GrowinGirl's 1st Grow - Soil Bagseed - Plus Others - 2012

Re: GrowinGirl's 1st Grow - Soil Bagseed (plus others?) 2012

:straightface:

temps above 115F in mid-June - mid-July.

:trance:

And I thought it was hot where I live... Yikes!

Hope you find some nice babies that thrive in heat! I had a friend from Samoa who would go out side here in long sleeves and jackets and stuff... Weirded me out. He said it was cold here!

I guess its all relative.. You must have like +5 fire resistance or something.

We have been lucky the past 2 summers and haven't hit 119F or had a week of 116F. But it can happen. When I had a house and garden I had to give up entirely on sweet corn, and tomatoes became a serious challenge (they cook right on the vine). Romas did save the day, FWIW, lol.

High GrowinGirl,

how long ago did you plant the seed? if you put it straight into soil it can take 7 - 10 days to sprout out, hope your package shows up, it could take 7 - 11 days for a package to show up from the UK. I got a letter from the UK about 2 months ago and it showed up here in my neck of Cali in I think it was 7 days.

Well I'm Subbed.

:peacetwo:

:straightface:

temps above 115F in mid-June - mid-July.

:trance:

And I thought it was hot where I live... Yikes!

Hope you find some nice babies that thrive in heat! I had a friend from Samoa who would go out side here in long sleeves and jackets and stuff... Weirded me out. He said it was cold here!

I guess its all relative.. You must have like +5 fire resistance or something.
I could roll a Nat20 and still fail that check.

Well, wonders never cease. I do believe Little Bagseed has sprouted. But get this: it wasn't in the hole I thought I put it in, it was sitting on the surface of the potting soil about 1 1/2" away, unnoticed. I guess I didn't actually stick it in the hole, lol. Seeds can stick to fingers and fly around and it's the same color as the soil so I missed it.

Well it sprouted a root that is bravely trying to get into the soil a little so I just left it untouched and sprinkled a teensy bit of soil over it so the root doesn't dry out from exposure.

Let the adventure begin!

Well, wonders never cease. I do believe Little Bagseed has sprouted. But get this: it wasn't in the hole I thought I put it in, it was sitting on the surface of the potting soil about 1 1/2" away, unnoticed. I guess I didn't actually stick it in the hole, lol. Seeds can stick to fingers and fly around and it's the same color as the soil so I missed it.

Well it sprouted a root that is bravely trying to get into the soil a little so I just left it untouched and sprinkled a teensy bit of soil over it so the root doesn't dry out from exposure.

Let the adventure begin!

Prolly floated out last time you watered it.

This AM I noticed the cotyledons were up but the seed coat was trapping them in its grip, so I very gently dislodged one half of it. The stem is very pale green. When I get home I sure hope those cotyledons have spread and are greening up........

I took a pic. You can't really tell it from the perlite though, it's so pale, lol.

Little_Bagseed_-_4-17-12.jpg

Little Bagseed has been born! I gently removed the remaining seed hull from the cotyledons and they are greening up. I've got it about 2" from my fluor light (cool blue?) and I can just barely see the first two tiny true leaves developing.

Oh, and my seed order arrived from the UK today, only took 8 days from when they shipped - yay!!!

Gonna wait a few more days before starting another seed - I want to make sure I have the seedling thing down ok.

ETA: This little girl's stem seems a nice purple! I am liking her already (she's too young to have any deficiencies as she is still living entirely off her cotyledons).

Little_Bagseed_-_4-17-12.jpg

Little Bagseed has been born! I gently removed the remaining seed hull from the cotyledons and they are greening up. I've got it about 2" from my fluor light (cool blue?) and I can just barely see the first two tiny true leaves developing.

Oh, and my seed order arrived from the UK today, only took 8 days from when they shipped - yay!!!

Gonna wait a few more days before starting another seed - I want to make sure I have the seedling thing down ok.

ETA: This little girl's stem seems a nice purple! I am liking her already (she's too young to have any deficiencies as she is still living entirely off her cotyledons).
YAY! :party:

Grats, mom!

Fluor... looks like an aquarium light from the color, no? Good for vegging 1-2 at a time. If you get the time or the money, or both, and you want to expand, check into T5 High Output(HO) lighting. Pretty cheap and easy to work with. They usually come in Cool Blue 6400K color. Good thing is, .8A and 24w won't run your electric bill sky high, and won't stress your apartment wiring. If yours is like mine, I can just THINK 15Amps and the breaker blows. Swine old wiring....

YAY! :party:

Grats, mom!

Fluor... looks like an aquarium light from the color, no? Good for vegging 1-2 at a time. If you get the time or the money, or both, and you want to expand, check into T5 High Output(HO) lighting. Pretty cheap and easy to work with. They usually come in Cool Blue 6400K color. Good thing is, .8A and 24w won't run your electric bill sky high, and won't stress your apartment wiring. If yours is like mine, I can just THINK 15Amps and the breaker blows. Swine old wiring....

You are correct - it's the aquarium light that came with the secondhand tank. I figure it's fine for seedlings until they are ready to go on the balcony. I was looking at getting an actual T5 fixture at some point, just not yet.

The first set of true leaves are substantially bigger this AM, and pointed skyward instead of hunched over.

I figure it's fine for seedlings until they are ready to go on the balcony. I was looking at getting an actual T5 fixture at some point, just not yet.

High GrowinGirl,

IMO, I would put them outside already, for the sunlight anyways that is, the temps are still to low for a baby seedling to stay outside all night long. But, in nature, they only see the sunlight, this was my theory last year, and I found it to be correct. But I also learned that the lower temps at the night time can stunt the growth. That's why this year, they come back in for the night, or at least I put them somewhere more warm for the night, but they are right back out at 5:30am

GrowinGirl said:
The first set of true leaves are substantially bigger this AM, and pointed skyward instead of hunched over.
She was searching for that light. :thumb:

Oh I will be following this since I think that I am also going to do my first grow in soil but indoors in a growbox. I have a question about the the gremination thing with the paper towel. Sould you sit the the seed in luke warm water for 24hrs then do the paper towel thing then move it to soil?

High GrowinGirl,

IMO, I would put them outside already, for the sunlight anyways that is, the temps are still to low for a baby seedling to stay outside all night long. But, in nature, they only see the sunlight, this was my theory last year, and I found it to be correct. But I also learned that the lower temps at the night time can stunt the growth. That's why this year, they come back in for the night, or at least I put them somewhere more warm for the night, but they are right back out at 5:30am

She was searching for that light. :thumb:

I would have her on the balcony but it isn't getting direct sunlight except for late in the afternoon for 90 minutes maybe. Otherwise it's strong indirect light, and my new tomato plant is a bit stretchy already so I think it's still inadequate.......

Oh I will be following this since I think that I am also going to do my first grow in soil but indoors in a growbox. I have a question about the the gremination thing with the paper towel. Sould you sit the the seed in luke warm water for 24hrs then do the paper towel thing then move it to soil?

In the past when I have germinated other types of seeds (vegetables) I just put them straight into the damp paper towel inside the ziploc bag. I don't see any harm in presoaking for a few hours, though.

Ok after you put it in a ziplock does it matter if it's sitting in a well lit area or not?
Light at the point before germination and you see a root emerge is not important. What is important here is the temperature. In Fahrenheit your temps should be between 75 and 80 degrees. Once the root emerges, make a hole in your medium and place the seed CAREFULLY inside. The emerging root is VERY fragile and can break quite easily. Cover it over, and then place your light over it. For Fluorescent lighting over eight inches away. For HID lighting it should be over two feet away so as not to burn the delicate seedling as it emerges. To test place your hand under the light at the level of the seedlings. If your hand burns under the light, it's too close. Raise the light and try it again until it no longer burns your hand. It should feel only slightly warm.

Ha! Ok I can't wait to get my hands on a seed. I will be experimenting with a no name bagseed just so I can get my regiment down packed before I go after a quality seed. My custom grow box is going to be built next week measurements are being taken now. Thanks for the info & look for my first journal soon. Until then I'll keep folowing this one.

Back
Top Bottom