Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

Thanks and welcome MMRC. I wish I could have kept the momentum going but the drainage on this medium is making it slow going. I see a lot of perlite in my future!

Yes. Perlite is an awesome thing. : ) I could be mistaken, but I've read that making perlite 1/3 of your medium is a good way to go. I'm a hydro grower, so drainage is the least of my worries.

Good luck and I'll be watching this one. I've always wondered about LED's.

Growitled is another outfit that makes or distributes leds. They seem to make less outrageous claims.

My grow has numerous restrictions in size (42"h x 60" l X 24" w), ventilation ( only changes the air once per minute maybe) making heat another issue. I am going to go with this guys (Growitled.com) stuff as much because I need to as have to. Cheers

My grow has numerous restrictions in size (42"h x 60" l X 24" w), ventilation ( only changes the air once per minute maybe) making heat another issue. I am going to go with this guys (Growitled.com) stuff as much because I need to as have to. Cheers

I'm interested in what difference you found between the Chevy Light and Growitled companies.

From what I have found, sometimes the more willing salespeople are the most slimy....

Use your best discretion everybody.

-Go

Week 8 of Flowering

The plants are continuing to mature. Buds are beginning to put on some bulk. I am starting to see new white pistils again - this is a welcome sight given that I have been looking at nothing but brown pistils since I used the Dr DoRights a couple weeks ago. Serenade was applied to keep PM in check - I saw one small spot of it; its pretty well under control.

On to a few photos...

The first photo is taken from the front of my storage room toward where the tent used to sit. I walled off the back half of the room and installed a door to one side. All seams have been caulked so the room is air tight. I have run a duct from the new grow room up through a vent in the ceiling of the outer storage room. This serves to bring in air from outside. Air from the room is scrubbed and vented into the outer storage room through the top vent next to the door.

DSC_0001_1.JPG

Looking at the same wall but from inside the grow room to show the ducting next to the door.

DSC_0004_2.JPG

DSC_00018.JPG

Here are a few plant shots. Nothing to spectacular - Its still kind of hard to get around in the room so I'm not spending much time taking good photos. The light hanger, table, and all the equipment is coming out and the room is getting reconfigured as soon as this grow is complete. I plan to have a pretty interesting setup for the next round!

DSC_00145.JPG

DSC_00085.JPG

As you may be able to see I have been pulling buds at the edges of the light out of the screen and under the light. I am finding that the buds need to be directly under the lights to get much growth. A few T5s flanking these LEDs would probably make a big difference in yield.

DSC_00077.JPG

DSC_00065.JPG

DSC_00056.JPG

As soon as the pistils get more filled in I will take a few macro shots of the buds. I'm getting ready to harvest - watching the color of the trichomes. There are a lot of cloudy trichomes but very few amber yet. I will be building a drying chamber over the next week in preparation for the harvest.

Just found a bud with PM on it. I removed and destroyed the bud. I turned off the lights and sprayed with a 10% milk solution. I think I may harvest this week. Its getting close to harvest anyway, and I think I would be wise to just finish this before there is another PM outbreak. I will give this some thought - comments and suggestions are welcome.

Very beautiful Scrog Slimm. You do good work bro. Scrog is painstakingly too long of a process for my poor soul, or that would be my growing method of choice.

Beautifully conducted bro...very nice.

-Go

Thanks for the compliments gg. My next grow will be nice because I will not use a screen. Its useful but like you say, it takes a lot of work and patience. Actually if you look at some of the photos you can see where I got frustrated with the screen in a few places and cut it to allow access. If this goes on much longer I am likely to cut the whole damn thing off! I think I scrogged a little too aggressively in my quest to maximize yield. The plants are a little crowded and growing slowly because of it. I like the way Rumpleforeskin uses the screen - just as a means of stabilization. He lets the plants grow right through it and does little to no training. I may do this.

Heck yes, all you need is a basic structure, even a stake if you need. I like to put screws into the outside of my pot, say 4-10 screws depending on pot size, and then you can tie that bitch down and wrap it around the screw, and continue around the pot. I guess it's basically LST eh, it's not like I made this up, it's just what I used to do lots. Then it is just a matter of timing, and I think if you know your strain well enough to know how it will act, ie: stretching, etc. then you will be able to do this very successfully.

I am a middle of the road guy, I don't like a lot of little plants, but I don't want to wait for a few giant plants either. Medium sized, medium height. But that's whats so great about LST you can get them just the right height, unless of course they are more sativa dominant and the stretch is unstoppable.

There are so many things I want to do! I can't wait to see what you do next slimm. Are you keeping your units? Do they satisfy your needs thus far?

-Go-

Heck yes, all you need is a basic structure, even a stake if you need. I like to put screws into the outside of my pot, say 4-10 screws depending on pot size, and then you can tie that bitch down and wrap it around the screw, and continue around the pot. I guess it's basically LST eh, it's not like I made this up, it's just what I used to do lots. Then it is just a matter of timing, and I think if you know your strain well enough to know how it will act, ie: stretching, etc. then you will be able to do this very successfully.

I am a middle of the road guy, I don't like a lot of little plants, but I don't want to wait for a few giant plants either. Medium sized, medium height. But that's whats so great about LST you can get them just the right height, unless of course they are more sativa dominant and the stretch is unstoppable.

There are so many things I want to do! I can't wait to see what you do next slimm. Are you keeping your units? Do they satisfy your needs thus far?

-Go-

I really don't know what I'll do with them. The HGL lights did not meet my expectations. They are great on all counts except their coverage area is too small and their penetration is too weak. The buds grown under them are slightly smaller and less dense than HID grown buds and the plants need to be really close under the lights. I would really like to see bigger buds so I will look for another solution.

Now that I have made a completely enclosed grow room I can add an AC unit. Since heat is no longer an issue I can go HID if I want. I have been looking into a 600W and also looking at the the CMH bulbs. The CMH looks like the best option as far as spectral output and reduced heat. So far it is only available in 400w though. I could use the LEDs as supplemental light toward the end of flowering - the HGL units cause the buds to get more trichomes for some reason.

For efficiency sake I want to run the light vertically. I am thinking about a clever approach to DWC with a raceway in a vertical / stadium configuration. I'm not sure the LED panels would work very well in that situation. The HID will though and then I can use the LEDs in a veg chamber - they work great in veg. If I don't find a use for them I may just sell them.

Nice work Slimm, I'm having good luck with the Haight lights, would love to see what they can do with a screen

Thanks sfhaze. I will stop by and check out your journal shortly.

Thanks for the compliments gg. My next grow will be nice because I will not use a screen. Its useful but like you say, it takes a lot of work and patience. Actually if you look at some of the photos you can see where I got frustrated with the screen in a few places and cut it to allow access. If this goes on much longer I am likely to cut the whole damn thing off! I think I scrogged a little too aggressively in my quest to maximize yield. The plants are a little crowded and growing slowly because of it. I like the way Rumpleforeskin uses the screen - just as a means of stabilization. He lets the plants grow right through it and does little to no training. I may do this.

yes thats why less is more sometimes. i was thinking that must be a pain in the ass to train, then to take off when ready to harvest is going to suck probably?

i think 3 plants is max on SCROG. but rumple found out that he got more yield with 2 plants instead of doing 3.

I really don't know what I'll do with them. The HGL lights did not meet my expectations. They are great on all counts except their coverage area is too small and their penetration is too weak. The buds grown under them are slightly smaller and less dense than HID grown buds and the plants need to be really close under the lights. I would really like to see bigger buds so I will look for another solution.

Now that I have made a completely enclosed grow room I can add an AC unit. Since heat is no longer an issue I can go HID if I want. I have been looking into a 600W and also looking at the the CMH bulbs. The CMH looks like the best option as far as spectral output and reduced heat. So far it is only available in 400w though. I could use the LEDs as supplemental light toward the end of flowering - the HGL units cause the buds to get more trichomes for some reason.

For efficiency sake I want to run the light vertically. I am thinking about a clever approach to DWC with a raceway in a vertical / stadium configuration. I'm not sure the LED panels would work very well in that situation. The HID will though and then I can use the LEDs in a veg chamber - they work great in veg. If I don't find a use for them I may just sell them.

Thanks sfhaze. I will stop by and check out your journal shortly.

a 600w hps would rock things out for you. even though the three 126w led lights you have are claimed to be = to 1000w hps that BS and a 600w would smoke them. DWC is also a great way to grow IMO, i also like the humpty buckets. i have no idea about CMH? but either way ur buds look good. have you thought about adding a sulfur burner in ur room for the PM problem?

Back
Top Bottom