How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

420 Motoco,

I read through your initial posts and regardless of the extraction method (you do cold and fast and I do slow and hot) I do have some suggestions based on scientific and common sense data to increase yield and decrease the amount of solvent that you use.

I got an ounce of white russian that I will be turning into oil. The customer has Parkinson's and already said he does not want THC so I'll be decarbing the THC out of it on purpose, 250*F for 51 minutes. This gets rid of the head high and makes the CBD more readily available without THC running interference.

A high CBD strain would be best since a 20% THC / 2% CBD strain if decarbed the way I intend becomes a 20% CBN / 2% CBD oil but alas its quite illegal here so we work with what we have. High CBD strains have very little value in the black market and I'm not growing yet. The best I can expect for me or customers who don't want get high are upper indica strains.

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Since I'm an amateur videographer I will be filming my extraction process and uploading the files to a fileshare. At the end I will tally the oil by weight to see how many grams I got. I'll have the first video by tonight.

Hey Lab Rat,

I've seen these decarbing heat charts many times, thank you. Of course you use less carrier you let it soak for an hour and pull out all the unwanteds along with the cannabinoids. If you like your method stick with it. I like mine. Your method of application sounds like strictly digesting the oil as your removing the THC, which by the way is needed to heal the gland that produces Dopamine which in most cases of Parkinson's causes tremors, full body spasm's etc. Apparently the patient with Parkinson's is planning on digesting the oil which is why you want to degrade the THC so he doesn't get euphoric. Not the proper method of healing digesting the oil. The heal is getting the cannabinoids THC and CBD CBN to the CB1 receptors not the CB2 receptors first.

High CBD strains have very little value in the market wether its legal or not. Most everything is for the euphoric crowd. People hear about CBD's taking care of pain, smoke it, doesn't do much euphoric so its a slow mover. You will also find that numbers are a guideline and doesn't mean they will turn out how you have them planned. Especially how the strains where grown. Looking forward to the vids.

420 Motoco,

I read through your initial posts and regardless of the extraction method (you do cold and fast and I do slow and hot) I do have some suggestions based on scientific and common sense data to increase yield and decrease the amount of solvent that you use.

I got an ounce of white russian that I will be turning into oil. The customer has Parkinson's and already said he does not want THC so I'll be decarbing the THC out of it on purpose, 250*F for 51 minutes. This gets rid of the head high and makes the CBD more readily available without THC running interference.

A high CBD strain would be best since a 20% THC / 2% CBD strain if decarbed the way I intend becomes a 20% CBN / 2% CBD oil but alas its quite illegal here so we work with what we have. High CBD strains have very little value in the black market and I'm not growing yet. The best I can expect for me or customers who don't want get high are upper indica strains.

Hi Lab

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Since I'm an amateur videographer I will be filming my extraction process and uploading the files to a fileshare. At the end I will tally the oil by weight to see how many grams I got. I'll have the first video by tonight.

Lab Rat, I've seen that chart, but 1 hr @ your temp will not convert all of the THC into CBN. What is converted, would never be 20% either. By even decarbing @ all, your still converting/omitting acids.
Also, why would you not use thc-a, in lieu of CBD's? Especially, if CBD is hard to come by. I feel you'd be better off using THCa if you want to lose the euphoria. Also, if dosing correctly, even a 20%+ THC should not get them high.
I'm not being argumentative, just looking for clarity.

First of all I do think decarbing the oil with a double boiler method is better and more accurate but since I'm pulling everything from the product I do have to be careful as heat creates solids and solids lower your yield. In the video I use my induction cooktop to decarb but only because I'm working with a small quantity.

CBDs have a very low evaporation temperature (356 degrees Fahrenheit) so very little actually gets through when smoked or even vaped. I don't let it soak for an hour; I let it soak for 24 hours. I bring the alcohol to a boil using very low heat; the alcohol I use evaporates at 168.8*F so I set my induction cooktop at 175*F and wait a few minutes. When it boils I set it to low heat for 5 minutes then turn off the heat, cover and let it sit.

cajuncelt, I have a tumor in my brainstem so I've messed around with no decarbing or decarbing less or decarbing more, tacking, tinctures, 1 day on, 1 day off, etc. CBD seems to "wake up" the numb left side of my body and also reduce the numbness so I can tell which oil helps me the most. At least in my case tacking or digesting does not change the type of effect I receive and only changes the absorbtion speed into the bloodstream.

THCa doesn't do as much as CBD. Some people prefer THC

Let me know what you think, perhaps you could decarb the oil if you winterize first but these people had to save to get the weed. They are not particularly rich so I want to give them the most for their investment.

