Haystack's Outdoor Grow

No way I’ll ever be able to grow plants like that , with our short grow season. Those are beautiful plants !! I’m envious, and ashamed to post mine !! Good luck haystack !!
That's the beauty of Mother Nature. I could never grow those in my tent.

Hi Guys,

HS - the night photos accent the buds more. Look bigger and more inviting! Nice work.

SP - you can grow plants like that. I'm watching a guy on the 65 degrees lattitude growing ones that size. I know you're not north of him. Just need to wrap your mind around it. I'm hoping to make a yearly stash with autos next year. Wrapped my mind around that. I'll see if I can!

I'm making a change. So now all of the plants are yellowing more than I would like them to. But the GG4 continues to get more and more yellow with not much bud growth. I have not added any nutrients for over a week. I thought that would help, but it hasn't. I'm not really sure what is going on here, but it's kind of strange. It's almost as if they cannot take up any nutrients in the soil, so they are taking them from the leaves. So, since the current nutrients have been kind of suspect to me, I threw them out. (Actually, I didn't really throw them out. I just replaced them) I'm now using the line of General Organics. I don't usually use organic nutrients, but I have used this one a few years ago when I was testing nutrients. I liked the results and my local hydro store had it in stock, so I bought it.

I also bought a ph pen because I thought. What the hell. May as well check out the water as well. I'm not sure what the ph was in past years. But the ph of the tap water is 8. IT's also the first time I've even bothered to test the ph. Mostly because my grows have always looked healthy up until the last indoor grow I had as well as this outdoor grow. After testing I'm thinking that the ph is just a tad high. So tomorrow I am going to not only start using the general organics, but also bring the ph down to 6.5 for watering. I do that for a week and see how it goes. Best case scenario, things will get better. Worst case scenario, it won't hurt.

This is what I'll be using.

Too much yellow for me at this time of year. And the buds don;t seem to be getting any bigger and I'm running out of time.

I'm making a change. So now all of the plants are yellowing more than I would like them to. But the GG4 continues to get more and more yellow with not much bud growth. I have not added any nutrients for over a week. I thought that would help, but it hasn't. I'm not really sure what is going on here, but it's kind of strange. It's almost as if they cannot take up any nutrients in the soil, so they are taking them from the leaves. So, since the current nutrients have been kind of suspect to me, I threw them out. (Actually, I didn't really throw them out. I just replaced them) I'm now using the line of General Organics. I don't usually use organic nutrients, but I have used this one a few years ago when I was testing nutrients. I liked the results and my local hydro store had it in stock, so I bought it.

I also bought a ph pen because I thought. What the hell. May as well check out the water as well. I'm not sure what the ph was in past years. But the ph of the tap water is 8. IT's also the first time I've even bothered to test the ph. Mostly because my grows have always looked healthy up until the last indoor grow I had as well as this outdoor grow. After testing I'm thinking that the ph is just a tad high. So tomorrow I am going to not only start using the general organics, but also bring the ph down to 6.5 for watering. I do that for a week and see how it goes. Best case scenario, things will get better. Worst case scenario, it won't hurt.

Too much yellow for me at this time of year. And the buds don;t seem to be getting any bigger and I'm running out of time.

I have no experience with GG4, but some strains I've grown start cannabilizing leaves as they finish. So it might not matter.

But pH=8 is a little high, though I'd guess it's lower in the soil, because soils generally buffer pH.

I have no experience with GG4, but some strains I've grown start cannabilizing leaves as they finish. So it might not matter.

But pH=8 is a little high, though I'd guess it's lower in the soil, because soils generally buffer pH.
When I measure the ph of the soil, it's around 7.5. But the only device I have to measure with is one of those probes like this one. It's not the greatest way to measure ph, but it's pretty close

I got a little bored this evening and decided to make another update. I've started using the General Organics products that I bought a few days ago. Tuesday I watered with Bio Thrive Bloom and Bio Bud. Friday I watered with CalMag+ and Bio Marine. Today, it seems like its starting to show signs of new dark green growth. Hopefully the yellowing will slow and things will start to return to normal. I also added another bag of Happy Frog and divided it equally between all of the plants. Hopefully the new soil will give it a little kick. I also have been ph testing the water and making it 6.5 ph for each watering. I't kind of blew my mind when I tested the water at over 8 ph out of the tap.

I've been a little stressed out about the yellowing of the leaves and the bud development. Although things look decent they are not up to the full potential that I was hoping to see. Today, my brother in law kind of confirmed my worries. He is growing a few plants as well. In fact he is growing four of the UltraViolence clones I gave to him. His are all still very green with very little yellowing. While he was tending to his plants, one of the branches broke off. He cam up to show me and I was surprised at the size of it. It was just a side branch, but its bigger than just about every top I have on my plants. So now I'm just hoping that the new nutrients help mine begin to come back to life again. But there is not much time left this season. I got my fingers crossed.
Here is a pic of the branch that broke off of his plant. I'm guessing it's gonna weigh at least a couple oz or more when it's dried.

Morning Haystack,

Your ladies look very nice. I only look at colas when determining how a plant looks. Fans always die off from bottom to top. I've tried things that haven't worked including nitrogen filled compost tea. But, I grow in the ground, so it may be different. But, that's my experience with fans yellowing.

