Icemud's Far Red LED Journal - Flower Trigger Manipulation - Budmaster LED Lights

Oh yes flowering time soon with emerson ye i'll have to be more active to follow this one through :thumb:

Yea I'm excited to see the Emerson do some work :) I did notice that running it for 4 hours in the middle of the daylight period has done a few things to the leafs. The Ogiesel which I have grown many times, seems to have thinner leaves, meaning the blades aren't as thick and fat like the typical indica type leaf it usually grows, but slightly thinner with the blades more spread out... kind of odd since its never done this before. I also noticed on my tangies that the leaf blades seem to be more spread out than past grows... so maybe it is somehow effecting the morphology of the plant.. I haven't noticed anything else though, no extra stretch or anything... the true test will be the flowering trigger :)

Sorry I haven't updated any photos in a week, since its still veg, its better I think to space out the photo updates more than flowering as it shows the growth much more dramatically :) I will post some photos tomorrow :0

no extra stretch or anything...

Speaking of stretch, if you don't mind, can you make sure to measure the number of days of the stretch period (from the time you cut the light hours back until the last day of "stretch" growth) and the total number of days in flower until the plants are ready for harvest? I'd like to know if the far red light supplementation affects the 40:60 ratio.

Speaking of stretch, if you don't mind, can you make sure to measure the number of days of the stretch period (from the time you cut the light hours back until the last day of "stretch" growth) and the total number of days in flower until the plants are ready for harvest? I'd like to know if the far red light supplementation affects the 40:60 ratio.

I've never heard of the 40:60 rule, what is that?

Ok!!! so we are back :) with another grow update :)

So things are looking really good in the garden so far, and I am just days away from flipping to flowering. I'm still waiting on my clones to root, and this will be my 2nd attempt at rooting them under my old reflector led. I've had horrible success rates with rooting under the reflector so if they don't root in the next few days, I will take a few more cuttings and put them under my 26w cool blue CFL which always works well. I don't know why they don't like rooting under the reflector, but they just don't and numerous attempts have failed. Maybe its too strong? maybe there is too much red? not sure why... but the CFL works :)

So in the garden, things are looking really good. I had a slight cal/mag deficiency as well as a K deficiency that I have been dealing with but so far it looks like the grow is back on track and the plants are getting healthy again which is good :) Ive been feeding them rotations of compost teas, earth juice teas, botanicare feedings and plain water.

So it should just be a matter of time before the girls get flipped into flowering. Just waiting on those dang roots!!! LOL

I'm also debating whether I should incorporate 2 new strains into my breeding project since technically I can do 8 plants in my tent, and the 9th being the reversed female with CS. Right now I only have 6 strains on hand, so I'm thinking about either popping some of my own creations or some gifted Lanikea seeds I have... the only issue with doing that is I am not pheno hunting first, so pretty much that method would just be a random opportunity to cross strains and hope for luck and success... so still debating whether its worth adding strains and phenos I am unfamiliar with, or just doing the strains I already know well.

Other than that, not much else to report on, the plants are growing fast and so far very happy :)

Here are some pics :)

IMG_20160904_013600.jpg
IMG_20160904_013609.jpg
IMG_20160905_222815.jpg
IMG_20160905_222826.jpg
IMG_20160905_222837.jpg
IMG_20160905_222845.jpg
IMG_20160905_222855.jpg

The 40:60 Rule

Doesn't work for auto-flowering strains, lol. (Well, I guess it might in theory. IDK...)

Ill do my best to observe when they stop stretching but i think this may be a bit challenging since some strains like the tangie continue to stretch even after the flowers set, well into week 4 or 5 where as the ogiesel and black diamond og hardly stretch at all. I will try to see, but I don't think the observations will be very accurate.

Any additional data would be a plus. If it becomes too much like work, lol, don't worry about it. I'm just happy to see that someone who can perform experiments... does. I always had a bit of the "learn by doing" about me when I was young - have the scars and, err, scarred memories to prove it ;) - but now that such is no longer possible for me, I still get to sit back and read about others' fun.