For those that don't know what winterizing is; olive oil from the first squeeze is green and milky yet the one you buy in the store is clear and yellow. To achieve that its winterized. The oil is reduced to a certain temperature and refiltered.

The alcohol oil mix can be winterized, just put it in the freezer for 48 hours and pass it through a coffee filter. The cold will cause a lot of the solids (waxes, chlorophyll) to precipitate.

Understood on the 'one' hour comment, an oversight on my part. I understand why you pull everything out for a larger quantity but the quality is diminished. Personally I would rather do less of the purer concentrate than more of the diluted (plant wax, sugars, chlorophyll etc. I think what your doing in your county is noble and you should be proud.

Out of curiosity Lab Rat have you tried 'tacking' with cbd and thc combined? Also has your tumor been shrinking since using the oil? I would think 'tacking' would be much more beneficial as the cannabinoids get to the CB1 receptors quickly. You must be using Indica dominant to get as much CBD/CBN as you can. When tacking an Indica dominant there is a fine line on feeling the difference between digesting and tacking. Have you tried tacking a 50/50 strain? Besides the tumor by your stemcell do you have chronic pain? And I think you said your tumor was benign (great news) so has it improved shrinking?

Is there anyway you can get seeds into your country? Blackmarket, yes? Try to get a high CBD strain and start growing. The options open up so much more when you can blend.

Your approach to using what you have as far as what strains you have to work with is exactly what I would do also. I'd look for a super Indica and take the THC down to zero so the cbn/cbd would be maxed. Then I would blend that with the max THC super Indica. Most folks think they just need CBD (and in your case for the tumor, yes) but THC is the repairer of glands and organs, kills mutating cells. There is always repairing to be done in the body. Have you tried this?

First of all I do think decarbing the oil with a double boiler method is better and more accurate but since I'm pulling everything from the product I do have to be careful as heat creates solids and solids lower your yield. In the video I use my induction cooktop to decarb but only because I'm working with a small quantity.

CBDs have a very low evaporation temperature (356 degrees Fahrenheit) so very little actually gets through when smoked or even vaped. I don't let it soak for an hour; I let it soak for 24 hours. I bring the alcohol to a boil using very low heat; the alcohol I use evaporates at 168.8*F so I set my induction cooktop at 175*F and wait a few minutes. When it boils I set it to low heat for 5 minutes then turn off the heat, cover and let it sit.

cajuncelt, I have a tumor in my brainstem so I've messed around with no decarbing or decarbing less or decarbing more, tacking, tinctures, 1 day on, 1 day off, etc. CBD seems to "wake up" the numb left side of my body and also reduce the numbness so I can tell which oil helps me the most. At least in my case tacking or digesting does not change the type of effect I receive and only changes the absorbtion speed into the bloodstream.

THCa doesn't do as much as CBD. Some people prefer THC

Hey Lab Rat,

The video gets to 5 seconds and locks up. When trying to advance it shows nothing. I know the process. Yes, your getting a bigger extract but for me your method of extracting isn't the method I use for making concentrate for my patients. I'm not going to give a diluted product for treating serious aliments like cancer, MS, HIV or even chronic pain. Around Christmas as mentioned I'll be getting a tester and I'll do both methods and test the comparison of potency. The yields you mention (almost twice the amount) on paper is almost a 40% increase. So when you tout your extraction method as high yield it is that, but, its a diluted high yield. Its seems almost like the 'paste' that is being touted. Much more volume, much less potency. Although there is medicinal value,for me, its 'off topic' making the oil your method. Its more like 'green dragon' in my opinion. Although my method isn't an 'absolute' oil its the next best thing for making an excellent Cannabis concentrated oil.

Have you had your concentrate tested? Curious how much total CBD/CBN your talking about. So far over the last 3 years the highest CBN I've seen in a concentrate is 6.5%. You where talking 20% CBN. Was that s projected number crunching numbers or have you actually had this tested?

Please understand; not questioning your knowledge, but why do you choose volume over potency? To me it would be like adding sugar to your engine oil. I would rather take a half grain of rice dose of a higher concentrate than a full grain of rice that is diluted of things like plant wax and sugars. Green Dragon, Paste, tinctures etc., might be fine as a preventive maintenance dose but as mentioned especially in late stage cancers, brain surgery, etc. I want as high as potency in THC/CBD/CBN as I can get. Also do you know that simply digesting the oil is only like taking man made meds? Once you build a tolerance to the oil it becomes less effective?

