Iluvsnow's 1st Grow - DIY Double-Decker Cab - Multi-Strain - DWC - CFL

Very creative use of space, really like this.

nice one
+reps

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by. For The Forum Member Formerly Known As Old Man Clemens (TFMFKAOMC) here are a couple of pictures of my less-than-high-tech method of DWC reservoir changes under a SCRoG:

IMAG10075.jpg

IMAG10067.jpg

Hole drilled in lid, siphon and refill through hole. I pull the lid up just enough to see in to check the level. Some people do sight gauges out of blue tubing, but I didn't want to chance light and water leaks. The stopper for the lid is the rubber end that goes over a table leg, which I bought at Home Depot.

My biggest BB was tucked in so much in my original flower cab that I had to use an inspection camera to check the water level. Talk about a design flaw.

Bon jour!

lol TFMFNAOMC checking in here... I dig that setup. I ran across this post today and thought about our discussion earlier about water removal. - Ever use one of these?

~~

I purchased one at the end of my last grow and wow.... Amazing. The best $13 investment ever....

71KDaDLmCQL_SL1500_.jpg

Just caught up on your grow mate looking really nice, and i am also a newbee to this but IMO that plant 1 page back looks female to me, as i had to do a shitload of research about 1 of my plants that looked like a male however it wasn't :high-five:
Also that is a really nifty idea about using a pump to change the res, does it take all the water out?
Because i bought extra buckets for when i do a res change, however i imagine with the scrog that a pump would be so much easier :)

Anyway mate keep up the good work and Happy Growing :)

Just caught up on your grow mate looking really nice, and i am also a newbee to this but IMO that plant 1 page back looks female to me, as i had to do a shitload of research about 1 of my plants that looked like a male however it wasn't :high-five:
Also that is a really nifty idea about using a pump to change the res, does it take all the water out?
Because i bought extra buckets for when i do a res change, however i imagine with the scrog that a pump would be so much easier :)

Anyway mate keep up the good work and Happy Growing :)

Thanks for stopping by. I can officially say that all my plants (at least the ones in flower) are female. I have one Afghani in the old veg cab that is still unsexed, but I looked at it today and the preflowers look female to me as far as I can tell. I still think it's too early on that one. The Afghani in flower is definitely female, I took another look this morning and saw some pistils. All my other plants are clones (except for those two BBs about to be harvested), so I've been in the clear on those for a while.

My little siphon gets almost all of the liquid out, enough to do the job, anyway. I then fill another bucket with the nutes and water that I'm refilling the bucket with, then I put it on a stepladder and siphon back into the res. I did what will likely be my final res change on my big Khalifa a couple of days ago. It goes through water and nutes so fast there's no longer any point in doing a full change. I added a gallon this morning.

Quick update:
The Afghani has been confirmed female, as previously stated. I love the structure of this plant, so this is good news for sure.

The flower room is full and getting fuller. There are seven plants in there and it is getting busy. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Hold on tight.

The clone I took from the BB while in flower has rooted. I should have taken pictures. The roots were almost a foot long and looked pretty good. I transplanted this one and another Khalifa clone into hempys. They are both looking great as of this morning. There are two more Khalifa clones that have rooted, I'm probably going to keep those around to turn male to get some feminized seeds. After this round I think it's time for some new genetics, but I would like some KK seeds in case it's one I would like to keep around.

Hope all is well, have a great day.

:peace:

Another in a series of overdue updates. I hope all is well.

So I'd like to mourn the loss of this girl:

IMAG10187.jpg

Here she is now:

IMAG11023.jpg

I've been reading a lot about bud washing, so I decided to give that a try. It makes total sense. I washed the hell out of these flowers, and they didn't appear to be any worse for the wear. My trimming skills need work. Here are some highlights:

IMAG10566.jpg

IMAG10478.jpg

IMAG10547.jpg

IMAG10429.jpg

IMAG10367.jpg

I'm leaving the lone BB in flower for a little longer. I'd like to compare harvesting with mostly milky trichomes (that's where the big girl was) vs. a few amber trichomes in there. We'll see what happens.

IMAG102210.jpg

IMAG102110.jpg

That little Platinum P150 is pretty damn bright.

I had to pull some plants out of the new flower cabinet, so I took some pictures in normal light. The stretch is going in full force. These girls are all looking pretty damn good. I've had some holes in leaves (NO signs of pests, however--knock on wood) and a couple of minor deficiencies that were likely due to my own incompetence, but these girls are looking much better that the first round of BBs did. They are growing faster and look much happier.

