How to make a citric acid spray for bud rot?

5 grams of Citric Acid to 500 ml of water. The 500 ml comes out to close to a pint of water. Use a decent scale that can weigh in metric. I weighed out the Citric Acid by placing 1/4 teaspoons at a time on the scale and after putting 5 of the 1/4 teaspoons on the scale it came out to 5 grams. So, 1 and 1/4 teaspoons.

The Citric Acid that I found in a local supermarket is not a powder. It is finely ground crystals. I recommend that any new batch of Citric Acid be weighed out since the volume of 1 and 1/4 teaspoon could weigh differently depending on how finely ground it is. Keep the amount in the measuring spoon as level as possible to maintain a consistent method.

If the Bud Rot is already showing then the rotted area should be removed before spraying. If it was me I would then spray the entire plant even the remaining buds. The citric acid would create a hostile environment that reduces the possibility of any surviving mold or mildew from being able to start up again.
Thanks for this! Are you adding soap, too?

Thanks for this! Are you adding soap, too?
Yes, a couple of drops to a pint of water.

The soap can act as both a spreader like when it changes the surface tension and helps oils to mix into the water. It can also act as a sticker when it helps allow the citric acid mix to stick to the surface of the leaves and creates a hostile environment making it less likely that the spores will attach and harder for them to spread.

Just so happens that earlier this morning I mixed up a pint and will spraying as part of the weekly preventative even if I do not see signs of living mildew on any of the plants.

That must be stoned caterpillar,he got in there had a few bites and couldn’t find his way back out,,that or he now thinks he’s the Hooka smoken caterpillar from Jefferson airplanes (go ask Alice)
I have had caterpillars or adult insects show up and eat part of a finger on a leaf on outdoor plants and then go away never to come back.

White Rabbit, written by Grace Slick, is one of my wife's favorite songs from that era. Now I am tempted to go to youtube and listen to her performance from Woodstock. Do you remember the reference to the white rabbit in the first Matrix movie?

Back
Top Bottom