Until you can start growing you are at the mercy of local growers, growing medicinally is different from growing for the euphoric crowd. Its a crapshoot relying on other growers, especially how they grow. Hopefully you can start your own grow soon so at least your can grow it the way you want it.

Let me know what you think, perhaps you could decarb the oil if you winterize first but these people had to save to get the weed. They are not particularly rich so I want to give them the most for their investment.

Hiker, I feel the knowledge of your strains & applying that to medicinal uses is critical. All weed is not alike & can even be opposite.
Your ability to control the medicine's healing properties with that knowledge is a priority.
When you decide what you want the meds to do & make you feel, it's a matter of what jar to empty.
Remember to, indica does not always equal CBD. Good CBD strains are getting easier to find.
We can probably all help w/ strain selections.

I didn't realize how important this was until I couldn't stay awake/motivated at work (indica) & was the Tasmanian devil late at night with thoughts spinning & energy (sativa).

I am working with these strains currently:
TGA's Apollo13xVortex
AK-48
RQ's Critical
Blueberry
Bubba Kush

I've listed them in the order of more mental high that keeps you up and active, to the more body high. Or maybe it's just the order I think they make me "high" :blalol: I just noticed that the list is the same as if you asked for my current favorites. :rofl:

I would like to get all my strains tested, but that's not been a priority yet. I'm still trying to finish building out my growing area, but that's just about done. (lol really it's never 'done' for a tinkerer :biglaugh: ) Once this last phase is done, I'll be perpetual and have a consistent supply to make oil with.

Then there is the issue of alcohol to deal with. I have a buddy up north with a still. It has a 4 foot column, so it might be able to make some pretty pure alcohol. He's hard to reach, but I finally got a hold of him and made some plans to go hunting next month. If I can use his still to turn 90 proof into 190 proof, I'll be a happy man.

Spot on cajuncelt; strain selection is a priority and when healing using cannabis oil you learn this rather quickly.

Pick a favorite daytime (sativa dominant) harvest at peak THC. Pick a high CBD strain (most are 75% Sativa dominant) take full term (12 week flower). Indica; landrace strain or as close as possible grown full term. OG's are not my favorite for making oil as they tend to be on the Indica dominant side. If you use them for daytime and its not quite the 'up' you want during the day not much you can do to change that. With these three strains you can blend anyway you want to feel exactly how you want to while healing your aliments. AK-47 makes a decent daytime oil. A final note; when growing your strains consistently your meds are consistent, and when your meds are consistent your 'head' is consistent and it makes for a much faster heal. Always make sure your high THC strain is a race horse. Reason being when you grown your high CBD strain to full term (max CBD) its not as uppity so you need as much up to blend it correctly for daytime. To much up? Then add a tad of Indica to tone it down. Find your 'select' blends and your off and running. A lot of folks can save a boatload finding the strains that work for them.

Sorry about the re-post Hiker, you explained to me before brother, apologies for asking again. I just wanted to point out as cajuncelt also mentioned, growing to make the concentrate is different from growing for recreational. Just wanted to make sure you won't be scanning channels at night till the wee morning hours or head slamming during the day :) so when your ready you have a good idea what to use. With your grow knowledge making your meds will be a breeze.

I think my list above would be my guess of most 'daytime' to 'nightime' strains.
I'll just have to get a lot of feedback from my wife to help develop the best blends for her. :thumb:
For those that don't know what winterizing is; olive oil from the first squeeze is green and milky yet the one you buy in the store is clear and yellow. To achieve that its winterized. The oil is reduced to a certain temperature and refiltered.

The alcohol oil mix can be winterized, just put it in the freezer for 48 hours and pass it through a coffee filter. The cold will cause a lot of the solids (waxes, chlorophyll) to precipitate.

hmmmm had not heard of this

I always thought winterizing was when you took oil extracted with one solvent and then use another solvent to remove the traces from the first one. I'm pretty knew to this, so I may have misunderstood. :Namaste:

Hi Hiker,

This link explains everything from A-Z on the concentrates and then some. Pharm | Search Results | Skunk Pharm Research LLC . Winterizing, the infamous decarboxylation chart (which by the way isn't that accurate to me as it varies on water content, the amount of oil your decarboxylating, ambient temperature, etc. This is my trusted site as well as others for intel on the concentrates. These guys have been doing it for a long long time. Everything is listed to the right. When peeps make shattered glass they use alcohol in the finishing stages for BHO, CO2, Hexane to help remove any chems because the alcohol burns off at a higher temperature, changes the chemical composer, hence, shattered glass.