IMAG10947.jpg

Above--Khalifa Kush, leaning over to the side because it's in between the 96x3 and Mars 900 and can't seem to decide between the two.

IMAG10935.jpg

The entire crew.

IMAG10916.jpg

This is a Blueberry. I topped this one instead of leaning it over like a noob, which is what I did with the other two. Live and learn, right?

IMAG10904.jpg

IMAG108911.jpg

The above two are the Afghani. I really don't think this thing is gonna get much taller at all. It's kind of crazy.

IMAG108812.jpg

Example #1 of the Leaning Tower of Blueberry.

IMAG108410.jpg

Khalifa Kush. This one has a four-way structure from supercropping, not that you can really tell by looking at this picture.

IMAG10859.jpg

IMAG108612.jpg

I just like this picture:

IMAG10718.jpg

The big KK is thriving. It still goes through at least a gallon every day.

IMAG10655.jpg

IMAG10648.jpg

And that's all, folks. My plan is to defoliate in about two weeks (around the 21-day mark) and then again at the 45-day mark. I may not do the Afghani that way since it's supposedly has a much shorter flowering time. We'll see.

looks real nice. How many plants are in rotation right now? It looks overwhelming but maybe its because I am still really new to growing.

Ha. Well, the word "rotation" implies a lot more organization and planning than I have going on right now in the plant department. I have a total of seven in my big flower cabinet, one last Blueberry that is coming down any day in the old flowering space, and another Afghani (also female), the Speed Bud and some more BB and KK clones in the veg cabinet.

I started the Blueberries and picked up the Khalifa as a clone, both were choices that were purely based on availability. These were my only options at the time. Blueberry is pretty nice, so I'm good with it.

Even with many n00b errors I managed to keep them going, and took some clones. A few more clones than I needed, just in case something were to go wrong. I didn't have the heart to cull any of them even though I really didn't have room. Plus at that point my first harvest was still far enough away that something could have gone wrong and ruined it, I chose to keep them all going. I was then forced into some emergency expansions, but I'm much happier with the current setup. I placed an order from Herbies a little into this grow, which is how the freebie Afghanis and the Speed Bud made it into the mix. One of my goals is to have some variety.

Long story short, I had a fear of failure and took a bunch of clones as backup. Now they're big.

Another overdue update. Sorry.

The veg cab is a little different than the last time I took a pic of it. The Afghani is just visible in this pic. It turned out to be a girl and is now shoved against the wall for lack of room because I was expecting one of my Afghanis to be a boy. Two regular Aghani seeds, both girls. A good problem, I suppose. It's sharing the cab with one Khalifa clone and a BB clone. Four more KKs are rooted and ready in the cloner and I just added two BB and an Afghani clone I took from some of the ones in flower. I plan on using a couple of these for some fem seeds soon.

IMG_20150224_113412.jpg

IMG_20150224_113426.jpg

IMG_20150224_113456.jpg

I harvested Speed Bud and my remaining Blueberry.

Here's a before and after for the Speed Bud. There's not much to see. This is what happens when you stunt an auto in early growth:

IMAG11258.jpg

IMAG11316.jpg

I got a few grams from it and learned some stuff in the process, so I'm pleased. I'm more glad that it wasn't my only plant, though!

The BB:

IMAG11268.jpg

IMAG11306.jpg

IMAG11355.jpg

I washed all these just like my first harvest. It went much smoother this time since I had a better idea what I was doing. I've sampled some buds from the first harvest and they are super smooth, which I hear is what is comes from the washing. I see no reason no to keep doing it. It added a little time, but my grow tent was partly under construction during the grow, which I know ended up on the plants. Washing makes sense.

I moved a Blueberry and an Afghani into the old flowering cab under the Platinum P150. It'll be interesting to see what this thing will do considering it's so small. I added CFLs last round, which I'm not going to do this time. LEDs all the way. Well, mostly.

IMAG11591.jpg

The best for last...

The new flowering cabinet is rocking. It got crowded, which I honestly didn't think was going to happen. This is what led to a couple of plants going back into the old flowering cab. I'd rather give the plants some breathing room if I can.

The Khalifa is still a monster. But now it's turning into a frosty monster!

IMAG11624.jpg

IMG_20150224_113221.jpg

IMAG11407.jpg

IMAG11547.jpg

The other two KKs and BBs are busting out as well.

IMAG11715.jpg

IMAG11696.jpg

IMAG11575.jpg

That's all I got. I need to be making dinner now.

