Humidity spike

Austinpalm36

Okay so I went to the beach for 2 damn nights and we had a heat wave and my humidity has been 50-60 for the last two days. My plant is halfway thru flower. Am I fucked. It definitely smells dingy in there. And I’m about to snap and give it all up and tear the bitch out the soil. Because I’m almost 100% positive that I’ve read you can’t let it get past 40%. I’m fucked aren’t I? Or screwed. My bad idk if swearing is aloud...

Hi there,
I'm growing at an rH of about 60% most of the time, all throughout flowering. Sometimes it's higher - 80-90%. 2 days should not cause a problem. For longer periods I'd recommend the extraction fan set at 100% at all times, loads of fans in the grow room making sure all flowers get some wind, and heavy defoliation.

My basement stays in the 35-45% range most of the winter. By early March, since the furnace does not come on as often, it slowly creeps up. By now it is constantly in the 50% range and when summer is in full swing it will go up to 55-60% and stay there....except for the dog days of August when the humidity can get up to 70%.

Basements have a tendency to stay somewhat more humid in the summer because they are below ground level. Plus, we are in an area of the county known for wet soil and a higher water table as it is. A dehumidifier in the growing room and one near the washing machine and the sump pump. It cuts down on that "dingy" smell as you called it. Also lowers the humidity in the basement a bit. But within an hour of turning the machine off the humidity creeps back up.

No need to panic. I had a couple of plants on the patio and the summer humidity outside is often a higher level than inside and those plants survived.

If it is mold you are worried about that stuff can take 2-4 weeks to get to the point where you would see it on the leaves. Half way through flower so you could spray with a basic organic solution as a preventative measure even if you do not see anything. Some people mix up milk and water, about as easy a homemade mix and certainly inexpensive.

and heavy defoliation.

This helps tremendously. Thinning them out cuts the number of leaves transpiring, and in turn helps curb humidity a good bit.

Of course like anything else, moderation is the key. ;)

I also use a basement to grow. Transition periods between seasons (spring/fall) can be a bitch. Not warm enough to justify turning the AC on, or not cool enough to turn the furnace on. So the house is subject to whatever nature decides to pitch us. Just gotta keep your eye on the ball and make good contact.

Exhaust the tent, and exhaust the room.

I have filters/fans on each tent, as well as a filter/fan that sucks air out of the room (from ceiling level where the warm air is) and expels it outside. This was a recent update to my main space, and has proven to be the right call.

This helps tremendously. Thinning them out cuts the number of leaves transpiring, and in turn helps curb humidity a good bit.

Of course like anything else, moderation is the key. ;)

I also use a basement to grow. Transition periods between seasons (spring/fall) can be a bitch. Not warm enough to justify turning the AC on, or not cool enough to turn the furnace on. So the house is subject to whatever nature decides to pitch us. Just gotta keep your eye on the ball and make good contact.

Exhaust the tent, and exhaust the room.

I have filters/fans on each tent, as well as a filter/fan that sucks air out of the room (from ceiling level where the warm air is) and expels it outside. This was a recent update to my main space, and has proven to be the right call.
I grow in a basement as well but I'm unable to vent out due to no windows and summer is bitch with humidity and temps how did you deal with it before you vented outside in your new update. I have a ac and dehumidifier but it just kills the room

You don't have to exhaust outdoors, just outside the room. Tons of ways to do that.

Pushing exhaust from the room will cause a negative pressure in the room (albeit slight) which will draw air from the rest of the house.

Before venting outside, I recirculated in winter and drew it out to another room when it was warm out.

You don't have to exhaust outdoors, just outside the room. Tons of ways to do that.

Pushing exhaust from the room will cause a negative pressure in the room (albeit slight) which will draw air from the rest of the house.

Before venting outside, I recirculated in winter and drew it out to another room when it was warm out.
Thanks for the advice brother! I bought some new ducting and cheap exhaust fan and started pushing the air out into another room and it helped tremendously! I was able to drop the temp by a solid 2-3°C! Much appreciated

Quite a lot of good info in this thread... very nice to see :Namaste:

Some times weather conditions or season of the year can effect the RH where you grow in doors depending how modern your house is ?

Mine is like 120 years old it is not that well sealed.

In general mainly in winter months i back up with a dehumidifier from mid to late flowering to keep RH tame.

Back
Top Bottom