Your strains are a nice selection.

I am working with these strains currently:
TGA's Apollo13xVortex
AK-48
RQ's Critical
Blueberry
Bubba Kush

I've listed them in the order of more mental high that keeps you up and active, to the more body high. Or maybe it's just the order I think they make me "high" :blalol: I just noticed that the list is the same as if you asked for my current favorites. :rofl:

I would like to get all my strains tested, but that's not been a priority yet. I'm still trying to finish building out my growing area, but that's just about done. (lol really it's never 'done' for a tinkerer :biglaugh: ) Once this last phase is done, I'll be perpetual and have a consistent supply to make oil with.

Then there is the issue of alcohol to deal with. I have a buddy up north with a still. It has a 4 foot column, so it might be able to make some pretty pure alcohol. He's hard to reach, but I finally got a hold of him and made some plans to go hunting next month. If I can use his still to turn 90 proof into 190 proof, I'll be a happy man.

I think my list above would be my guess of most 'daytime' to 'nightime' strains.
I'll just have to get a lot of feedback from my wife to help develop the best blends for her. :thumb:

hmmmm had not heard of this

I always thought winterizing was when you took oil extracted with one solvent and then use another solvent to remove the traces from the first one. I'm pretty knew to this, so I may have misunderstood. :Namaste:

Its like a lot of people add a certain number of drops of water to the alcohol/oil when evaporating to supposedly "promote evaporation" but they don't know why and just do it that way because they have always been told to do it.

If your temperature never exceeds 212*F it makes a lot of sense to add that liquid but way before decarb that water is going to evaporate so what's the purpose; the scientific reason to do it?

Lab Rat, i thought your goal in consuming the oil, would be to produce Ceramide & Cytochrome c to debulk your tumor. In sure you know, but these are produced by THC.

The relief you feel from CBD is due also to is anti-inflammatory properties, but isn't enough.

Go for the cure, not just relief. I could send some helpful info on cannabinoids & their treatment of tumors.

Bon chancè mon ami.

Please present scientific data to support your claims. THC does help with nausea, appetite control as well as having some analgesic and anti-tumoral effects CBD has just its been studied less.

Antitumor Effects of Cannabidiol, a Nonpsychoactive Cannabinoid, on Human Glioma Cell Lines

Cannabidiol inhibits human glioma cell migration through a cannabinoid receptor-independent mechanism

Pathways mediating the effects of ca... [Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and m... [FASEB J. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Look I'm not saying THC is bad, it has a lot of beneficial effects but being high all day long poses a problem and negatively affects the little balance that I have; that's why I take at night before bed.

I call what I have a tumor but in reality its a vascular mutation, more like a blood sack; so angiogenesis is very important.

Please present scientific data to support your claims. THC does help with nausea, appetite control as well as having some analgesic and anti-tumoral effects CBD has just its been studied less.

Antitumor Effects of Cannabidiol, a Nonpsychoactive Cannabinoid, on Human Glioma Cell Lines

Cannabidiol inhibits human glioma cell migration through a cannabinoid receptor-independent mechanism

Pathways mediating the effects of ca... [Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and m... [FASEB J. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Look I'm not saying THC is bad, it has a lot of beneficial effects but being high all day long poses a problem and negatively affects the little balance that I have; that's why I take at night before bed.

I call what I have a tumor but in reality its a vascular mutation, more like a blood sack; so angiogenesis is very important.

Absolutely, have a look at this one:

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the major active component of marijuana, induced apoptosis in C6.9 glioma cells, as determined by DNA fragmentation and loss of plasma membrane asymmetry. THC stimulated sphingomyelin hydrolysis in C6.9 glioma cells.

THC and N-acetylsphingosine, a cell-permeable ceramide analog, induced apoptosis in several transformed neural cells but not in primary astrocytes or neurons. Although glioma C6.9 cells expressed the CBI cannabinoid receptor, neither THC-induced apoptosis nor THC-induced sphingomyelin breakdown were prevented by SR141716, a specific antagonist of that receptor.

Results thus show that THC-induced apoptosis in glioma C6.9 cells may rely on a CBI receptor stimulation of sphingomyelin breakdown.

I'll provide 4 or 5 more if you like. I'll state up front that Motoco & I didn't just come up with the methods, regimen, protocols, etc.
I originally posted 8 more studies on THC & head/brain tumors, but it seemed overkill. If your serious & are willingly to change your mind based on scientific/medical information, I will barrage you with specific studies on your specific condition & the info we've tried to convey.

