Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

a 600w hps would rock things out for you. even though the three 126w led lights you have are claimed to be = to 1000w hps that BS and a 600w would smoke them. DWC is also a great way to grow IMO, i also like the humpty buckets. i have no idea about CMH? but either way ur buds look good. have you thought about adding a sulfur burner in ur room for the PM problem?

Here's a link on Cermic Metal Halide (CMH)

A sulphur burner is a good suggestion, unless it stinks up the whole house. How effective is sulphur and how close to harvest can it be used?

Here's a link on Cermic Metal Halide (CMH)

A sulphur burner is a good suggestion, unless it stinks up the whole house. How effective is sulphur and how close to harvest can it be used?

i dont know i never used them before but i no its for PM, and most big grows always use them. their is allot of info on the web about when to use them. i know it will mess with a co2 controller if placed to close to it

lookin good slimm let me know if you do decide to sell those lights. My friend already has two and wants more. im ready for irish boys test of that 600 i want that thing bad but im gonna wait on irish because i was gonna wait on th e 180 vs 126 test but i was too impatient and got 4 126s 2 for me 2 for friend and i dont want to spend even more money and feel slighted again but i do feel led are on the verge i see my current grow prob gonna wind up with about 1 GPW or close and i can live with that

you should try hydrogen peroxide 35%food grade it kills all bacteria fungus and gnats check earophonic supersonic great info for any kind of grow system its in an ol cannibus culture mag

I used this on a tomotoe plant and on some outdoors buds and the buds grew bigger than the ones I didn't spray. It is good for pest control and gives the plants more o2, I read

Just found a bud with PM on it. I removed and destroyed the bud. I turned off the lights and sprayed with a 10% milk solution.

It would be cool to see some before and after pic, not sure what PM looks like.

I used this on a tomotoe plant and on some outdoors buds and the buds grew bigger than the ones I didn't spray. It is good for pest control and gives the plants more o2, I read

I'll look into this - sounds great to me.

It would be cool to see some before and after pic, not sure what PM looks like.

Hmm, well if I am lucky there will be no more PM to photograph! If I do find some I will take a pic and post it. It looks like white powder on the leaves and its very fine. If you have a loupe or a scope you can see very fine strands of webbing within the powder as well.

Death to that PM! Stuff scares me. I don't want some bullsh!t PM coming in and ruining all my hard work. I will definitely deploy this measure if need be. I just have to keep my humids in check Religiously! So, milk or h2o2?

It turns out that I when I was vegging these plants and filling up the screen I went too far and filled the screen too full. Plants need more room to breath. How do I know this you ask?

Well I noticed that there were some buds beneath the screen that were all tangled up and on closer inspection I found there to be some PM in this snarl! So, I removed the bad bud, then entirely removed the screen (took me a bit of time to cut that screen out of all the plants) and spread the plants out a bit, then hand sprayed each and every bud with Serenade. That should knock out all the PM on the outside of the plant for 5 days or so. I am going to start flushing today and harvest before any more PM shows up.

Question. These plants are systemically infected with PM. I have removed all of the external outbreaks and carefully inspected for any more signs of it. Are these plants safe to smoke in this condition, should I trash the entire harvest, or make hash / butter with it all?

I woke up this morning and found another bud with PM on it! So, I decided to harvest before any more damage is done. What a job! My son and I meticulously examined every bud and separated the buds with PM on them from the others. It looks like about 20 - 30% of the buds went into the PM pile. It's not a loss though because we are water curing the PM buds and will be using them for butter or BHO. The smokable buds are air curing in the grow room.

damn that sucks are you still gonna be able to give a gpw because i think you did pretty good hate the pm but other than that nice grow man

I think it is cool Bro that your son helps out. My sons just grew up and bought me a bong and a glass pipe for Christmas. I think I could trust my 21 year old, and keep his mouth shut, but my youngest still needs a few more years before I show him my ladies.

Harvest

Buds are done hang drying and ready to go into mason jars to be cured. Hanging time - 3 days. I decided to go for a quicker dry rather than risk any more issue with this grow so the dry RH was kept at 45%. The buds are mostly small and airy. Note that I chopped this about two weeks ahead of schedule due to an outbreak of powdery mildew. The buds smell about like I would expect - I hint of dankness with a dry hay / grass smell mixed in. The Blue Dream smells sweeter than the HKxSS but neither smells indicate any problems. The buds would have probably swelled a bit if the grow had not been halted. No smoke report yet, I will wait for feedback before I smoke any of this, see below.

Amounts:
Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk - 78 grams
Blue Dream - 86 grams
PM Infected Buds - 75 grams (est.)
Total harvest - 240 grams (est.)
With ~350 watts of LED lighting, that equals roughly .68 grams per watt.

Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk
DSC_00038.JPG

Blue Dream
DSC_00047.JPG

I need some help deciding what to do with this crop. We inspected the buds carefully for powdery mildew and put all of the buds with no signs of PM into the "smokable" grouping. What would you all recommend I do with the "smokable" buds? Is it safe to smoke even though there could be trace amounts of PM? Should I be safe and trash it or give it a smoke? If I do smoke it, how will I know whether its clean or has PM in it - are there telltale signs of PM in the smoke?

