vaporizer may be lost! It apparently left Toronto over a week ago, and the provided tracking number doesn't show any updates since that time. Hopefully it will eventually find its way to us, but I think we may have to reorder. And as for the cannabis that we purchased through the Newfoundland govt's online store, only one of four orders has arrived. A second parcel arrived in St. John's yesterday, so we just might see that one in tomorrow's mail. (fingers crossed!)

The first two orders that we placed on the day it became legal (Oct 17th) are still no-shows, and apparently they were somehow "lost" before they even got shipped out! We've been told by the Newfoundland Liquor Corp, as well as the Cannabis producer in New Brunswick, that the online store was having all sorts of problems on opening day, resulting in many of the early orders being erased. It remains unclear whether this mess will ever get sorted out... more likely we will have to re-order.

Glen

Bummer, seems there are quite a few bumps in the road that need to get ironed out.

I ordered some from the BC online web page last week. Parcel notification arrived but there are rotating strikes going on so I haven’t been able to pick it up, hopefully tomorrow.

Once things settle down it will all be super slick and easy. Besides growing my own, I also ordered from an online dispensary and had great success over many orders of top quality bud. I am sure we will get there eventually.

Good luck with the rest of your order. It will be like Christmas when it all arrives lol

Bummer, seems there are quite a few bumps in the road that need to get ironed out.

I ordered some from the BC online web page last week. Parcel notification arrived but there are rotating strikes going on so I haven’t been able to pick it up, hopefully tomorrow.

Once things settle down it will all be super slick and easy. Besides growing my own, I also ordered from an online dispensary and had great success over many orders of top quality bud. I am sure we will get there eventually.

Good luck with the rest of your order. It will be like Christmas when it all arrives lol

Hi UrbanAchiever, yeah you've got it right about how it will feel like Christmas! No one really expected this big new legalization venture to be without its share of problems at the start, but it can be a bit frustrating. I thought for sure the oil would arrive today, as it had made it as far as our province's capital (St. John's, about 300 miles from us) a couple days ago. I'm pretty certain we'll see it in the morning, and if not, I just might take up drinking!

As for the two initial lost orders placed on the 17th, we received word today that they "will have it all straightened out very soon". And of course our much-anticipated Utillian 420 vaporizer is still sitting somewhere in the Toronto area a full 11 days after it was sent out the door. And the Zeus Armor case has not even left the Toronto store yet, a full week after ordering it.

So even though it seems like nothing is going according to plan, we must be patient. While waiting on everything to show up I've been doing a ton of research, with special thanks to the always helpful members of this fine forum, and of course Mr Google.

Glen

Wow. Brutal start for some. Thankfully I started growing my own last summer and have some of my spring harvest still.

Canada Posts rotating strike caused a few days delay in my first order but I picked it up today. Dried flower picked up at a Shoppers Drug Mart lol.

Up Cannabis brand, strains named after tragically hip songs, Meridian and Gems

Greetings from Ottawa, fellow Newfoundlander! I’m from the Avalon originally! My wife suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis so I know Prednisone and biologics all too well. I’m going to grow a CBDream for her in the spring.

Are you planning to grow or just partake for now? You may find these forums strongly encourage growing your own! ;)

Greetings from Ottawa, fellow Newfoundlander! I’m from the Avalon originally! My wife suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis so I know Prednisone and biologics all too well. I’m going to grow a CBDream for her in the spring.

Are you planning to grow or just partake for now? You may find these forums strongly encourage growing your own! ;)
Thanks for the kind greeting, my friend and fellow Newfoundlander! I haven't decided yet if I will soon start growing. Our tiny, ancient, traditional Newfoundland "saltbox-style" house is not at all well-suited to growing... a major lack of any extra space at all, with undersized rooms, no cellar, and an almost complete lack of closet space even... but yeah, I do still have my thinking cap on!

Glen

Thanks for the kind greeting, my friend and fellow Newfoundlander! I haven't decided yet if I will soon start growing. Our tiny, ancient, traditional Newfoundland "saltbox-style" house is not at all well-suited to growing... a major lack of any extra space at all, with undersized rooms, no cellar, and an almost complete lack of closet space even... but yeah, I do still have my thinking cap on!

Glen

That’s wild that you live in a salt box house! My great grandmother lived in hers until her death in the mid 80s and I spent a lot of time visiting when I was a kid, so I can imagine the challenges. I’ve never been to Fogo, but I assume you get the same RDF as pretty much everywhere else in Newfoundland - maybe more based on your location and it being an island. I wonder though if maybe a greenhouse grow would be an option? I believe @Blew Hiller does year round greenhouse growing in Maine, so maybe pop into his grow journal and see what he’s up to if it strikes your fancy. You could also try a summer grow with the most mold resistant and earliest finishing strains you can find, something like Frisian Dew for example.

Either way this site is full of information about strains and people’s medical and recreational experiences with them, so you’ll pick up a ton of information whether you grow or not.

That’s wild that you live in a salt box house! My great grandmother lived in hers until her death in the mid 80s and I spent a lot of time visiting when I was a kid, so I can imagine the challenges. I’ve never been to Fogo, but I assume you get the same RDF as pretty much everywhere else in Newfoundland - maybe more based on your location and it being an island. I wonder though if maybe a greenhouse grow would be an option? I believe @Blew Hiller does year round greenhouse growing in Maine, so maybe pop into his grow journal and see what he’s up to if it strikes your fancy. You could also try a summer grow with the most mold resistant and earliest finishing strains you can find, something like Frisian Dew for example.

Either way this site is full of information about strains and people’s medical and recreational experiences with them, so you’ll pick up a ton of information whether you grow or not.

We've lived here in NL for the past 11 years, and yet I had to google "RDF", HaHa! Anyway, we get very little fog, only a few days annually. Our little island paradise actually has quite a temperate climate, in fact it is the warmest/dryest region of the province... which is kinda wierd when you consider our northern latitude, and sitting right smack-dab in the mighty North Atlantic. Winter comes late here; we have experienced just one White Christmas in the past 11 years that we've lived here. But when the snow does finally arrive in our neck of the woods, (usually by mid to late February) it can sometimes be downright brutal. Two winters ago we received 250+ cm (100 inches!) of snow in just 48 hours, with winds of 130+ km/hour, I kid you not! Residents were able to walk right onto the roof peaks. But summers here are just gorgeous... lots of heat and sunshine, temps up into the 30's C.

Yes, our humble little 1,200 sq/ft abode is kinda tight, but we are planning to construct a decent-sized (18'x30') storage shed next summer. It will be mainly for storage and to house our toys, (motorcycles) but it would be pretty cool to make at least a small grow area in there.

Here's a pic of the interior of our 120-year-old oceanfront "salt box" home, and a couple more showing the views from our front windows.

Glen

house9.JPG

DSC05199b2500_1280x1280.jpg

DSC00125a_1280x1280.jpg

Beautiful shots! I did 25 winters on the Avalon so I know all about Newfoundland blizzards. People up here have no real conception of the differences between eastern Ontario and Newfoundland winters. It’s an entirely different beast. You’re a mainlander originally then I take it? What made you pick Fogo? I’ve spent a little time in Newfoundland’s picturesque outports myself - the remoteness is good for a while, but I’ve grown so used to the amenities of a major city that I’m not sure I’d be able to dial it down like that in my daily life. Maybe later in life. I’ve strongly considered moving back to St. John’s, which would be a start.

You could do a tent within your shed, you’d just need to prepare for regulating your environment - getting the environment factors (temperature and humidity) right is half the battle.

Back
Top Bottom