Hello, newbie with a problem

none of the pots have perlite, the growing media is the same for every pot. i think i over watered them as babies the deformed ones but the new growth seems to be symmetrical and looks good, iv got a bag of perlite and a bag of clay balls now so on the repot they will get much more air flow and drainage.
Ohhhh i thought you said 2 of them didnt have perlite the rest did

hi there, iv grown a few times before, never in coco until this current grow. my babies are about 3 weeks in, i got 10 green gelato seeds from royalseeds and got 5 critical free. 14 popped, 9 gelato and all 5 critical all looking good. after transplanting into bigger seedling pots from the small pellets 2 of the plants seem to have developed deformities, but all others look awesome, until today. A couple of the best looking ones have sad leaves droopy like its in a dark period, each plant has had the same nutes, i did forget to use perlite in these small pots but will remember when i repot a final time, could this deformity and droops be a consequence of poor drainage and maybe a build up of salts, ill get a pick on soon, cheers guys,
Ah my bad i misread it bro

i had some light algae build up on the top of the coco on my gas2 early on, it didnt stay long and never affected anything far as i could tell.

Oxygen wont hang about and that water will go funky and cause the mentioned algae build up wont it?
any water left in the coco after a day is essentially washed out once watered to run off anyway. i dont think it would have time to sit enough to go stagnant would it?

i had some light algae build up on the top of the coco on my gas2 early on, it didnt stay long and never affected anything far as i could tell.

any water left in the coco after a day is essentially washed out once watered to run off anyway. i dont think it would have time to sit enough to go stagnant would it?
yes mate thats what im hoping, any old water and neuts just get washed threw

Where's @newty and possibly @SweetSue. I really have no personal fact based ideas to share. I'm pretty sure Sue knows coco.

Right here... :battingeyelashes: The only time I’ve used coco was to cut the soil with Doc Bud’s kit. I’ve never played with it beyond that, and certainly not with hempy.

hi thanks for the info, it makes sense, but u say u should never need to go above half strength neuts? so why does it tell me to use what it does? general question not a sarcasticic one lol, do i ever boost to full?
Yeah its confusing that what the manufacturers say most of us disagree with. The thing is thpugh, the nute companies are making money from you. The doses they give shouldnt give you much problems but theyre way higher than whats needed. You can get away with a fraction of it. Anything else is just a waste.
Hydro growers know more about it because we can actually see whats being used from the resevoir on the ppm meter so we dont have to waste any nutes. The important thing to remember is that the roots are intelligent. Theyll only absorb what they want to, you cant force feed them anything. That mea s any nutes that arent used just build up in the media.
Im going up shortly so ill take a pic to show you how big mine are and theyre only on 300ppm.

Coco is hydro but if the pots still heavy its gettin over watered still. The pot still needs to dry out before watering surely?
Nah not with coco mate. Theres no such thing as "over watering" the problems soil growers get actually come from a lack of oxygen. Nothing to do with the water volume. Otherwise dwc wouldnt exist would it. Coco is nice and airy and drains fast so holds lots of oxygen. Could leave it on a 24/7 drip feed if you wanted to.

3 weeks ago feeding at 200ppm.
Nothing but 50ppm tap water for 5 days or untill the leaves start to yellow.
100ppm untill second node is formed.
Then 200ppm u till that point. See how the odd leave in the middle at the bottom is turning yellow, thats the visual cue to up to 300.
I still havent been told to up the dose yet and look :) currently saving like 70% on my nute bill. Ive only fed that lot in the resevoirs twice each in 3 weeks. 20l each time and only used like 100ml of nutes for the entire grow so far.

Screenshot_20190525-152622.jpg

Taken on tuesday. The 2 in bloom at the top are autos on 500ppm.
The rest is made up of 6 photos still in veg, those are now on 350ppm and 50 of that is my water so only 300ppm nutes.
4 of them in a 20l nft res, 2 in 10L-ish coco fabric pots. And just to piss off the people that freak about run off. See those black pots theyre in, i water them untill the pots are full to the brim and leave them for 2 days till it hits the bottom then fill it again so that the coco never gets anywhere even close to dry. If you look at the pics, its really hard to see whats what in the new photos but that one in the right hand coco pot is by far the biggest.

Theyre all under a 600w cmh but untill the day of the first picture, all shared a single 130w cfl.
Screenshot_20190530-175251.jpg

Screenshot_20190530-175257.jpg
Screenshot_20190530-175303.jpg

Nah not with coco mate. Theres no such thing as "over watering" the problems soil growers get actually come from a lack of oxygen. Nothing to do with the water volume. Otherwise dwc wouldnt exist would it. Coco is nice and airy and drains fast so holds lots of oxygen. Could leave it on a 24/7 drip feed if you wanted to.
Yer i understand all that but what im saying is if that one spot in the pot has been consistently watered without drying and roots penetrating it wheres the oxygen coming from? Like you said a constant 24/7 drip feed would be cool. Because its a small amount at a time and the oxygen is ever present. If you are putting 5 gals through a plant every 24h and its only drinkin 2/3 gals before topping it up thats not going to overwater the plant?

Yer i understand all that but what im saying is if that one spot in the pot has been consistently watered without drying and roots penetrating it wheres the oxygen coming from? Like you said a constant 24/7 drip feed would be cool. Because its a small amount at a time and the oxygen is ever present. If you are putting 5 gals through a plant every 24h and its only drinkin 2/3 gals before topping it up thats not going to overwater the plant?
No lol. Hang on, right mate. Im Scottish and come across the wrong way
Nah mate, as long as you're not doing anything daft like smashing a gallon a minute then they're golden pretty much.
Those NFT Res I use feed a 4inch rockwool cube balanced on a shelf of fresh air 24/7.

potted one critical in clay balls and perlite coco mix in bigger pot, the water run off is quick, seems ill get alot better drainage and air flow now, ill do the other 13 this way too me thinks, unless u veterans wanna give me some other pointers

potted one critical in clay balls and perlite coco mix in bigger pot, the water run off is quick, seems ill get alot better drainage and air flow now, ill do the other 13 this way too me thinks, unless u veterans wanna give me some other pointers
Sounds good mate but I'd personally advise on only using clay pellets in the final pot. Lots of us put a layer of them at the bottom or middle to improve drainage/oxygen levels.
They could possibly damage roots when moving during the transplant though if mixed in through the media.
I personally wouldn't risk it.

Transplanting is perfectly safe as long as it's perfectly simple :)

Can I ask what light you use and the watts? Not saying it is the cause, but if you do have any green stuff building up, then they're not losing enough water through evaporation.

If it's salt, then that's normal, it means the opposite, they're drying out fast, leaving the salt residue from the nutrients.

I wouldn't bother starting them on half or quarter the strength nutrients, this is Coco, and Coco actually takes nutrients from the plant, that is why Cal Mag is used, to overfeed on them nutrients so the plant has some left to absorb.

I'd recommend Canna A and B nutrients; it worked for mine. And I water every day until run off, up to 3 litres a day (UK Litres).

Don't bother testing the run off PH, it is called waste water for a reason, all that matters is what's going in, not coming out. And you can absolutely not over water in Coco, unless you're giving it gallons per day and soaking it. I water every 6 to 8 hours, and start the PH nice and low at 5.2, as it will gradually rise and give the plant everything on the nutrient scale until next watering.

I honestly think this is a combination of light (Maybe not enough), and not enough of the correct nutrients, as well as watering too less.

This is talking from experience, so take it or leave it, but I guarantee it will make them better.

Back
Top Bottom