Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

Re: Harvest

Roughly 1/3 of the crop was found to have visible signs of PM. I placed these infected buds together with the trim into bucket for water curing. I submerged it all in a weak solution of H2O2 and water to remove all of the water soluble compounds (I think PM is water soluble). I am draining and refilling the solution daily. Man does it stink the first couple of water changes! Like a sewer, but much less strong on the third day. For those that have water cured before - is the fowl smell expected? I was thinking about making butter with this lot. If I do this I will cook it for a few hours in water and butter then allow to cool and pull the butter off the top of the water. Will this isolate the THC from the PM? Alternatively I could make BHO with the infected buds. Should I make butter, BHO or just trash the lot of infected buds?

I'm not averse to buying medicine so if the consensus is to throw out some or all of this harvest I will do that. My main goal in doing this was to learn about growing cannabis and this grow has been an excellent lesson. Thanks go out to everyone who participated!

Comments are greatly appreciated - please help me figure out what to do with this bud.

Make some oil with it. Soaking it in ISO will kill anything and you'll have some great honey oil too!

I agree with you both - cleaner weed is better weed. Although as others have pointed out - we are all probably smoking more PM then we know.

Since my harvest I have been doing some more reading. I have not tried this. The claim is that you can douse them with H2O2 just before you harvest (same day). The H2O2 is supposed to kill and remove all of the spores on the leaves. It will not kill the pm in the plant but I think its the spores that bother lungs.

I'm taking more preventative measures now - I'd rather not have to think about how to get rid of it again.

I hope you're talking about your roots...lol

Here's a couple of fixes:
Suffering from powdery mildew? That's that white, powdery growth on top of the leaves–it almost looks like flour-- it can kill your plants. Here is the simplest way of getting rid of it:

-Go to your local garden shop, or nursery, and buy a bottle of potassium bicarbonate

- Mix an ounce of potassium bicarbonate in a gallon of water and 1.5 cups (12 oz, 340 grams) of milk–I prefer non fat, because it is less oily–but whole milk works as well

-Spray on your plants or dip them in it. It kills the living fungus and the potassium bicarbonate creates an alkaline environment that hinders germination of spores.

Next one:
1Mix one tablespoon baking soda with one gallon of near-room temperature water.
2Add one or two drops of liquid soap to help the solution adhere to the plant.3Spray the affected areas with the solution.4Repeat as necessary.
5Understand why this works. This solution changes the Ph balance on the surface of the plant, making it an unsuitable environment for powdery mildew to proliferate.
Tips
To make in smaller "doses", mix 1/2 tbsp of baking soda with 1/2 gallon of near room temperature water. Add 1 or 2 drops of standard liquid soap. Try to get soap without any added lotions or that "Keeps hands soft", as these don't change the Ph as much as standard soaps do.
Warnings
Do not eat baking soda unless completely dissolved. Undissolved baking soda is known to cause major stomach problems. More about this and daily doses should be located on your current baking soda box.

I'm too busy to start a new journal so I will put some updates to my activities here.

I moved the 9 (5 Jilly Bean, 4 L.S.D.) seedlings into the 2.5 gal bato buckets with 60/40 #4 perlite to Canna coco. They are 16 days old today. The ceramic metal halide (CMH) has been switched on with a 12/12 schedule. Today is day one of flowering. I held back 5 more of the Jilly Bean seeds for an experiment. These are being germinated now and will be grown under 12/12 light from seed. We will compare JB plants with a two week veg under 24/0 vs 12/12 from seed.

I'm glad to have the CMH on - it provides just enough warmth so I no longer need to use the heater during lights on and its beautiful light - like going outside. I have not yet run the ducting for the cool tube. When I add the second light I will duct if the temps get pushed up too high. So far so good.

My tap water has an EC of 3.5 (250 ppm @ 0.7). I am told this is somewhat hard. I would love to use RO, but it's impractical for me to filter or use my distiller so I may start bringing in some bottled distilled to mix with the tap to get the TDS down a little.

Purple Cindy and Purple Diesel seeds are on order and will be germinated when they arrive. I plan to find mothers for all four strains. I will graft them all to a single mother plant so I will have one mother plant of many strains.

Other stains I may want to work with: Sweetest Cindy, Sweet Tooth, MK Ultra, Jack the Ripper and Kalichakra. I am looking for good yield with great taste and smell, short to medium flower times and nice dense colas. If you have comments good or bad about any of these strains please chime in.

