Hi all, I am in a real crisis - Help!

grimlyman

I Hope that someone can help out there.
I have had to register because I couldn't remember my username, funny that.
So I am an experienced grower but a shithouse but one.

I am in New Zealand and it's mid summer, most days around 20-25 Celsius.
I have 5 Golden tiger plants growing outside in soil and predominantly they are reasonably healthy.
About 3 days ago I noticed that my largest and best plant was wilting in the heat of the midday sun. I live in rainforest area close to the coast 2km.
We get our share of rain and the soil retains moister through summer.
When I first spotted the wilt I immediately put the hose on trickle and it perked up a bit.
Yesterday which was another hot and sunny day, the entire half on the sunny side of the of the plants tips were really drooping or wilting if you like.
I quickly put a tarpaulin up to keep the direct sunlight of her and misted the plant and it stood back up again after a few hours.
Today I have been keeping a close eye on her,and as soon as the sun reached it around 10am I new it was going to do the same thing.
I have never witnessed this behavior in my 50years of growing.
The plant has not been under watered as I explained prior, I do still water in the evening if it has been a dry day.
I don't feel that it has been over watered either but i could be wrong on fhat, although my thoughts went to, if its over watered it wouldn't have revive when I put the hose on it,correct?.
So my other thoughts were a nutrient problem but the plant appears to be fine and growing well.
Which now takes me to a root issue yes or no.
Or is it a puusy plant that can't handle the rugged west coast.
The pictures i have Posted were taken today, the fist sees the plant healthy and strong. Photo 2 about an hour of being in the mid morning sun she started drooping and deteriorated quickly.
The last photo is from after I covered her up again and out of direct sunlight.
I couldn't tell you what the soil ph is, only that she is planted over some of my old fish carcasses.
Any discussion will be a welcoming relief.
Regards Graeme.
20240130_100419.jpg
20240130_110814.jpg
20240130_104409.jpg
17065700606917505470170620855754.jpg

Hello, what type of soil are you growing in? What nutrients or organic amendments?

Can you feel the soil to see how moist it is? Or pick up the pot to see how heavy it is? Sounds like it may be overwatered...

Hi Kieth, at the moment I give them a quick freshen with the hose at the end of a hot sunny but the soil is continuesly moist. I dug around the drip line yesterday and it seemed very moist.
Let the soil dry out a bit between waterings...

I Hope that someone can help out there.
I have had to register because I couldn't remember my username, funny that.
So I am an experienced grower but a shithouse but one.

I am in New Zealand and it's mid summer, most days around 20-25 Celsius.
I have 5 Golden tiger plants growing outside in soil and predominantly they are reasonably healthy.
About 3 days ago I noticed that my largest and best plant was wilting in the heat of the midday sun. I live in rainforest area close to the coast 2km.
We get our share of rain and the soil retains moister through summer.
When I first spotted the wilt I immediately put the hose on trickle and it perked up a bit.
Yesterday which was another hot and sunny day, the entire half on the sunny side of the of the plants tips were really drooping or wilting if you like.
I quickly put a tarpaulin up to keep the direct sunlight of her and misted the plant and it stood back up again after a few hours.
Today I have been keeping a close eye on her,and as soon as the sun reached it around 10am I new it was going to do the same thing.
I have never witnessed this behavior in my 50years of growing.
The plant has not been under watered as I explained prior, I do still water in the evening if it has been a dry day.
I don't feel that it has been over watered either but i could be wrong on fhat, although my thoughts went to, if its over watered it wouldn't have revive when I put the hose on it,correct?.
So my other thoughts were a nutrient problem but the plant appears to be fine and growing well.
Which now takes me to a root issue yes or no.
Or is it a puusy plant that can't handle the rugged west coast.
The pictures i have Posted were taken today, the fist sees the plant healthy and strong. Photo 2 about an hour of being in the mid morning sun she started drooping and deteriorated quickly.
The last photo is from after I covered her up again and out of direct sunlight.
I couldn't tell you what the soil ph is, only that she is planted over some of my old fish carcasses.
Any discussion will be a welcoming relief.
Regards Graeme.
20240130_100419.jpg
20240130_110814.jpg
20240130_104409.jpg
17065700606917505470170620855754.jpg
Water before it gets hot, so they drink. :Namaste:
Otherwise they sit in wet roots.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Your plant looks awesome by the way!

If there is too much water/ moisture in the soil the roots will not be able to breath, plants need air in the root zone, aeration in the root zone is critical for plant health...

Water before it gets hot, so they drink. :Namaste:
Otherwise they sit in wet roots.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
That is a valid point Bill, I will try that tomorrow as it's going to be hot and dry for awhile
Your plant looks awesome by the way!

If there is too much water/ moisture in the soil the roots will not be able to breath, plants need air in the root zone, aeration in the root zone is critical for plant health...

My indoor grow temps average 27 to 28 Celsius and only need watering once maybe twice per week in veg, 20 gallon grow bags.

Yeah like mentioned above. Looks like the plant are dealing with some transpiration issues. Using up a lot of water to stay cool. I’m a firm believer in watering my plants right at lights on thur veg/flower. If my environment changes drastically I may even have to move my water day forward.

Probably not, but I can't help myself, I'm always doing something
Hello, what type of soil are you growing in? What nutrients or organic amendments?

Can you feel the soil to see how moist it is? Or pick up the pot to see how heavy it is? Sounds like it may be overwatered...
If I were to dig anywhere around the vicinity of the plant and grab a handful I could bind it up like a snowball.
There are two smaller plants within a couple of feet of this plant and they appear to be fine all though I did notice one tip yesterday with a slight droop. The soil is a peat type soil,rotted trees etc and is very fertile, I am picking that the soil is on the side of the ph scale
So all in all I agree that the soil is too wet the majority of the time.
From everyone's reckoning I am going to try not watering and keeping it shaded on the bright, hot days.
Also our sun here is harsher than any place I have been, not hotter but a real fry your skin type harsh.
Thanks again for all the input, my anxiety has gone down a few notches.
Ya only get one shot when growing outdoors so I have to be on to any anomalies quickly.

Thats where my mindset is going too.
What i cant get my head around is why do tthey stand up again when i water
What happens is the lower roots sitting in water with no oxygen for too long begin to die off, and as the top dries up, the plant begins to droop because the only roots she has that can take up water, cannot reach the lake of water below them. So the plant perks up while she can reach the water with her top roots, after that because of gravity she gets into trouble.

Well here, this article explains it better than I could:

Back
Top Bottom