Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

Oh yeah, I'm just getting started irish. I think I am done with soil indoors though. Next for me is to tear down and sterilize the grow room and then set up for the next grow. I need to install AC, insulation and upgrade the fresh and waste water handling. I plan to use hempy buckets and / or a DWC system for perpetual harvest. I'm designing right now with Google Sketchup. As for lighting, I am considering experimenting with CMH.

keep me posted for sure on ur new grow. good luck brother.

They look great. So I'll throw in some thoughts to ease your mind. Regarding the pistles. Run with it, man. Live it - love it. Different strains have different colors and change at different times. Take your best guess. You have the gear to judge ripeness by the Tris so do that. And if the rest of the plant is healthy then just look and learn from the pistles. In the old days outside of only one crop a year - that is exactly the kind of thing that a 20 year grower was 20 times better at spotting in his strain.

Now your carbon filter on the other hand... ;)

You can set them up that way, and they will work fine. But that outer layer is an air filter. It is meant to clean the big stuff from the air when being SUCKED in. So you can remove that if you want and there will still be the carbon filter inside. The problem with putting it at the end of your chain like that is that you will reduce the lifespan by about half because the air isn't filtered and eventually the carbon will clog faster. Also, those fans are really meant to pull air. Your model is designed to overcome some resistance in the exit, but not really push through a carbon filter.

The best thing for your setup would be to hang the filter just inside the duct/vent in your wall, then put the fan just outside the wall. That would be the ideal setup for any room - the greatest possible efficiency from all components because they're a short distance and straight in line, and you keep the heat from the fan outside the room.

+Reps for a great grow with an exciting finish building daily!!!!

:rollit::peace:

Thanks for the comments Papa. Now that the grow is done I am reconfiguring the fan to pull air through the filter as part of the grow room remodel.

Thanks for the comments Papa. Now that the grow is done I am reconfiguring the fan to pull air through the filter as part of the grow room remodel.

Right On. I just went back and re-read the last page - somehow I had missed the bottom half. Sorry to hear about the pm. Harvest looked fun though. And you list of learned things was awesome. If I could rep you again I would.

When you change the config of the carbon filter you can also put that at the end of ducted lights if that helps. Suck through the filter, then the lights, then out. Also, if you keep the same short run but change the order, I bet you will want a fan speed controller. $25 online. You'll be able to cut the fan speed to about half of what you had I bet. Will be MUCH more quiet.

GL with everything, and I think that was a FANTASTIC first grow. I can't say it enough.

I'll certainly be looking forward to your next.

:peace:

Re: Conclusion

Thanks for the shoutout homie! That is a sweet list of lessons right there! Continuous learning is what its all about! Hells yes.

Hope all is well slimm!

-GO

I started this grow to learn about growing cannabis and in that regard it has been a screaming success. I'm still debating what to do with the bud.

A short list of lessons learned:

• FFOF needs at least 25% perlite to drain quickly enough for cannabis.
  • Plants placed in FFOF need no additional nutrients for 3 - 4 weeks
  • Higher temps cause more rapid uptake of nutrients - back off on nutrients in the face of rising temperatures
  • When scrogging use fewer plants - over crowding leads to stunted growth, and in winter months the possibility of powdery mildew
  • Dr. DooRights will cause pistils to turn brown and dry up - recommend to avoid this remedy during flowering
  • AzaMax works great on aphids
  • Many problems can be avoided with the right preventative measures: sliicon, neem, and a clean well ventilated environment, are some of the things that can be employed during veg to insure a clean flowering cycle
  • Neem during veg thwarts most pests as well as a number of diseases, and it can be used systemically when combined with Dutch Masters Penetrator
  • Filtered / RO water is probably Ca deficient. Supplement with CalMg Plus
  • A good PH meter, humidity and temperature control are all necessary elements to help insure a successful grow
Thanks to everyone who visited and contributed to this journal. Special thanks to lv420man, grooster, irishboy, trichtone, go green, sfhaze, jflynn83, jamesbo, MMRC Grower, BongmasterBen, Bolivar, botanist85, harryo, Soniq420, Scooby_Snacks, WarBux79, HealingKronic, Bionic, Eagle1, The Lurker, leferikson, Joe100, crazy horse, therootsofwis, DroJo, DocBud, Linkorien, Slowpuffer, ClarkKent, flowerofpower, Raisin J, Screwnuts33 and the staff at 420 Magazine. +Reps when I can.

Mods, please move this thread to Completed Journals.

I still think you did a great job. Keep it up, you inspire a lot of people with your LED grow. Best of wishes and good luck with your future endeavors

Thanks for sharing your grow with us slimm. Too bad about your powdery mildew problem though.

I dig around a bit on your question, and would recommend you read the following link. Essentially though the summary is in this paragraph
Infected buds may appear normal; but are internally dusted with white powder (which cannot be removed by drying), and have a stale, musty/moldy smell when dry. Smoking or trimming infected buds can cause sickness and lung infections, and is not recommended. Infected leaves should be discarded. Lower buds are the most susceptible.

How do I Recognize, Control, and Prevent Powdery Mildew?

We'll move your grow to our Complete Journals archive per your request. We look forward to following your next effort. Much peace and respect from 420 Magazine :surf:

Awesome summary there. You really learned a lot during this grow and so did I. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post. I don't know anything about PM but I will now thanks to your experience.

Here's a thought, how many sacks have you gone through in your life? How many of those sacks did you know anything about? I am just pointing this out because with all the unknown weed I have smoked (all of it)...I have probably smoked everything from PM to Spider Mites etc, pesticide, herbicides, insect eggs and parts, bug sh!t and this list goes on. I once found a grasshopper leg in a sack. My point is we have all more than likely smoked some stuff we had no idea about. If you can't see anything through your loupe then its microscopic amounts your dealing with which will be burnt. Do you vape? This would probably help alleviate your concerns. With that said...now that you know...do you still want to partake? I probably would... (this is all my opinion no facts have been harmed or misrepresented in the making of it)

I will follow your next attempt, make sure to post a link plz.

L8ER

You are right. I'm sure we all get plenty of mold and insects, etc. from other sources. So I finally broke down and gave it a test smoke. It has been curing for about a week now. It tasted ok, for 1 week cured weed, and there are no problems with it other than its not very potent. That's not really a so bad since I have quite a bit of it - I will just smoke more =)

About my next grow. I just ordered the 400w CMH bulbs. I have a Pyrex tube that will be used as a vertical cool tube. Depending on how hot the bulb is I may hang two of them. Been collecting hempy pots from the local Trader Joe's - they are about 3 gallons each. I'm growing from seed this time. I have some seeds, here is what I have: TGA Jilly Bean, HGS Purple Cindy, HGS Purple Diesel, Rez Chemdog Sour Diesel, Mod Menage a Trois, and Barneys Farm Sweet Tooth. I may not run all of these this next grow but this is what I have to choose from.

I finished insulating the new grow room (6 x 10). My todo list:
  • redo the water in
  • redo the waste water out
  • finish building the 24 site aero cloner
  • buy or build a veg tent since most of the room will be used as a flower arena
  • buy a magnetic ballast or for the CMH(s)
I expect to launch the next grow in one to two weeks time. Stay tuned...

You did a great "What I Learn list" Looking forward to reading about your next grow. A friend of mine set up a 6 X 12 room, with a lot of great ideals, 'stats and timers and fresh air, and water in and out.
I'm looking forward to see what you do.

If the smoke dont get you that high, I know this has to be hard to do but with the PM I dont think I would smoke it.
Did you take a picture of it? The ideal of vapor it..... I dont see this being that much safer.
I help make cold water hash once, with the screens and all might be another ideal.

Been doing this over 30 years now, and never got sick from all the bags I bought most from Mexico, and who know what was in there....

I get a kick when I go see the DR and they listen to my chest and tell me to take a deep breath, something I been doing for over 30 years now, and they always say your lungs sound good.

Iv420man,
I got scheduled for a chect xray when i was about 63 yrs. old, and i remember that I was scared to death !! I could not believe it when the girl told me that my lungs were very healthy !! I smoked cigarettes for 45 yrs/ and like you a ton of that good ole mexican brown !! And lived in L.A. for 15 yrs., back in the 60s and 70s, when it was really smoggy !! Go figure !! I'm not complaining !!

I think we now know another good used for our loved Meds

hallo, looks good.. ++

Thanks man!

You did a great "What I Learn list" Looking forward to reading about your next grow. A friend of mine set up a 6 X 12 room, with a lot of great ideals, 'stats and timers and fresh air, and water in and out.
I'm looking forward to see what you do.

If the smoke dont get you that high, I know this has to be hard to do but with the PM I dont think I would smoke it.
Did you take a picture of it? The ideal of vapor it..... I dont see this being that much safer.
I help make cold water hash once, with the screens and all might be another ideal.

Been doing this over 30 years now, and never got sick from all the bags I bought most from Mexico, and who know what was in there....

I get a kick when I go see the DR and they listen to my chest and tell me to take a deep breath, something I been doing for over 30 years now, and they always say your lungs sound good.

Thanks for the kind words lv420man. In addition to some new technology in my next grow I am also reconfiguring things to be simpler and more automated. We'll see how it goes shortly.

I think my harvest, with whatever little bit of PM is in there, is probably as clean or cleaner than most of the weed I have bought in the past. The nutes I used were all organic and no strong chemicals were used in the grow. There are probably only trace amount of PM in the buds, if any, as I spent a lot of time inspecting each bud. I'm no longer concerned about PM in the Blue Dream. The Blue Dream is not super potent but it works. I just vape about double the amount I normally use and I'm good to go. It tastes alright as well. The HKxSS does not seem to get me high and tasted kinda funny - I will probably be trashing that ~70 grams.

I know what I did to get it and I have learned so I will minimize the risk of getting PM again. Use a humidifier to keep the room from getting too humid, run a heater at night to keep the temps from dipping too low, don't over crowd and feed with silica and azamax + penetrator in veg. Those measures should keep the chance of an infection quite low.

Being an electrician, I took great pleasure hooking up my friends Med grow room. We have 6 timers and a 'stat that is hook up to an exhaust fan.
His room is close to 6X12 and we ran almost 250 feet of #12 romex to hook every thing up.
I haven't look but I think it would be fun to have an area on here just about hooking up lights, timers and goodies.

Re: Harvest

Should I make butter, BHO or just trash the lot of infected buds?
Comments are greatly appreciated - please help me figure out what to do with this bud.

Think about what you really want to put into your body first. I'm personally adverse to exposing myself to fungal spores especially in my lungs so I would consider an oral route preferable. Whether that is making a BHO concentrate and consuming the end product or baking with cannabutter is up to you but I would consider any food to have a short shelf life. Sorry you have to make this decision slimm.

I am familiar with that method and I agree that its the way to get the fastest growth possible. I'm looking to go in a different direction. I want faster growth than possible in soil, improved response time to changes in the nutrient mix, and I want to keep it simple. I was considering DWC, because of its simplicity, and stumbled upon passive hydro while researching that. I think passive is the best method for my situation.

What makes a passive system best for you?

The ebb n flow system I am using is pretty simple with only a small magnetic pump and 24 hour socket timer being the only moving parts. Gravity does the rest giving the roots all the air they need. Is the passive system smaller? I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

Being new to hydro simplicity and safety is what I like about passive over other forms of hydro. With passive I do not have to worry about equipment failures, power outages, and reservoir temps. Passive seems easy to start out with because the setup is so simple and the equipment costs are low.

I will eventually add a reservoir, pump and some spaghetti tubing to keep them watered automatically. At that point its not very much different from what you are doing munki. I will probably re-evaluate this over the next couple of months as I get more experience with hydro.

Being new to hydro simplicity and safety is what I like about passive over other forms of hydro. With passive I do not have to worry about equipment failures, power outages, and reservoir temps. Passive seems easy to start out with because the setup is so simple and the equipment costs are low.

I will eventually add a reservoir, pump and some spaghetti tubing to keep them watered automatically. At that point its not very much different from what you are doing munki. I will probably re-evaluate this over the next couple of months as I get more experience with hydro.

Be sure to show us what you come up with. :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom