Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

I ended up with about 150 grams of good bud and I threw away about half as much mildew bud. I chopped early due to powdery mildew so I could have gotten substantially more had I gone the remaining 2 - 3 weeks.

I ended up with about 150 grams of good bud and I threw away about half as much mildew bud. I chopped early due to powdery mildew so I could have gotten substantially more had I gone the remaining 2 - 3 weeks.

Is that dried? Over a 1/4 pound isn't bad.

Is that dried? Over a 1/4 pound isn't bad.

Yes, dried. Well, my first ever harvest was 1/4 ounce so I do like the trend. :ganjamon:

In other news. The majority of the grow room mods are done. I fired up one of my new 400w CMH bulbs today. This is my first experience with HID bulbs - big difference from the LEDs I have been using. It really lights up the room and you can really feel the energy coming off of it. I'm planing to run two of them vertically in cool tubes.

I have bato buckets on order - should be here in a day or two. I like these better than DIY and they were not a big expense. Now I have about 20 of those TJs buckets that I have to find a use for. I'm about to mix up a batch of #4 perlite 60/40 with Canna coco coir for the batos when they arrive.

There are nine 2 inch seedlings rooting out in hempy cups under an HGL LED panel. The little seedlings look kind of funny next to these large #4 perlite chunks, though they really seem to like it. They have each attached themselves to a big chunk and you can see the root hairs exploding on them. I was skeptical at first but now I think the bigger the better when it comes to perlite.

The beans popped 10 days ago and I just started them on a modified Lucas formula. The nutrient solution is so nice and clean - unlike all that organic soil stuff.

So ..I guess the LEDS are not your cup of tea then??

Okay for Veg. but then again so is CFLS right...and Nothing to write home about with regards to the flower/Bud yields?

If everything is perfect they still do not produce on par with HIDs. Irish Boy is testing out a new LED panel that seems promising. Still kinda pricey though.

Yes. I don`t think they compare watt to watt, and for surely Not less watts than a HID for same product either in Quality or Amount produced.

And the cost Well LoL around 5000.00 for 3 600 watt panels, and ya all know what say 3 600 Watt HIDs wd. cost ...

Yes I know the power used is the BIG difference from one to another ..But really what does that mean if they don`t Produce the Same end result...

So I guess at this point I just don`t see it... Yes will wait and see How his 600 watt grow turns out in the end....

Don`t get me wrong, I wd. love to use LEDS , but I as others are Pissed off what MOST of the Led suppiers are claiming this and that...

There is a place for them, but maybe more for the rich and famous $$$$ WISE. bUT If I and others can Veg. and Clone the same with simple CFLS etc.And they are no better for Flowering etc. then why bother...

I`ll stop complaining now But Looking forward for a good end result in the 600 W now being tested as well as other grows...

Personally, I think the pendulum has swung too far to other side - against LEDs

I do not believe that a 90-126 watt will get anywhere near a 400 watt HPS - I mean seriously, this would require a 3-4 gram per watt result.

I do believe they will perform equally or better than just watt for watt though. I also do respect that some LED vendors are derating their claims to realistic/conservative levels.

There are grows appearing that indicate that 1-2 g/watt is possible with LED. Most of the higher end HPS seem to top out around 1 g/watt.

(except of course for the vertical style HPS which have turned in 2g/watt - but this is the exception)

Personally, I think the pendulum has swung too far to other side - against LEDs

I do not believe that a 90-126 watt will get anywhere near a 400 watt HPS - I mean seriously, this would require a 3-4 gram per watt result.

I do believe they will perform equally or better than just watt for watt though. I also do respect that some LED vendors are derating their claims to realistic/conservative levels.

There are grows appearing that indicate that 1-2 g/watt is possible with LED. Most of the higher end HPS seem to top out around 1 g/watt.

(except of course for the vertical style HPS which have turned in 2g/watt - but this is the exception)

Brother Soniq
there are more LED grows going now then ever before with more companies and lights in the game. More ads, more threads and more fighting... is that the pendulum swinging against LEDs?
havent found any LED grow doing a gram/watt let alone 2 and most grows end like slimms with people having to ask for the results cause they were dissapointing. during our grow I kept telling scum to show the HPS plants more to show the difference right off the bat but he didn't want the flame wars cause you could clearly see the difference!
But even with watt for watt equality where is the benefit of buying LEDs for most people? Look at PITs 3 plants under that 600 w panel,,bet he would have no problem putting more plants in that tent but will the panel cover it cause a HID surely would!
008250.JPG

Brother Soniq
After trying everything to improve the previous LED results scum just gave 6 week old dissapointing budding plants to another friend to finish with his HID's.
If I had paid for the lights I would feel severely ripped off.
Even those that didn't pay for their lights are all politically correct until some one asks for the results, I know I was....lucky for you there's no law that advertisers must prove their claims or benefits cause you would be hard pressed to prove one. No one's knocking though. I bet there are more posters like myself willing to support your mag in some way $$$$$ and are not sure how, maybe requiring less LED hooplah...LOL:ganjamon:

I think the argument should end on the note that it is all about coverage at this point. You can't expect these units to cover more than they are big. Meaning, if an led is 12" square, you should have that panel covering 10-12" square. I see the plants are slightly directly under the light in your pics tester, but you can see where the coverage would be an issue.

Granted these claims are bunk and the company should not be making such claims. On any note! I have purchased many of these units with my own hard earned cash. I don't feel ripped off, but for the fact they lied to sell them at a higher volume. I think a lot of us might be doing the same, maybe not even realizing it; if we had the opportunity.

Slight rant. Directed at nobody specific.

LED's are the future...yet they are rocking my world right now!

-Go Green-

I'm too busy to start a new journal so I will put some updates to my activities here.

I moved the 9 (5 Jilly Bean, 4 L.S.D.) seedlings into the 2.5 gal bato buckets with 60/40 #4 perlite to Canna coco. They are 16 days old today. The ceramic metal halide (CMH) has been switched on with a 12/12 schedule. Today is day one of flowering. I held back 5 more of the Jilly Bean seeds for an experiment. These are being germinated now and will be grown under 12/12 light from seed. We will compare JB plants with a two week veg under 24/0 vs 12/12 from seed.

I'm glad to have the CMH on - it provides just enough warmth so I no longer need to use the heater during lights on and its beautiful light - like going outside. I have not yet run the ducting for the cool tube. When I add the second light I will duct if the temps get pushed up too high. So far so good.

My tap water has an EC of 3.5 (250 ppm @ 0.7). I am told this is somewhat hard. I would love to use RO, but it's impractical for me to filter or use my distiller so I may start bringing in some bottled distilled to mix with the tap to get the TDS down a little.

Purple Cindy and Purple Diesel seeds are on order and will be germinated when they arrive. I plan to find mothers for all four strains. I will graft them all to a single mother plant so I will have one mother plant of many strains.

Other stains I may want to work with: Sweetest Cindy, Sweet Tooth, MK Ultra, Jack the Ripper and Kalichakra. I am looking for good yield with great taste and smell, short to medium flower times and nice dense colas. If you have comments good or bad about any of these strains please chime in.

I will get a journal set up when I have time and get some pics up to share.

Re: Conclusion

I started this grow to learn about growing cannabis and in that regard it has been a screaming success. I'm still debating what to do with the bud.

A short list of lessons learned:

• FFOF needs at least 25% perlite to drain quickly enough for cannabis.
  • Plants placed in FFOF need no additional nutrients for 3 - 4 weeks
  • Higher temps cause more rapid uptake of nutrients - back off on nutrients in the face of rising temperatures
  • When scrogging use fewer plants - over crowding leads to stunted growth, and in winter months the possibility of powdery mildew
  • Dr. DooRights will cause pistils to turn brown and dry up - recommend to avoid this remedy during flowering
  • AzaMax works great on aphids
  • Many problems can be avoided with the right preventative measures: sliicon, neem, and a clean well ventilated environment, are some of the things that can be employed during veg to insure a clean flowering cycle
  • Neem during veg thwarts most pests as well as a number of diseases, and it can be used systemically when combined with Dutch Masters Penetrator
  • Filtered / RO water is probably Ca deficient. Supplement with CalMg Plus
  • A good PH meter, humidity and temperature control are all necessary elements to help insure a successful grow
Thanks to everyone who visited and contributed to this journal. Special thanks to lv420man, grooster, irishboy, trichtone, go green, sfhaze, jflynn83, jamesbo, MMRC Grower, BongmasterBen, Bolivar, botanist85, harryo, Soniq420, Scooby_Snacks, WarBux79, HealingKronic, Bionic, Eagle1, The Lurker, leferikson, Joe100, crazy horse, therootsofwis, DroJo, DocBud, Linkorien, Slowpuffer, ClarkKent, flowerofpower, Raisin J, Screwnuts33 and the staff at 420 Magazine. +Reps when I can.

Mods, please move this thread to Completed Journals.
just finished your grow journ & got alot of knowledge. i did my 1st grow with a 600w hps & had heat probs. with a high ass utl. bill. i was thinking of trying the new led's. seems like the led's give off little heat & go easy on the utl bill but the harvest is small. quess i have to decide on the lesser of two evils. thanks for sharing your journal:peacetwo:

You are most welcome - glad it was helpful. In addition to those issues there is the cost of the LEDs and the fact that we are still searching for a decent LED panel. The 600w that irish boy is testing shows promise but the jury is still out.

Which one we lookin at here slimm? The retro white? I have a phillips supply house around, surely they can get them or have them. WHat else are they used for? Just simply swapping warehouse etc/ lighting and placing in a more white light?

THanks bro. Hit me up.

-go

Yes, gg the retro white is the one. Remember to specify horizontal or vertical - you must hang them in the correct orientation. You must use a magnetic ballast - will not work with digital. Their market positioning is for warehouses where a full spectrum HID light is desired. They throw off a bit of UV - you can put them behind glass if you don't want that spectrum. I use pyrex so that some of the UV gets through to the plants.

I recommend you order them from the link above as there is a high initial failure rate on these and the company I linked does a lengthy burn-in on each of the lamps - apparently the bad bulbs fail pretty quickly.

Friends Don't Let Friends Consume Mold/Mildew/Rot

Think about what you really want to put into your body first. I'm personally adverse to exposing myself to fungal spores especially in my lungs so I would consider an oral route preferable. Whether that is making a BHO concentrate and consuming the end product or baking with cannabutter is up to you but I would consider any food to have a short shelf life. Sorry you have to make this decision slimm.

Posting late, but I STRONGLY agree with munki. If getting bud-borne PM is anything like disseminated histoplasmosis (caused by getting a fungus in your lungs), you don't want it(!!!!!).

I've never (knowingly) consumed moldy buds regardless of the method of consumption, and never will even if it means I have to dispose of 100%. But then again, my lungs are kind of shot. Still...

I agree with you both - cleaner weed is better weed. Although as others have pointed out - we are all probably smoking more PM then we know.

Since my harvest I have been doing some more reading. I have not tried this. The claim is that you can douse them with H2O2 just before you harvest (same day). The H2O2 is supposed to kill and remove all of the spores on the leaves. It will not kill the pm in the plant but I think its the spores that bother lungs.

I'm taking more preventative measures now - I'd rather not have to think about how to get rid of it again.

Back
Top Bottom