Haystack's Outdoor Grow

The tops on the two UltraViolence are getting really big. Here is a pic of the longest and shortest tops. I still call them tops because it looks like the whole branch is going to look like one long bud when they are done. But can you really call a branch that long a top? I dunno, I've never had a branch that long and thick before. I'm amazed everyday I look at them. I've had some pretty good outdoor grows in the past, but nothing compares to this one.

Here is the longest top at about 42"

Here is the shortest top at 24". And the pic below it is what the tops are starting to look like from top to bottom. Can I really call them tops or cola's? I really don't know. But I like it a lot.

Very nice. I bet you appreciate the fact you can check on them easily, not to mention chillaxin' with them. I'll be tagging along for the ride cheering you on bud.
Chillaxin is the joy of it all. Especially with a nice beer in one hand and a rolled up bud in the other hand.

The tops on the two UltraViolence are getting really big. Here is a pic of the longest and shortest tops. I still call them tops because it looks like the whole branch is going to look like one long bud when they are done. But can you really call a branch that long a top? I dunno, I've never had a branch that long and thick before. I'm amazed everyday I look at them. I've had some pretty good outdoor grows in the past, but nothing compares to this one.

Here is the longest top at about 42"

Here is the shortest top at 24". And the pic below it is what the tops are starting to look like from top to bottom. Can I really call them tops or cola's? I really don't know. But I like it a lot.

Everything looks healthy, but that bottom pic. Sure looks like the plant is trying to revert back to veg. ? If so, then all is not lost. You will wind up with leafy buds that never really tighten up. Less yield, but not a complete loss. Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing ?? I hope I'm wrong, but the two UV seem to be reverting back to veg. ? I looked back into your journal and in early June, they were flowering, which tells me that at one stage of the veg. period, they didn't receive enough light hours. Because they should be starting to bud starting just about this time. Are the two GG4s just now starting to bloom ? My theory is that when you 1st. transplanted into the big pots, there wasn't enough daylight hours at that time on your deck? I hope you don't think I'm in any way trying to down grade your grow. I'd kill for that balcony deck !!

Everything looks healthy, but that bottom pic. Sure looks like the plant is trying to revert back to veg. ? If so, then all is not lost. You will wind up with leafy buds that never really tighten up. Less yield, but not a complete loss. Anyone else seeing what I'm seeing ?? I hope I'm wrong, but the two UV seem to be reverting back to veg. ? I looked back into your journal and in early June, they were flowering, which tells me that at one stage of the veg. period, they didn't receive enough light hours. Because they should be starting to bud starting just about this time. Are the two GG4s just now starting to bloom ? My theory is that when you 1st. transplanted into the big pots, there wasn't enough daylight hours at that time on your deck? I hope you don't think I'm in any way trying to down grade your grow. I'd kill for that balcony deck !!

You are right. The two UV did go into flower early, especially the shorter one in the black pot. It looks like they will recover. But I'm not sure yet how the buds will turn out. The taller one looks like it will be ok, but the shorter one may be a bit fluffy. I'm hoping for the best, but I won't really know until September comes.

I think the problem was that when they were in the tent, I had them under 18/6 lighting. This is the first time I've started clones indoors and then moved them outside. It seems like 18/6 was a little much. Next year I think I'm going to keep them under 16/8 or even 15/9 I might even go as low as 14/10 lights until the first of June, then put them outside. Hopefully that will solve this issue.

Got my fingers crossed for a good harvest.

You are right. The two UV did go into flower early, especially the shorter one in the black pot. It looks like they will recover. But I'm not sure yet how the buds will turn out. The taller one looks like it will be ok, but the shorter one may be a bit fluffy. I'm hoping for the best, but I won't really know until September comes.

I think the problem was that when they were in the tent, I had them under 18/6 lighting. This is the first time I've started clones indoors and then moved them outside. It seems like 18/6 was a little much. Next year I think I'm going to keep them under 16/8 or even 15/9 I might even go as low as 14/10 lights until the first of June, then put them outside. Hopefully that will solve this issue.

I placed my plants out the first week of may until mid may and most of them started to flower. I was lucky enough that they reverted back to veg super quick. Waiting until June 1st would be perfect as even a plant I placed out may 17th started to flower. Just goes down to individual genetics I suppose because the plant that did not flower was actually placed out the earliest of all, may 7th I believe.

In my opinion, you did it right (using 18/6). I have used 18/6 for a few yrs. now. I used 24/7 before that. But I think that when you set them out on the deck, the daylight hours and the dark hrs. were somewhere around 12/12, and they started blooming. But all we can do now is ride it out i had two plants do that ,last yr., and instead of a lb. per plant, i harvested 10 Zs, from the two. I'm working with a short grow season, so I'm limited in strains.

Next year I think I'm going to keep them under 16/8 or even 15/9 I might even go as low as 14/10 lights.

