I'm new at this please help

TWBUDS

first timer ,my seedlings won't grow. '3'x3'x6' grow tent,1500 watt cob led grow light, 5 gal. smart pots,FFOF potting soil with an organic super soil concentrate (I used as directed (bottom third of the 5 gal pot mixed with FFOP), autoflowering seeds. I started the seeds in the 5 gal pots (to avoid transplant shock), 20/4 light schedule. Watered as needed(dry to first knuckle),they grew about an inch or so then stopped .They had their first set of jagged leaves. I pulled them both after 2 weeks of no growth . the roots were black. Temperature between 70 and 80 f, humidity 50%. "am I over watering?

I'm thinking that starting in 5 gallon pots and not moving up is your main problem. There are lots of tutorials here that can get you pointed in the right direction. Listen to Emilya and do a little reading.

Have to disagree on starting in 5-gallon pot being a mistake. I start all my autos in 7-gallons and they grow fine. Most likely it was overwatering or possibly the soil being too "hot". Most autos are light feeders, so I cut my normal PHOTO soil mixture with an additional 20% of either coco or pro-mix. Genetics also is a factor...I have had some autos thrive and others die in exact same soil composition.

first timer ,my seedlings won't grow. '3'x3'x6' grow tent,1500 watt cob led grow light, 5 gal. smart pots,FFOF potting soil with an organic super soil concentrate (I used as directed (bottom third of the 5 gal pot mixed with FFOP), autoflowering seeds. I started the seeds in the 5 gal pots (to avoid transplant shock), 20/4 light schedule. Watered as needed(dry to first knuckle),they grew about an inch or so then stopped .They had their first set of jagged leaves. I pulled them both after 2 weeks of no growth . the roots were black. Temperature between 70 and 80 f, humidity 50%. "am I over watering?

Sounds very much like you read the right manuals and took advice before starting. My money is on your soil burning your roots, but I’ve no experience with it. I don’t see why planting them in their final pot would be an issue. Was the soil moist when you potted them? Is it airy. Did you let it dry out? Did you water a circle around the plant?

Have to disagree on starting in 5-gallon pot being a mistake. I start all my autos in 7-gallons and they grow fine. Most likely it was overwatering or possibly the soil being too "hot". Most autos are light feeders, so I cut my normal PHOTO soil mixture with an additional 20% of either coco or pro-mix. Genetics also is a factor...I have had some autos thrive and others die in exact same soil composition.
And now Blew, I have to respectfully disagree with you too. You just explained why it is important to successively up-pot, even in autos. There is no excuse not to do this other than laziness. It may work "fine" as you say, but at what cost?
An auto is a plant just like any other, and to properly water it and to force it to reach out with its roots to form a solid rootball, you have to restrict the size of the container. Up-potting does not have to cause any stress to the rapidly growing plant, and by properly maintaining the container size to a bit smaller than that of the plant, you are in control. You have an eye on the water usage, and you know when a plant is thriving or failing. Most importantly, you are building a rootball.
It is a myth propagated by the sellers of auto plants, that everything about an auto is somehow easier than growing normal plants... you dont have to regulate lights, they are light feeders, you dont have to do the uppotting thing.... its all balderdash. How else would they be able to market an inferior product, and one that can approach but never exceed its photo counterpart without the ruderalis gene. For me, the only use for an auto is outside when the sun isn't very cooperative about getting into a short flowering season... I would never grow them indoors.... but to each his/her own, as they say.
I do not lose plants. Never have and never will because of my methods. If you have had plants die due to "too hot" soil or overwatering, you are doing something fundamentally wrong. This is not that hard.
Autos are light feeders? How could they not be voraciously hungry as rapidly as they grow? Please check your premises on this one. Take any plant and give it bigger lights, it gets more hungry. Force a plant to have bigger roots, it gets more hungry. A strong plant is always hungrier than a weak and struggling one.
So no, you can not convince me that you have a better way. You do not. Sorry to be so blunt, but plant lives are at stake here... and there are people coming to these forums for advice as to how not to have failures. Not any.
I also have proven over and over and over again that my methods produce larger, higher quality and better producing plants, consistently, because my roots are stronger... way stronger, than a plant that was struggling in a sea of soil to figure out how to expand into a rootball but never could in the time allotted. Sadly, until you do a side by side test, you may never really know the true capabilities of the strains you are growing.

Don't think anyone needs to have their feathers ruffled here. A difference of opinion occurred and I think the OP can get what he needs by reading this thread and following a few links in peoples signatures.

Keep trying! Learn every day. That's the lesson here. Hope you get a gigantic yield next time bro :)

Sorry butted in at the wrong time....again.
LOL

To not get too far off track, OP, you should try again and eliminate options. I would start with the soil and/or water. Something in the soil/water made the roots do that. Too many waterings? Maybe there is some bad fungus in the soil that attacked the roots? Not enough oxygen?

For what its worth, I have also started out seedlings in 5 gallon buckets and they turned into bushes. Its also not the humidity, 50% is not the issue.

I am not a professional by any means but I have had great results and my plants have never slowed down from transplanting. I know when and how often to feed/water my plants and what the plant is reacting to and since I'm in supersoil I can be in more control of giving my plants the nutrients they need during veg and bloom. My main fear about planting directly into a 5 gallon or 7 gallon pot would be overwatering or not being able to react because there is so much stagnant water. That being said I know plenty of people up pot once from a 1 gallon pot into their final pot and also have great results because if the nutrients are in the soil the plant will take it when it needs it.. To each their own. Take it easy - jodyhighrollr

Unfortunate IMO. TRULY Sorry you are misunderstanding still. I really truly wished at one point, years ago, there was a way to have an actual conversation with you about it.

I wrote a nice response explaining some things. Then saw what happened.
Fundamentally it just takes more skill the bigger the pot with an indoor grow. If you are not watering but once every 2 weeks the soil has to be close to perfect. If you can't be correcting because you are not adding anything you have to have it dialed. It takes more skills than small pots and up sizing and watering heavy with run off.

The pros out here use big tubs and no run off and top feed organic. That is much more difficult for a newb bit somone like you or I could run a ton of plants very easily watering once a week that way. What you preach is easy peasy leamon squeezy which is great for beginners and ... you may recall...before your sticky you and I were constantly preaching draught training and run off watering among other things... for newbs.

Advanced techniques are things some people ask about. I grew that monster I always show in a 20 gallon no transplant. What is wrong or Horrible about that? She grew super fast.

There are many ways to grow... but understand... the number one way as I understand it the pros do ... the big time pros... if not sucked into the hydro mess...are doing no drain. Because it is easier, cheaper and less work. They are doing it in large totes with compost and top feed. That is not a good place IMO for beginners.

But a 5 gallon pot to start a seed in is no horrific mess of a violation of any sort. It is just more difficult than a 3. And much more difficult that a 1...for about 3 weeks.

But a 5 gallon is a fine place to start if you have moderate skills. A newb should be able to handle it if following a decent draught training technique. Done correctly they can have autopilot growing in 5 gallons and get great results for a standard sized plant.

First n formost this post is not directed to anyone specific or anything negative to anyone. Best advice I have is to research who you take advice from. Get on their profile, view their pics, check out their grows. If someone is producing flawless plants n chronic nugs compared to someone growing deficient plants, whispy buds then common sense says go with the better.....not always I guess but if someone preaching can't walk the walk then look for info elsewhere. Anyone can get on here n say whatever they want. I use to try n help others but tired of arguing with people. Now I just read the new forums, vote on contests, no more teachings from myself which is kinda sad because I've helped multiple people in person who now grow grade A buds. No I don't know everything, I still learn everyday after 20 years growing.
I think alot of confusion and arguments come from people with good info, good knowledge but applied to the wrong application. Whatever style a person chooses be sure to use the proper method for that style. If you want hydro then learn about ph, nutrients, ph swings n how it benefits the plant. Organic soil, learn how to ph the soil, how to test soil n watch how from wet to dry ph fluctuates n good soil will buffer your water/feed....don't get hung up on what any 1 person says.

I always up pot mine and they love me for it...
Here's my own cross (totally by mistake, but a good one) of a grand daddy purp momma and a liberty haze poppa @ 6 weeks w/4 more to go....can't see the goodness till you get up close :slide:
6wks.JPG
GDP x Liberty Haze.JPG

Back
Top Bottom