:Namaste:

All your works looking good as always mate :)
Even the speed bud was abit of a stuff up I like the look of it haha had the same prob with my first auto, stunting it.
All the rest of your buds look pretty damn delicious would be lovely to be toking on those :)
Good luck with all the rest of your girls :)

All your works looking good as always mate :)
Even the speed bud was abit of a stuff up I like the look of it haha had the same prob with my first auto, stunting it.
All the rest of your buds look pretty damn delicious would be lovely to be toking on those :)
Good luck with all the rest of your girls :)

Thanks man. I kind of grew fond of that tiny little auto. It was "the little weed that could."

I hope all is well in your world.

Update time. I busted out the DSLR today, so no crappy pictures this time! Sorry for the sideways shots though.

Well, it was bound to happen at some point, and it happened. I was visited by the dreaded spider mites. I'm not surprised at all since we have things growing everywhere around here and recently eradicated some on three houseplants. Fortunately I caught them super early during a random leaf inspection and I think I got em licked. I started out spraying some neem/soapy water solution about a week ago, then I came back with some SNS 217 today. After the first spray I ended up taking off a bunch of fan leaves, which I didn't plan on doing but I'd rather lose the leaves than get an infestation.

The old veg cab is chugging along, all the girls seem to be pretty happy.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_022.JPG

Here's the Afghani I was planning on getting rid of because I really don't need it, but as this journal has proven I can't get rid of plants. So I chopped the hell out of it just to see what would happen. The biggest stem I cut was a little bigger than a pencil. It's doing just fine.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_024.JPG

Here's the KK clone, I topped it as soon as it settled into the hempy and it's doing great.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_023.JPG

If you've ever wondered what happens when you take a clone in flower and reveg it, here it is. I wouldn't really even recognize it as weed if I didn't know better. I topped this one once a few days ago. This is how the khalifa started out.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_025.JPG

More clones.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_026.JPG

The Blueberry and Afghani in the old flower cab under the little Platinum P150 are probably my healthiest plants. They did get a couple of spider mites, but picking the infected leaves off and hitting the rest with neem seems to have done the trick. A few leaves have a little nute burn, maybe a little N toxicity, but overall pretty good. I'm pretty happy with these, although the nugs don't seem as fat as the ones under the big lights.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_033.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_035.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_038.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_040.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_037.JPG

And now for the flower cab. All the plants except the big KK have been pretty heavily denuded due to the spider mite visit, but I wasn't too concerned because I had initially planned on a pretty heavy defoliation, then decided against it, then ended up doing it anyway because of the mites. I have some deficiencies that I'm working out. I think I need some more calcium and magnesium, so I plan on bumping up the calcium nitrate and epsom in the next round of ferts that I mix. Fingers crossed. The mag def doesn't seem to be too bad, but the calcium def is worse:

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_011.JPG

The KK is a spindly sativa-ish plant, and I don't think I'll ever just let it go like I did this one pictured below. I'll top or SCRoG all of them from here on out. This one is falling all over itself and is a little hard to keep together. The stems are very skinny and break easily. For anyone growing KK keep some tape and splints handy. The other KK is on the left in this pic, which I topped. Of course it's still gangly, but this one is much easier to manage. I bet it will yield more than the tall KK too.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_051.JPG

The first Blueberry:

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_055.JPG

The leaning tower of Blueberry:

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_054.JPG

The whole gang:

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_059.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_067.JPG

Here she is, the beast. The Khalifa that started out as a little three-inch flowering clone a few months back. The SCRoG is woefully inadequate.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_060.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_061.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_063.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_066.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_065.JPG

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_064.JPG

I have another project in the works for the KK clones that have been hanging out in the bubble cloner for about the last month or so. They've actually grown about three inches since they rooted. Good stuff. I plan on using a shelf at the very tip top of the veg cab for some bonsai mothers, which I should have in place later this week I think. This also gives me an excuse to bring the light I cobbled together for the last BB grow, which I think may be the ugliest grow lamp in the world.

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_027.JPG

Thanks for looking. Have a great evening 420ers.

:thanks:

Hey, thanks for stopping back by. Yeah, sometimes I get busy with stuff around here and the old grow journal falls by the wayside. Glad to see I still have a few people tuning in.

Ha! You like that Khalifa? That one got away from me, no two ways about it. I let it get WAY too big in veg. My hands are pretty average sized, and the bottom of the trunk on that beast is about half the size of my fist, like just the curled knuckle part. None of the buds are really big but there are many, many, many individual buds. It's wild. I hope it's good.

I hope all is well in your world.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom