How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Budnoob's last post said something about traveling. He'll be back around. If not, we'll hogtie him and drag him back for updates on how he's doing and the rest of the family.

Talk about smell....I was making oil yesterday while a friend was on the roof cleaning my gutters (there are small oak trees sprouting in them LOL), and when he finished he came to the door and remarked on the smell he kept getting on the roof. Apparently the "aroma" was escaping through the roof vents.

:icon_roll

we have run at least 5 batches through the still.

making 3 oz batches using 1.75 liter of everclear per, we'll loose about 1 cup per batch, with approx 1/2 of that cup being boiled off in the double boiler.

before dumping the filtered liquid in the still, i fill the collection container and put a piece of scotch tape on the container with the top of the tape at the liquid level.

then watching during the distillation process for when the level in the collection container reaches about 1/3 up the tape there will be approx 1/2 cup of product left in the still to pour into your double boiler.

after 5 batches this still has paid for itself.

Hi smokedareefer :)
Have you used the Megahome distiller for making oil? It says it's limited to wine making only and not to be used with alcohol concentrations over 50%

:) Something smells good in the neighborhood.

Budnoob's last post said something about traveling. He'll be back around. If not, we'll hogtie him and drag him back for updates on how he's doing and the rest of the family.

Talk about smell....I was making oil yesterday while a friend was on the roof cleaning my gutters (there are small oak trees sprouting in them LOL), and when he finished he came to the door and remarked on the smell he kept getting on the roof. Apparently the "aroma" was escaping through the roof vents.

:icon_roll

making 3 oz batches using 1.75 liter of everclear per, we'll loose about 1 cup per batch, with approx 1/2 of that being boiled off in the double boiler.

before dumping the filtered liquid in the still, i fill the collection container and put a piece of scotch tape on the container with the top of the tape at the liquid level.

then watching during the distillation process for when the level in the collection container reaches about 1/3 up the tape there will be approx 1/2 cup of product left in the still to pour into your double boiler.

You lose 1c when you use a whole 1.75L bottle? That's cool!
I picked up a used distiller, much like the megahome, from a local secondhand shop. We were out with some friends and I happened to notice it and thought, "that looks an awful lot like one of those distillers." I think they were using it to distill drinking water. I talked them down to $40. :thumb:

I also discovered that I CAN get 190 proof Everclear locally. Apparently when WA changed it's laws a couple years ago this product became legal. Unfortunately, it's $75 for a 1.75L bottle. I think I can beat that if I have it shipped, but I'm still gonna work with my buddy. We played poker Friday night and he was telling us about his new 55g still. :)

making 3 oz batches using 1.75 liter of everclear per, we'll loose about 1 cup per batch, with approx 1/2 of that being boiled off in the double boiler.

:thanks: For that info smokedareefer. :)

Hiker,

the megahome i have has been modified to put out less wattage (350).

using a heat gun the temp in my still reads about 160 deg f. or the boiling point of alcohol.

i'm guessing the water still you have will be around the boiling point of water 212deg f. what difference that makes i'm not sure.

(your oil my be partially decarbed before it hits the double boiler) we need a whole lot more info and numbers about this thing called decarboxylation.

were paying $40.00/1.75 liter bottle.

You lose 1c when you use a whole 1.75L bottle? That's cool!
I picked up a used distiller, much like the megahome, from a local secondhand shop. We were out with some friends and I happened to notice it and thought, "that looks an awful lot like one of those distillers." I think they were using it to distill drinking water. I talked them down to $40. :thumb:

I also discovered that I CAN get 190 proof Everclear locally. Apparently when WA changed it's laws a couple years ago this product became legal. Unfortunately, it's $75 for a 1.75L bottle. I think I can beat that if I have it shipped, but I'm still gonna work with my buddy. We played poker Friday night and he was telling us about his new 55g still. :)

A proper decarboxylation process is 250 degrees. I start off at 190-200 degrees so all the alcohol is gone. As soon as that is done I kick it up to 250. When the oil is completely flat it is finished. No set time limit as ambient temperature comes into play.

Hiker,

the megahome i have has been modified to put out less wattage (350).

using a heat gun the temp in my still reads about 160 deg f. or the boiling point of alcohol.

i'm guessing the water still you have will be around the boiling point of water 212deg f. what difference that makes i'm not sure.

(your oil my be partially decarbed before it hits the double boiler) we need a whole lot more info and numbers about this thing called decarboxylation.

were paying $40.00/1.75 liter bottle.

looking at the skunk pharma chart i read that it takes 27 min at 252 deg f to reach full decarb.

Mooco, are you saying that simply hitting 250 deg with no movement your decarb is finished?

dosen't the time it's been at 250 dictate the percentage it's been decarbed?

A proper decarboxylation process is 250 degrees. I start off at 190-200 degrees so all the alcohol is gone. As soon as that is done I kick it up to 250. When the oil is completely flat it is finished. No set time limit as ambient temperature comes into play.

The famous chart, lol. That chart was actually posted on skunk pharmes by someone else. Here is the deal.Depends on how much you are decarbing, ambient temperature of the room. I've done experimenting on the decarboxylation process; like after the big bubbles stop it is peak THC, smaller bubbles to none full couchlock. Not for me. I pick my crop according to the trich colors and choose if I want peak THC, mid-term or full term. I make my oil the exact same way every time for consistency. Also as long as there is alcohol left over when decarbing take your hand held temp gauge and check the actual temperature of the oil and what your using in the double boiler. Its normally about 15 degrees cooler than the material used in the double boiler. When all the alcohol burns off then its any water, then the oil starts to decarb. I have seen the movement stop when the alcohol burns off, then after the water burns off, then the oil starts to decarb. So actual times vary and that is why when it completely stops moving (no little 'tits' on the surface) my oil is done. It is always very consistent. One learns there are many variables and the biggest is ambient temperature. In the winter (so. cal lol) I never use heat in the house, just dress warmer. This plays a huge part even using the double boiler method. Of course 100% (no water) it decarbs faster.

looking at the skunk pharma chart i read that it takes 27 min at 252 deg f to reach full decarb.

Mooco, are you saying that simply hitting 250 deg with no movement your decarb is finished?

dosen't the time it's been at 250 dictate the percentage it's been decarbed?

Hi Motoco

Let me first thank you for such a big help and useful info. I 'm sure you must have saved many lives by now. God bless you!
I have a question here about the plant. I have got the Sativa plant (it's really hard to get Indica here) and I'm planning to prepare it for my mother for her throat tumor. My question is the plant I have got is a bit dusty and is not very clean, I read somewhere that the buds/plant/starting material needs to be dry before the washing (with solvent) begins but can I clean the plant with water first so that the dust/dirt is washed away and then I wash them with the solvent(I'm using 99.8% IPA) or should I not do that? Please reply.

Hi Motoco

Let me first thank you for such a big help and useful info. I 'm sure you must have saved many lives by now. God bless you!
I have a question here about the plant. I have got the Sativa plant (it's really hard to get Indica here) and I'm planning to prepare it for my mother for her throat tumor. My question is the plant I have got is a bit dusty and is not very clean, I read somewhere that the buds/plant/starting material needs to be dry before the washing (with solvent) begins but can I clean the plant with water first so that the dust/dirt is washed away and then I wash them with the solvent(I'm using 99.8% IPA) or should I not do that? Please reply.

I recommend you wash any plant material before you make oil with it. I wash my buds as part of my harvest process now. The same logic applies to making oil. I don't want the stuff I'm washing off in my oil. Check out the link in my signature about Bud Washing.

This is at harvest time. Then you still need to cure the buds. To make oil you use very dry material. The good news is, washing buds at harvest actually makes them dry faster. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's been my experience and I've heard others report the same observation.

Also, if you can answer, Are you based in So.Cal?

Hi Gaurav,

Hiker answered your question about the flower rinsing. I am based in So. Cal. Indica (as close as you can get to pure) is hard to find. In So. Cal most everything is OG based. Thing is all I've seen is Indica dominant. When dosing at nighttime for a clean sleep the Sativa will show up and keep the wheels turning at night. Some of the strains like Blackberry Kush are heavy hitters but you can still feel the sativa keeping the wheels turning. Master Kush for an example is 95% Indica and grown full term keeps you asleep all night. If you need assistance with dosing, regimen for your mother let me know. Most important thing about using the oil is to learn how to dose it properly as it is of utmost importance to get started with both feet on the ground. Just for the record its 420 policy; 'no physical hook ups between members'.
Welcome to 420 Magazine and thank you for your kind words.

ps-if waiting for a response please use F5 to refresh your page to show a response. TY

420 Motoco

Looks awesome under your name bro.

Thank you Brother! Would you consider being my 'campaign' manager? :) You a good man cajuncelt!
BTW I'm busy all day today if you have a chance please keep on the lookout? Thanks Brother!

Back
Top Bottom