Roughly 1/3 of the crop was found to have visible signs of PM. I placed these infected buds together with the trim into bucket for water curing. I submerged it all in a weak solution of H2O2 and water to remove all of the water soluble compounds (I think PM is water soluble). I am draining and refilling the solution daily. Man does it stink the first couple of water changes! Like a sewer, but much less strong on the third day. For those that have water cured before - is the fowl smell expected? I was thinking about making butter with this lot. If I do this I will cook it for a few hours in water and butter then allow to cool and pull the butter off the top of the water. Will this isolate the THC from the PM? Alternatively I could make BHO with the infected buds. Should I make butter, BHO or just trash the lot of infected buds?

I'm not averse to buying medicine so if the consensus is to throw out some or all of this harvest I will do that. My main goal in doing this was to learn about growing cannabis and this grow has been an excellent lesson. Thanks go out to everyone who participated!

Comments are greatly appreciated - please help me figure out what to do with this bud.

Conclusion

I started this grow to learn about growing cannabis and in that regard it has been a screaming success. I'm still debating what to do with the bud.

A short list of lessons learned:

• FFOF needs at least 25% perlite to drain quickly enough for cannabis.
  • Plants placed in FFOF need no additional nutrients for 3 - 4 weeks
  • Higher temps cause more rapid uptake of nutrients - back off on nutrients in the face of rising temperatures
  • When scrogging use fewer plants - over crowding leads to stunted growth, and in winter months the possibility of powdery mildew
  • Dr. DooRights will cause pistils to turn brown and dry up - recommend to avoid this remedy during flowering
  • AzaMax works great on aphids
  • Many problems can be avoided with the right preventative measures: sliicon, neem, and a clean well ventilated environment, are some of the things that can be employed during veg to insure a clean flowering cycle
  • Neem during veg thwarts most pests as well as a number of diseases, and it can be used systemically when combined with Dutch Masters Penetrator
  • Filtered / RO water is probably Ca deficient. Supplement with CalMg Plus
  • A good PH meter, humidity and temperature control are all necessary elements to help insure a successful grow
Thanks to everyone who visited and contributed to this journal. Special thanks to lv420man, grooster, irishboy, trichtone, go green, sfhaze, jflynn83, jamesbo, MMRC Grower, BongmasterBen, Bolivar, botanist85, harryo, Soniq420, Scooby_Snacks, WarBux79, HealingKronic, Bionic, Eagle1, The Lurker, leferikson, Joe100, crazy horse, therootsofwis, DroJo, DocBud, Linkorien, Slowpuffer, ClarkKent, flowerofpower, Raisin J, Screwnuts33 and the staff at 420 Magazine. +Reps when I can.

Mods, please move this thread to Completed Journals.

Re: Conclusion

I started this grow to learn about growing cannabis and in that regard it has been a screaming success. I'm still debating what to do with the bud.

A short list of lessons learned:

• FFOF needs at least 25% perlite to drain quickly enough for cannabis.
  • Plants placed in FFOF need no additional nutrients for 3 - 4 weeks
  • Higher temps cause more rapid uptake of nutrients - back off on nutrients in the face of rising temperatures
  • When scrogging use fewer plants - over crowding leads to stunted growth, and in winter months the possibility of powdery mildew
  • Dr. DooRights will cause pistils to turn brown and dry up - recommend to avoid this remedy during flowering
  • AzaMax works great on aphids
  • Many problems can be avoided with the right preventative measures: sliicon, neem, and a clean well ventilated environment, are some of the things that can be employed during veg to insure a clean flowering cycle
  • Neem during veg thwarts most pests as well as a number of diseases, and it can be used systemically when combined with Dutch Masters Penetrator
  • Filtered / RO water is probably Ca deficient. Supplement with CalMg Plus
  • A good PH meter, humidity and temperature control are all necessary elements to help insure a successful grow
Thanks to everyone who visited and contributed to this journal. Special thanks to lv420man, grooster, irishboy, trichtone, go green, sfhaze, jflynn83, jamesbo, MMRC Grower, BongmasterBen, Bolivar, botanist85, harryo, Soniq420, Scooby_Snacks, WarBux79, HealingKronic, Bionic, Eagle1, The Lurker, leferikson, Joe100, crazy horse, therootsofwis, DroJo, DocBud, Linkorien, Slowpuffer, ClarkKent, flowerofpower, Raisin J, Screwnuts33 and the staff at 420 Magazine. +Reps when I can.

Mods, please move this thread to Completed Journals.

hey man at least you have learn some real important things, i learn most of those things the hard way also. but thats the learning curve we go threw, its make us all better growers. every grow things usaly get better and better because you learn how to talk to your plants and learn to know what they want and when they want it. this was a great grow and thanks for posting it, hope to see another one from you?

Oh yeah, I'm just getting started irish. I think I am done with soil indoors though. Next for me is to tear down and sterilize the grow room and then set up for the next grow. I need to install AC, insulation and upgrade the fresh and waste water handling. I plan to use hempy buckets and / or a DWC system for perpetual harvest. I'm designing right now with Google Sketchup. As for lighting, I am considering experimenting with CMH.

Back
Top Bottom