Ideas for run-off trays?

TheFertilizer

Hey I have been looking for a better solution to this problem for a while and would like help brain storming, maybe some examples of how others have done it.

Right now I just have 18" saucers that are about 1.5" deep, but they don't hold much run-off and they don't dry our very fast.

I have the pots propped up on some open-bodied silverware-drawer-trays that keep the pots out of the stagnant water, so they don't evaporate the snow very fast. Wait I said that... bubblehash, sorry

Anyway I have been siphoning the water out of the trays when they get too full, but that's become a pain. The tube just does r get suction at all times. It works but I'd like better, especially if I am going to start running coco because I expect I will have to deal with a lot more run-off.

@gr865 has my ideal solution in effect. He has a big 4x4 hydro table suspended a few inches off the tent floor with a tray under it and can just drain the hydro table into the tray underneath. Only problem is I can't afford one of those tables.

I am thinking maybe I could DIY something similar out of the bottoms of Tupperware totes? Cut them down, drill holes in the lids and set them atop the totes and then have some kind of spigot tapped into the sides of the totes for drainage.

Problem is I am imagining about 4 and some might block the spigots of others, so I would rather plumb them with some tubing I can tap my transfer pump into, and pump them all dry at the same time.

Any other ideas?

Raise the drip trays on the edge of 2 x 4s, and put a Watts quick connect elbow in the bottoms. Use 1/4" irrigation tubing to drain the run off to another container in the front of the tent. One stop shopping for drainage ;)

I saw some deep boot trays at a grocery store today. Something like that might be a solution. You could also make tray from plywood and 1 X 2 lumber. Use epoxy paint to seal it.

I use egg crate style light diffusers to lift my containers. I saw some plant stands on Amazon that were only about 1-1/2" tall meant for this. They were relatively low cost at $3.99 CAD.

Edit: you can use pond liner in a wooden tray. This would probably be cheaper than epoxy paint.

Raise the drip trays on the edge of 2 x 4s, and put a Watts quick connect elbow in the bottoms. Use 1/4" irrigation tubing to drain the run off to another container in the front of the tent. One stop shopping for drainage ;)

I saw some deep boot trays at a grocery store today. Something like that might be a solution. You could also make tray from plywood and 1 X 2 lumber. Use epoxy paint to seal it.

I use egg crate style light diffusers to lift my containers. I saw some plant stands on Amazon that were only about 1-1/2" tall meant for this. They were relatively low cost at $3.99 CAD.

Edit: you can use pond liner in a wooden tray. This would probably be cheaper than epoxy paint.
I like the lumber and pond liner idea, I thinking about something like that. I have never done anything like that though, I think I could probably borrow the tools I'd need, but dunno what to expect price wise. <$50 would be great

I second Old Salt's pond liner method, it sure beats the crud out of spending big $ on hydro trays. If you wanted to go even cheaper you might try 6mil plastic sheeting but be gentle with it as it's prone to punctures.

Personally, If I'm building something that I think will need to stand the test of time (and my not-so-delicate work ethic), I go with a reinforced PVC sheet. I've had great success with something called Dura Skrim (20mil White pictured). It costs 60% more than 14mil pond liner but its still cheaper and more versatile than plastic trays imo.

My run-off tray is the floor, and it is lined with the same black/white plastic sheeting I use on my walls. I'm not expecting any water on it, but it's there just in case, since I'm just starting "unattended automated watering". The perimeter is raised with 2x2 wood boards, with the plastic "lipped" over the edge, so its like a 2" deep pool... Of course, there is no provision for draining it :(

Anyhow, this is my vote for a liner... :)

I took a quick look on HD, is pond liner supposed to be a film on a roll, or are they hard plastic shells?
I second Old Salt's pond liner method, it sure beats the crud out of spending big $ on hydro trays. If you wanted to go even cheaper you might try 6mil plastic sheeting but be gentle with it as it's prone to punctures.

Personally, If I'm building something that I think will need to stand the test of time (and my not-so-delicate work ethic), I go with a reinforced PVC sheet. I've had great success with something called Dura Skrim (20mil White pictured). It costs 60% more than 14mil pond liner but its still cheaper and more versatile than plastic trays imo.

SkrimFit.JPG

DrainPlate.JPG
What's the 20mil stand for? Always assume it was thickness of the film in milimeters. I can't seem to find a roll of it for less than the trays would cost sadly.

Mil is 1/1000 of an inch, so it's the thickness as you mentioned. Pond liners are generally made of either EPDM or butyl rubber. EPDM cant be welded like butyl but it's cheaper and more common in my experience. Pay close attention to the thickness, you get what you pay for in some cases. 45mil is pretty stout, anything thats under 20mil and not reinforced isn't comparable to most pond liners.

3655i.jpg

Hey I have been looking for a better solution to this problem for a while and would like help brain storming, maybe some examples of how others have done it.

Right now I just have 18" saucers that are about 1.5" deep, but they don't hold much run-off and they don't dry our very fast.

I have the pots propped up on some open-bodied silverware-drawer-trays that keep the pots out of the stagnant water, so they don't evaporate the snow very fast. Wait I said that... bubblehash, sorry

Anyway I have been siphoning the water out of the trays when they get too full, but that's become a pain. The tube just does r get suction at all times. It works but I'd like better, especially if I am going to start running coco because I expect I will have to deal with a lot more run-off.

@gr865 has my ideal solution in effect. He has a big 4x4 hydro table suspended a few inches off the tent floor with a tray under it and can just drain the hydro table into the tray underneath. Only problem is I can't afford one of those tables.

I am thinking maybe I could DIY something similar out of the bottoms of Tupperware totes? Cut them down, drill holes in the lids and set them atop the totes and then have some kind of spigot tapped into the sides of the totes for drainage.

Problem is I am imagining about 4 and some might block the spigots of others, so I would rather plumb them with some tubing I can tap my transfer pump into, and pump them all dry at the same time.

Any other ideas?
Drip trays that are designed to go under a clothes washing machine? They are like 40" X 40"... some even have a drain spout to connect PVC to run off as a drain.

:thumb:

36" x 36" plastic tray.. Ultra Tech is that particular advertisment...

Do you have access to an old tub?
I don't think so but I am curious where you were going with that...

I had an idea last night that might work, though it's a little on the half-assed side...

I still have the big canvas "boat" that came with my tent that is supposed to line the floor. I could just hit that with some flexseal (they make it clear too) or maybe something else (ideas for a professional grade sealant are welcome) along the seams, and maybe an extra thick layer over the mylar for protection against scratches. I could run tubing right down the tent poles to pump it out.

My big worry is just that the mylar isn't super thick and I think moving around the pots and such on the floor might scratch it up enough that I'd need to seal the whole surface area, not just the seams.

I suppose there might be a way to secure pond liner into the boat too? So basically line the boat with the film, trim it so that it fits the shape of the liner, and glue the liner to the boat? I think trimming it might be tricky but I like this idea more than waiting for several coats of sealant to dry.

Damn Fert, I have a wooden 4' x 4' x 4" that I built before I purchased my new tray. It has pond liner in it and a bulkhead fitting that goes through the bottom. If you live near I would give it to you, it works great.

My apprentice uses these containers 2' x 3'. approx. 10 inches deep. He has 4 plants per container.
I built him risers similar to these only they fit his containers perfect. These are in my tray and raise the plants an inch off the tray, I built his to raise the plants 3 inches. He uses a 5 gallon shop vac to suck the water out of his trays.

Re the tub thought: If you could build a low shelf, park the tub on it. Sit your pots in it.

You have a waterproof sloped to drain device. You could put a bucket under the tub drain to catch the runoff. Or even a pump to recirc the fluid.

Smooth surface, easy to clean. Scrap metal dealers or recycle places should have one for cheap.

Damn Fert, I have a wooden 4' x 4' x 4" that I built before I purchased my new tray. It has pond liner in it and a bulkhead fitting that goes through the bottom. If you live near I would give it to you, it works great.

My apprentice uses these containers 2' x 3'. approx. 10 inches deep. He has 4 plants per container.
I built him risers similar to these only they fit his containers perfect. These are in my tray and raise the plants an inch off the tray, I built his to raise the plants 3 inches. He uses a 5 gallon shop vac to suck the water out of his trays.
I thought about some containers like that as well, but I'm trying to keep 9 plants in 3 gal pots in a 3-pot x 3-pot setup. Trying to find the right combination of sizes for bins to fit each is a little hard because they come in all sorts of different sizes. If I could find some 1' x 1' x 4" type trays, lay them in a grid, and put some grating like you showed over the top I think that'd be great. I don't really know where to find grating like that though; maybe some chicken wire.

Re the tub thought: If you could build a low shelf, park the tub on it. Sit your pots in it.

You have a waterproof sloped to drain device. You could put a bucket under the tub drain to catch the runoff. Or even a pump to recirc the fluid.

Smooth surface, easy to clean. Scrap metal dealers or recycle places should have one for cheap.
Ah I see where you're going with that. I think it'd be hard to find one that would fit in a 4x4 though.

I use a water heater tray, it has a side drain hole for easy draining. They come in many sizes. Sorry about the beautiful purple picture.

Back
Top Bottom