Grow room design

cryinshame

Hey everyone, I am a patient and I am in the planning phases of my operation as we speak. I have a 8x24 foot space available in a wood constructed basement(2x6 on 16c with treated plywood as the exterior wall)with a concrete slab. this is a beautiful basement as it is easy to control humidity as the wood is a good mix with the concrete slab. I live a northern climate in the states. I am having a hard time finding anybody that is on the same page with me as far as construction and planning of a grow room/flower room to include electric circuits,inside wall (drywall,osb,panelling?)and environment control such as ac and humidity control and venting. I am not necessarily concerned with the cost I just want to create a lab type growing environment. I am doing the work myself so I have the luxury to do it right the first time.I still have alot of info and questions but I will wait for response.: If anybody feels they can maybe give me some ideas I would really dig it.

I would look into Closed Environment Agriculture or CEA, aka sealed room, perfect room, closed. Sounds like what your looking for. Do some searches on those terms.

first off, no drywall moist areas premote mold. i have not had the chance to build my dream room but i think it should be built say like a bathroom or kitchen. if money is no object, I think cerramic tile white flat color and a drain in the floor would be awsome. but a exshaust fan or fans would be a must. also I would put power in the ceiling or as high as you can get. unless you hard wire lights fans ect. oh yeah make it bigger than you think you want, because its addicting to grow! good luck!

oh yeah! two seperate grow areas seeled from each other for reasons that dont need to be explained

Fishcake,I dont think I want to mess with tile, but what would be your alternate options as far as inside walls.I am going to use 2x4 construction on 16c using r 13 insulation. How about green board that is used in bathrooms. It is designed for humid environments. Or panelling or osb/I am going to cover the walls with mylar or some other reflecting material after paint anyway/but I am worried about chemical leaching?The rooms will have 2 outside walls.

High cryinshame, and welcome to 420 :thumb:

There are mold resistant drywall products, and paints. Green board never was very good, and is being phased out by better stuff.

Boric acid sprays on the framing, before it gets covered with whatever, is helpful for bug and mold control.

Put in more electrical outlets than you think you need. Depending on your lighting, you may want some to be 240v.

Ventilate for the worst case scenario.

Check out some of DocBud's threads. He built a space with a lot of features you may like, and he's a nut about controlling the grow room environment ;)

:goodluck:

Fishcake,I dont think I want to mess with tile, but what would be your alternate options as far as inside walls.I am going to use 2x4 construction on 16c using r 13 insulation. How about green board that is used in bathrooms. It is designed for humid environments. Or panelling or osb/I am going to cover the walls with mylar or some other reflecting material after paint anyway/but I am worried about chemical leaching?The rooms will have 2 outside walls.

greenboard is moister resistant but will still mold if it gets wet. plywood covered with frp :plastic laminate:would be my next choice. a marine grade plywood or nvo thats what they use too make street signs out of. oh yeah frp is what they use in resturant kitchens. osb almost rots at the sight of water. this is what I would make mine out of. hell im just growin in a closet, not doin to bad either. just throwin ideas up.:goodluck: if you go with flat white paint you wont need mylar.

I've been looking at Durock for walls of my next closet. Maybe even floor sloped to a drain.

Prairie
durock is areal good choice ive been a carpenter for 26 years well lets say a drywall hanger and durockwill last for ever. sure is a pain in the ass to work with,but not much more than plywood. but still a good choice. cant stand the smell, but after its sealed that wont matter. good luck in what ever you choose:peacetwo:

dens shield is still just fancy drywall as soon as you expose araw or cut edge water will wick in if it has the chance

High PrairiePoet, you might want to check out Denshield. I have not used the new durock, but the old stuff was not a joy to work with.

I think we are on the same page. right on bro:thumb:

CiS,
The suggestion of using something like Bora-Care on the outer wall framing/walls is a good suggestion. Boric acid based, it will penetrate and seal and protect.

I don't understand the plywood outer walls...did I misread that?
Do they really make basement outerwalls from plywood?

Regarding electricity, more is better.
What is the service to the house, and how much is used for non-grow stuff?
In the grow area, bring in 120/240 and install a sub-panel with main breaker and branch breakers to feed the individual circuits.

Size your filters and duct based on worse case....and whatever the airflow your fan will move at least double the duct/filter size=less resistance=less noise=more airflow.

Think redundent so that a single failure is an inconvenience, not a disaster.
2 400-600w instead of 1 1000w.
2 smaller exhaust fans instead of 1 big one etc.

Have controls so that if your fans fail or your temps get too high then the lights shut down (don't ask how I learned that one)

Buy your stuff from multiple sources.
Tell no one.

Good luck.

hard backerboard or durock still would be best, but it is not easyto get clean cuts.that said Ithink you could put a 12or16 inch piece around the parimeter this would stop the chance of water wicking up into any other product like greenboard.this way electrical and vent cut outs would be much easier to cut proper. with out power tools like askill saw and or a jig saw that almost be ruined by the durock trying to make acurate cuts. thinking about this last night. after covering the joints with compound i like the FRP over the top of the durock and or drywall.this would give everything a nice finished look that would be reflective and be very easy to clean. remember neat cuts means little chance of light penatraiting in or out. what ever you choose keep all your fingers and enjoy:goodluck:

Hello my friend, Yeah in these parts we are in over 500' of sand so home builders use a "wood basement" approach to building. It is awesome as humidity levels stay fairly normal without mechanical adjustment. 4" slab of concrete is the cement in the house. 2x6 on 16c with marine grade plywood as exterior wall covered with tar to the ground level, and than rapped with black visquene,than backfilled.I just thru that in there hoping to get some feed back. I have been looking into sealed room approach. I think I like it. If I can control temp/humidity/co2 along with scrubbers and filters I think I can eliminate any chance of contamination.

Yo Bro, What is frp for a wall board?

its a plastic panel. fiber resin panel hence FRP not unlike tub or shower surounds they use it in comercial kitchens and bathrooms, it s easy to work with and can be cleaned with almos any household cleaning product. you can find it at home depot or anyother box store. it comes in different colors, but a white or ivory would eliminate the need for mylar that can get so dirty after time it must be replaced. just suggesting afew options. hope this helps:peacetwo:

Yo Bro, What is frp for a wall board?

I JUSTREAD YOUR Q AGAIN its not a wallboard its a paneling applied over top of drywall or other substrate.:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom