Haystack's Outdoor Grow

I've seen frost in late August. but normal would be 50s daytime and high 30s mid 40s during nights. But rain is the problem here, which brings mold. so a shed or garage, to run plants into during rain, is a big plus.
Frost in Aug? Bummer...

Frost in Aug? Bummer...
Yup !! Frost in August, most likely during a full moon . Marijuana can handle a little frost, with no problem. but this is the point where most growers panic and cut their plants before they are finished. Those guys not only lose yield, but quality, as well !!

Yup !! Frost in August, most likely during a full moon . Marijuana can handle a little frost, with no problem. but this is the point where most growers panic and cut their plants before they are finished. Those guys not only lose yield, but quality, as well !!
Where the heck do you live? It never gets that cold here in August.

Where the heck do you live? It never gets that cold here in August.
It hasn't been that cold here in recent yrs., but I've seen it happen in the past. I live at about 1000 feet, and in a canyon surrounded by 2500 foot mountains. I'm at the base of the highest one, (3,491 foot) Mount. Greylock. The closest point mentioned in this frost/date chart is Stockbridge, ( about 35 miles west ) but we're a colder climate, always. Chart shows Stockbridge as Aug, 28th., as possible 1st. frost date. Very difficult to grow plants to completion here , without a shelter for the rain and slushy days of late sept. Everything has started blooming now. I hope Coast of Maine's advice to use 15 gal bags is enough. Our 1st. time with organics !! but some of the best weed I've ever grown was using cow poop compost and good western Ma. native dirt. But I always gave them a chemical pk booster about this time of yr.. I've got Coast Of Maine's promise, that I don't need it with their super soil.

Attachments

• 7 28 18 outside plants 009.JPG
    7 28 18 outside plants 009.JPG
    934 KB · Views: 77
  • 7 28 18 outside plants 004.JPG
    7 28 18 outside plants 004.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 78
It hasn't been that cold here in recent yrs., but I've seen it happen in the past. I live at about 1000 feet, and in a canyon surrounded by 2500 foot mountains. I'm at the base of the highest one, (3,491 foot) Mount. Greylock. The closest point mentioned in this frost/date chart is Stockbridge, ( about 35 miles west ) but we're a colder climate, always. Chart shows Stockbridge as Aug, 28th., as possible 1st. frost date. Very difficult to grow plants to completion here , without a shelter for the rain and slushy days of late sept. Everything has started blooming now. I hope Coast of Maine's advice to use 15 gal bags is enough. Our 1st. time with organics !! but some of the best weed I've ever grown was using cow poop compost and good western Ma. native dirt. But I always gave them a chemical pk booster about this time of yr.. I've got Coast Of Maine's promise, that I don't need it with their super soil.
Wow, that sounds like a short summer to me. I guess we are spoiled here in Cali. Our summers usually last well into October and some of the warmest days are in October as well.

Your grow looks great right now. I hope your summer holds out long enough to get a great harvest. It looks like a killer harvest if mother nature is kind out your way.

Cool...I thought you were using that green garden tape...
I am also using the green tape. The trellis is just the beginning of controlling these plants. Plus I've already got some green tape in the center of the plant. Trust me, there will be lots more tying up as the fall sets in.

I am also using the green tape. The trellis is just the beginning of controlling these plants. Plus I've already got some green tape in the center of the plant. Trust me, there will be lots more tying up as the fall sets in.
So how does that netting secure to the poles?

So how does that netting secure to the poles?
I secure it with the green tape.
The whole procedure is as follows.
I unroll the plastic trellis and stretch them out on stakes for 30 minutes or so. That makes it so they dont try to roll back up when I move them. The plastic is a pain to unroll and it always wants to roll back up on itself unless you stretch it out for a while. Then I cute them into 4x4 pieces and tie them to poles that are 4 feet apart and secure them with the green tape.

I'm hoping it will be better than just using the green tape.

I secure it with the green tape.
The whole procedure is as follows. I unroll the plastic trellis and stretch them out on stakes for 30 minutes or so. That makes it so they dont try to roll back up when I move them. The plastic is a pain to unroll and it always wants to roll back up on itself unless you stretch it out for a while. Then I cute them into 4x4 pieces and tie them to poles that are 4 feet apart and secure them with the green tape. I'm hoping it will be better than just using the green tape.

I don't have the space for the netting, plus I am still rotating mine every 4-5 days. I am glad I at least have the interior tomato cage because I have all the branches secured to it with pipe cleaners. I got the green tape just in case it turns into a shitshow!

I don't have the space for the netting, plus I am still rotating mine every 4-5 days. I am glad I at least have the interior tomato cage because I have all the branches secured to it with pipe cleaners. I got the green tape just in case it turns into a shitshow!
I think that rotating is a great move on your part. That's always worked for me.

So here is a little update on the outdoor grow. So far everything is going well except for a little yellowing on the leaves. I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe a little nitrogen shortage of from the neem oil I sprayed on them. I think I may have used a bit too much soap. But oh well. They'll recover. I'm also starting to see signs of caterpillars. I found one today and some leaves that have been munched on. I'll spray them with my Safer caterpillar spray this weekend before this shit gets out of hand. Nothing worse than a ton of caterpillars eating the center of all the buds.

None of them really got as tall as I thought they would. The taller UltraViolence is a little over 6' and the smaller one is just under 5'. The taller GG4 is just a little under 6' and the shorter on is just a few inches behind. But the but sites are really starting to grow fast. The top of the taller GG4 looks amazing, but all of the other tops and buds are looking great as well.

Here is that nasty caterpillar I found today.

Here are the two UV's

And the two GG4's

So the weather has been great, and this week looks like it's going to be another sunny 70 something degree week! But as you may have noticed in pics from the past few weeks, it's look a little hazy out there. All of the fires north of us are sending there smoke down here. The sun is out but looking funky. Most of them are over 100 miles away. I can usually see all the way across the bay. Lately I can't even see the bottom of the hills.

Back
Top Bottom