Hydro Beginner

Craigeee

420 Member
Am trying for first time and am going Hydro using Ebb & Flo and starting with Northern Lights and just one plant. Anyway the CropKing guide says not to use nutrients for first 3 weeks but that may be just for soil, do not know. My research has stated to use smaller amounts of nutrients for the seedlings...do I go with the smaller amount rule or just use the water for the beginning seedlings? Thank you...

I hope it goes well, first time for me. I am currently working on the grow room setup and hope to start the germination process next week. I am using 3/4" plywood for 3 panels approx. 30" wide by 88" high which will be covered with mylar sheet in my utility room, an 18 gallon reservoir tank and a 10 gallon grow tank and an LED panel overhead. I am only planning on doing one plant at a time.

I hope it goes well, first time for me. I am currently working on the grow room setup and hope to start the germination process next week. I am using 3/4" plywood for 3 panels approx. 30" wide by 88" high which will be covered with mylar sheet in my utility room, an 18 gallon reservoir tank and a 10 gallon grow tank and an LED panel overhead. I am only planning on doing one plant at a time.
I'm not doing hydro but you can check out my grow room build in my links. Let me know if I can help.

I would personally recommend bathroom drywall or tile backer rather than plywood for fire safety. If you seal up the drywall and coat with a quality exterior white paint it works fine and way less fire risk. I built mine with fire code rated 5/8 drywall. In theory it could burn every combustible material in the room and not spread. (At least thats the idea.)

Thanks for that, I had already decided to drop the plywood idea as I found it to be too heavy and cumbersome. I wanted something I could disassemble easily and instead have decided to go with a 3-sided 3/4" PVC frame to which I would just duct tape the mylar sheets to. I am suspending the grow light and exhaust fan from the ceiling supports. The PVC frame would not have any load bearing weight and would be light and easy to disassemble afterwards. Since it would only be 3-sided with the front open I figured I could just rotate the pot a quarter turn each day if necessary. How does this idea sound?

I am at day 4, 5/5 seeds had roots, put 4 into Rapid Rooters in 3" cup into Dixie cups under 24 hr LED light at approx. 36" height and watering 3 times/day. Starting next week I will choose best of 4 and start nutrients in Ebb & Flow system. I was going to insert a pic but not sure how to do that.

I would personally recommend bathroom drywall or tile backer rather than plywood for fire safety. If you seal up the drywall and coat with a quality exterior white paint it works fine and way less fire risk. I built mine with fire code rated 5/8 drywall. In theory it could burn every combustible material in the room and not spread. (At least thats the idea.)
Green board it’s moisture resistant

I did not use the plywood, instead I built a frame using PVC pipe and wrapped mylar film around that. That way the 'grow tent' is light and easily disassembled. I hung an LED grow light from the ceiling joist and will do the same when it is time to put up a carbon filter.

Back
Top Bottom