Hempy Headquarters

i am nearing that once a day point already on day 35 with my biggest girl in the 2 gal perlite hempy. i want to try 3gal next time and see how large she gets. i also just realized growing weed and mma are the only 2 times you can say "that girls a big ol beast" and its a compliment. such a fine line we walk

ah the 20% thing is interesting. i was thinking

shorter container/same hole height = more volume at same depth so more nutes/less frequent feed

based on your 20% thing, theoretically then youd place the drainage hole lower on a short fat square pot than a tall slender bottle pot, correct? since the line at which 20% volume falls would be proportionately higher on the taller container

don't sweat it.
even with a taper most containers work out pretty close. it's not an exact science and doesn't need to be.

for pretty much any hempy container, a hole from 2 - 2 1/2 inches above the bottom of the bucket works. just move it to the higher side on a tapered bucket. the only exception are the solo cups for clones and seedling. i just eyeball that about an inch from the bottom.

i am nearing that once a day point already on day 35 with my biggest girl in the 2 gal perlite hempy. i want to try 3gal next time and see how large she gets. i also just realized growing weed and mma are the only 2 times you can say "that girls a big ol beast" and its a compliment. such a fine line we walk

you're gonna feed every day or to every second day in hempy. i feed every second from mid veg, and every day in flower.

edit: you can veg a plant in a larger container for a shorter period and and flip sooner to feed less frequent. but you'll still probably feed every other day in flower.

Indeed! Hempy, not unlike any other DTW, is very hands on after the roots have fully populated the medium. The size of the root volume dictates the size of the plant - not the reservoir. If you want many small plants with minimal veg time, go with stadium cups or 2 liter bottles for a SOG. If you want a larger plant and plan a longer veg, go with something larger.

To answer your question politoed, it depends on what you want. In the case of my current hempy tub, the hole is 2-1/4” above the bottom, which provides a reservoir that holds about 2.85 gallons, and the root volume is ~17 gallons of perlite, so the reservoir is about 15% (~3 gallons out of ~20).

Because your DDA1 was showing signs of being unhappy with the level of nitrogen it was receiving, and the quickest way to address that was to skip straight to the Early Bloom (1/2 dose), which has an even lower nitrogen level than Transition.

On the other hand, his plants are not showing any significant issues, so a more gradual transition is possible.

:thanks: , as always, Felipe for answering all my inexperienced grower questions. :love:

Questions:

1. How often should I water the seedling? It has a tap root and is transplanted to a solo cup, no leafs yet.
2. Do you use a tray, under the cups, or a sytem to control run off when you water the seedlings?
3. How much run off, or how much should I know to water them?
4. I did not know the best way to sanitize, clean the tent and grow room before. How do you sanitize and contain the
room and tent to keep things controlled and clean?

Questions:

1. How often should I water the seedling? It has a tap root and is transplanted to a solo cup, no leafs yet.

I like to dribble a bit around it every day. It reinforces the direction to the water table for the seedling.

2. Do you use a tray, under the cups, or a sytem to control run off when you water the seedlings?

No, I do my fertigating outside, so the garden beds benefit.

3. How much run off, or how much should I know to water them?

Try for at least 10% runoff every time. I give more to flush out any old remainder in the reservoir. It’s good to get a nice strong stream once in a while.

4. I did not know the best way to sanitize, clean the tent and grow room before. How do you sanitize and contain the
room and tent to keep things controlled and clean?

Wash/wipe down first to remove dirt/debris. You can then use 1 tablespoon of bleach in a gallon of warm water to sanitize.

another question is how do you manage spills in the tent? Every time I take the solo cups out to be watered and put them back in the tent water gets spilled.

I had trays under mine. Do you have trays under yours?

I think the rapid rooters was a bad idea on my part.

I quit using such things a while back. Got a bad batch (looked like most of them were covered in some kind of white mold). I can;t say I'll never try them again, but have no current plans to do so.

it is only day three and I saw a little red spider crawling in and out of one of the rapid rooters.

Spiders are good. They aren't vegetarians ;) . Spider mites, on the other hand, are The Borg, and should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

another question is how do you manage spills in the tent? Every time I take the solo cups out to be watered and put them back in the tent water gets spilled.

Don't carry plants in and out (or, if you must, wait until the containers they're in stop dripping/leaking before carrying them back in), use drip trays, remove spilled/etc. liquids as they occur (shop vac, "squeeze bulb" kerosene siphon pump, rubber hose, towel, sponge, paper towel, thirsty elephant (just kidding), et cetera.

I quit using such things a while back. Got a bad batch (looked like most of them were covered in some kind of white mold). I can;t say I'll never try them again, but have no current plans to do so.

Spiders are good. They aren't vegetarians ;) . Spider mites, on the other hand, are The Borg, and should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Don't carry plants in and out (or, if you must, wait until the containers they're in stop dripping/leaking before carrying them back in), use drip trays, remove spilled/etc. liquids as they occur (shop vac, "squeeze bulb" kerosene siphon pump, rubber hose, towel, sponge, paper towel, thirsty elephant (just kidding), et cetera.

How would I want to eliminate the mites? I was going to call a nursery tomorrow about beneficial insects.

hey hempsters.. have any of you experienced something like this? over the last 3 days these cream cookies plants have just looked really sad and weird.. the rest are doing fine. im not sure what deficiency or excess could be causing this? heres the short scoop

5 days ago i started adding calmag+ into my nutrients
i have raised the power of my lights slightly
the plant is drinking the same as normal but just looks really weird
ph pen is calibrated and no issues with ph..

im thinking maybe the plant just hates the calmag? or the fact that my tap water is 200ppm, maybe adding the calmag bumped up the calcium too high and the mg and some other stuff is locked out? the normal feed for this plant was 4ml each of gro/micro/bloom. i have cut back to see if maybe that helps to 1ml each yesterday. it seemed to help for a few hours but shes said again. any ideas?

IMG_2441.jpg

Most unhappy looking :(

Could be the 200 ppm water. Adding calmag+ might not be a great idea. Did you see indications of deficiency on them?
yes and no - the grapefruits looked like they had a little bit on most of the leaves. theyre still happy with the new feed.

the cream cookies i saw a couple spots on lower leaves of the big one. but they couldve been in the splash zone so maybe they werent deficient after all.

deductive reasoning is pointing to this calmag+ supp. so im thinking today i should refertigate without it and try to get that calmag out of there. what would be the best way to do this?

Well, in perlite hempy, you just fertigate with the new mix until a good stream comes out of the hole. It might help to hold your finger over the hole and float the perlite slightly before letting go.

This is one of the benefits of hempy - you can make instant corrections like this - without having to saturate soil by flushing, and then having to wait for it to dry out again.

Well, in perlite hempy, you just fertigate with the new mix until a good stream comes out of the hole. It might help to hold your finger over the hole and float the perlite slightly before letting go.

This is one of the benefits of hempy - you can make instant corrections like this - without having to saturate soil by flushing, and then having to wait for it to dry out again.
these are 2 gallon buckets. would it be excessive to hold the hole and flood the whole bucket with like a gallon to the top of the perlite before letting go? just to get any residue off the higher roots?

my plan is to fertigate with its old feed from last week, sans cal mag as soon as the lights come on in about 4 hours

Back
Top Bottom