I will get a journal set up when I have time and get some pics up to share.

Have you looked into grafting, and if so, have you attempted this? Any link to info would be great.

Good job on that last grow also. Bummer about the PM buuut, ISO is a great idea. I actually prefer eating my ISO over smoking it (takes .5-1g to do the job for several hours). Anyone tried vaping ISO (if so, how)?

Hey slimm grafting isn't that hard but just like taking cuttings takes a bit of practice but once you get it, its a piece of cake. Just remember to get the cambium layers together and don't touch the cambium layer while making your cuts. Just the salts from your hand will kill it and that is the active growing layer that you need to grow together to have a successful graft union. Can't wait to see how this goes. I have wanted to try this for a long awhile with cannabis but never gotten around to doing it. Done it with a lot of other plants.

:peace:

Hey Slimm!

Just read your journal; good job with all those curve balls you had to deal with.

I hope you post some of your hempy bucket grow... it sounds a lot like what I want my buddy to try for his summer grow.

Anyway, +reps for sharing your grow!

I agree with you both - cleaner weed is better weed.
I'm taking more preventative measures now - I'd rather not have to think about how to get rid of it again.

My thoughts exactly. As they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I have been chronicling my hempy grow in photos. I have been remiss about posting them. I will get something started this weekend.

Have you looked into grafting, and if so, have you attempted this? Any link to info would be great.

Good job on that last grow also. Bummer about the PM buuut, ISO is a great idea. I actually prefer eating my ISO over smoking it (takes .5-1g to do the job for several hours). Anyone tried vaping ISO (if so, how)?

A Ti pipe is the way to go with concentrates. AquaLabs has a nice one.

High Slimm,

Great job on this journal. I feel like I learned a lot through all your trials and tribulations... at least I've got a folder full of notes in my dock!:goodjob:

I'm very interested in SCRoG, (I've got very little headroom, and a 1000w MH/HPS light), but man, harvesting out of chicken wire seems kinda rough. I've seen 2x2 plastic deer netting, but I can only find 330' rolls for big bucks.

I was thinking of weaving 30# monofilament in 2" squares on a pvc frame. I'm thinking I could just snip individual strands and pull them thru, rather than pulling a screen up... whaddya think?

And, reps on ya for taking the time to pass on all your experiences:thumb:

I'm very interested in SCRoG, (I've got very little headroom, and a 1000w MH/HPS light), but man, harvesting out of chicken wire seems kinda rough. I've seen 2x2 plastic deer netting, but I can only find 330' rolls for big bucks.

Just saw through the trunk, unhook the chicken-wire, and you and a spouse/buddy carry the screen of buds to your harvesting table. Or you can just clip individual buds/branches while keeping the screen in place and the plant alive, but this can be a bit of work if the buds are growing through the screen (part on top, part underneath) if the buds are bigger than the holes.

Most hardware stores carry 1" and 2" chicken-wire in "short rolls" of 25', 50', and 75' as well as the full rolls. They also sell welded wire in various widths and hole sizes (1"x2", 2"x2", 2"x4", etc.) by the foot. It's more expensive than chicken wire but much thicker and sturdier.

Your fishing-line idea might have merit. I would definitely use the higher-rated line like you mentioned to prevent disaster, lol.

but this can be a bit of work if the buds are growing through the screen (part on top, part underneath) if the buds are bigger than the holes.

That's kind of what I'm worried about. I'm in construction, so I have plenty of wire and wire related equipment...but, I'm a klutz, too, so I try it avoid it when I can. I hate bleeding<G>

I've also got rolls of 30# test for making up leaders. Haven't been fishing for big stuff for while... hoping I can catch some big buds:Rasta:

Haven't been fishing for big stuff for while.

Me either and I probably won't have much time for it this year. Sucks. I hope to have the time (and money) either next year or the year after to take a vacation to Louisiana and try my hand at catching some alligator gar. I read a great story about the awesome fight a couple of guys had catching one, working it, and getting it into their rowboat. And the even bigger fight they had once they did (the one guy only got a broken arm). Turns out they only shot the thing four or five times so instead of being dead it was just really pissed off.

Sounds like a blast!

Aligator_Gar_1.jpg

View image in gallery

Impressive fish. We used to catch musky in Michigan. Not quite as scary as those gar but it's a little creepy pulling a four foot fish with big teeth out of the ol' swimming hole.

Back
Top Bottom