You guys are probably way to advanced for this.
But, when I clone I cover with cut two liter bottle and put in indirect light for ten days. Straight promix
And water usually keppem in veg room down low. 78 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Outta thirty four cuts taken in as many days I've lost one. I dropped it on day six and it had rooted slightly. But alas it didn't make it.

Phrum the light room.

Sometimes a three liter

Phrum the light room.

Any additional data would be a plus. If it becomes too much like work, lol, don't worry about it. I'm just happy to see that someone who can perform experiments... does. I always had a bit of the "learn by doing" about me when I was young - have the scars and, err, scarred memories to prove it ;) - but now that such is no longer possible for me, I still get to sit back and read about others' fun.

What I will do is try to take a flat, horizontal photo with each weeks updates, and I will tape some reference black electrical tape marks on the back wall. Maybe about every 6". Then we can track by the visual when the plants cease to stretch, which I think might be the best method.

The 40:60 rule is interesting, and very surprised I've never heard of it before. Personally I never go by the "recommended" flowering time, and only judge my harvests off calyx and trichome characteristics, but will be interesting to see if it proves true. :) Thanks for sharing the idea and topic... learn something new everyday!

You guys are probably way to advanced for this.
But, when I clone I cover with cut two liter bottle and put in indirect light for ten days. Straight promix
And water usually keppem in veg room down low. 78 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Outta thirty four cuts taken in as many days I've lost one. I dropped it on day six and it had rooted slightly. But alas it didn't make it.

Phrum the light room.

Good suggestion. I usually use 2 liter bottles, with the tops cut off for when I plant clones in soil, and they don't have a good enough rootbase to supply water. Works like a charm.

Yea the issue with my clones is the light... I usually have about 85% success rate under CFL and I have had about maybe a 5-10% success rate under the reflector led, using the same methods, same everything except the light. Its occured many times in the past too as I have tried to clone under the LED and it didn't work. Therefore it leads me to strongly believe that CFL is the way to go for my clones...

Id love to try the budmasters for cloning, but they are far too intense.

I bought a 54 watt screw-in led to originally grow with lol.
How things have changed.
Any how at 40 to fifty inches I can do probably 16 to twenty clones at a time and it works the Nuts. I don't do this any more I just use it to supplement the veg lights. But I do still put clones on that side.
They seem to really like weaker led light as muck as 6500k cfls if not maybe a little more.
I also use pots that when I cut a two or three liter bottle _bottom side up_ they fit snuggly into pot.

Phrum the light room.

420-magazine-mobile83611954.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2100039731.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1351632875.jpg

Phrum the light room.

I just cloned w the reflector led at 3ft w little to no red/bloom. I was impressed as it worked and it is really a grow/bloom light. Having said that, it didn't really root clones well at all but I was not in a hurry so for me it actually was a good thing as for my state restrictions i was trying to waste time. You being in a hurry for sure I would recommend something other than reflectors. Can't wait to see how the 730nm does for you. Thanks again for your work and research man.

How things have changed.
Any how at 40 to fifty inches I can do probably 16 to twenty clones at a time and it works the Nuts. I don't do this any more I just use it to supplement the veg lights. But I do still put clones on that side.
They seem to really like weaker led light as muck as 6500k cfls if not maybe a little more.
I also use pots that when I cut a two or three liter bottle _bottom side up_ they fit snuggly into pot.

Phrum the light room.

Yea I think I'm going to just use my CFL, however last time I was at the electronics store I saw a few white LED strips that were fairly cheap, which I may try out, just to see if they work. We will see.

Here is the way I clone. I use root riot plugs, a humidity dome, clonex, a heat mat, r/o filtered water, and a spray bottle with 1-1-1 b-1, and a 26W cool blue cfl... works like a charm, until I tried the reflector... thats how I know its something with the light whether it be intensity, or spectrum, it just sucks at rooting...

I just cloned w the reflector led at 3ft w little to no red/bloom. I was impressed as it worked and it is really a grow/bloom light. Having said that, it didn't really root clones well at all but I was not in a hurry so for me it actually was a good thing as for my state restrictions i was trying to waste time. You being in a hurry for sure I would recommend something other than reflectors. Can't wait to see how the 730nm does for you. Thanks again for your work and research man.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and its good to know the reflector worked for you. I've had horrible success with it so back to my CFL's this weekend. Can't wait any longer :) lol

Yep, I'm excited too about the 730nm far red! should be very soon :)

How things have changed.

Phrum the light room.

Reminds me of how 2 liter bottles used to come with that extra plastic piece on them..

I used to use them for school projects way back in the day... the plastic round bottom part was perfect for a small soil pot, and since the top fit snug... was an excellent little planter setup or terrarium :)

Yup. Simple and cheap for me and works every time. I have also looked at those same led strips. If you get em lemme know and I'll watch em to see if they work with you.
Lookin good bud

We are only 2 months away before we vote for new presidents, new laws... and all California Residents will have the opportunity to choose whether we want AUMA/Prop 64 to pass... I highly suggest that ALL California residents read the full bill text of AUMA/Prop 64 before you decide to vote... This bill is pushed as a false decriminalization effort in reality it destroys patient rights, still keeps many criminal elements on marijuana, and has too much say on the market...

I don't want to tell anyone how they should vote but I highly encourage you to educate yourself on what this bills will do, and I SUGGEST YOU VOTE NO!!!

VOTE NO on AUMA/PROP 64.

This is NOT the type of legalization we want!!!

notice how almost all the taxes are directed to some form of law enforcement!???

AUMA prop 64 will require your primary care physician to issue your recommendation...how many of your primary care doctors are willing to risk their medical license to do this? How many primary care physicians will do this?

AUMA validates MMRSA since MMRSA was not a voter approved initiative.... restricting rights that prop 215 gave us!!!! Prop 215 WAS voter approved...

if AUMA passes, it give local governments the ability to ban outdoor cultivation!!!

AUMA limits the legal cultivation amount to 6 plants... but does not define what 6 plants... veg? bloom? do clones count? this is not definied...

AUMA only allows the possession of 28 grams (1 oz) at a time... some people like to purchase larger amounts to reduce the price... there is not rational reason why one can only posess 28 grams... when prop 215 allows for up to 8oz of dry plant material. It is also Criminal still with the possibility of jail time if caught posessing more than 28 grams at 1 time by up to 6 months in jail and/or up to $500 fine... (THIS IS NOT LEGALIZING CANNABIS!!!)

if AUMA passes, it will REQUIRE medical patients to have their information recorded in a government database... does anyone trust this??? I for sure dont!!!!! also there is a clause that says that if a records request of patient information is requested, the patient is to be notified within 24 hours... but does not say whether a patient can deny the release of their records... this is wrong!!! Is there a list for those who are perscribed hydrocodine? or oxycontin? is MMJ patient information going to be protected by HIPPA?

AUMA forces price regulation.... why can't you sell your product for less than the next guy if you are able to?

AUMA removes the ability for businesses to give out free samples.... yep, all those going to the cannabis cups, or trade shows used to getting free products... well that will end with AUMA...

AUMA does not discuss the prices/costs of applying and recieving a license. What if this passes and they want $100,000 for a commercial license? this is not described.

AUMA will LIMIT THE DOSES of edibles to 10mg each.

If you are a license holder, AUMA basically removes your 4th amendment right and allows inspections and authority to make examination "search" anytime they want. It requires record keeping for 7 years and if for some reason records are not properly maintained you can be subject to a $30k fine...

a 15% tax will be required on non medical marijuana purchases, raising the costs significantly which only will drive underground business. This is addition to the cultivation tax which the growers have to pay...

Allows for an inspecting "officer" to come in, and if they decide that taxes aren't being paid accordingly, then opens up the ability for all marijuana products to be seized.... and within 7 days those items are deemed forfitted... HMMM don't we already have an issue with civil asset forfeiture in America? isn't this another case of policing for revenue?

NONE of the taxes collected go to the states "general fund"

Those under 21 are still treated as criminal possession. We all know that people under 21 will continue to smoke, and this still will make them criminals, subject to fines and imprisonment. So you can serve our country but can't smoke a joint at 18?

These are just a FEW of the reasons we need to say NO to AUMA!!!!!! there are other opportunities to legalize cannabis in California, and this is NOT the RIGHT time!!!! NO ON AUMA!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom