Icemann420 Grows LSD 25 From Fast Buds In DWC

I get the sense my posts weren’t read completely.
it just didn’t line up to sea salt killed plants which I saw in this thread and started our convo. Not really looking for links to articles
I get the sense you didn't read my post completely because I posted a link to an article that says sea salt is good for plants. Does that help? It's table/rock salt that kills plants, not sea salt.

I get the sense you didn't read my post completely because I posted a link to an article that says sea salt is good for plants. Does that help? It's table/rock salt that kills plants, not sea salt.

From the article it sounds like it is best used as a mixed foliar spray and not a soil amendment... be interesting to see what you discover @Growca2268

Yeah we’ll maybe I don’t know how to read, Shed *throws book on the floor and storms out crying*

Must’ve just got our wires crossed, or maybe we’re just both defensive assholes who like the last word :)

But at any rate, I’m actually going to change course altogether and use Sohum as my medium. Just talked to a guy who sees/ works with some of the biggest grows in the country and he sold me on its ease of use in the Auto Pots, enough so that I’m abandoning all previous plans.

What I could use guidance on...is I thought Emylia mentioned perlite on top of soils provides a dry barrier for fruit flies/ gnat prevention. Did I understand that correctly, or is just anything on top that’s dry/ prevents access will work? Haven’t touched soil indoors in forever, and typically don’t even let any in my house, so any insight for proactive bug prevention would be helpful (including doing stuff to the soil when it arrives before I even bring it inside - if applicable).

I'm pretty sure gnats will walk right through perlite. If you want a soil barrier I'd try Gnatnix. DE will work as well, except when it's wet so you have to keep reapplying after the top of the soil dries out.
Thanks, just checked SoHum’s site and they recommend DE as well. This will be going in AutoPots, so no top watering or reapplying. Had never heard of this stuff, but the guy I talked to said he’s seen some very impressive results (and at scale), and I found a video that seems to show that too. Very curious to see how things pan out.

Oyster shell, knew there had to be a shell. How does that impact pH. Dramatically raise or no?

Good on the discussion thing. What I'm here for. I like to be challenged - kinda used to it now anyways? lol

Oytster Shell flour - I don't think its going to change the pH much but long term it will raise the soil pH very slightly. In a container prolly a little more than slightly, but thinking still not much. Factoid... like your sea salt, oyster shell flour is actually collected from an ancient sea bed deposit of oyster shells. I think from San Francisco bay actually.

Sea salt is a thing. Still is. Look up "salt road" - I think that's how cannabis made its way into the into the Himalayas and into Central Asia. Truck some salt on a yak and come back with cannabis. Win win - try not to go empty handed. lol I'm full of myself tonight. Been trimming for 8 hrs today.

Check out Gypsum.

Food grade Gypsum wont change your pH and some of the Ca is water soluble.

Also brings soluble Sulfur into the merriment.

Ca is pretty much not very soluble.

Here's a link about the science and how it works. In soil its a great amendment and I use it, but not sure how it works in a soil-less medium, not my bally-wick.

Gypsum: an old product with a new use | Integrated Crop Management

If you want a liquid form of soluble Ca - egg shells ground into vinegar + wait.

There's a write up by @Emilya on how to make it.

Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

Prolly what you need right there ^^^^

There's other ways too.

Compost tea is for sure a great way. <-- You get a full Monte there.

Must’ve just got our wires crossed, or maybe we’re just both defensive assholes who like the last word :)

Hoooold on there buddy. <stomps around in circles thinking up some last words>

What were we talking about? :passitleft:

Edit: My journal has some info in auto-pots. Just skip to the end for the pics.

You going to go soil-less in Auto-Pots? What size?

Edit 2: fans on the soil line = gnats in the corner. Been running auto-pots for years and no, zero, nada gnats.

I run 7.5gal and 4gal

Good on the discussion thing. What I'm here for. I like to be challenged - kinda used to it now anyways? lol

Oytster Shell flour - I don't think its going to change the pH much but long term it will raise the soil pH very slightly. In a container prolly a little more than slightly, but thinking still not much. Factoid... like your sea salt, oyster shell flour is actually collected from an ancient sea bed deposit of oyster shells. I think from San Francisco bay actually.

Sea salt is a thing. Still is. Look up "salt road" - I think that's how cannabis made its way into the into the Himalayas and into Central Asia. Truck some salt on a yak and come back with cannabis. Win win - try not to go empty handed. lol I'm full of myself tonight. Been trimming for 8 hrs today.

Check out Gypsum.

Food grade Gypsum wont change your pH and some of the Ca is water soluble.

Also brings soluble Sulfur into the merriment.

Ca is pretty much not very soluble.

Here's a link about the science and how it works. In soil its a great amendment and I use it, but not sure how it works in a soil-less medium, not my bally-wick.

Gypsum: an old product with a new use | Integrated Crop Management

If you want a liquid form of soluble Ca - egg shells ground into vinegar + wait.

There's a write up by @Emilya on how to make it.

Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

Prolly what you need right there ^^^^

There's other ways too.

Compost tea is for sure a great way. <-- You get a full Monte there.

Hoooold on there buddy. <stomps around in circles thinking up some last words>

What were we talking about? :passitleft:
Good shit, thanks man. I’ve used more gypsum than I’d like to remember, but never for this use case... only to increase drainage (minimally I might add) for clay in yards. I’ll check those posts and appreciate the insight.

Actually, while I’ve got you three here. Here’s a question we probably can’t answer, but can opinionate on:

The reason I’m opting for the SoHum over my coco blend is because it offers a very easy way to do my side by side test of the same phenos using structured water vs. non-structured water. All the pots will have SoHum, and a reservoir that’s recirculating RO water (no nutes). One res has a water structuring device that the recirculating water passes through, the other does not.

The question: I really don’t know much about organic soil, my expertise is first and foremost coco with VegBloom, and then after one RDWC grow I’d classify myself as an expert there too (just kidding, but 14 ounces off a single plant under LED isn’t too bad either)...anyway I digress, the question: if you look at the ingridients in SoHum, and consider AutoPots are bottom feed i.e. the roots wick up the water when they want it, do you think there would be value in adding small like .2EC of sea salt into each reservoir?

They actually do say that, LOL, their exact words are, “If you cannot stop yourself from adding amendments (we know it is a tough habit to break!), then do it on a very small scale and be sure to test your results regularly to avoid an overabundance of nutrients that will hurt the plant’s growth. For example, growers commonly add phosphorous. In one test grow, when it was injected into SoHum Living Soils® during the vegetative phase and tested two weeks later, it had over 2000 ppm, an excess of what you would want.”

Actually I think I just answered my own question, if they’re hitting 2000ppm with a phosphorous add, sea salt wouldn’t work. It’s way to high in ppm, tds, or EC, whichever you prefer. But then again, what momma don’t know won’t hurt her. Maybe one or two granules per res :)

Prolly a good idea. With Auto-Pot - be sure and add in some clay balls or some other COARSE rock into the btm of the pot. About a inch or 2 is good.

This helps keep the soil from getting saturated to the point of anaerobic.

The salts would prolly help with lines staying clean-er

Definitely! I use river pebbles with all of my peppers in AP, but I have a bag of growstones I’m probably going to try this time around only because I already have them pre-soaked and ready to roll. Just depends when the SoHum gets here. This is 3 phenos of a sensi strain I have in a single 4 gal AP with coco, perlite and lined base with river rock. Nutes in res is 1.0 EC TOTAL - comprised of VegBloom, sea salt, and calcium carbonate loaded into a shungite infused RO water. It’s just peak health, gotta be something legit about sea salt, shungite, or light feed.
13B7558B-2D2B-447D-A7B5-5DE9592A57C4.jpeg
8F9E6D1E-06BA-4EAA-B727-D757CBB089A5.jpeg
061ADBD0-EA46-47FC-8FB4-A055C11AA495.jpeg
7E0E74B6-446B-4FDF-A912-1B91B0BCB01C.jpeg

Ok so Coco/Per-lite soil-less medium in Auto-Pots.

Can run your nutes/salts thru the res into the pots.

Not sure how often you need to clean system. SLS-100 might be a thing for you.

Beautiful.

To answer your questions I do run nutes/ salts in the res today - the plants in those pics are being fed nutes out of a res. There’s calcium carbonate (think Elmer’s glue), vegbloom (single part nutes), and sea salt running through a 1/4” line from elevated res into the AutoPot valve. The system is all gravity fed and has no pumps or complex parts, the only thing you would ever need to clean is the res and/or the 1/4” tubing.

So far I haven’t had an issue with cleaning, but with the SoHum it presents an opportunity to literally just fill the res with RO water and walk away. We’re talking 98% hands off growing outside of defole and refilling water. So now the question becomes how good will the weed be? And how long can I be hands off before I get bored and start tinkering with shit lol

Back
Top Bottom