You seem as though your mind may be made up through your previous research/knowledge. I'm willingly to go deeper into this with you if you will be open to the info.

Hi Lab Rat,

cajuncelt is spot on but I would like to add; scientific evidence? Not on the 'gum' 'tacking' method. If there was we all wouldn't be here doing what we do, creating awareness.

What ever works for you works for you. We are not trying to tell you its this way or that way. Its your choice. If you tacked correctly with the strains your using no way you can tell whats going on.

You have no idea of the healing power because you cannot tell. Tacking Indica keeps you clear headed and relaxed while digesting indica has euphoric and relaxed. Your used to your dosing protocol. Thats fine. Guarantee its not the heal as canjuncelt mentioned.

A final mention also; so much research on line has been edited. Most of the scientific evidence if any does not have anything to do absorbing via the gums. 99.9% of research is talking about euphoric results, smoking, digesting, sub-lingual. Wonder why there is nothing about gum absorption?

If your serious about helping others medicinally including yourself, forget what you know and learn this method.

I know why they use water drops. I don't use water drops as my carrier doesn't require it.

To clarify; we are not telling you to do anything, only suggesting as we are concerned with anyone with serious aliments. Your scientifically orientated. Learn the 'tacking' method then you can figure out how it works. A final thought; if most scientific research is only in theories, most of the things discovered wouldn't of happened. Scientist design man-made meds, should be good, right?

Its like a lot of people add a certain number of drops of water to the alcohol/oil when evaporating to supposedly "promote evaporation" but they don't know why and just do it that way because they have always been told to do it.

If your temperature never exceeds 212*F it makes a lot of sense to add that liquid but way before decarb that water is going to evaporate so what's the purpose; the scientific reason to do it?

If I can find a way to heal without worsening the little balance that I have I'm all for it.

Motoco, quick question on decarbing the oil. If you have precise temperature control why use the double boiler method? I can only think that there really aren't really small induction pots but anyway I'll wait for your reply.

Hi Lab Rat,

Hey Lab Rat,

A precise temperature control is excellent for the double boiler method. Here is the big difference. Using a double boiler method you heat up the olive oil in the saucepan first and bring it to temp. In your case with the induction cooktop of course you need an induction approved saucepan which the one in the vid is perfect. First thing I do is put the measuring cup into the saucepan (before I cook down the oil and pour into the cup) and fill with olive oil about halfway up the measuring cup, then take the measuring cup out and wipe the olive oil off so its ready when the oil is cooked down. Once the oil comes up to temp (start off about 190-200 degrees so any left over alcohol from the cookdown will evaporate off first). Then I crank up the temp to 230 to get any water to boil off, then set the temp at 250 degrees to finish the decarb. Here is why its so efficient. Its the sides of the oil container and ambient temperature around the concentrate that makes for an efficient, fast decarb. Of course the bigger the batch the longer. On the norm decarbing an ounce of bud converted to oil takes about an half an hour. Again, much of this depends on the surrounding ambient temperature. Hopes this helps. Compare and see the difference.

You will find your healing process is so much faster Brother. Give it an honest effort and you will be rewarded immensely.

If I can find a way to heal without worsening the little balance that I have I'm all for it.

Motoco, quick question on decarbing the oil. If you have precise temperature control why use the double boiler method? I can only think that there really aren't really small induction pots but anyway I'll wait for your reply.

Very nice video's Lab Rat and you did an excellent job on instructions. Sweet.

I would like to point out Lab Rat your passion runs deep. Just what is needed in todays world of scammers and rip offs and so many twisted lies and misinformation on the web. Learn the correct heal and share with the peeps in your country. Your a smart man.

Peace

Cabela's 9" Jerky Gun on sale now for 19.99

we bought one of these to use as a press along with one of those stainless steel sink drain strainers that fits in the end perfectly.

doing a batch now (3 oz. of bud and 1.75 liter bottle of everclear.)

after pressing the wet original 3 oz (84 grams) through through the jerky gun i weighed it and what was left weighed 130 grams,

therefor there was 46 grams of un recovered everclear left in the bud, or approx 60cc.

Cabela's 9" Jerky Gun on sale now for 19.99

we bought one of these to use as a press along with one of those stainless steel sink drain strainers that fits in the end perfectly.

doing a batch now (3 oz. of bud and 1.75 liter bottle of everclear.)

after pressing the wet original 3 oz (84 grams) through through the jerky gun i weighed it and what was left weighed 130 grams,

therefor there was 46 grams of un recovered everclear left in the bud, or approx 60cc.

That is a great idea! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom