How do I Low Stress Train my plants?

Those are simple 14 gauge coated wire that I've cut and bent into stakes. I use that early on, then move to either tent pegs or rubber coater garden ties for the bigger branches. The wire pegs are great for seedlings, but once the soil gets dry and/or the branches get too strong they just pull them out.

My pots have a lip on them so I just hook my garden ties around a stem and the tuck it under the lip. Otherwise I would tap a bunch of screws around the edge and use those to tie down.

Can't wait to see your examples. This isn't my journal, did you take a look at them yet? They're linked in my signature below. That's where you can find me if a query pops up and I've been ignoring you. :rofl:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Thanks for the info on the wires. Will definitely check out your journals, it's on the reading list. lol

Ok Snid here's my little newbie, learning myself contribution. ((Also FYI you can draw on your pics using "Paint" editing. Basically right click on your picture, and choose open with "Paint", then you click on one of the brush and choose a color to draw what you want.))

This is on my first grow, that I tried several techniques on, which is why she's very small. But in regards to LST I tried to create a "star" shape around the pot. I used soft garden wire ties and the garden twist ties together, and I tie them down with push tacks pushed in around the pot. I wrap the twist tie around the tack.

First I wrap a twist tie around a wire tie...

IMG_66989.JPG

IMG_669912.JPG

Then I wrap the wire tie around a branch. Here's a picture of me placing a new wire next to a branch so I can wrap it around it, the arrow shows one I already wrapped around...

IMG_67019.JPG

Here's how you start to bend the wire around the branch...

IMG_67038.JPG

Once it's wrapped around the branch then I pull down and wrap the twist tie around the push pins...

IMG_66959.JPG
IMG_66946.JPG

Here's the star shape I created, a top view...

IMG_67009.JPG

Sweet!! That's excellent Nulife, thank you. Great description too, this will go a long way for the annuls of this community.

Ps. I do 99% of my 420mag stuff on my phone. I've tried doing on the laptop but it's easier now on my phone with the auto predictive typing. Half my daily update is predicted. Lol.

Sweet!! That's excellent Nulife, thank you. Great description too, this will go a long way for the annuls of this community.

Ps. I do 99% of my 420mag stuff on my phone. I've tried doing on the laptop but it's easier now on my phone with the auto predictive typing. Half my daily update is predicted. Lol.

You do all of this with a phone?!! Hats off to you :)

I'm quite a fan of LST.

This is one from some time ago... mainly the main apical stem bent over with side laterals trained as well , i still use pipe cleaners to the day tho kind of works with the air pots... just make a hook each end place over branch & in to a hole easy as pie.

012424.JPG
014369.JPG

A bit later some staking was needed to help spread the canopy & hold the colas in place, still lst in essence.

005910.JPG
0011074.JPG

Trimmed for harvest.

0011077.JPG

A recent project with about 4 months of veg with topping done to each branch at either the first or second node point per branch... Only looking at 3 nodes worth of branches that is 6 of em supporting 12 main colas their are several smaller colas from 2nd node point of the 2nd & 3rd node set of branches which where topped at the 2nd node per branch, these smaller colas help fill out central growth with LST work applied.

Ya have to excuse the string at the mo i don't want any broken branches in the last 10 days of flowering.

PICT000290.JPG
PICT000376.JPG
PICT000477.JPG

Hi Snidrajsed, I have a KaliMist sativa strain that's been in veg for over 30 days. I've topped at the 3rd a few weeks back. She's starting to get pretty big so I decided to do some lst on all of her branch's. I'm curious though on how to defoliate the right way to make sure each branch ends on being a main cola. Here's a picture of what I'm done so far.
Thanks for any tips.
420-magazine-mobile910123940.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The four or six main branches will always become the main colas. Unless extremely suppressed with training... The main factor when achieving an even size of buds is to keep everything level as long as possible. How long do you plan to veg for, those pots will be hard to train in very soon. From this point, I'd keep the main stems suppressed and allow the secondary growth to rise up on its own. Once the secondary growth has reached the same level (height) as the main stems, you can let those mains rise up too. (but in a controlled manner) these mains will want to go "up" faster than the secondary so that where your judgement comes in. Hope that makes sense, if not I'll try to provide some examples of plants a little further along than these examples here. Keep us posted and...

Edit : matter of fact why don't you check out my current photoperiods, the two skywalkers are about a week apart and will show you about where to begin with your plants which are about the same age/size.

That make complete sense to me. I actually did that to one of my autos without realizing that's what I was doing.
420-magazine-mobile1059697130.jpg

Only I didn't stay on top of the main branch's so they are a bit taller now maybe by 1in. But the idea of LST has become easier for me to envision so that's a great bonus.
I plan to keep all 4 fem sativa's in veg until the autos finish so at least another month if not longer. That should give me enough time to train them for max yield. I do have 3gal fabric pots and also 2 5gal pots. The one plant I'm trying to flux will most likely end up in a 5gal bucket.
I just want to clarify one thing. So basically the most important part of the plant at this point is the branch's I have from topping the plant is that correct? I could remove any other branch's below that point since I plan to veg for a bit right? Or I could at least try it on one of the sativa's?

You can leave branches to train out, yes. And remove the ones that you don't want to train, yes. This will give more energies to the remaining branches... I wait till 4 or 5 nodes, cut down to 3rd, and then remove the very bottom growth tips to create a cross pattern. Or leave the bottom and create a star pattern. :thumb:

You can leave branches to train out, yes. And remove the ones that you don't want to train, yes. This will give more energies to the remaining branches... I wait till 4 or 5 nodes, cut down to 3rd, and then remove the very bottom growth tips to create a cross pattern. Or leave the bottom and create a star pattern. :thumb:

Ok cool. I'm going to head over to check out your photo grow. I think that will help me a little more for sure.
I just tried to pull down the main branch's on my auto. It will probably take a week for the branch's to fight their way straight up again which should make them more even.
420-magazine-mobile675966971.jpg

You know this thread is awesome. I can search online and read up on different ways to train a plant but it makes a huge difference when you have someone to actually talk to along the way. So reps+ to you as soon as I'm on a laptop to give them.

Looks very much more even. Although it won't be as effective at this point of flowering, you've got them all at the same height. Meaning they will also get the same amount of light which is very beneficial. The training you did earlier on was b+ work for sure. Just stay on top of it early in flower and you'll get them all of them more or less the same size too. Allowing you to enjoy the rest of the show without too much tampering. Looking great MsSinful, thanks again for sharing.

KiG :green_heart:

Oh yeah, I understand that. I feel like I'm a slow learner with lst. Visually it's been difficult i mean.

Practice makes perfect... Right? As long as you keep trying it'll come around to be second nature. Glad you're being proactive when it comes to learning more and more about these plants. Keep it up, you won't regret it...

KiG :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom