I suck at growing

TheFertilizer

Seriously I have been doing this for a few years now and still only manage to get about 1-1.5 oz per plant max. I see people talking about lbs per plant and I feel like I just suck at this. I have got a lot of advice which usually ends in, "I don't know why you're not getting more."

It's really disheartening. I'm getting tired of it. It's gone from a cool hobby to a total chore I just need to complete to get medicine.

*Puts on "Ain't No Sunshine" and weeps*

Lol but seriously anyone else ever get stuck not improving?

The most important thing that I had to understand was that I don't see the plant in the same way as others, I described this as not seeing something was wrong and in how a Mother would see and sense that a child was getting sick and needed to be watched. I'm very good and well proven in my own trade to the point of being able to teach the skills especially to those who are not so quick on the uptake but as far as growing this weed and anything in the ground and living then I'm a total ass, it has to be explained twice or more.....so I read in here every day, I take notes, I try to get into the mind of the knowledgeable dude making the posting... slowly it's working and I begin to try and answer to myself how a particular grower-adviser will respond. I reckon I'm about 20% correct in each answer now. So I'm getting there. And my past grow failures help now when I'm teaching my own trade to others.

get about 1-1.5 oz per plant max. I see people talking about lbs per plant

Are you only growing your plants to one, maybe one-and-a-half square feet in area? That'd keep your production per plant low, but one assumes you'd then make up for it by growing more plants. If someone is getting at least two pounds from each of their plants (as per your statement, above), they're certainly not doing so with plants that are kept small.

There is a lot of good advice out on the forums, and there is an equal amount of bad advice too. Usually those giving the bad advice are louder than those advising correctly.
When you are deciding whether or not one person is right over another, check out their grow journals and if they have written anything on the subject worth reading. See how many follows one has over the other. With a little bit of sleuthing, you can usually figure out who is blowing hot air and who is telling you the truth.

Are you only growing your plants to one, maybe one-and-a-half square feet in area? That'd keep your production per plant low, but one assumes you'd then make up for it by growing more plants. If someone is getting at least two pounds from each of their plants (as per your statement, above), they're certainly not doing so with plants that are kept small.
It's been a mix of different screw ups. I think one part of the problem is I continually try new things. But I have done 3 gallon pots of FFHF with GH nutrients a handful of times, got pretty use to it, but that's where I am maxing out at 1-1.5 oz.

I tried 4x 5 gallon pots once, but then also tried some LOS I mixed up and for lower yield than usual. But I also tried to scrog for the first time on that run, and the second run in that soil, it was not doing well. Not to mention a different strain.

I once put a single plant on 7 gallons and tried to scrog it. But then I stupidly cut off about all it's bud sites. So even in that huge pot with all that work, I still ended up with MAYBE two ounces.

I did more pots the last run like you suggested, and got a better overall yield, but I have a plant limit so I can't just add more pots to compensate.

Meanwhile 5 gallon pots or larger broke my back. Literally, I have a herniated disc now. So I'm sticking with 3s lately knowing if I went bigger I might get more, but so I take the risk and the extra back pain?

That got me thinking about coco or perlite... Much lighter and the yields are supposed to be higher anyways, but I wonder if switching to something totally new all the time is what's actually holding me back.

Brown thumb syndrome?

I took a quick look at your current journal. I don't have a clue as to why you are getting such low yields.

I've had a bad back for over forty years. It's no fun at all. I'm sticking to two foot depths for my grow space for now. It makes it easier to maintain my plants. I'm considering making a 2' X 6' X 7' movable closet for growing, as I usually grow four plants at a time. They get crowded in that 2 X 4.

Here's hoping your yields increase. :goodluck:

Brown thumb syndrome?

I took a quick look at your current journal. I don't have a clue as to why you are getting such low yields.

I've had a bad back for over forty years. It's no fun at all. I'm sticking to two foot depths for my grow space for now. It makes it easier to maintain my plants. I'm considering making a 2' X 6' X 7' movable closet for growing, as I usually grow four plants at a time. They get crowded in that 2 X 4.

Here's hoping your yields increase. :goodluck:
Yeah jeez bending over to get to that 2 feet of space in the back is killer. That's one reason I gave up on scrog, it was just too hard to get to the plants in back.

Too bad I already have two 4x4s

I just remembered (<DUH!> - it's the first link in your .SIG :rolleyes: ) that you started the "Candlelight Club" thread. I haven't been keeping up with it (apologies; too many threads), so I'm not sure of what your lighting consists of and the size/shape/conditions of your grow space. But if you're running relatively low wattage lighting and/or trying to cover too large an area with it, then you won't be seeing stellar numbers.

Strain selection is a factor. Some strains are considered to be better producers than others. Equatorial strains need a lot of light, and will still tend to produce less than "the average" strain. A lot of what I'd consider head-stash material isn't going to win any awards for high yields. Some strains tolerate relatively high temperatures well, but do poorly when temperatures drop (or vice versa).

Knowing your nutrients completely is important; what the contents of each bottle/sack contribute (and in what ratio), how the pH is affected when you add n amount of each, et cetera. Knowing you plant is also important. There's the general health stuff - being able to spot (and, hopefully, learn to avoid) and correct deficiencies and toxicities of the various macro- & micro-nutrients and understanding pH. A knowledge of the specific strain - and phenotype - that you are growing is important, too. There might be minor differences nutritional needs. Knowing how it grows enables you to use the best growing method/style (taking into account your specific knowledge/skill level, lighting, et cetera) for that specific plant.

If there is something lacking in your environment, be it lighting, temperature, nutrient, etc., it'll negatively affect yield. You'll have that, lol - but it's important to have as few of these as possible. If you are "jumping around" from strain to strain, different growing styles, different nutrient mixes (or brands(!)), soil/hydroponics... Well, that seems like the mental equivalent to trying to learn how to swim in a giant clothes washer while it is in operation. Not really, but...

If you want to try different nutrients, use the same strain with each. If you want to try different strains, use the same nutrient brand (you'll make minor adjustments, of course). If you want to try a different growing style, use the same plant and nutrients. This is how one improves - and develops the ability to do as well as can be expected in each set of conditions he/she encounters. It takes time.

Or you can just pick strains / lighting / nutrients / training methods / type of grow more or less at random. It can be fun ;) . You'll probably do okay. But the odds of "scoring tens" won't be great. And if you do, the likelihood of being able to do so again if handed a different strain wouldn't be good, either. You can still get better over time, but it'll probably take longer (IMHO).

The above are general statements.

It's been a mix of different screw ups. I think one part of the problem is I continually try new things. But I have done 3 gallon pots of FFHF with GH nutrients a handful of times, got pretty use to it, but that's where I am maxing out at 1-1.5 oz.

I tried 4x 5 gallon pots once, but then also tried some LOS I mixed up and for lower yield than usual. But I also tried to scrog for the first time on that run, and the second run in that soil, it was not doing well. Not to mention a different strain.

I once put a single plant on 7 gallons and tried to scrog it. But then I stupidly cut off about all it's bud sites. So even in that huge pot with all that work, I still ended up with MAYBE two ounces.

I did more pots the last run like you suggested, and got a better overall yield, but I have a plant limit so I can't just add more pots to compensate.

Meanwhile 5 gallon pots or larger broke my back. Literally, I have a herniated disc now. So I'm sticking with 3s lately knowing if I went bigger I might get more, but so I take the risk and the extra back pain?

That got me thinking about coco or perlite... Much lighter and the yields are supposed to be higher anyways, but I wonder if switching to something totally new all the time is what's actually holding me back.

Try coco. it's worth a shot.

I think you should take yer strains that your hitting 1 and 1.5 zips and try coco. You'll see an increase I suspect.

I also think, it took me about, 30 or so strains grown to find which produced for me. It takes years to find good keepers.

I used to work at a cannabis supply store few years back and was using doc buds kit hitting 4 zips max from my best strains. I had people coming in the store talking about hitting a pound or more,, all using coco. I thought to myself they were exaggerating a little,, telling me a little fish story.

I eventually made the switch and saw what they were talking about.

That, and I built one of the best rooms possible using some really good lights.

But, switching to coco made a big difference.

I'm working with a former soil grower right now. I met him at work. And he told me he's never harvested more then 2 zips... I've given him my genetics, some of my old leds, and even got the guy free nutes from a very big line or company
. And switched him to coco. And he's going to harvest half a pound on one plant, easy, with not much training.

So my advice if your chasing yield is...

1. Genetics, genetics, genetics.
2. Coco, coco, coco - or some form of hydro.
3. Great lights.

I just remembered (<DUH!> - it's the first link in your .SIG :rolleyes: ) that you started the "Candlelight Club" thread. I haven't been keeping up with it (apologies; too many threads), so I'm not sure of what your lighting consists of and the size/shape/conditions of your grow space. But if you're running relatively low wattage lighting and/or trying to cover too large an area with it, then you won't be seeing stellar numbers.

Strain selection is a factor. Some strains are considered to be better producers than others. Equatorial strains need a lot of light, and will still tend to produce less than "the average" strain. A lot of what I'd consider head-stash material isn't going to win any awards for high yields. Some strains tolerate relatively high temperatures well, but do poorly when temperatures drop (or vice versa).

Knowing your nutrients completely is important; what the contents of each bottle/sack contribute (and in what ratio), how the pH is affected when you add n amount of each, et cetera. Knowing you plant is also important. There's the general health stuff - being able to spot (and, hopefully, learn to avoid) and correct deficiencies and toxicities of the various macro- & micro-nutrients and understanding pH. A knowledge of the specific strain - and phenotype - that you are growing is important, too. There might be minor differences nutritional needs. Knowing how it grows enables you to use the best growing method/style (taking into account your specific knowledge/skill level, lighting, et cetera) for that specific plant.

If there is something lacking in your environment, be it lighting, temperature, nutrient, etc., it'll negatively affect yield. You'll have that, lol - but it's important to have as few of these as possible. If you are "jumping around" from strain to strain, different growing styles, different nutrient mixes (or brands(!)), soil/hydroponics... Well, that seems like the mental equivalent to trying to learn how to swim in a giant clothes washer while it is in operation. Not really, but...

If you want to try different nutrients, use the same strain with each. If you want to try different strains, use the same nutrient brand (you'll make minor adjustments, of course). If you want to try a different growing style, use the same plant and nutrients. This is how one improves - and develops the ability to do as well as can be expected in each set of conditions he/she encounters. It takes time.

Or you can just pick strains / lighting / nutrients / training methods / type of grow more or less at random. It can be fun ;) . You'll probably do okay. But the odds of "scoring tens" won't be great. And if you do, the likelihood of being able to do so again if handed a different strain wouldn't be good, either. You can still get better over time, but it'll probably take longer (IMHO).

The above are general statements.
Yeah this last run I had (link in sig) went off the rails pretty quick. I had intended to squish all my plants into a 3x3 space and SOG under a 315W CMH but I didn't flip to 12/12 fast enough and ended up with 3 ft tall plants. I took my T5 I normally use in the opposite tent for clones and veg plants, and hung it as side lighting to get the under-canopy. If I had not added that light, I am sure I would have gone below my average.

I still want to try to shrink my footprint and get the SOG in hopes that the light intensity will help, but I don't know how that will pan out. At 3 ft and with 515 watts they got 1 oz per plant, so if I shrink them to 1 or 2 feet high with only the 315 I feel like the added light intensity wouldn't be enough to overcome the smaller plant size and I would just get 1 oz off smaller plants--if that. But maybe if I hung both side by side (so they're both above the plants), and did an SOG with the 515 combined-watts it would be a different story.

So I don't know if I ought to try to correct what I did wrong with the SOG and try again, or just replicate the last grow and try to do better at it.

I wanted to do SOG for increased light intensity and more manageable pot size, but also because I can cut veg time off, and need that because I need my next run to finish before the weather gets warmer. It gets way too hot in here to have anything going in the summer.

Anyway I think I clued in to the consistency you're talking about a while ago, but haven't found a strain I really liked and could keep cycling. The Panama x Malawi grow for example, I didn't manage to get a clone of one of them, nor could I manage to make my soil mix again.

This ATF has been good to me though and I believe I can actually get a cycle going with it. I have done one outdoor and one indoor and have clones going for a second indoor now. You helped me out in another thread figuring out how to keep a cut of it in "stasis" for the summer.

I am planning to keep going with this cut, this soil and these nutrients and focus on other variables for now. Just unsure of what is something that's good to correct for a second run, and what is too much of a change up.

For example I noticed that this cut gets really calcium hungry, and so I amended the Happy Frog it was in with some Seabird Guano for extra calcium. Seems like a reasonable correction, but then on the other hand is running the HF two cycles instead of one introduction too many variables? I have ran HF two runs in a row before with no problem, but maybe I should get fresh bags and amend those, or just unamended and use more CalMag... There's a lot of ways to second guess myself.

I think you should take yer strains that your hitting 1 and 1.5 zips and try coco. You'll see an increase I suspect.

I also think, it took me about, 30 or so strains grown to find which produced for me. It takes years to find good keepers.

I used to work at a cannabis supply store few years back and was using doc buds kit hitting 4 zips max from my best strains. I had people coming in the store talking about hitting a pound or more,, all using coco. I thought to myself they were exaggerating a little,, telling me a little fish story.

I eventually made the switch and saw what they were talking about.

That, and I built one of the best rooms possible using some really good lights.

But, switching to coco made a big difference.

I'm working with a former soil grower right now. I met him at work. And he told me he's never harvested more then 2 zips... I've given him my genetics, some of my old leds, and even got the guy free nutes from a very big line or company
. And switched him to coco. And he's going to harvest half a pound on one plant, easy, with not much training.

So my advice if your chasing yield is...

1. Genetics, genetics, genetics.
2. Coco, coco, coco - or some form of hydro.
3. Great lights.
Yeah I think I have the genetics down finally, but lighting will always present a challenge for me since I have a very limited electrical setup. I'm on a 30 amp glass fuse for my entire household, so the watts add up quick. But my CMH and T5 did a pretty good job on this last cycle despite my utterances failure of training them right.

I think I am in the same spot you were being dubious about reported coco yields. It just seems insane the differences. However I have been playing with this strain for a bit and grew it in a DWC like setup and noticed it had much more rapid growth so I do think the medium could be holding me back. I have always wanted to try Doc Buds kit, but all the soil mixing and storage becomes a little more than I can handle.

Maybe I should do a side-by-side the same exact way I did my last cycle, but with different mediums. 3 soil, 3 coco, 3 hempy-perlite. These are just the 3 ways most sustainable for me I think. Then see which does better (averaged over 3 plants) and see if that tells me something meaningful?

The problem I have with that idea is I have grown soil way more often, so if I do poorly in coco or hempy-perlite how do I know it's the medium and not me being a novice with it?

Anyway I am rambling a bit. But these are the more strategy-related questions I have never asked. I feel like I know how to grow the plant, just not how to grow a good crop.

At the least I can say I have always been happy with the quality.

Trust me you'll get the coco methods down, and I'd recommend doing a side x side. I do those as often as possible. You only know what you know.... good luck bro. Keep at it!

There is a lot of good advice out on the forums, and there is an equal amount of bad advice too. Usually those giving the bad advice are louder than those advising correctly.
When you are deciding whether or not one person is right over another, check out their grow journals and if they have written anything on the subject worth reading. See how many follows one has over the other. With a little bit of sleuthing, you can usually figure out who is blowing hot air and who is telling you the truth.
Emilya. I respect your growing skills and the fact that you stand up for what you believe in but whats the point in this post?. EVERYBODY here is trying to help everybody. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion and is entitled to share it. This post is just aimed to antagonise and belittle the 420 community.
If you cant see that then maybe youd be more comfortable on another forum.
As for your problem @TheFertilizer ill happily come over to your grow and have a looksy on my lunch break at work (unless im one of the mentioned guys blowing hot air which im sure you will be told whether or not i am)

Emilya. I respect your growing skills and the fact that you stand up for what you believe in but whats the point in this post?. EVERYBODY here is trying to help everybody. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion and is entitled to share it. This post is just aimed to antagonise and belittle the 420 community.
As for your problem @TheFertilizer ill happily come over to your grow and have a looksy on my lunch break at work (unless im one of the mentioned guys blowing hot air which im sure you will be told whether or not i am)
Bilbo, everyone but me is entitled to their opinions... got it. I am not trying to belittle the 420 community and never would... there are gobs of very talented growers on this site who have my utmost respect and admiration. There are also some people giving bad advice on this forum and I can not sit on my hands without at least trying to set things straight when I see this or as I did here, advise a new member how to figure out who is giving good and who is giving bad information.
I am not intending to antagonize anyone and I try very hard not to do what you have done here, and personally attack any individual member. Apparently my opposition to popular pH advice and advice to not successively uppot, offends certain members to the point that they lose their ability to be civil when I offer advice contrary to the methods they are trying to promote.
Tell me please how personally attacking a member and suggesting that I should leave the forum is meeting this community standard that you speak of? Please get over yourself. If you don't agree with something that I say, offer a counter argument. Don't attack me personally in the public forum. If you have a beef with me personally, send me a PM and we can try to work it out.

Bilbo, everyone but me is entitled to their opinions... got it. I am not trying to belittle the 420 community and never would... there are gobs of very talented growers on this site who have my utmost respect and admiration. There are also some people giving bad advice on this forum and I can not sit on my hands without at least trying to set things straight when I see this or as I did here, advise a new member how to figure out who is giving good and who is giving bad information.
I am not intending to antagonize anyone and I try very hard not to do what you have done here, and personally attack any individual member. Apparently my opposition to popular pH advice and advice to not successively uppot, offends certain members to the point that they lose their ability to be civil when I offer advice contrary to the methods they are trying to promote.
Tell me please how personally attacking a member and suggesting that I should leave the forum is meeting this community standard that you speak of? Please get over yourself. If you don't agree with something that I say, offer a counter argument. Don't attack me personally in the public forum. If you have a beef with me personally, send me a PM and we can try to work it out.
Yes you are entitled to your opinion but ive seen on more than one occasion you get on your high horse and do exactly this. Not sure what you mean about your PH and uppotting comment tbh like i said its not the things you are saying or the opinions you are giving its the way you give those opinions.
More than one occasion ive seen you "push" your opinions on people and flatout belittle anyone else trying to give theirs.
This is not an isolated incident. Ive held my tongue a number of occasions even to a point where i havent given ny opinion to new members cos you're already in the thread stinking it up with bad vibes.
Everyone here knows i wouldnt bite unless theres a reason too and this is the straw that broke the camels back unfortunately

The only run in you n i actually had was when you jumped straight in 2 footed telling people they are wrong until i told you read the post properly n had to back track. If you've been pulled up on this stuff before which is the feeling i got from your reply then maybe you should look for the common denominator

If you took offense to that you probably are one of the loud ones lol. With the amount she's contributed she can say what ever the hell she wants. Maybe you'd like a new forum.?

If you took offense to that you probably are one of the loud ones lol. With the amount she's contributed she can say what ever the hell she wants. Maybe you'd like a new forum.?
Just because some contributes to this community doesnt give them the right to belittle or chase other members away all because she thinks their giving bad advice. Everyone here contributes to this community and if we all had that attitude there would be no community.

Dunno who took the jam outta your doughnut but na im cool where im at. Like i said i stay quiet but now i dont feel i should.
Never heard of her until a couple months ago when she was talking trash mate.
I aint no bully and i am always polite, respectful and will listen to others opinions.

Back
Top Bottom