How obvious is mold and bud rot?

The123321

I am new to growing. I have looked at images of mold and bud rot online and I have looked at images that people post about it and many of the images I do not think I would have been able to tell it. I have 1 main worry about smoking what I grow and that is that I would unknowingly smoke something that had a problem in the grow and get sick from it. How obvious is mold and bud rot in the bud? Would I definitely be able to see it on the plant? If not then is it something that when trimming you would definitely notice when you trim it for it on there?

I am new to growing. I have looked at images of mold and bud rot online and I have looked at images that people post about it and many of the images I do not think I would have been able to tell it. I have 1 main worry about smoking what I grow and that is that I would unknowingly smoke something that had a problem in the grow and get sick from it. How obvious is mold and bud rot in the bud? Would I definitely be able to see it on the plant? If not then is it something that when trimming you would definitely notice when you trim it for it on there?
The one time I got mold I could smell it. I broke the buds open and I could see it. Control your humidity and keep a fan blowing across the buds 24/7 and you’ll be ok.

It can start out pretty sneakily. Last year, I had a lot of rain and got plenty of bud rot. Sometimes I’d notice just a tiny bit around the edge of a bud — but once I started picking it out, I found the entire interior was infected. It’s nasty as hell, but I’m not sure what would happen if you smoked it. I’m pretty sure I cut it all out because it’s fairly obvious when you’re trimming the bud. Just keep an eye out.

It s often not at all obvious in the early and even mid stages. A lot can be ruined before you notice. But once you get a feel for it you’ll know where and when to look.

IMO its extremely unlikely you’d face any health issues from mold.

I wonder if it can be there and not even see it.
It only gives itself away by smell......
OMG, the stuff of nightmares
Oh you’ll see it — the bud turns into this nasty gray/brown sloppy mess, covered in weird spores. Unfortunately the rot often begins on the interior of the bud and grows outward. There’s no way to mistake it for healthy bud, though. I removed all my infected bud, but my guess is it would continue to spread during drying and curing, so you would find it eventually.

Bud rot (botrytis) is a common issue I have, only in a couple of heads here and there, but by the time you notice it the damage is already done and it will spread like cancer. Early indicators to notice are when the leaves in you flower start to die or start curling or have a slight change in colour in comparison to the other leaves around and in your buds, smell is hard especially if there is only a little and you have a lot of air movement but you can smell it. Noticing this will not stop it as it starts from the inside out, but it can help slow down the spread to other plants and flowers. Once you notice it best off harvesting asap. :goodluck:

One of the treatments for bud rot (botrytis) is a mixture of 20% milk and 80% water. That should kill it. I found some on two of my plants this morning and sprayed them.

Check out post #853 & #875

So no subtlety whatsoever huh?
I have one strain.... it just smells weird.
You wouldn't recoil if you opened a jar and took a big gulp
But you would think, hmmmmm........
Would a Cheese trait in the genetics do that?
I dunno, I'm probably being paranoid
Take a real close look at the bud. If it’s got a bunch of fungal-looking fuzz and spores, and it’s all dark and diseased looking, then it might be bud rot. Otherwise, that’s just how the strain smells.

Also watch out for caterpillars. Sometimes we think it heat/humidity when it's a friggin Caterpillar that crawls INSIDE the stalk n eats from inside out. Their shit even causes the bud rot!!!!!!! Look for them daily! Happy growing

Also watch out for caterpillars. Sometimes we think it heat/humidity when it's a friggin Caterpillar that crawls INSIDE the stalk n eats from inside out. Their shit even causes the bud rot!!!!!!! Look for them daily! Happy growing
But, before that ... keep an eye peeled for small white moths flying around. About the size of your little finger nail. Those are the little bastids that lay the eggs that become worms.
Some years its worse than others, "BT Worm spray" is the best for them - and I use it prophylactically if I even think there's been a moth flying around my girls.

But, before that ... keep an eye peeled for small white moths flying around. About the size of your little finger nail. Those are the little bastids that lay the eggs that become worms.
Some years its worse than others, "BT Worm spray" is the best for them - and I use it prophylactically if I even think there's been a moth flying around my girls.

moth worms got many of my best colas this year, only took me not paying attention for a few days.

vigilance is a must, jd

Bud rot (botrytis) is a common issue I have, only in a couple of heads here and there, but by the time you notice it the damage is already done and it will spread like cancer. Early indicators to notice are when the leaves in you flower start to die or start curling or have a slight change in colour in comparison to the other leaves around and in your buds, smell is hard especially if there is only a little and you have a lot of air movement but you can smell it. Noticing this will not stop it as it starts from the inside out, but it can help slow down the spread to other plants and flowers. Once you notice it best off harvesting asap. :goodluck:

What Curiousnoob said.

It starts from the inside and you don't see the bud rot itself. I have got it many times due to the high humidity we have where I live. You want to look for sugar leaves that start to die. They first turn yellow and then brown. You want to find the yellow leaves. If you start getting brown leaves already the rot has gone far. Investigate your buds. If you find the odd yellow leaves, pull them out. If there's rot, the yellow leaves will come off very easily. You don't want to leave any dead materia in the bud. It will cause rot and mould. After you've pulled all yellow or brown leaves off, you need to bend the buds with your fingers as if breaking them apart but of course with less power, and see if they're healthy and firm or soft and break apart. If they break apart you'll see brown or gray patches of rot spreading from and along the stem. Cut all affected buds below the rot. All of the cut area should be green and firm, otherwise cut more. Save what you can from the bud tops you've cut, you'll have a bit of healthy bud at the top that you can start drying and enjoy before the harvest of the rest of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom