Hey guys my first time growing

Riddick95

420 Member
So my seedling are drying out from the edges and eventually curl upwards and die off what could possibly be the problem need help asap!!!

16186226945741059779637604303240.jpg

Hey Riddick,

Welcome to 420! Is that a photoperiod or an autoflower?

Watering too frequently; the soil is too wet, it’s not drying out enough before you add more water. Roots cannot breathe in a continuously wet soil. Do you have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the cup? Might help to enlarge the existing holes you’ve got and make half a dozen more holes in the lower sides near the bottom edge. Tilt that cup to a steep 45 degree angle, prop it up so it won’t tip over, leave it propped up overnight and I bet the cup will pee some water out of the bottom side. Also not enough soil or to say it another way - the cup rim sticks up too high air needs to flow across the surface of the soil, this will help it dry out but air doesn’t flow down into the cup because of the high rim...

How often do you water? How much water do you give at one time? Can you shoot a pic of the holes in the bottom cuz if they are tiny holes that’s not gonna fly...catch you on the flip side

Hey Riddick,

Welcome to 420! Is that a photoperiod or an autoflower?

Watering too frequently; the soil is too wet, it’s not drying out enough before you add more water. Roots cannot breathe in a continuously wet soil. Do you have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the cup? Might help to enlarge the existing holes you’ve got and make half a dozen more holes in the lower sides near the bottom edge. Tilt that cup to a steep 45 degree angle, prop it up so it won’t tip over, leave it propped up overnight and I bet the cup will pee some water out of the bottom side. Also not enough soil or to say it another way - the cup rim sticks up too high air needs to flow across the surface of the soil, this will help it dry out but air doesn’t flow down into the cup because of the high rim...

How often do you water? How much water do you give at one time? Can you shoot a pic of the holes in the bottom cuz if they are tiny holes that’s not gonna fly...catch you on the flip side
I usually water every 3rd day the thing Is the drainage of the cup allows the water too run out but u suggest me making more holes in the cup

I usually water every 3rd day the thing Is the drainage of the cup allows the water too run out but u suggest me making more holes in the cup
Hi Riddick, I think for a seedling every third day is too little. I agree with Nunya too with filling the cup up as well. Welcome aboard! Check out the watering links in my sig below.

Hey @Riddick95 Welcome aboard.

In my experience, when my plant(s) are having issues, I leave the leaves on so I can get a better idea of how it is progressing.

If it is a deficiency, the plant will continue to use the leaves to feed itself until the issue is resolved.

Do u guys suggest me cutting those dry Leaves off cos it looks like they spreading all the way inward?
Cutting off the dry leaves will not make the problem go away. Those with experience in growing these plants can start to tell what might be going wrong by looking at the leaves. It will not help if the leaves are not there.

Every time a leaf is cut off the problem will move to the next leaf. Eventually all of them will be cut off.

I usually water every 3rd day the thing Is the drainage of the cup allows the water too run out .....
That is why they are there. If to much water is put into the container the excess can drain out.
Id fill the cup to the brim and replant.
Right. It looks like one of the rings at the bottom of the cup is showing in the photo. If so, then I have the feeling that there is only an inch or two of soil.

Speaking of soil, what is in the cup? Is it something from a bag that was bought at the corner hardware store? Is it even soil or is it a mix of coco coir and something else? Knowing that will help figure out what the problem might be.

Cutting off the dry leaves will not make the problem go away. Those with experience in growing these plants can start to tell what might be going wrong by looking at the leaves. It will not help if the leaves are not there.

Every time a leaf is cut off the problem will move to the next leaf. Eventually all of them will be cut off.

That is why they are there. If to much water is put into the container the excess can drain out.

Right. It looks like one of the rings at the bottom of the cup is showing in the photo. If so, then I have the feeling that there is only an inch or two of soil.

Speaking of soil, what is in the cup? Is it something from a bag that was bought at the corner hardware store? Is it even soil or is it a mix of coco coir and something else? Knowing that will help figure out what the problem might be.
Nah its compost that I'm using

Seedlings are the hardest part. Dont cut leaves off for 2 reasons.

1 - could be the cotyledon which is the first leaves after seed germination. Never touch them.
2 - can introduce bacteria that will kill the seedling.

You cup should have adequate drainage holes. I usually cut a cross in the btm of my cups. I use plastic and clean them very well between uses with soap and water.

Keep the soil moist. I usually put my cups with fresh seedlings in a dome on top of a heat mat until first set of true leaves are established. The heat mat requires daily watering but not too much and not too little.... that's the trick and the challenge.

Also water quality is KEY - specially with seedlings. Could be something as simple as crappy tap water. I use RO filtered water.

Yeah but with my other plany similar thing happened but it just spread all the way too the stem and now the plant is dead so I thought myb by cutting those dry leaves it will stop the spread
Even if the plant has a disease or insect on the leaf it is still best to keep the leaves there until the problem has been figured out and some sort of remedy started. Taking the leaf off does not always mean the problem left with that leaf.

Nah its compost that I'm using
Compost is a good thing. It might seem like a lot of questions but we need to know if it is pure compost from your compost pile or from a bag. What has been mixed in with the compost? The "Holy Trinity" of soil mixes is Peat Moss, and then something for aeration. Perlite or rice hulls are examples. And, finally the compost and/or worm castings or a mix of those. All three serve a purpose and really help grow better plants. And, there are ratios of the three.

If you are going to refill the cup with compost and replant that seedling it is best to know just what is being used.

The little tiny bit of yellow at the very tip is probably not something to worry about at this point. I think that there is a slight deficiency causing the leaf to turn that gray-green color and start to dry out. The plant is not getting something it needs from your compost and the next step is to figure out what. Knowing more about the soil/compost will help figure out what it is.

Back
Top Bottom