Haystack's Outdoor Grow

I don't have a meter that will measure the ppm or ec. But everything seems to be good now. If they get worse, I'll get a meter and see what the readings are. And unfortunately I found two more spots of bud rot. Luckily it wasn't much and I was able to cut them off. I often get mold at this time of year. Nights and mornings can be really foggy around here. It's the perfect breeding grounds for mold.
Yes it is !! We're getting sporatic sunny days, but today was overcast & misty day, but them buds still got a little heavier. We Got a 4 day rain event starting Tuesday, so got some decisions to make.

When you say fish fertilizer, do you mean fish emulsion or some other brand name stuff like General Organics Bio Marine? I'm using the Bio Marine stuff. But if there's something better, I'm all ears.I've been following your journal and your humidity is a lot higher than it is here. I'm getting hit with a little mold. But it must be really tough back east. Multiple days with 100%humidity is crazy. I hope your dehumidifier helps.

Neptune's Harvet Fish Fert...stinks like hell, so good for outdoor grows! I add about a 1/2 cup per 5-gallon.

Another reason for my yellowing leaves is I likely didn't increase my watering schedule soon enough when they started to (pre)flower. I say this because when I noticed the yellowing I began the fish fert and daily watering at the same time, and the combination worked well.

As far as RH, that is the current battle. Cutting off rot on a semi-daily basis...

Neptune's Harvet Fish Fert...stinks like hell, so good for outdoor grows! I add about a 1/2 cup per 5-gallon.

Another reason for my yellowing leaves is I likely didn't increase my watering schedule soon enough when they started to (pre)flower. I say this because when I noticed the yellowing I began the fish fert and daily watering at the same time, and the combination worked well.

As far as RH, that is the current battle. Cutting off rot on a semi-daily basis...
thanks for the info in the Neptunes Harvest. And I hear ya on the RH. It's been a real PITA here in Cali as well, although not as bad as you guys have it. But daily cutting off infected bud and H202 is a daily thing for me. We've been getting fogged in almost every night for the past few weeks and its kind of a nightmare. The H202 seems to be helping a little bit, but there is nothing that can totally stop it.

Hiya BH, guys and gals,

I'm finding the carnival strain is more mold resistant than most strains. I picked off 6 spots yesterday, but that's 3 plants. I haven't measured, but I estimate around 9' tall. I have a 10' stepladder (they're not really 10') to check buds with, and they're real close to each other. So, mine are still in soil, and re-evaluate after this rainy spell. Really sticky on top!

Yeah for sure on cutting your losses! Seems to be the way up here. Probably similar to Oregon and Washington.

Have you sampled your carnival yet?

I'm finding the carnival strain is more mold resistant than most strains. I picked off 6 spots yesterday, but that's 3 plants. I haven't measured, but I estimate around 9' tall. I have a 10' stepladder (they're not really 10') to check buds with, and they're real close to each other. So, mine are still in soil, and re-evaluate after this rainy spell. Really sticky on top! Yeah for sure on cutting your losses! Seems to be the way up here.
I don't know how fair it is to judge the Carnival, and other plants, against mold when trapped in a GH and a fan is circulating spores...it has definitely been a learning curve for me though. More rain today and tonight @ 50F.

I do believe some strains are more mold and mildew resistant than others, even given present circumstances. Some strains grow in monsoons and don't develop bud rot (or at least it's on the net to read). So, I'm still hoping to find a sativa that's mold resistant and matures faster. Can't hurt to hope, lol. They're breeding long flowering strains to mature earlier, (autos and now fast buds). But, just my opinion. Cheers!

I do believe some strains are more mold and mildew resistant than others, even given present circumstances. Some strains grow in monsoons and don't develop bud rot (or at least it's on the net to read). So, I'm still hoping to find a sativa that's mold resistant and matures faster. Can't hurt to hope, lol. They're breeding long flowering strains to mature earlier, (autos and now fast buds). But, just my opinion. Cheers!
You and me both...I am still looking for my -3 strains that I can grow best for my conditions. Stankberry and ATF are doing well...ATF has some rot and i haven't found any on the Stankberry.

Wouldnt that be nice!! I’m with ya there..
Could I ask for some info on that Carnival strain, where did you find seeds, and is it mostly indica?
Next spring for my outdoor grow, I'm going to try some Colombian Gold and Durban Poison. From what I know, those two are supposed to be very mold and disease resistant. I'm getting tired of dealing with mold every year.

Next spring for my outdoor grow, I'm going to try some Colombian Gold and Durban Poison. From what I know, those two are supposed to be very mold and disease resistant. I'm getting tired of dealing with mold every year.

Man I tell ya Hay years ago I was researching original landrace strains in a borrowed book throughout my off season, and I remember both those strains were mentioned as having high mold resistance with genetic backgrounds from wet climates.
As the years go on, myself as an outdoor grower only, I’m trying to get away from the hybrid strains on the market.

Man I tell ya Hay years ago I was researching original landrace strains in a borrowed book throughout my off season, and I remember both those strains were mentioned as having high mold resistance with genetic backgrounds from wet climates.
As the years go on, myself as an outdoor grower only, I’m trying to get away from the hybrid strains on the market.
I hear ya about the hybrids. I've had good luck with them on the two indoor grows I've had. But they can be big pussy's when it comes to growing them outdoors. Especially if you have heat wave after heat wave like I did last year or cloudy foggy high humidity days like this year. I'm just gonna go with the more hardy strains from now on. I can remember growing Colombian Gold when I was young and never having any problems with mold. It's been many years since then. But if I remember correctly, Columbian Gold tasted really good and was very stoney. And last year I grew one Durban Poison and it did pretty good in the heat. I don't have any pics of the Colombian from back in the late 70's and early 80's. But I do have a pic of last year's Durban. It was massive.
+

Yeah, that's a massive cola! Drool worthy! I've heard the short flowering Durbin Poison is mold resistant. I've been thinking about trying it as well. Columbia is tropical. Lots of rain. Sounds like an interesting experiment!

Yeah, that's a massive cola! Drool worthy! I've heard the short flowering Durbin Poison is mold resistant. I've been thinking about trying it as well. Columbia is tropical. Lots of rain. Sounds like an interesting experiment!
I grew a DTF (Durban Poison x ATF) and it was my earliest flowering plant (and, unfortunately, the first to be harvested).

OMG, I wouldn't have figured that! Wonder if genetics took a nasty turn on you? Doesn't make much sense. Live and learn.

OMG, I wouldn't have figured that! Wonder if genetics took a nasty turn on you? Doesn't make much sense. Live and learn.
Well, normally I would be glad but since they were fatter buds than the rest they caught the rot quickly and I had to harvest. I'll definitely run in again next summer and hope for less humid fall conditions.

So we had a little rain storm this evening. Luckily it only lasted a few minutes, but it came down pretty hard. It was enough to totally drench the plants. Hopefully it was more of a bud wash than an infestation of more mold.

Back
Top Bottom