I started that cycle a few yrs ago after the same preflower issues, but it only happened with certain strains..
I call it boot camp where I start to condition the plants to the natural light cycle by slowing going from 18/6 down to 14/10 the last two weeks in the tent before they get put outside. I also crank my fans to strengthen stems.
It seemed to help my skunk strains from going into preflower out of the tent.

Everything looks great btw!

In my opinion, you did it right (using 18/6). I have used 18/6 for a few yrs. now. I used 24/7 before that. But I think that when you set them out on the deck, the daylight hours and the dark hrs. were somewhere around 12/12, and they started blooming. But all we can do now is ride it out i had two plants do that ,last yr., and instead of a lb. per plant, i harvested 10 Zs, from the two. I'm working with a short grow season, so I'm limited in strains.
You are pretty close. I put three of them outside on the 13th of May. That day there was about 14 hrs of daylight. The small UltraViolence in the pics was put on on about the last week of April when there was about 13.5 hours of daylight. Last year I started my grow on May 15th. But the clones were much smaller last year. I just went to a local dispensary and picked them up. That crop did not flower early. It got beat all to hell by the 100 plus degree days we had last summer, but they flowered normally. Maybe this year started to flower started to flower too early because they were pretty mature when they went outside.

Below is a chart of the hours of daylight in my neck of the woods. I know some get a lot more daylight hours in the peak of summer, but this is all we get here.
Duration of Daylight for 2018

I think next year I won't put them out until June 1st. At least in June the hours of daylight are at least 14.5 hours of daylight. But for now, I just wait and see what happens. If it's good, I'll be happy. If it's not so good I'll learn from this year and do it slightly different next year.

I started that cycle a few yrs ago after the same preflower issues, but it only happened with certain strains..
I call it boot camp where I start to condition the plants to the natural light cycle by slowing going from 18/6 down to 14/10 the last two weeks in the tent before they get put outside. I also crank my fans to strengthen stems.
It seemed to help my skunk strains from going into preflower out of the tent.

Everything looks great btw!
That sounds reasonable. Maybe I'll give that a try next year. I have two tent's to try different lighting to see what happens. But for sure going from 18/6 to 13.5/10.5 in April or 14.5/9.5 in May was too much for them to handle.

When I bought the GG4 clones at the dispensary, I asked them how long they keep the lights on and the guy said that they are on 24/7. Those two seem to be doing just fine. They are just beginning to show signs of budding which is pretty normal.

You are pretty close. I put three of them outside on the 13th of May. That day there was about 14 hrs of daylight. The small UltraViolence in the pics was put on on about the last week of April when there was about 13.5 hours of daylight. Last year I started my grow on May 15th. But the clones were much smaller last year. I just went to a local dispensary and picked them up. That crop did not flower early. It got beat all to hell by the 100 plus degree days we had last summer, but they flowered normally. Maybe this year started to flower started to flower too early because they were pretty mature when they went outside.

Below is a chart of the hours of daylight in my neck of the woods. I know some get a lot more daylight hours in the peak of summer, but this is all we get here.
Duration of Daylight for 2018

I think next year I won't put them out until June 1st. At least in June the hours of daylight are at least 14.5 hours of daylight. But for now, I just wait and see what happens. If it's good, I'll be happy. If it's not so good I'll learn from this year and do it slightly different next year.
Ether way Haystack, I'll be here at harvest time !! I shoot for 1st. of June, but this yr. middle of may. I start my outside grows in Feb. ,because with this short western Ma. grow season, i need to be transplanting 2 ft. high 3 ft. wide bushes on June 1st. .

Ether way Haystack, I'll be here at harvest time !! I shoot for 1st. of June, but this yr. middle of may. I start my outside grows in Feb. ,because with this short western Ma. grow season, i need to be transplanting 2 ft. high 3 ft. wide bushes on June 1st. .
I'm shooting for the first of June next year as well. I just thought I could get a little head start this year like I did last year. I guess it just backfired a little bit with the UV plants. Like you I also started to make my clones back in February this year. It really does help to get them a little more mature before you get them outdoors. I just messed up a little bit with the timing.

I think I'm also going to put mine up on the roof next year. On the first set of pics I posted, you can see that back door that leads into my dining room/Grow room. It's a big 20x15 room and it has a flat top roof. Up there it gets a good 4 hrs more direct sunlight than what I get on the deck. The house next door blocks the first couple of morning light. And of course on the longest days of the year, the sun comes up directly behind their chimney. Then in the afternoon, the roof and the side of the house block the sunlight from the plants you can see in front. So maybe with an additional four hours of sunlight, they will do better. I was going to put them on the roof this year. But after the deadly heat last year, I chickened out and didn't do it. The heat really destroyed a lot of good bud last year and I figured it would really hurt the plants. I thought about putting them up there in June, but those 50 gallon bags are really heavy with the soil in them. To have them on the roof, I'll have to take the empty pots and bags of soil up there and then fill the pots and plant the plants. But I think in the long run it will be better.

I also thought about putting them out on the hillside, but that would be a big hassle, especially with all the deer and other critters running around out there. The only way I could do it is to build a small greenhouse. But that's a whole lot of work. And I'll have to get permits and everything to build it. My neighborhood is full of Permit Patty's and BBQ Becky's around here, so it would be a for sure bust. My neighbors will see the greenhouse and the plants, and probably call the city to make sure it's been fully permitted. They really don't care for us much anyway and they are kind of used to my brother in law telling them to fuck off anyway (literally). A couple years ago, I had choppers flying and hovering over my house on a few occasions looking at my grow. I'm pretty sure it was one of the neighbors that complained. That was before it was totally legal for anyone to grow. But a couple of the guys here had doctors prescriptions to grow. So I'm sure there must be some way for the cops to know we were legal to grow because they never came to my door or raided my house. So next year, up on the roof they'll go. :thumb::theband:

Just to the west of ya and same here...
With the short grow season and unpredictable spring weather, plants gotta have some meat to them when they get put outdoors mid May - June in my area.
This yr I was transplanting mid May in the high 80s & 90s, crazy warm....
These are about the size of mine day of transplant out of boot camp..

I own 286 acre farm, and I would kill to be able to grow like that out my back door! Watering/filling/maintaining large(r) size pots is very time consuming (in my instance).. Your plants look stellar as far as the amount of light, I wouldn’t change a thing IMO.... Seems like a lot more work for four hours more light, when those plants are looking beautiful in current location.

Wait... Did you say you can buy clones at a dispensary?! How awesome is that!!

Just to the west of ya and same here...
With the short grow season and unpredictable spring weather, plants gotta have some meat to them when they get put outdoors mid May - June in my area.
This yr I was transplanting mid May in the high 80s & 90s, crazy warm....
These are about the size of mine day of transplant out of boot camp..

I own 286 acre farm, and I would kill to be able to grow like that out my back door! Watering/filling/maintaining large(r) size pots is very time consuming (in my instance).. Your plants look stellar as far as the amount of light, I wouldn’t change a thing IMO.... Seems like a lot more work for four hours more light, when those plants are looking beautiful in current location.

Wait... Did you say you can buy clones at a dispensary?! How awesome is that!!
That's about the size I normally set out .

I'm shooting for the first of June next year as well. I just thought I could get a little head start this year like I did last year. I guess it just backfired a little bit with the UV plants. Like you I also started to make my clones back in February this year. It really does help to get them a little more mature before you get them outdoors. I just messed up a little bit with the timing.

I think I'm also going to put mine up on the roof next year. On the first set of pics I posted, you can see that back door that leads into my dining room/Grow room. It's a big 20x15 room and it has a flat top roof. Up there it gets a good 4 hrs more direct sunlight than what I get on the deck. The house next door blocks the first couple of morning light. And of course on the longest days of the year, the sun comes up directly behind their chimney. Then in the afternoon, the roof and the side of the house block the sunlight from the plants you can see in front. So maybe with an additional four hours of sunlight, they will do better. I was going to put them on the roof this year. But after the deadly heat last year, I chickened out and didn't do it. The heat really destroyed a lot of good bud last year and I figured it would really hurt the plants. I thought about putting them up there in June, but those 50 gallon bags are really heavy with the soil in them. To have them on the roof, I'll have to take the empty pots and bags of soil up there and then fill the pots and plant the plants. But I think in the long run it will be better.

I also thought about putting them out on the hillside, but that would be a big hassle, especially with all the deer and other critters running around out there. The only way I could do it is to build a small greenhouse. But that's a whole lot of work. And I'll have to get permits and everything to build it. My neighborhood is full of Permit Patty's and BBQ Becky's around here, so it would be a for sure bust. My neighbors will see the greenhouse and the plants, and probably call the city to make sure it's been fully permitted. They really don't care for us much anyway and they are kind of used to my brother in law telling them to fuck off anyway (literally). A couple years ago, I had choppers flying and hovering over my house on a few occasions looking at my grow. I'm pretty sure it was one of the neighbors that complained. That was before it was totally legal for anyone to grow. But a couple of the guys here had doctors prescriptions to grow. So I'm sure there must be some way for the cops to know we were legal to grow because they never came to my door or raided my house. So next year, up on the roof they'll go. :thumb::theband:
I'm too lazy for all that. You making me tired , just thinking about putting all that material on the roof ! Lol !! And one of my most productive crops was grown surrounded by buildings and trees. Like the sun came up at about 10 am and it went behind the buildings at 4 pm. never more than 6 hrs. per day . But if i had a choice, I'd go for the most sun. But, i'm not gonna lift 20 bags of soil upon to the roof !! Ha !!

Roof sounds like it is worth the effort...have someone help you with a 5-gallon bucket train....those extra hours of sunlight are priceless...

Back
Top Bottom