Morning Haystack,

Your ladies look very nice. I only look at colas when determining how a plant looks. Fans always die off from bottom to top. I've tried things that haven't worked including nitrogen filled compost tea. But, I grow in the ground, so it may be different. But, that's my experience with fans yellowing.
Thank you. And yes they still look pretty good. But ever since I switched to the flower nutrients it's been yellowing pretty fast. Faster than usual. And by watching the leaves as they get yellow, the look like either a lack of nutrients or high PH. They're starting to look a little better in the last few days. Hopefully it continues

Today i spent a little time arranging the branches on the two ultraviolence plants. It's kindof hard to tell, but I angled the blue stakes to pull the lattice out and tighten it. It pulled the branches outward, giving the branches a little more air space for sunlight. The sun penetrates pretty deep now. Hope that helps.

There's a pro grower next door, and she does that. Putting bamboo poles in the ground to pull the branches down enough to open up the interior, and defoliates a lot, to cut down on bud rot and bet more sunlight into the smaller bud sights. She does very well!!

There's a pro grower next door, and she does that. Putting bamboo poles in the ground to pull the branches down enough to open up the interior, and defoliates a lot, to cut down on bud rot and bet more sunlight into the smaller bud sights. She does very well!!
It does help for sure. The more airspace and sunlight you can get between the branches, the better the buds will grow.

Oh oh, I finally got my first signs of dreaded mold. Luckily it was just a lower branch, so I cut the whole branch off. After inspecting all four plants, I could not locate anymore. Hopefully that's all for now. I'll be doing some more trimming and spraying neem oil this weekend just to ensure I don;t get more. We've had several weeks lately where the fog rolls in at night and the humidity gets really high. But the good news is that I saved a good part of the branch, then trimmed and washed it. I kind of cheated with the washing. I didn't do a full wash. Just a 1/4 cup of peroxide in a gallon of water. then rinsed it off under the faucet. Not the best wash, but it should have gotten rid of any residual mold and mildew. In a week or so, I'll have a little sample. It won't be much. Maybe just an 8th oz. But it will be a good teaser.

I'm guessing two joints ? But come on Haystack, you got all that weed and you're going to chance smoking that ? Just my 2 cents !!

I wouldn't change nutes at this stage. I think that you're on the right track with bringing the ph of your solutions down to about 6.5, and continue your same nutes. What is your estimate of a harvest date ?

And i still don't receive your updates ?
That's strange. I don't think my updates are going out to anyone. And I don't see anywhere I can change that.

Oh well. At least the plants seem to be doing well again. The buds are starting to grow again with the help of the PH down. I'm keeping it at 6.5 for now.

I've never been one to check the PH on my water. But I'm pretty sure something is going on with the tap water here. Most of the time when I test it, it's at 8 to 9 now. When I first started growing here I did test it and it was around 7. That was 5 years ago and up until now I haven't tested it since then. Although for a little over a year, the water has smelled different. To me it smells like fish tank water. It's not very strong, but I can smell it a little bit. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe they treat it different now or maybe it comes from a different source. Maybe that explains part of the problems I had last year too. Before last summer all the previous grows were much better.

Oh well. All is good now and maybe you'll get this update.

i did receive this update !! Do you check your ppm or ec of your water ? The ph of my tap water is around 8, so I'm not going to give that to my ladies. The ppm of my tap, is usually about 125, but at times will climb to 240, and when that happens, I either use rain water or mineralised water from Wal mart. I use tap water 95% of the year. Tap sets out for 24 hrs. and most times longer to rid of chlorophyll . Now that I'm using super soil, I don't think ph is as critical as it was growing hydroponically using coco. For the little bit of time it takes to monitor my tap water, I'll always monitor it. From what I'm experiencing this summer outside, all this super soil needs is water, and love !! The love part is here, but sunshine is the occasional, sporadic and very rare event this time of year, in w ma. . Already found a couple spots of bud rot, so It wont be long till harvest now. Happy harvest !!

i did receive this update !! Do you check your ppm or ec of your water ? The ph of my tap water is around 8, so I'm not going to give that to my ladies. The ppm of my tap, is usually about 125, but at times will climb to 240, and when that happens, I either use rain water or mineralised water from Wal mart. I use tap water 95% of the year. Tap sets out for 24 hrs. and most times longer to rid of chlorophyll . Now that I'm using super soil, I don't think ph is as critical as it was growing hydroponically using coco. For the little bit of time it takes to monitor my tap water, I'll always monitor it. From what I'm experiencing this summer outside, all this super soil needs is water, and love !! The love part is here, but sunshine is the occasional, sporadic and very rare event this time of year, in w ma. . Already found a couple spots of bud rot, so It wont be long till harvest now. Happy harvest !!
I don't have a meter that will measure the ppm or ec. But everything seems to be good now. If they get worse, I'll get a meter and see what the readings are. And unfortunately I found two more spots of bud rot. Luckily it wasn't much and I was able to cut them off. I often get mold at this time of year. Nights and mornings can be really foggy around here. It's the perfect breeding grounds for mold.

I started using fish fertilizer every 4-5th watering to boost my plants that started yellowing. I was surprised how well it worked...new growth is super green.

It's crazy high RH here and I am finding rot every day...just praying for some sunshine and lower RH days so the buds can dry out a little. It's been challenging,.

When you say fish fertilizer, do you mean fish emulsion or some other brand name stuff like General Organics Bio Marine? I'm using the Bio Marine stuff. But if there's something better, I'm all ears.

I've been following your journal and your humidity is a lot higher than it is here. I'm getting hit with a little mold. But it must be really tough back east. Multiple days with 100%humidity is crazy. I hope your dehumidifier helps.

Back
Top Bottom